Skip to content

This is a great forum

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
I just want to thank everyone here for their amazing support. When I created an account on this forum in November I didn't even think about staying for so long and about writing so many messages. Yeah, I see 470 as a big figure.

I work as a lawyer and have not much time not only to play a game but to attend this site. But it's nice that even while doing so serious job I see sense and find pleasure to write on this forum.

Today the number of positive reactions to my messages became equal to the number of my posts. Maybe it's not the most important thing in my live but it still shows that the will I put in each post is not useless. I hope some of them were really helpful, some of them made you smile and some of them gave support to your own posts.
It's possible only because of an unbelievable and unmatched atmosphere on this forum. I try to contribute to it as much as I'm able to.

I'm ready to continue and looking forward to make new friends.

I can only say positive things about all of you guys.

Cheers!

P.S. Let's share the stories of staying on this forum. I'll appreciate your own history and experience
alnairKamigoroshi[Deleted User]Tresset[Deleted User]SethDaviselminstersarevok57HeindrichEntropyXIIDjimmyCoryNewbNight_WatchBattlehamsterLemernisSouthpawkaguanaWilburNonnahswriterCrevsDaakCaloNordRavenslightJenzafarwojtekDemonoid_LimewireButtercheeseWithinAmnesiaDungeonnoobSmilingSwordlolien

Comments

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @ZelgadisGW - Not a single point made I disagree with. This forum is fantastic. There are some issues here and there, and certain rifts do tend to appear every now and again. There is very little flaming and needless trolling however. I have found that I can have strong debate in one thread and then the same person(s) helps me out on another thread. We are all here because we love Baldur's Gate. It would make little sense for us not to be intelligent and civil.

@bengoshi - Beware of the Drow-lovers though! Too much Drow-loving going on around here. If you see any such heinous act taking place, please report it to the nearest Flaming Fist officer at once.
    JuliusBorisovElectricMonk
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited August 2013
    i find it weird how so many people hate Khalid, it has to be for role play reasons, because if you give him the gauntlets of ogre strength, and max out that proficiency in longsword, he can be quite the hard hitter, plus i think he has the 2nd most HP out of all the pcs? and kind of okay dexterity
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @sarevok57

I think many of them are jealous of him and want Jaheira for themselves :D

And yes I was never much of a forum guy. I used to participate in 'debates' on Youtube, but they degenerate into pointless flame wars 90% of the time, especially when it comes to serious political issues that I care about.

This forum is a nice change from typical online communities, where I've felt welcome from day one, had all my quests answered and been able to hold reasonable debates with people even when opinions strongly disagreed.

sarevok57JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the posts so far, friends. It's always interesting to hear from you. The more time we spend together, at least on this forum, the more we know each other and the more pleasant every discussion becomes.

And about drows... I think it comes from the certain person who used to have a Tear of Bhaal badge... The popularity of this person here led to the growth of Drow-lovers movement... We can call them Samus progeny...

The Lord of Drow-love shall perish. But in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passion.
    DjimmyFredjoDemonoid_Limewirelolien
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The worst part of all above decent forums is always the self-congratulating comments threads like these.

No offense to you, bengoshi. It's good that you think the community is nice and friendly and want to hang out here, and this isn't directed to you as much as it is to the other people in the thread. It's just that thoughts like these fosters a sentiment of navel-gazing, elitism and clique-think that down the way is the enemy of friendliness and intelligent discussion. Parts of me dies a little every time I see them.
    MonkLover
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHmlneveseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @scriver: Wow. Just wow. Someone creates a topic out of friendliness and all you can do is break it down with criticism? It's not like this forum is full of these kinds of topics, so maybe think before writing. There's no harm in expressing one's appreciation for a good internet forum. I for one am glad to see this forum contains nice, smart and decent people who can discuss things without resorting to trolling and spamming. There's little good forums out there. Think this place is too positive? Go elsewhere, please.
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Guys, guys! We kid each other in love! (channeling Bill Maher)

Things are getting a *little* tense here in Off-Topic today. Let's all lighten up and remember what good friends we are! Don't worry, be happy! :)
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovalnair
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I remember worrying about the quality of the forum dropping off after the release of bgee, but every time I come back to lurk or post, I'm glad that the community here is strong! Cheers!
    [Deleted User]BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisovFredjo
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    The nice people, the cozy forum design and of course the spirit of Baldur's Gate are all making this place(forum) a second home. :) Maybe I got carried away but you know what I mean. :)
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I have to add to this. I've frequented quite few forums during my time on the internet. Many I've left due to the atmosphere or the people. There was one I visited often, I made some friends and enjoyed my time there, but every time I enter into a discussion I'm insulted for not having the same beliefs as the other person.

