Skip to content

Phase I: Performance Test

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited January 2014 in The Road to Android
We're happy to announce that as of today, Android Beta Testing Has Officially Begun!

We will start with a small number of Android users to install and play through our hardware test. The test goes through the entire Prologue for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. At the end of the prologue, the game will display a message and close by itself.

Objectives for Testers

Move the screen around, zoom in and out, and take note of the frame rate, as well as any obvious graphical glitches. We're not looking for gameplay bugs; this build was created specifically for testing performance. You'll be limited to the Abdel pregenerated character. Talk to Gorion to complete the prologue and end the test.

Anything outside of the above parameters will display the following message and close the game: "You've wandered outside the bounds of the test. Please restart the test."
Our testing program allows us to track crashes and other problems; there is no need to post issues here. Please submit all other feedback through TestFlight.

When we have enough successful tests with no critical issues, we'll move on to the next phase.
Successful Tests: 47/100
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited January 2014

Interested in volunteering? Read here.

(Recruitment currently closed)

If you're interested in participating in Android testing, follow the link below to sign up through TestFlight:

Note that not everyone will be invited to test; due to the volume of likely applications we probably won't be able to respond to everyone.
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    Great news!!! Would have liked to have been able to try it out myself but at least I can spectate. :)
  • StangmarStangmar Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    Just finished the tutorial on my Note 10.1 2014 SM-P600. Game launched fine, frame rate was quite good, and finished the tutorial without incident. I noticed a small slowdown by the fountains in the middle of candle keep however the scene with Gorion getting killed was nice and smooth. Zooming in and out was just fine, and stylus input worked great.

Will be back later with more specific details. Sidenote if there is a way to give feedback from within the testflight app I don't see it.

-S
  • RavuletRavulet Member Posts: 14
    Downloading :D It's an honor to participate in this project, thanks guys ^^
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    all seems good on samsung tab 2
    It will certainly help, but you know how people are (by people I mean us) once it's finally out we'll complain about how the animations aren't the same on BG:EE and BGII:EE, Harper's Call isn't working right, or I can't use my new portrait from BG:EE to BGII:EE without extracting this and overriding that, lol. But in all seriousness, really looking forward to finally having my hands on it!
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited January 2014
    Looks good so far. Nexus 7, 2013. Frame rates are good, dragging is okay but jumps occasionally, pinch-zoom is working well, and character movement appears to be fine.

Edit: Just completed the prologue, no issues. Unlike previous builds where it said the hardware test was finished, this one just said "You've wandered outside the bounds of the test. Please restart the test."
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Dee
    The game is working awesomely on my tf300, but where exactly in testflight do we report? Cant seem to find it?
    Otherwise: awesome work!
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I can't see how to give feedback via Testflight, could you elaborate on that please?

Installing the APK from the Testflight app is very hit and miss for me. Only one version has worked so far, all the others fail installation with the helpful error "Application not installed". However, I have a logcat dump from v2032 if that will help, just need to know where to post/send it.
    TestFlight's a little finnicky; you may need to uninstall the existing build before you can install the new one.
    Played on a Nexus 7 1st gen: pinch-zoom and cam exploration works perfect, rockstable framerate indoor and outdoor and no graphical bug in whole test.

I don't know how to feedback with the TestFlight app, there isn't any option to do it :S
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2014
    Downloaded and testing on Nook HD+. Frame rate and zoom seem quite smooth right now. I tried to zoom out fully one time and it did not allow me to move my character and seemed to shut down all ability to select any kind of interface option. This happened once and seemed to fine when I tried to zoom out again. It happened in front of the inn.

Do we leave feedback here or in Testflight. Can't seem to find where to do that via Testflight.
    @solod This beta phase is just to test graphical aspects. Some interacts and actions, like buy items or combat is not able and close the game. And the only character with you can play it now is Abdel. All this is explained in the first post ;)
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    @Ravulet Got it! You must have seen my pre edited post. I deleted all that when I read the actual instructions. Thanks for the heads up!
    @Dee Thanks. I had already tried uninstalling the previous build. I've also tried disabling the App verification process, because the log seems to indicate that it's failing to verify some AAC files:

