Skip to content

The 75 roll No-Reload/No Resurrection Challenge

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I thought so... Maybe a random drop. If not I wouldn't necessarily rush to the mines, but maybe that's may metagamey point of view.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I've been having the worst girl problems lately, absolutely sleepless torment. I just keep saying to myself I wish I could erase my memory with that laser from men in black and get lost in Faerun.

I can't wait to try this challenge again sometime with a clear mind ready to soak in the nostalgia ...

@Sirk8 Nice run man. Glad to see you are enjoying it

I've been having the worst girl problems lately, absolutely sleepless torment. I just keep saying to myself I wish I could erase my memory with that laser from men in black and get lost in Faerun.

I can't wait to try this challenge again sometime with a clear mind ready to soak in the nostalgia ...

@Sirk8 Nice run man. Glad to see you are enjoying it

Am sorry to hear that. For what's it worth from a perfect stranger, I hope things will get better for you soon.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @EnterHaerDalis‌ - sorry to hear about the girl problems. Hope things get better for you
    Ok everyone, I need some advice here. I'm really struggling with this fallen ranger bit. As far as I can tell there is no way from me to recover from this and the more I think about it, the more it's breaking immersion for me. My PC did not act out of character nor commit an inherently evil act. When a Flaming Fist guard inquired what the party was doing she simply said that she doesn't have to answer his questions. This is quite fitting with CG in my opinion and not necessarily hostile. At that point the guard accused them of being bandits and attacked immediately. Of course they defended themselves, as the attack was quite unprovoked. This however caused my PC to "fall". At first it didn't bug me much, ok she would ponder on her actions and atone, and regain rangerhood, but alas, this is not possible at all.

Also, what is breaking the immersion for me at this point is that I lose the ability to hide/move silently... does this really make sense? A ranger "falls" and then suddenly can't hide or move silently. Suddenly all of their class abilities are stripped and it is irreversible... my class is not granted powers by a a God right?

Also what is frustrating to me is that now I am faced with either 1) rerolling, 2) pressing on with a character that has no class, basically I'll just get HP every level and a standard THAC0 bonus a far as I can tell, 3) Coming up with my on RP way of redeeming the PC and then using EEKeeper to remove the fallen status.

What are your opinions? I'm liking this play through and I'm not keen on giving it up. Nor does the prospect of going through the game classless sound like fun. After all this game is about fun. So I'm leaning toward EEKeeper, but I fear this would disqualify me from this challenge. What are your thoughts on this?
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    I would agree with the use of EEKeeper in this instance, as long as the only thing you changed was the fallen status.
    The game offers no way to get rid of the fallen status, so you will have to fix it yourself. That being said, I thing you should have to get to at least 12 reputation (very easy by the way or grant it back after doing one of the major quests, for example killing Daevorn and saving all the miners in the Cloakwood Mines).
    CG alignment could possibly do things that would make them seem criminals to the established law, but would agree with their morals.
    edited March 2014
    @Fighting_Ferret‌ - Thank you for your wise words. Since the fall happened prior to the Nashkel mines and since then my PC has raised their rep to 12, cleared the Nashkel mines, rescued a wizard's apprentice turned talking chicken and stormed a bandit camp, I'll consider her redeemed. She's learned her lesson now, even if she finds the law annoying at times, it is best to interact with them courteously. For no matter what the true events were, it is their word against yours and the perception of the people that matter. While Gwyn is not overly concerned about what others think of her, she does realize she is now into this "iron shortage" deeper than she had anticipated and she will likely need the cooperation of others, including the law... best to keep up appearances from here on out.
    The adventure continues....

This time around things got off to a great start. The group rescued a talking chicken that turned out to be an apprentice of the sulky wizard in High Hedge (not that rescuing his apprentice netted them any reward from the high and mighty Thalantyr).

With Kivan pressuring the group to track down the bandits the group confronted Tranzig and managed to get him to spill the beans on the operation, or at least what he knew of it. Gwyn was going to let him go, but Kivan was worried that he would warn the others if they did so. While the rangers discussed the moral and ethical implications of killing him, Monty ran his new magical shortsword through Tranzig's ribs and into his heart, settling the matter for them. (Actually what really happened here, is I was going to let him go, but he stayed red even after the dialogue and he was dead before I could call of the group). Sorry no screenshot of this encounter :( I forgot.

With the information from Tranzig they party set off to confront the bandits. While tracking the bandits in Peldvale, they came across one of the leaders. Gwyn was going to try and infiltrate the camp by posing as recruits, but Kivan was already yelling things about vengeance and Deheriana. He let an arrow fly at the leader and the fight was on. The party came out victorious, but their chance for subtlety was gone. Gwyn will need to have a few words with Kivan about not becoming blinded by revenge. However, for now they had a job to do. They eventually found the camp, stormed it and assassinated the leaders, as well as uncovered more information regarding the iron crisis and who was really behind it.

While heading back to Beregost to turn in some scalps for bounty money they came across a group of Red Wizards. It looked like they were involved in some sort of ritual, but the party had no chance to inquire, as the wizards were not happy to have been interrupted and attacked. A well placed web and a hail of arrows and stones put the wizards down fairly quickly. Kagain charged in gulping down a potion of freedom (he'd been wanting to do this for a very long time and now was his chance). However the dwarf was promptly sent running scared by a horror spell.

