Skip to content

Why I am unhappy with Hexxat *spoiler*

22longZ22longZ Member Posts: 19
!Do not read any further if you don't know about the truth of Hexxat!

Like many of you I have been eagerly waiting for the release of Baldurs Gate 2 EE. One of the many reasons why I was excited was the new NPC Hexxat. Since the release of the first couple of screenshots I was hoping the new character would be as great as the Dorn, Rasaad and Neera. When I actually found Hexxat in the Copper Coronet I was pleasantly surprised that by the first second Hexxat was intriguing and that the soundset amazing. Questions like "What happend to her and may I be able to help her?" were running through my mind. And like many of you I ventured directly to the graveyard district to solve the mystery of my new dazed companion.

The truth of Hexxat was surprising and I applauded the developers for that kind of revelation. But after quite some time the twist left a bitter taste. Don't get me wrong on this now. I don't want to say that the "real" Hexxat is bad or what so ever. Like every NPC in Baldurs Gate 2 there are some aspects I like (unique origin, being exotic with an intriguing accent) and some aspects I don't like (the least baldurized portrait, micromanagement with the cloak and no kit). My point is I liked the "fake" Hexxat simply more and I wasn't able to chose.

Some may say there is no reason to be unhappy. The twist offered you a equal or "better" NPC. The stats of the "real" Hexxat are equal (or better, but since I don't like to fumble with the cloak all the time it doesn't mean anything to me) with some unique abilities. But since Baldurs Gate 2 is not solely a game about the gameplay but much more about the roleplay I felt spoiled. The "fake" Hexxat may be worse than the "real" Hexxat but since I decided to help a helpless and confused women in a dirty inn and I was adventuring with her through the world of Baldurs Gate 2 and I was forced to watch her die without any option to interfere; I would have liked to keep her and not exchange her for a totally new character. Isn't it the case that a huge part of the plot of Baldurs Gate 2 evolves around rescuing one of your companions (keep in mind: when Imoen is actually abducted you don't know about the fact that she is your sister. At this point she is simply a companion in many ways like the "fake" Hexxat)? But for the freedom of Imoen I oppose Irenicus while the death of an other companion is totally meaningless?

But since the developer of Baldurs Gate EE have shown in the past that they are willing to improve the game beyond mere patching an fixing by implementing a whole new character I raise the hope that in the future I will be able to save her. I do not want a mod made by fans to "fix" this. I would very much appreciate a "fix" by the developers. And from a totally uninformed perspective it seems to me that this would be way easier than creating a totally new character like you guys did with Baeloth.

What do you guys think? Do you feel the same or are you totally indifferent to the fate of the "fake" Hexxat?

(as English is not my native language I sincerely apologized for any mistakes or misspelling)
Post edited by 22longZ on
AkihikokamuizinSir_MurderhoborecklessheartYupImMadBroQuartzUlvarylVaylorValendaleDarkExcalibur42Raistlin82

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Hexxat is meant for evil parties, and you are given plenty of opportunities to avenge the fake Hexxat when you first run into the real one. Evil parties will also tend to more likely be hunting for Irenicus then trying to save Imoen, as Imoen and the charname in an evil setting, would probably not be on the greatest of terms.
  • 22longZ22longZ Member Posts: 19
    While you are right that Hexxat fits better in an evil party I do not quite understand what you mean by "meant for evil parties". My perception always was that every NPC has its own character which may be good, neutral or evil. But that does not mean a evil NPC is only meant for evil parties. Mixed parties seem to be way more fun, wouldn't you agree?

You are right that you are able to avenge the death of the "fake" Hexxat. But if you avenge her death you are left with literally nothing. I don't think that this is good idea either. You are also right that an evil charname seeks revenge and not to rescue Imoen. But the game always leaves you the option to role-play you like it. The "fake" Hexxat always dies. No option, no decision whatsoever. If I want to play a good charname I should be able to save her.
    Astafas
    edited November 2013
    Thing is, @22longZ the "fake Hexxat" charges to her doom and is "Single minded". You would probably not be able to stop her with a truck considering that the ward will only at first let a single minded being through. As I see it, the fake Hexxat is already dead, and is but a vessel for a crushed mind.
    I also meant by "meant for evil parties" as could you possibly see a Paladin of Tyr in any way, shape, or form, walking up to Hexxat and joining sides with her?
    edited November 2013
    @aVENGER @22longZ I would say that someone should post a poll in about 4 days to see what people want. I personally am very satisfied with the way Hexxat is. Unless of course this would mean you guys adding a full fledged new NPC with banters, voice acting(beyond the confused girl whose voice acting was extremely annoying) and a quest or two.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Fakexxat's voice set was annoying...by design.

Her portrait was nice but.....

