Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited September 2013
    Madhax said:

What NPC requires pickpocketing above 100, let alone 255?

Bernard in the Copper Coronet is the most difficult merchant to steal from and it takes 180 (or even 225 from some evidence) to successfully steal from him on anything but a critical failture. Most of other merchants in BG2 require 160 at the most.

The problem is that the cap is 255 and if you try to increase it to 260, it effectively rolls back to 5. So, @Kaltzor 's question is a valid one;)

Each shop has something like a percentage chance of catching you. This percentage chance of catching you is subtracted from your pickpocket score to determine how successful you will be at stealing. If for example, the shopkeeper has a 75% chance of catching you, and your pickpocket score is 100%, then you actually only have a 25% chance of stealing successfully.

So, the more points in PP, the better but there's a problem of maxing at 255 score.

Usually I try to make the score about 150 (with potions) to steal successfully in BG:EE - so that only a critical failture means a retreat or a reload.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    The rolling over part still makes me think the problem is that it reads the value as a 2 digit number in hex... And going from FF to 100, it just reads it as 00.

Also, while BG1 merchants only take up to like 100, BG2 merchants need much higher pick pockets skill to steal from without a chance to fail so you will want it as high as possible, but going over 255 makes it think it starts over from 0... A somewhat easy fix would be to lower the cap from I think it's 400 normally... to 255, nothing requires over 255 skill anyways.

• Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Dee said:

The wrapping values have been fixed, as of this coming patch. You still won't benefit from anything higher than 255, though.

I think allowing something higher than 255 is because you can't level up a thief without distributing all their points, right? I never tried it with a thief but I once used shadowkeeper to give a fighter a proficiency in everything and I couldn't level him up beyond a certain level because I was given a proficiency slot that I couldn't distribute.
  • I think allowing something higher than 255 is because you can't level up a thief without distributing all their points, right? I never tried it with a thief but I once used shadowkeeper to give a fighter a proficiency in everything and I couldn't level him up beyond a certain level because I was given a proficiency slot that I couldn't distribute.

It won't really make a difference, since you don't need higher than 255 to steal from anybody in the game. Note that Dee said you won't benefit from anything higher than 255, not that you won't be able to increase it higher than 255. The fix to the wrapping means that doing so won't inadvertently hurt you. Still, you'd have to be pretty high level to run out of places to dump your thieving skill points and so be prevented from leveling up, even if they stopped doing anything useful long ago due to maxing out the highest effective value.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Dee, hide in shadows is impossible at the sight of enemies (except for shadowdancer of course) or the character just receive a penality to make the attempt? Like -100 or more in the sum if any enemy is at sight.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    kamuizin said:

@Dee, hide in shadows is impossible at the sight of enemies (except for shadowdancer of course) or the character just receive a penality to make the attempt? Like -100 or more in the sum if any enemy is at sight.

It's impossible if enemies can see you. Only the Shadowdancer has the ability to hide while being observed.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Iirc size was an issue in the app store for bgee. Will there be a problem with the size of 1.2? Was there a problem connected to size for iPad users as well? For example iPad 1 and 2.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Does someone know why the announcement threads aren't bound in the top of the forum anymore?
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I hope they noticed all the problems with shadowdancer. It wasn't just the backstab and shadowstep that was wrong: they handed out too many thief skills at each level up as well. I'm not sure anything else was wrong though.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    Simple yes or no question: Will the patch for BGEE actually be released before the release of BG2EE???
    MrSexton said:

Simple yes or no question: Will the patch for BGEE actually be released before the release of BG2EE???

The patch is currently in Phase II of its open beta. You can find out all the information you need in the "Road to v1.2" forum: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/the-road-to-v1-2
    Dee said:

MrSexton said:

The patch is currently in Phase II of its open beta. You can find out all the information you need in the "Road to v1.2" forum: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/the-road-to-v1-2
    Fine, but that still isn't an answer...
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited October 2013
    Hey that's what you get when you ask Beamdog a "simple yes or no question" :)
    Also @Dee, i wouldn't call this Phase II of open beta, since it won't be open to all until phase 4, if i read you right.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    You can look at the progress right there. Stop complaining. Damn.

Whether or not the patch is released before BG2EE depends on how that proceeds, and so far it seems like it's going pretty quickly.
    I'm not complaining. And I don't think it's to much to ask that Part 1 is released before Part 2... As for pretty quickly, well that's a matter of opinion. It should have been sometime in September. It's October now. Anyhow, keep up the good work, we're all rooting for you to finish the patch!
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @MrSexton I'd wager a tentative yes. But just for you ;)
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2013
    Erg said:

Simple answer:

More like \frac{1}{2^{n/2}} \, \left( \sigma_x + \sigma_z \right)^{\bigotimes n} \left. | 000 \cdots 000 \right\rangle .

