Skip to content

The Roleplaying Challenge (Tomb of Horrors)

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Sorry, everyone. Even DMs must sleep sometime. :)

Okay, Alora sets off the trap from Afar. There is a grinding grumble, and the party standing 30' into the cave is aware that something portentous is happening. After a moment, you realize the passage is getting... tight? No, a huge stone block is sliding to cut off the entrance to the cave, right across from where you are standing!

As you scramble to safety, the huge block slams shut with a grinding finality that would have boded ill for anyone caught between the block and the wall. But now the way is blocked... possibly forever. Oh well, but there are still two other openings, right?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm scared. I want to go home! Why didn't someone stop me from doing something stupid. I'm sorry everyone.
    I'll go and take a look at the next entrance, the one in the middle. Does anyone want to come with me? If not I'll go on my own and check for traps.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    "I shall stand with you. Let evil show it's face, or whatever it uses as a face, and I shall tear it asunder!"
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    I will....come with you Alora if you want. Just please be careful, we don't want anyone to be hurt. I can....can help you look for traps if you would like.... *Aerie casts one of her detect traps spells before getting near the next opening, and holds on to Alora's arm, ready to stop her if she senses anything* Let's just make sure.....sure that we all stay alive. We don't want anyone getting hurt. *She smiles as best she can but her doubt and worry shows clearly on her face.*

Edit: *Aerie does seem slightly more confident knowing that Minsc and Boo are there to keep her safe.*
    It's not so scary now you guys are with me.

Okay, since Aerie is detecting traps I'll listen to see if I can hear anything.
    Okay...

You and Minsc travel the 80' to the next opening, and this one stands out to you right away. For one thing, the walls have been plastered, and then painted with bright colors. How bright? Well, after weeks of seeing nothing but green swamps and trees and scummy water, the bright pigments on white are like a slap in the face. Even in the overcast morning daylight shining in from the entrance, you can see jewel tones and what looks like actual silver and gold was used to limn the walls of the tunnel. The floor is also a mosaic, using brightly colored tiles of stone that almost seem to have hidden patterns within it. Even the ceiling is painted with demonic-looking faces.

Here is the entrance of the tunnel: http://critical-hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ToHGraphic3.jpg
    And Aerie, with her magically enhanced vision, sees a floor trap on the right side of the tunnel within 30' of the door. A 10' by 10' Pit trap.
    edited August 2012
    *Begins to feel as if she's suffocating here, but still holds on to Alora's arm and moves forward slowly, trying to find any hints of danger that may appear. She pushes back her doubts as best as she can and waits to see what the others are thinking is a good idea.* Please, let's be careful here. The pictures are quite......quite evil. It looks like the work of a...madman or..... *She trails off, not sure what kind of warped mind would have drew images like these.*

Edit: She suddenly tightens her grip, and tries to pull Alora to a stop. "There.....there is a trap there. Please, let us be careful" She points to the area and describes the images on the trap and near the trap as best she can, as well as the size it appears to her in her mind.*

OOC: Minsc is behind the people detecting the traps, right?
    Minsc pauses by the entrance. He leans his ear toward Boo, a puzzled look on his features, before giving his attention back to the others.

"Boo stresses the use of caution, the stench of evil is in the air. The time for butt kicking is nigh."
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    This entrance seems a little more promising.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Seems reasonable, but I don't agree to bump any player that started here and wants to come back. I'll just add updates of Garrick's mighty adventures and enjoy the read :D
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    "What a monstrous place... Fear not friends! I shall take the lead and smite any unholy soul that this tunnel throws at us. Just let me know where can I land my feet safely without losing it."
    I've got a bad feeling about this. Do you think it could be some kind of illusion?
    Edwin follows the others, a thoughtful frown on his face as he looks at the floor. Then, he begins to chuckle a little to himself. He follows a little behind the others, his fingers making motions like he is going to cast a spell, but he doesn't recite mystic words or even pull out any components. He does look... highly pleased with himself, however.
    @ladyrhian does it look like we could safely go around the trap or is it blocking us from an entrance?
    Someone needs a tickle! I'm going to tickle Edwin until he tells us what he's thinking!
    You can definitely go around it. Like the other entrance, this one is 20' wide all the way down (as far as you can see). However, you are limited to about 30' of magical vision at a time in front of you, so all you can see is that pit right now. As you move further into the tunnel, more pits become visible. A second right behind the first, where a door has been painted onto the wall. All you can see are a pair of clawed hands gripping the bars of the small window that has been painted onto the wall.

And something else funny... on the wall side of the first pit, two jackal-headed men are holding a small coffer between then. But the coffer isn't just painted onto the wall... it actually projects out into the corridor.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToH_Gallery/ToHGraphic4m.jpg
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Maybe there is something inside that coffer that we require to proceed further. Alora, inspect the coffer for traps.
    Edwin stiffens "What? Why do you trouble me so when I am thinking? (You shall be the first to die, half-woman. Yes, I shall ensure it be so.) Keep your hands off me! (If she touches me, I shall blast her to bits. Just see if I don't.)"
    edited August 2012
    *looks around at the others, suddenly very worried by what she must ask* Should.....should i lead us though this? I can make sure we don't trigger any traps.....and...if you follow where i step.....i could lead us safely through..... *She starts to sweat at the thought of this, knowing that if anyone is hurt, it would be totally her fault*

Edit: lead them to the coffer for now.
    Minsc smiles at Aerie, and pats her shoulder.

"Boo and I have faith in you."
    Please and thank you are the magic words Kivan.

But I will look at the coffer and see if I can see a trap.
    LadyRhian said:

Edwin stiffens "What? Why do you trouble me so when I am thinking? (You shall be the first to die, half-woman. Yes, I shall ensure it be so.) Keep your hands off me! (If she touches me, I shall blast her to bits. Just see if I don't.)"

Don't be silly Edwin. Everyone likes a tickle!

@Permidion_Stark Well, it's a little high up to actually look into, but you can see a catch on the front of the box. To get up to open it, though, you are going to need a boost...
    "Be careful Alora. Maybe we could use Edwin for trap detection, especially for mysterious coffers with an aura of death trap detection."
    Edwin squawks in outrage over Alora's comment. Then turns his gaze on Ajantis. "Perhaps you should help her, do-gooder. (Yes, suggest the redundant one help her. That's sure to appeal to his do-gooding instincts.)"
    If Minsc or Ajantis would pick me up I could see if I can see a trap. But I don't want to open the box. There might be something nasty in it.
    " Well, actually that´s not a bad idea. Good job Edwin!

Let me help you with that boost, brave lady."
    Ajantis lifts Alora easily, and she looks on the box. It's a simple front catch, and it doesn't look as though there are any traps on the box. (None detected).