Skip to content

What weapon type would you prefer BG2EE had a new badass magical weapon.

Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
Only have 10 options so i had to put a few together! I hope i arranged them in an apropriate way.
  1. What weapon type would you prefer BG2EE had a new badass magical weapon.213 votes
    1. Axes
        7.04%
    2. Halberd, Spear , Two Handed Sword
      11.74%
    3. Flail , Mace , Warhammer, Morning star
        5.16%
    4. Staff, Club
        9.39%
    5. Bastard Sword
      10.80%
    6. Long Sword
        4.69%
    7. Katana , Scimitar, Wakizashi , Ninjato
      15.96%
    8. Short sword - Dagger
      13.15%
    9. Sling, Dart, throwing axe, throwing hammer , throwing dagger
        4.23%
    10. Bows and crossbows
      17.84%

Comments

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I think flails are cool, because of the chain rattling sound effect that goes off when you swing. I never had a high level character with several attack per round, dual wield flails. But I bet it would sound awesome.

I would create the Skull Crusher. A +3 magical flail that has a X5 crit multiplier, on 25% of it's hits. No save.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    A bow I suppose. There's already pretty awesome weapons in most other categories, but there is a dearth of powerful endgame bows. Even at the very end of ToB the best bows in the game are Tuigan Bow (early SoA) and Shortbow of Gesen (mid SoA)...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Wouldn't mind any in that category, but when I saw the topic, my first thought was "whip".
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    A Morningstar.
  • DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113
    Either club or spear, hard call.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    A good end game club would be nice
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    A Wakizashi, magical blades of this nature always has some kind of cool design.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Katana. In Tob, Katana is the only melee weapon class that doesnt feature a +5 or +6 weapon. I understand that they are rare, but the compensation should be over-awesomeness!
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Daggers for everyone!
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    bbear said:

Katana. In Tob, Katana is the only melee weapon class that doesnt feature a +5 or +6 weapon. I understand that they are rare, but the compensation should be over-awesomeness!

I read somewhere new katana confirmed in bg2EE

Daggers for everyone!

Im with you badbromance, a dagger with a ridiculously good on hit effect (dispel magic+vampiric on hit for example) ... wanna see people with daggers in their main hand!

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Still waiting for Blackguard only clubs. Or Excalibolg, an holy avenger club +7. Throwing clubs would be kind of neat too. On the other hand, melee-related battlestaves exclusively for non-spellcasters would be kind of nice to have as well.

Still waiting for Blackguard only clubs. Or Excalibolg, an holy avenger club +7. Throwing clubs would be kind of neat too. On the other hand, melee-related battlestaves exclusively for non-spellcasters would be kind of nice to have as well.

Staff of ram+6 is probably the biggest damage dealer endgame. (just gww one after another)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited November 2013
    Right now it's very unfortunate to have proficiencies spent into long bows if compared to, say, short bows or slings. Near the end of SoA and in ToB long bows are not good at all.

There's been several discussions about the shortage of good long bows for the later stages of the game (on several sites and at different time):

1, 2, 3, 4

I believe we'll have a solid long bow in BG2:EE.

And it would be great to have a bow or a xbow that shoots it's own arrows (bolts) and they count at least like +4 (so that a character with this weapon will be able to hit some enemies who require a high level weapon).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I just love to dual-wield daggers.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    If the rumors are true about the new Katana, then I would be satisfied with that. It would also be nice to have a REAL attack quarterstaff, though I know it won't be used properly by a Monk.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Spears! I am also a sucker for two-handed swords, but spears need love as a weapon type... perhaps moreso in BG1 than in BG2, I don't know that for sure.

Spears! I am also a sucker for two-handed swords, but spears need love as a weapon type... perhaps moreso in BG1 than in BG2, I don't know that for sure.

Spears? You get Unicorn very early, impaler is huge with +10 to damage and ixils effect can pin even lategame bosses, and it is one of the few +6 weapons. What more are you looking for?

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like swords. I look forward to the Long Sword +12 Hackmaster.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

Spears? You get Unicorn very early, impaler is huge with +10 to damage and ixils effect can pin even lategame bosses, and it is one of the few +6 weapons. What more are you looking for?

Very well, restrict my spear comment to BG1 then. However, all two-handed melee weapons need to be quite aggressive to compete with dual-wielding in BG2 it would seem, so my choice still stands.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I want to see mage staves! I don't care if the damage sucks, Narbucchad's Demise is the coolest thing ever.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    the game only has 1 badass axe.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There are too few good shortswords. The shortsword of Mask is a bit meh even when upgraded. Most other shortswords of +3 or more have no other effects - no elemental damage, no on-hit effect, no status immunity, zilch. Granted Kundane is pretty useful, but low enchantment level.

Katanas do probably need a bit of love. Celestial Fury is badass but gets outclassed in TOB and the only other option is the very boring Hindo's Doom.

It would be good to have an intermediate enchantment (+3) Scimitar usable by Druids before the Underdark too. As it is the only +3 or above Scimitars are deep in Watchers Keep or Ust'Natha.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited November 2013
    Halberd or Spear, not 2H Sword. Although I would specifically say spear, given the chance. For being such a good weapon, the spear is desperately overlooked in any medieval-style RPG I can think of. Yes, there are a few good spears, but considering there are about 30 magical longswords of varying potential, it seems unfair that once you get your hands on a magical spear, you're acknowledging that it's the only one you'll have for the next couple of chapters until you find the next one. Same can be said of most bows, though, I guess.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I just want a decent katana. Hindo's Doom isn't particularly impressive.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    deltago said:

A good end game club would be nice

Club of Detonation is already one of the most damaging weapons in the game ;) It's part the blunt trifecta with FoA and Crom Faeyr. It is an amazing weapon, even though it sometimes kills the odd civilian...

In retrospect, I suppose a good Katana is actually not a bad idea, and I'm glad they are (reputedly) putting one in. Celestial Fury is amazing for SoA, but as mentioned before its low enchantment level and fairly low damage lead to it being outclassed fairly quickly.

Daggers are sort of fundamentally flawed, given that there is no reason to use them with their low base damage over swords with higher damage. In BG1 there's the poison dagger which makes up for low base damage by having an amazing proc, but even the best best BEST dagger in SoA/ToB is completely blown out of the water by other weapons.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Short swords and/or daggers.
    Because so far, there is little incentive for them to use anything smaller than scimitars (due to the dmg potential). Also, some crazy powergamers tend to use 2m long staves to backstab (instead of small and conceivable daggers)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Southpaw said:

Short swords and/or daggers.
    Because so far, there is little incentive for them to use anything smaller than scimitars (due to the dmg potential). Also, some crazy powergamers tend to use 2m long staves to backstab (instead of small and conceivable daggers)

To spinebreaking efficiency, might I add.
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    Is it possible to get some +5 brass knuckles for a monk? Something to modify barehanded attacks? That'd be my vote...though dagger and short sword follow that list.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I wouldn't mind a new long bow, though a second nice flail would be appreciated.