Post edited by pekirt on
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

I hope they noticed all the problems with shadowdancer. It wasn't just the backstab and shadowstep that was wrong: they handed out too many thief skills at each level up as well. I'm not sure anything else was wrong though.

I am currently playing as a shadowdancer with the beta version of the patch (I am part of the phase 2 hardware testing) and it is now working exactly as described. The backstab multiplier is fixed, the proper number of thief skills are given on level up, you can't accidently put skills into things you can't use etc...

They also fixed the hide in shadows timer so it does a cool down after a backstab. This prevents you from doing infinite backstab loops.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Are there any plans to adapt Improved Bard Song to the various bard kits? For example, replacing it with WWA for Blades, given a slightly better version to Skalds, or (most importantly) giving Jesters an alternate version that fits their playstyle better?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited October 2013
    So, this question in no way is intended to undermine the authority of the Moderators, nor to propose something that is against their wishes or designs. And may have already been posted.

Recently the thread "Portraits vs. P(o )( o)rtraits got taken down. It was in violation of Terms of service. I totally get that. This is supposed to be a PG13 site. Absolutely respect the Moderators not wanting questionable material on the site.

My question is, if over 18 consumers were interested in the portraits that were being presented, what suggestion would the Moderators have as to how/where these pics could be posted? There was a lot of good material in there and I am sure that some consumers would still be interested in it.

As potentially a follow-up question, was it a certain post or pic that caused the entire thread to be unacceptable? I know that most of the portraits listed there were (a) art instead of actual pictures but (b) somewhat racy and questionable. Are there maybe guidelines that consumers could post 'Certain' of the pics?

Once again, I totally respect the Moderators 100% right to reject any or all content without notice or warning and for whatever reason they feel appropriate. Absolutely. Just asking how we can all abide by that and still get good artwork out to the community.
    This isn't really the right place for a question about forum policy, but here's an answer for you:

As long as you give credit to the original artist, you may post whatever art you like. If it contains nudity, it will be removed. If it does not give credit to the artist, it will be removed.

If the entirety of a thread seems to be aimed at objectifying or demeaning an entire group of people (such as, for example, women), it will be removed. Posts aimed at objectifying or demeaning an entire group of people will be seen as disrespectful behavior (See Rule #4) and dealt with accordingly.

If you want to post artwork and don't want it to be removed, those are the criteria I would pay attention to. There was a lot of great stuff in that thread, but the thread as a whole was a mistake.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    bdeonovic said:

So, this question in no way is intended to undermine the authority of the Moderators, nor to propose something that is against their wishes or designs. And may have already been posted.

Recently the thread "Portraits vs. P(o )( o)rtraits got taken down. It was in violation of Terms of service. I totally get that. This is supposed to be a PG13 site. Absolutely respect the Moderators not wanting questionable material on the site.

My question is, if over 18 consumers were interested in the portraits that were being presented, what suggestion would the Moderators have as to how/where these pics could be posted? There was a lot of good material in there and I am sure that some consumers would still be interested in it.

As potentially a follow-up question, was it a certain post or pic that caused the entire thread to be unacceptable? I know that most of the portraits listed there were (a) art instead of actual pictures but (b) somewhat racy and questionable. Are there maybe guidelines that consumers could post 'Certain' of the pics?

Once again, I totally respect the Moderators 100% right to reject any or all content without notice or warning and for whatever reason they feel appropriate. Absolutely. Just asking how we can all abide by that and still get good artwork out to the community.

PROTIP: if you want to find old material on the internet that has been "taken down" (in various ways) try searching for it in google, click the little arrow next to the google search result URL and click on "Cached"

And my 2 cents: Google-Image-search the title of the forum thread in "" and add site:baldursgate.com, you get pictures from the whole thread without having to list through the cached forums.
    This is getting just a bit more than slightly off topic, people. I'd like to keep this thread to questions about Baldur's Gate, if possible.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Dee said:

This is getting just a bit more than slightly off topic, people. I'd like to keep this thread to questions about Baldur's Gate, if possible.

I felt like this hint could help people looking for the pictures, but I understand it belongs to a different thread.

To on-topic this thread again:

Can you give us a number of items added to BGEE2 or is it under NDA? And if under NDA, is it hundreds or thousands? :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Are you guys planning on doing some kind of media blitz before the release of BG2EE?
  • greckoboygreckoboy Member Posts: 33
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before (or maybe it's been asked but not answered), but how are you guys going to deal with romance conflicts between the old and new characters in BG2? More generally, will there be any voiced conversations between old and new characters (although obviously I mentioned romance rivalry first since there should surely be some interaction there).

Are you guys planning to pay lots of money to rehire the old voice actors to voice some lines, or are you going to (gasp) not have any voiced interaction or avoid the difficulty of romance conflicts by, for example, not starting the Jaheira/Aerie/Viconia romances at all if Neera's is active? Or something else?
This discussion has been closed.