I wanted my evil thief so I didn't have to use Jan for the 4564575756 time in an evil party. I got her. Also, she's a badass vampire.

Someone can mod Fakexxat into a character in her own right, I'm sure.
    GemHound
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    @aVenger Hexxat is my new favourite npc, so In my eyes you guys did nothing wrong. She has intriguing personality, interesting banters and great quest.
    When I've first saw real Hexxat, I thought we are going to have a pair of NPC, Clara and her mistress Hexxat, but then Clara died really quickly and it was disappointing, but other than that everything is great.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    aVENGER said:

22longZ said:

My point is I liked the "fake" Hexxat simply more and I wasn't able to chose.

So basically, you would like an option to save the confused girl and have her join up instead of Hexxat and become a full fledged party member.

Just out of curiosity, how do other players feel about this?

To be honest, i would like that option too :) But wouldn't players be disappointed if they would have to skip Hexxat's personal quests? Would people prefer the cutie girl over Hexxat without all the quests?
    @Avenger_teambg
    I think he means giving the player a choice, Hexxat or Clara? Instead of Hexxat, I myself might choose Clara once to check it out, but would probably play Hexxat the rest of the time unless Clara turned out to be interesting.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I know what he means. But Hexxat's quests cannot work with Clara, and i doubt they could be 'fixed'.
  • 22longZ22longZ Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2013
    :-) well I thought I made my point clear that a future "fix" would mean making the "fake" Hexxat in a "full fledged party member" with banters, a new (non-dazed) soundset and so forth. And because I feel having no option to save her is a waste, making her in a "full fledged party member" would be a nice idea. It would fill a gap (which I fell should be filled) and wouldn't mean to build a new NPC from the start.

Edit: to be clear: if the developers would add that option as goodie I would appreciated it. But if the developer are looking for an idea for a dlc this is the spot the first dlc should start (the ingame-store will be for dlc's I guess?!)
    booinyoureyesLoReN_LK
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I... just don't get it. Clara's a blank slate, and intentionally so - there's literally nothing more to her character. Where's this fascination coming from?
    FlashburnBuddyXArcalian
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    Don't have to see every quest on every playtrough. Mutually exclusive quests should be fine.

Gives more reason for replays.
    edited November 2013

I know what he means. But Hexxat's quests cannot work with Clara, and i doubt they could be 'fixed'.

@Avenger_teambg I think everyone is aware of that.

What people would want would be MORE content. ;) As in, Clara would have her own quests, banters, etc. I'm fine either way though myself. You guys could go and make it, and add it as a DLC if you want to.
    Quartz
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    My biggest issue with her is that she's just ... A Thief... Not an Assassin, Swashbuckler or anything.. Just a Thief :(

Had I been able to merge her with some fighting lvls, or maybe a Mage? I would probably keep her around, but atm, I think I'll grab someone else :(
    @Spungi
    Hexxat is my favourite character right now, when delving into ability drains and such. ;)
  • EmmiEmmi Member Posts: 77
    aVENGER said:

22longZ said:

My point is I liked the "fake" Hexxat simply more and I wasn't able to chose.

So basically, you would like an option to save the confused girl and have her join up instead of Hexxat and become a full fledged party member.

Just out of curiosity, how do other players feel about this?

I would LOVE to have the option to choose between Clara and Hexxat, especially since I too felt like it would be a bit odd to just stand by and watch some weird vampire I've never met before kill the girl I agreed to help, especially after she asks Hexxat not to have to die. I agree that Clara was single minded and a dazed while trying to reach Hexxat, but if you'd save her and kill the vampire instead of letting Clara die, she would pretty much have to find some other purpose and evolve as a character. Maybe she could still feel some kind of need to follow Hexxat's path so we still go to find "L." or try to hunt him down or whatever.

Also, I didn't find Clara's voice annoying, the dazed and absent tone had something to it. I was really looking forward to exploring her character before I had to watch her die.

So, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for a "Hexxat or Clara" mod that allows the player to have the choice and gives Clara more depth and some quests, maybe even a romance like with Hexxat. That would be beyond awesome.
    LoReN_LK
    @GemHound
    It's not a rant about her being weak, I've just never liked pure theif classes. (I don't like the whole sneaking around ... stuff!) I just use them for pick pocketing, trap finding etc. And the occasional backstab, should I be able to :P

I just wish I had the choice!

Anywhoo... Don't think I've ever had her drain ability work? Except for on one of those silly rats she can summon, where I didn't really notice the effect... :)
    edited November 2013
    Spungi said:

@GemHound
    It's not a rant about her being weak, I've just never liked pure theif classes. (I don't like the whole sneaking around ... stuff!) I just use them for pick pocketing, trap finding etc. And the occasional backstab, should I be able to :P

I just wish I had the choice!