The forum is like finding a bag of holding when overloaded with crap.
    terzaerianJuliusBorisovCoryNewb
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I'll be honest, I didn't expect to post at all really when I signed up way back at the announcement. I wasn't really capable of playing the series back in the day (much too young) and haven't tried it until some time after the release of Mass Effect 2. It was strange to hear, not so soon after (maybe a year after I tried it), that it was coming back. I don't really have all these strategies memorized and I certainly know I don't know what many of the spells do yet. But here I am, I support this game as all you veterans do here. I sit here and talk on the forums as I never have for Mass Effect. I know that I can't go to bioware social anymore when you look at what it's become with the ending to ME3. But here I am, talking to fans of the games that came out when I was just a child, and here I know that (most of the time) we can have a respectful conversation about something we all enjoy (except the trolls, but that is what fire arrows are for :))
    ElectricMonkJuliusBorisovCoryNewb
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I never knew about this forum until i heard about bg:ee when i was a lot younger i used to hang around planetbaldursgate but i could never really get into it. i'm not much for socializing on or off the internet (bit of a loner, but i can communicate when need be) recently i've started to come more out of my shell and it's been a lot of fun. i visit a lot but i'm not one to say much. i don't like getting serious (especially about the politics, prices, or what have you about a game) so instead i usually just try to post something i think would be fun or amusing. this is a great place to have fun and trade inside jokes with one another. it's nice to see a game bring people close who are all far away =)
    JuliusBorisovCoryNewb
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    scriver said:

The worst part of all above decent forums is always the self-congratulating comments threads like these.

How is someone expressing goodwill towards others a form of self-congratulation? I've been in groups IRL that have participated in the self-adulation you are describing and I agree with you how destructive they can be. Nothing frustrates me more than a group of people who talk themselves up for no reason other to talk themselves up, as they tend to degrade into groups which celebrate doing nothing. It only works for Seinfeld sadly.

But in my short time here, this forum has demonstrated itself to be one of the few mature places on the internet, something which I feel is demonstrated in the way people have taken a potential, though totally appreciable, volatile comment such as yours and treated it with grace and civility. More importantly I don't think anyone is mad or frustrated which even I find shocking. in 99% of online forums these days I can guarantee you that a post like that on a thread like this would have been flamed or trolled into oblivion, usually by some invisible forum stalker whom aggravates everyone who reads it.

Then again, everyone here knows that flames kill trolls so that might be why everyone is being so civil...
    F*!$% trolls, use fire.
    BelgarathMTHalnairJuliusBorisovCoryNewb
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Being new to this forum I was pleasantly surprised of the tone held in this forum. I decided to make an account because I had a question. And then I was hooked.

It is just great to discover I am not the only one being so fond of the BG series. Really I know only one person irl beside myself who used to play this.

Also it is nice to find a forum where it is your ability to communicate in a decent way and being able to express your self without being rude over really unfriendly disagreeing.

Also I really enjoy how you take all members serious. There is nothing asked to small or to big and the response time is amazingly fast.

I guess I have come to stay on this forum for a long time and just want to salute you members saying keep up the good work in here :)
    [Deleted User]alnairBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I agree. This forum is awesome. All you here these days is that the Internet is an evil, malicious place and don't go on Facebook or twitter because if you spend time on The Internet than you will be cyberbullied by a group of mean girls on Facebook.
    Or, you will end up doing that to someone.
    They actually teach this in schools, not at all kidding.

Not that it's all a lie. People do abuse the Internet and do terrible things, and cyberbullying really is bad, but it is somewhat exaggerated in schools.
    So, this forum is a welcome exception from the usual animosity of the Internet. Almost everyone here is absolutely wonderful, apparently only intelligent people stick with a game for 15 years. I had no idea so many people still played this game before I came here.
    ElectricMonkJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    JuliusBorisovSouthpaw
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Best. Forum. Ever. :)
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

This is what these forums are really like! ^-^

*squints his eyes and slowly chews the cigar between his mouth-tentacles*
    You...really.........think.........so?
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
    SouthpawelminsterCrevsDaak