Skip to content

State of Ascension

Release date is getting ever closer and i cant help but wonder how fares my favorite mod. Cant imagine playing without it. And im sure many others feel the same.

Has any brave soul taken it as his/hers project to bring Ascension to bg2:ee.
CuvGirewanEudaemoniumSceptenarCrevsDaakbooinyoureyesSage

Comments

• JnnJnn Member Posts: 34
    That is awesome news indeed! Its ending up becoming interesting end of the year.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    You really can't have ToB without Ascension. The five are just too easy without it, especially Illasera, it makes zero sense for her to be part of such a powerful group in her fighter/mage version (besides the fact that the upgraded Illasera would be way to hard for a new character to defeat alone).
    CuvEudaemoniumGirewanCrevsDaak
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    @Cuv

Are there any other popular mods that are compatible with BG2:EE at the moment? Some of your personal favorites, maybe?
    Cuv
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @ghostowl Not too many yet, but some of the other people have their own gems they are updating and playing with. @CamDawg just released that Icewindification mod... I believe it works for both (sorry, don't have the link handy). @DavidW has been working on SCS, not sure about the status. Other than that, not sure.
    Eudaemoniumghostowl
  • ComplyOrDieComplyOrDie Member Posts: 41
    Just to clarify, will it be a new version that's well signposted so we can get it straight away and get playing? :)

If scs and ascension are ready at release simply amazing!
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    Thanks! Ascension, SCS, Rogue Rebalancing, and Tweakpack are the only ones that I feel are popular ones that most people use.
    Cuv
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I'm hoping for ItemRevisions and SpellRevisions to be out quickly, too. Given that their dev is pretty active, I'm having high hopes.
  • HatuHatu Member Posts: 10
    Cuv said:

Ascension will be useable for BGIIEE. :)

Yay! I never liked Ascension, but this way people who do can still get it. Everyone wins!

-H
    BaldursCatNecomancerfrede957
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    Icewindification mod? I've been looking for the 'Icewind dale in baldur's gate' mod for awhile now, mainly as something else to do. I would love for a stable version of it to be compatible with BGEE, or BG2EE (depending on level of course, I know icewind dale starts you off at level 1, so it may need some scaling to be useable in BG2EE, or even mid-game BGEE.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    what about unfinished business? i didn't use it yet and would be interested in using it if it is available or even implemented
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    LiamEsler said:

There'll be a bunch of mods compatible at release. Stay tuned, there'll be threads about it in the Modding forum at the very least. :)

Could be worth pre-emptively splitting the modding forum into 2 for bg:ee and bg2:ee respectively
    Syntia13
  • chaosapiantchaosapiant Member Posts: 32
    Ascension is a mod I never played. What am I missing?
  • acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    I am really happy that Ascension will be playable for BG2EE, does anyone know if installing it will be any different? It's been awhile since I have needed to install mods for BG games.l
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299

Ascension is a mod I never played. What am I missing?

Especially great and funny battles.
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    I've just ran through BG1 and BG2 so many times, its just second nature checking off all the various items, and side quests. adding something full fledged, like icewind dale, would make things interesting. I keep hearing amazing things about Ascension, but i've also heard that the boost in difficulty really forces you to use cheesy-er tactics to accomplish things (like abusing wish to get fully rested in the middle of battles, etc)

How accurate is that, and what other 'game play' mods are there that won't completely crash my game files?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    rathe101 said:

I've just ran through BG1 and BG2 so many times, its just second nature checking off all the various items, and side quests. adding something full fledged, like icewind dale, would make things interesting. I keep hearing amazing things about Ascension, but i've also heard that the boost in difficulty really forces you to use cheesy-er tactics to accomplish things (like abusing wish to get fully rested in the middle of battles, etc)

How accurate is that, and what other 'game play' mods are there that won't completely crash my game files?

Depends on the fight in question. Improved Illasera, Yaga-Shura, and Sendai aren't too bad, but Improved Abazigal is a damn nightmare.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    The real fun begins during the final battle just before Melissan herself, when you get to face all five of them at the same time (Abazigal, Yaga-Shura, Illasera, Sendai and Balthazar (possibly Gromnir in place of Balthazar if you convince him to join your side)).
  • chaosapiantchaosapiant Member Posts: 32
    I didn't know "wish->rest" was considered a cheesy tactic. I used that just to get through the vanilla Melissan fight. Maybe Ascension isn't for me. :(
    booinyoureyes
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    rathe101 said:

Yes the battle is more difficult than ordinary BG battles but it is manageable without cheesy tactic. Even
    suboptimal party can do it.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I uninstalled of the "improved battle" aspects of Ascension after being very frustrated by improved Yaga-Shura. It isn't like SCS where most of the greater difficulty comes from improved AI. Instead, it's just the enemies having ridiculous resistances and having more bodies thrown at you.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Given how easy the unmodded game is, any increase in difficulty is a welcome sight. Ascension isn't THAT hard without other mods to further augment it (like SCS); it's certainly a step up from vanilla, but you should never be afraid of challenges. You should welcome them!
    Messi
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    There's a huge difference between "challenge" and "banging your head against the wall in frustration"
    Flashburnbooinyoureyesterzaerian
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

There's a huge difference between "challenge" and "banging your head against the wall in frustration"

Yes, good thing Ascension is so well balanced. :) The fights range from very easy like the Gromnir fight, to fights were you actually have to think about what you are doing like the final fight and Abigizal.

Anyway let's not turn this into silly argument about what is the right difficulty. There are plenty of choices available in the game itself, and mods like this just increase that. Just choose whatever you find the most fun.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    rathe101 said:

Definitely not true. Unless you consider pre-buffing to be cheesy. I didn't personally even know about the wish thing and have beaten all the Ascension fights.

Gentblue
  • JnnJnn Member Posts: 34
    I fully respect all BG purists who shy away from this mod. I really do, and i dont judge you for it. To each his own. But for me any game to be enjoyable it needs to present a challenge.

I want to run to that wall. Bang my head on it, and eventually find the solution to overcome it. That sensation fills me with rapture. Thats my reason for playing pc games. Thats my drug.

I remember when i 1st beat ascension over 10 years ago. I probably cant forget. Never before, and rarely after, has any game bestowed me with such challenge.

Its been over 5 years since my last BG playthru. It was supposed to be my last venture to world of Baldurs Gate before i wish it farewell.

Back then i couldnt even imagine something as Enchanced Edition. Now it seems i'l be returning to Faerun once more. Bring me the challenge and hardship. I've yearning for it.

''Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know''
    frede957
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    So will Ascension be compatible at launch already?
This discussion has been closed.