Skip to content

Patch status

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Workaround idea: Can you release a special client that requires authentication against a steam account possessing a specific game? Runic Games did it with Torchlight 2 for their non-Steam Matchmaking Service (if you bought it via Steam and need to register a Runic account, which requires either a CD-Key or a link to a Steam account that possesses the game).

I know it's a little more work, but that way you are not giving out "free games". You still need either a Beamdog version or a Steam version. Linking can be unique to prevent piracy (a steam account can only be linked to one Beamdog account)

It depends on the relation between Beamdog and Steam, from what i saw, Beamdog answer to ATARI that has relations with steam, so it's probally much more a question of ATARI move itself to make a Beta patch avaliable on steam than anything Beamdog can really provide.

Of course what i'm saying here need confirmation, i just guess this info based on what i regulary see in this forum.

The beta patch on steam however wouldn't be a source of bug reviews cos in fact it would be a bit hard to differ what is a bug introduced by the patch itself and what is just an problem between the Steam engine and the beta patch and the steam engine with the user PC.
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013

Workaround idea: Can you release a special client that requires authentication against a steam account possessing a specific game? Runic Games did it with Torchlight 2 for their non-Steam Matchmaking Service (if you bought it via Steam and need to register a Runic account, which requires either a CD-Key or a link to a Steam account that possesses the game).

I know it's a little more work, but that way you are not giving out "free games". You still need either a Beamdog version or a Steam version. Linking can be unique to prevent piracy (a steam account can only be linked to one Beamdog account)

That's not the problem, using a separate launcher inside steam isn't anything new, plenty of games do so.

The problem is that it's completely unproductive for overhaul to do it. They get way less money if you buy the game in steam compared to directly from them.

First they get a lower % of the sale(they get their cut _after_ steam takes a 30% of the sale) and on top of that there has been plenty of offers where you could buy BGEE for 5$ or less(4$ is the lowest I've seen it, I think) so in the end they need to sell 8 games or so in steam just to earn the same that they do if you buy a single one directly from them.

Plus, if Atari is the one that manages the game in steam, all benefits go to them first so overhaul has to wait for Atari to give them their share, and with the bankruptcy I don't think that's precisely a fast process.

With that in mind is kind of logical if they don't want to put any effort into adding extra value to the steam version since it would hardly pay for itself and in the worst case end up costing them money, be if from developer hours, missed direct sales or both.

I've been using steam for 9 years and BGEE was the first non-steam(preorder)/non-gog game in 4-5 years that I bought so I'm as annoyed as anyone(possibly more than most) about us not getting steam keys when the game was released there and about the steam version being "2nd class", but I don't think we can blame them for focusing their efforts in what actually gives them money.

Just my opinion.
    elminster
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    @Kamuizin
    I agree with much of what you said, but...
    kamuizin said:

I don't think his post is abusive as some ppl vouch but then, each one with his/her own mind in the subject.

He called the devs liars and then he talked about how he was going to pirate the game. How is that not abusive?
    kamuizin said:

@Dee gave a fun answer with an subject too serious

Huh. I thought Dee's response was completely reasonable. Is the level of patch-rage really that high?
    kamuizin
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    I think the important thing to remember is that the end goal isn't the Beta, it's having an ACTUAL PATCH released. Beamdog is going about it in the fastest way possible. What they have already is grand and expansive and in-depth and other wonderful adjectives (at least I hear so...), but such comprehensive changes needs comprehensive testing. Providing an open Beta is the FASTEST way to get that done. This helps EVERYONE, even those using Steam. No point releasing a half finished Beta to a bunch of customers that are going to complain when it doesn't work (you know, cause it's a Beta...) when all that will do is slow down the actual work - a point made again and again and again in this thread and elsewhere...

Bottom line is changes and improvements are coming and Beta testing will help speed that process along, but the Beta testing itself isn't the goal...frankly I might not even use the Beta to play (I'm not as serious about BG:EE as many of you are, though I enjoy it immensely) until it becomes an actual update. I don't know the game well enough to spot most bugs and I don't want to have it crash on me the few times a week I do get to play...
    [Deleted User]JairyannaNecdilzorStarflower2525
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    alnair[Deleted User]
    Autequi said:

@Kamuizin
    I agree with much of what you said, but...

kamuizin said:

I don't think his post is abusive as some ppl vouch but then, each one with his/her own mind in the subject.