D/AwesomePlayer(287): Use tunnel player only for AUDIO_STREAM_MUSIC
    E/AwesomePlayer(287): LPAPlayer::Clip duration setting of less than 30sec not supported, defaulting to 60sec
    E/AwesomePlayer(287): LPAPlayer::Clip duration setting of less than 30sec not supported, defaulting to 60sec
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x40078e80 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x42c73b50 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x43400088 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x46a7ae28 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x437c0d40 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x427d02f0 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x42268cc0 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x414c1c40 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x43400088 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x44cadf38 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x4af78e70 successful
    I/OMXNodeInstance(287): OMX_FreeBuffer for buffer header 0x414d21f0 successful
    I/dalvikvm(17901): Turning on JNI app bug workarounds for target SDK version 11...
    D/Eas Debug(17915): Logging:
    D/Eas Debug(17915): Logging:
    I/System.out(17901): null 32768
    I/System.out(17901): null 32768
    I/dalvikvm(17970): Turning on JNI app bug workarounds for target SDK version 11...
    I/dalvikvm(17985): Turning on JNI app bug workarounds for target SDK version 11...
    D/dalvikvm(297): GC_EXPLICIT freed 40K, 78% free 2461K/11120K, paused 2ms+2ms, total 20ms
    D/dalvikvm(297): GC_EXPLICIT freed <1K, 78% free 2461K/11120K, paused 2ms+1ms, total 16ms
    D/dalvikvm(297): GC_EXPLICIT freed <1K, 78% free 2461K/11120K, paused 1ms+2ms, total 15ms
    I/OdekakeDcfFile(299): Invalid content
    E/MM_OSAL (287): ValidateAACFile failed
    I/OdekakeDcfFile(299): Invalid content
    D/QCUtilClass(287): extended extractor not needed, return default

I'm not super familiar with Android dev yet, so I'm unsure from the log if it's AAC files in the app package that cause this message or if it's something to do with the install dialog in Android.

The logcat line with the error code is "D/InstallAppProgress(16613): Installation error code: -22"

I can post the full log if you can let me know where/how.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I gave my report by replying to the test flight mail I got, it wasnt particularily clear, but that seems to be what we were supposed to do. The email read "give your feedback above the line" or somesuch, I guess that is what we should do until further notice? @Faydark @solod
    edited January 2014
    Thanks @Aristillius, I'll try that.

The email says it's from noreply etc.. so I thought that line about replying with feedback above the line was just another oddity of Testflight. It turns out if you hit reply in your email client, it is actually an email address made up of a code value that their email system must process for the developer. Confusing, but at least now we know ;)
    Yep, that's the best way to do it; both of your feedbacks are in our system now.
    Ravulet said:

@solod This beta phase is just to test graphical aspects. Some interacts and actions, like buy items or combat is not able and close the game. And the only character with you can play it now is Abdel. All this is explained in the first post ;)

That's great I have a 1st gen Nexus and glad to hear it is good

• RookrockRookrock Member Posts: 18
    Nexus 7 2013: Started and ran through the beta a few times. Conversation worked well, smooth graphics, zoom in/out was flawless. No stutters or jumps. You mentioned watching the frame rate. I can't give a number because there was no mechanism in the build for viewing rates. That said, it was smooth and very playable.
  • SamuraiJackJrSamuraiJackJr Member Posts: 9
    Worked through the beta on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 - very smooth and playable. I switched apps during the test which caused some wonkiness (I included this in the reply to the email), but I suspect the right thing is "don't do that". Overall, looks very promising!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It's the best way to start the year!

It runs perfectly on my Asus Nexus 7 (Android 4.4.2).

What a wonderful feeling you get when you hear the famous narrator's voice from your tablet. It is so touching.

Right before today, I have never seen Gorion's death on tablet's screen. It was well worth the wait!

Thank you, Devs!
  • RookrockRookrock Member Posts: 18
    Me back again with an update. I know it likely isn't optimized and won't be released for phones but I installed it on the Nexus 5 for fun.

Yes everything is small, and I expected that. Aside from that it ran smoothly, zoom in/out worked great. Weather effects present as well as fog of war. Worked as well as Nexus 7 2013.
  • atomicsnowmanatomicsnowman Member Posts: 31
    My Nexus 10 was a bit choppy. Sound worked great. It would run a bit smoother zoomed in and a bit more rough some all the way out. Used my Nexus 5 (did not complete test) as a baseline.
  • jpmahalajpmahala Member Posts: 1
    I ran through the beta on both a nexus 7 2013 and nexus 4. Gameplay, graphics and animation were fine, however on both devices, I found that the game freezes with a blank screen if the device goes to sleep. Interestingly enough, if I disable the lock screen (so that I do not need to slide to unlock) the game continues to play after turning it back on.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    It ran just fine on my asus tf101!
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    I don't have a adroid device.what a pity.
    edited January 2014
    @jpmahala, I haven't had that issue, also using Nexus 7 - 2013.

@Dee, as far as graphics go: I did somehow manage to remove the fog of war visibility, the darkened area rather than the unexplored area (since Candlekeep is already explored). By that, I mean there was no darkened area around the character, it was as light as the visible area, but otherwise operated as normal. The actual visible range by which NPCs would appear was also fine, it was just the darkened graphics/overlay. I have not yet been able to replicate it, but if/when I do I will e-mail feedback.
  • maaramaara Member Posts: 10
    Its really a honor for me to be part of the beta test :)
    I have only one query - when I am in menu, all the options there are saying that I reached the border of the beta test and I can't get to the game to try it playing... Could anyone suggest me the navigation path in the menu which allows to get to the game?

Thx!
    @maara,

Launch the game and then select the following:
    • Baldur's Gate.
    • Single Player.
    • New Game.
    • Press 'Play' on the character named Abdel.
    It should then start the prologue readout.
This discussion has been closed.