Anywhoo... Don't think I've ever had her drain ability work? Except for on one of those silly rats she can summon, where I didn't really notice the effect... :)

@Spungi She doesn't have one except for drain blood which drain constitution. Also, the the silly rat summons upgrades into different creatures as the game continues. Delving into ability drains for me, means charging her into a pile of creatures that have ability drain and watching said creatures not being able to drain her abilites. Either a bug or intentional, hopefully intentional.

Mhm... Not bad, if I get it right:) ... But could I just make her a fighter aswell! So I could bump up those profiencies :P
    edited November 2013
    Spungi said:

Mhm... Not bad, if I get it right:) ... But could I just make her a fighter aswell! So I could bump up those profiencies :P

Or leave her as a thief, get the extra pip within a few levels, put it into two weapon style, and have your own little dual-wielding hidden thief with many quests.

Will drag her along anyways, atleast until I bump into Rasaad, at which point I'll try him out and see what sort of fun he can cause! ... :P Already in love with Dorn and Neera, even though they might not, technically be the best to mix together :P
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I would love to be able so save Clara! Also, without the influence of Hexxat, perhaps her stats could go up a notch?

That said, I'm having a good time with Hexxat. But more NPCs make for more replayability.
    byrne20
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well my 2 cents about this issue:

1° - Hexxat is Evil - The plot is perfect, for an evil party member, and hexxat was developed to fit an evil party member. You can use her in mixed parties? Yes, but roleplay must adapt to the game elements, not otherwise, we can't expect that BG2:EE bend to the will of a single player that want roleplay from a specific point of view.

2° - Hexxat or Clara - while the devs made an huge announcement about the new "EVIL" thief, the presentation of the fake hexxat wasnt't by far... evil. The first contact with the fake hexxat is h neutral enough to allow neutral parties or even good parties to take her, specially good parties trying to help the poor brainwashed girl.

While the banter options are too much restricted (or you want to get an tesaure or you don't want to help her), which hint to the player which kind of character should persecute this quest, the circumstances of your meet with the fake hexxat by no way display the need of evil, at least until we meet the true hexxat.

If you devs want to elaborate an side option to keep Clara, i give total support and this will make her totally unique as an NPC (but not Clara and Hexxat, or one or the other), but if the devs want to let it clear that Hexxat is Evil, maybe the first encounter in the copper coronet with her should be more... directly. I suggest that instead of only promise tesaures, make the fake hexxat let cleat that we're going to free an undead to be rewarded by it, this would keep away at least the good parties (neutral ones could still go for hexxat).

3° - If Clara become an proper NPC - She could become more unique, the brainwas should be healed in time or trough quests, her alignment should change (after all she is just a mind controled human until we meet hexxat that simply mirror the true hexxat characteristics), probally to chaotic neutral after the experience.

She could be turned into a shadowdancer (that couldn't use those skills before in reason of being too simple minded after the domination of hexxat)... or no, or even another kit. It's up to the devs, she could become even an undead hunter if the devs seem this to fit the roleplay (after killing hexxat, she develop an range for undeads, and some plot/quest direct Clara to the Radiant Heart where... well ppl get what i meant i think).

If this option is taken, a lot of options could be put in the game as leaving any party that ally with bodhi (too much hatred for vampires), old people from her life appearing during the game... banters with minsc (racial enemy is vampire), Keldorn (paladin) and Anomen (being able to blast undeads) she could even start NPC to NPC romance with anomen if the main char doesn't. Well as i said the options are many.

Obs:

Just to state some differences, i just started to play with Hexxat, however i still have the feeling of Valen being better in her role of vampire. Hexxat doesn't have level drain? Why? No bloodlust that make her kill other npcs and fuck my reputation? That was always nice with valen. Even Valen's penalities in sunday were always bigger than Hexxat.

To end my rambles @aVENGER, i support the idea of a 2 sides NPC with Clara/Hexxat as long it become one or another, it will be different and very unique. I really liked the idea of develop a real personality to Clara by keeping her alive BUT if it's just to make an option of keep Clara in the meet with Hexxat and keep an silent NPC until the end of the game, NO, let her die in the crypt and be done with.
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyeslasombra
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited November 2013
    By the way, any reason for the dual class button be avaliable to Hexxat, when even having the needed stats she can't dual to fighter?

Another thing, shoudn't blood drain give constitution to Hexxat? it Drains 3-6 constitution from others but doesn't heal or buff Hexxat, what's the point?
    lasombra
    edited November 2013
    kamuizin said:

By the way, any reason for the dual class button be avaliable to Hexxat, when even having the needed stats she can't dual to fighter?

@kamuizin @aVENGER @Avenger_teambg

I was curious about that too is it a glitch? (bringing attention to kamuizin's comment)

This discussion has been closed.