He called the devs liars and then he talked about how he was going to pirate the game. How is that not abusive?
    kamuizin said:

@Dee gave a fun answer with an subject too serious

Huh. I thought Dee's response was completely reasonable. Is the level of patch-rage really that high?
    I believe you're right about my understand about @Dee answer, @Autequi. It was more a way to simplify his views for the customers than a prank about the patch issue, well then, my sincere apolgises @Dee for my misunderstand of your words.

My mention of making fun of the subject (last paragraph in the ps) more towards @AndrewFoley ironic post, while fun and i'm as a witness took some pleasure from the joke, it's not much professional for someone representative of beamdog.

About being abusive, well i didn't had this feeling, i just saw an frustrated client with an expected outraged behavior, maybe i'm being too nice, as agressive comments are also abusive in this forum (i believe) and he was certainly agressive in his statements.
    AutequielminsterStarflower2525
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Yeah little harsh on @AndrewFoley I think @Kamuizin especially since he wasn't really making fun of the content of the post itself, besides he's one of the writers, I'd be disappointed if all of his posts lacked humour! ;)
    edited August 2013
    yes, but the subject is serious, that kind of comment could make the guy flame even more.

While as @Dee said the devs are also forum users, so is comprehensive that they play, joke and make fun around, here in this thread, the subject was opened by trent to relate an official information, people whom represent Beamdog has many rights and prerrogatives, but also some duties towards the maintenance of the company image.

As the spider man's uncle used to say, with great power come great responsibilities. I know many jokes made by some of the people involved with the moderation and even from the devs in other threads, i laught many times about them, but the place (an official info thread) and the moment (as an answer to an dissatisfied customer) isn't proper.

All due respect to all moderators and devs, i just think the importance of an person can't be something intimidating to me speak the truth plain and simple. I'm not the best example of civility as sometimes take courses of actions much more serious than the simple joke made (@Dee knows it, he already moderated many of my comments in this forum), but then, i'm a simple customer not an representative of Beamdog, anything i do will only reflect bad in my person and only in it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think that mole hills often become mountains, too, when placed in the wrong hands.
    Paulg
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Oh

And from experience, not as a developer, but managing them, I've become immune for "if you wait just a while longer we can also do this and this" and in their enthousiasm they dont realise they are already long overdue

Your opinion is completely worthless. Non-programmers who 'manage' programmers are almost always the problem in any development process. Building software is non-analogous to nearly any other process, and your type has no grasp on that.
    alnairPadenton
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    Isn't the patch released yet?... OH MY GOD. Devs have said that the reason why they couldn't release the next patch is due to the dispute with Atari, haven't they? And the problem was solved a few weeks ago... What's the next problem?
  • Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161
    Hoo said:

Isn't the patch released yet?... OH MY GOD. Devs have said that the reason why they couldn't release the next patch is due to the dispute with Atari, haven't they? And the problem was solved a few weeks ago... What's the next problem?

Actually, they said they couldn't work on it due to the dispute on Atari. No one claimed it was all ready to be released, but for the dispute. So the next problem is simply the previous problem, which is the usual problem of having to actually finish the product before releasing it. Doesn't usually work very well if you do it the other way around, at any rate.
    alnair
  • StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    enneract said:

Oh

And from experience, not as a developer, but managing them, I've become immune for "if you wait just a while longer we can also do this and this" and in their enthousiasm they dont realise they are already long overdue

Your opinion is completely worthless. Non-programmers who 'manage' programmers are almost always the problem in any development process. Building software is non-analogous to nearly any other process, and your type has no grasp on that.
    My opinion is worthless? Thanks for showing just how clever you are.

The problem with programmers is that they very often lose touch with the commercial proces. Programmers make very bad managers as is proven time and time again. This is not an art project, unless they dont want to be paid at the end of the month.

But maybe "your type" , as you so cleverly put it, doesnt get that.
    alnairThe_New_Romance
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I won't let this thread become a shouting match or a place to exchange insults. If people can't be civil with each other, I will close it.