Here is Kagain posing with the bodies like he actually did something:

Still heading back to Beregost the group was ambushed by a pack of spiders and a triggered a web trap. Karma caught up to Dynaheir and she was stuck good in the web. She fell quickly to a sword spider and the group didn't even have a chance to try and save her (oh the irony!). After a very bloody battle the group managed to avenge her and kill all of the spiders.

They then made the pilgrimage to Nashkel to bury her alongside the others.

And now they are 5. I may pick up Baeloth for my caster, but that is really tipping the balance of this party toward evil. Gwyn is not too choosy about her companions but the others I think are becoming a bad influence on her. The other choice is Xan... hmmmm yes, I may go for him instead.

====================================

The Party

Gwyn - Level 5 Archer
    Kagain - Level 4 Fighter
    Viconia - Level 4 Cleric
    Montaron - Level 3/4 Fighter/Thief
    Kivan - Level 4 Ranger

The Fallen

Neera - Level 1 Wild Mage
    Khalid - Level 2 Fighter
    Edwin - Level 2 Conjurer
    Minsc - Level 3 Ranger
    Branwen - Level 2 Cleric
    Imoen - Level 4 Thief
    Garrick - Level 4 Bard
    Jaheira - Level 2/2 Druid/Fighter
    Rasaad - Level 4 Monk
    Dorn - Level 3 Blackguard
    Dynaheir - Level 4 Invoker

====================================

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Only the EE party members will be found again if a party member storms off due to low reputation. So Skie and her equipment are gone for good. Just be glad she didn't take Eldoth with her. >.>

As for the fallen status, it gets cured in BGII when you do the ranger stronghold. Personally, I'd say if you fall due to your rep dropping that low, you've failed your duties as a ranger and should have to live with the consequences until you can cure it in BGII.
    @Sirk8, am sorry she fell... Awesome run, lots of excitement. I'd like to read about your next charname's exploits. And I'd also like to try this sometime myself... hmm so many options with this game, so little time. :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It was a good death.
    I had him to injured before Gwyn went down. I'm fairly certain if Kagain could have stayed up I could have finished him off. Next time around more fire protection, I only had my archers protected for fire since they were the ones that were lobbing exploding arrows at the bad guys. I had forgotten that Angelo has a few of his own.

@Blackraven - I highly recommend this challenge, it is a brand new way to experience the game. I started it many times but usually died pretty early, this is the furthest I've gotten.
    @Sirk8 I'll give it a try soon, see how long I'll last :)
    edited April 2014
    So this challenge has changed my thinking on 2 things. 1) it seems absurd now to power roll a character (though I'll admit to doing so for my current SCS playthrough, but on my Black Pits game I went with an all 75 team) and 2) when an NPC dies now, I'm tempted sometimes to just not resurrect them and push on so I experience different combos of NPCs in my party (did that for some in my SCS game but not Imoen, couldn't resist ressing her).

Also, I may do this challenge again after my SCS game using the BG1NPC mod. I'm really enjoying the mod so far and would make the losing of party members even more intense in an RP way, as well as gaining a lot of benefit from having each of the different NPCs in your party.
    Ladies and gentlemen - the Baldur's Gate nostalgia has re-kindled and it is time I re-visit this challenge in the near future. I implore anyone to document their attempts if they choose to attempt such a task!
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Good idea @EnterHaerDalis!

I think a mix of the 2 methods would be ideal. You can write your role-playing part, add some pictures for flavor, especially the different or funny instances that occur sometimes.
    I would suggest to make a video only for the more significant fights like Mulahey, Bassilus, Bandit Camp, Davaeorn etc. I wouldn't miss a recording of a good fight for the world!!

Making a likable video is a hard thing, viewers can get bored very fast especially if you record the whole run. If you prefer the latter you will have to be a great and also a funny speaker maybe, in order to keep your audience attached!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2015
    The only way to survive that encounter with a level 1 Charname is to gulp a haste potion with Charname and leave the area to the right no matter what's happening and who's dead without ANY fighting. There's a temple near the FAI, you'll resurrect your companions. There're other companions in the game besides those you can find on the Lion's Crossing.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    @bengoshi Well, with this challenge you can't resurrect companions, but I do agree on running if you can.

@EnterHaerDalis Thank you for sharing this video. I'd love to see more videos of this challenge. I think it would definitely help to have a mic though, just watching someone play w/out commentary can get boring fast.

That was a glorious death for Dana may she rest in peace!

The only way to survive that encounter with a level 1 Charname is to gulp a haste potion with Charname and leave the area to the right no matter what's happening and who's dead without ANY fighting. There's a temple near the FAI, you'll resurrect your companions. There're other companions in the game besides those you can find on the Lion's Crossing.

It was a brutal encounter :P
    SirK8 said:

@bengoshi Well, with this challenge you can't resurrect companions, but I do agree on running if you can.

@EnterHaerDalis Thank you for sharing this video. I'd love to see more videos of this challenge. I think it would definitely help to have a mic though, just watching someone play w/out commentary can get boring fast.

That was a glorious death for Dana may she rest in peace!

I am contemplating setting up a stream on twitch for some of these runs. Currently doing a BG2 run but am right back into the baldurs gate nostalgia. 2 ish years is enough :)

:D
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Why did I not see this thread before? Right, I need to think about a CHARNAME for this. With my luck, I'll die early and not need to worry about restartitis.