Since it may have been missed before, I'll say it again:

The rules about flaming, trolling, and respect apply to everyone, even when you're addressing someone you feel is being disrespectful. If you have a problem with a user, please send me a PM instead of attacking them directly on the forums.

If you have a question about the Site Rules, feel free to send me a PM.
    jamesker
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    With the new rendering engine coming out soon, I was curious What kinds of video hardware does everyone have? Do you have problems with your hardware or not? I am running a 550 Fermi that works brilliantly with the game.

As far as I know Intel HD4000 has problems, but I was curious if other integrated solutions are problematic. To my knowledge discrete graphics have no problems whatsoever.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Aye carumba! what a mess this thread is becoming. I go away for 6 months and come back to this nonsense and is giving me a migraine! Civility has become a lost art with the advent of new media and has turned the internet populace in general into an anger management councillor's new wet dream. Lots of new business. I've lost it once or twice myself regarding some trolls who just would not calm down and speak intelligently about their issues, but instead insisted on venting for the sake of venting without any facts or points made. And making a jest does not mean a person doesn't take something seriously. Often times humor is used to try and de-fuse a potentially contentious issue, I do it a lot myself.
    I seem to remember 6 months ago, similar bile being vented and blame being laid at beamdog/overhaul games' feet about the whole steam issue when it has nothing really to do with them, but with steam itself. So chill folks, stay polite and civil and make arguments intelligently rather than dragging your knuckles on the ground and beating your chests. Now it's time to check my bp before my new pacemaker explodes lol.
    alnairHassonAdul
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278

With the new rendering engine coming out soon, I was curious What kinds of video hardware does everyone have? Do you have problems with your hardware or not? I am running a 550 Fermi that works brilliantly with the game.

As far as I know Intel HD4000 has problems, but I was curious if other integrated solutions are problematic. To my knowledge discrete graphics have no problems whatsoever.

I have Intel GMA 3150, the game crashes at start until I change OpenGL to version 1.0 (I think).
    After that the game lags as hell with no spells (when I cast spells, well you can imagine it's even worse).

• ImryllImryll Member Posts: 24
    If we bought the game from Beamdog, can we expect an email notification when the patch is released? I'd rather not keep checking here--or keep booting the game to see if it updates. Thanks!
    RahlikStarflower2525
  • RahlikRahlik Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    Am i on the right forums here? This is baldursgate and not World of Warcraft right? I feel like I'm watching 12 year old danish Kids arguing over well.... I actually don't know what! :)

No I am not flaming anyone at all - It is just a simple observation on what appears to be quite silly arguments and rather silly reactions :)
    PaulgSeaker42
  • RahlikRahlik Member Posts: 86
    Imryll said:

If we bought the game from Beamdog, can we expect an email notification when the patch is released? I'd rather not keep checking here--or keep booting the game to see if it updates. Thanks!

That wouldn't be a bad idea :)

• Spellsword82Spellsword82 Member Posts: 15
    One thing that I feel has been poorly managed is the Android version. It's not even been released yet and you're working flat out on BG2:EE? What is that all about? Is it the second class citizen of operating systems or what? It's been that long I would take a buggy, incomplete release now than this current situation.
    The_New_Romance
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Dee, what you just said sounds like there is no work needed at all for BG2EE on engine development. It's a bit surprising: i thought a minimum of work would be needed to adapt some things on it.

Anyway it's a good news for BG2EE : it means it should be ready as soon the content development team has finished its work, right ?
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    @Dee
    When can I see the Chinese language pack?
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    This might be already asked but will the improved multiplayer mode included in the next patch? because i read that some kind of improved multiplayer mode will be in the bg2 ee...i still hope that it's released beofre that...to be honest the promise of a new multiplayer version was my reason to buy the ee back a year ago in the first place...my friends and me never got that silly thingy we have right now to work.

And may i also ask about the language packs? i mean common a year after the release? XD

Anyways...i'm looking forward to your answers!
  • HootHoot Member Posts: 40
    So...BG2:EE has been announced with a release date, but there still isn't a solid one for the patch? Any news on that front?
This discussion has been closed.