Skip to content

#ConfessionsofaBhaalspawn

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Confession: My favorite voices from Vanilla BG are Male2, Male3, and Female3.

Confession: My favorite voices from Vanilla BG2 are Male2, and Female2.

Confession: I've only used Valygar for a whole playthrough once, and that was to see what the 'Mini-romance' was about in the Xan mod.

Mod Confessions!

Confession: I have never completed a playthrough with Saerileth, or Chloe.

Confession: I have completed a playthrough with Tsujatha, and Yasraena, just to see what its like. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still bad.

Confession: I'm not really into Kelsey.

Confession: Most of the time when I get Kivan into my party, I'm usually romancing him.

Confession: I have only let Deheriana be restored a couple of times, and most of the time I was playing a Male PC.
    BlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited March 2014
    [REDACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF SIX]
    Post edited by Flashburn on
    booinyoureyesJenzafarBlackravenlolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!! WHY ARE THE BG1 VOICE SETS NOT IN BG2!!!!???????

Why is BG1 like a writing desk?
    @CrevsDaak‌, I don't understand.
    booinyoureyes
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Confession: I prefer the BG1 voicesets over most of the BG2 ones. And the Icewind Dale voice sets trump both of them.

Confession: Female5 is my favorite BG1 voice for girls because I have a nasty tendency to play airhead females. :P

Much agree. I also like Female2 for BG II. But yes, IWD is trumpiest-all of trump-all.
    booinyoureyesNonnahswriterAristillius
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Confession: I like Rasaad as well. He gives a better *first impression* for a female romance than Anomen imho. But then again I'm not female.

Off-topic: is romancing CN Anomen very different from romancing LG Anomen?

Confession: I also like Cernd...
    JuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Sjerrie said:

Off-topic: is romancing CN Anomen very different from romancing LG Anomen?

Good qustion, it would be nice if there were a difference.
    Lemernis said:

Confession: I don't care for SoA/ToB very much as an overall experience, although there are many aspects of the game that I do like a lot. I find that I don't care as much about the story, I think... Maybe this developed for me from playing BGT and getting a little weary of the endless grind of battle upon battle by that point. But I just don't feel as motivated. And sadly that has been the case even when I start a fresh game in BG2.

I sympathize, though my main isse with SoA/ToB is that it turns battle into "chess games":

Enemy in under protection of a Spell Shield
    You need to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal
    Enemy still has plenty of of spell protections
    You need to cast Breach
    Enemy has a Contingency activating more magical protections
    You need another Breach
    Enemy casts Protection from Magical Weapons
    You need yet another Breach (or maybe a Pierce Magic)

I haven't even mentioned Spell Immunities, which can make debuffing the enemy even more difficult.
    I like arcane magic, but this aspect of it made me want to play an anti-magic team: Haer'Dalis with lots of Dispel Magics, Keldorn with Carsomyr and his innate abilities, Jaheira with Insect Plagues, and an unnerfed Wizard Slayer.
    NecomancerJuliusBorisovTuthbooinyoureyes

I like arcane magic, but this aspect of it made me want to play an anti-magic team: Haer'Dalis with lots of Dispel Magics, Keldorn with Carsomyr and his innate abilities, Jaheira with Insect Plagues, and an unnerfed Wizard Slayer.

Looks like a pretty good team, I may have to try that one time!
    Blackraven
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Confession: I have never had dorn in my party
    JuliusBorisovBrer_Rabbit
    @Sjerrie It was a pretty good team in BG1. I did a no-reload run a few weeks ago I posted about on these forums. My run ended against Davaeorn's two (modded and very OP) Battle Horrors.
    The hardest part is your lack of access to stuff like the Greenstone Amulet or potions of Clarity.
    Sjerrie
    edited March 2014
    @meagloth I only had him in my last BG1 playthrough to see what he was about and to get xp for his quests. Wanted to do the same in BG2, but when we met up I probably said the wrong thing and he attacked me...

I was actually planning to romance him with my current avenger, but now I'm thinking CN Anomen might be a better match... IF that romance is different from LG Anomen that is...

@Blackraven Confession: I sometimes give Charname the Inquisitor's/Keldorn's dispel magic and/or true sight as an extra Bhaal-ability.
    Blackravenbooinyoureyes
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Confession:I played the Imoen romance mod and actually found it very enjoyable, the incest aspect only came once and wasn't the focus, so unlike, say, Saerileth it didn't constantly come up in a creepy way.

Confession:I never played the Saerileth mod but read a playthrough with it. As soon as he killed her off from a broken heart I stopped reading it, without her it lost the "watching a train wreck" appeal.

Confession:I am enjoying the Isra mod on my current CHARNAME whom is a bard that worships Sune. It seems a fitting pairing.

Confession:Both Isra and Saerileth has a scene where they offer you water when your water skin is empty before you even know its empty. This made my eyebrow twitch slightly when Isra did it as I was aware the other mod did. I get the idea that shes suppose to be anticipating your needs before you know them yourself, but its still a bit creepy.

Confession:One of my most roleplayed and beloved characters was inspired by a very low content NPC mod about a insane assassin obsessed with little lambs. Though he already had form, she inspired a bit of his past.

Confession:I cheated in the end battle of ToB because I was just so tired of the game at that point.
    CrevsDaakBlackravenJuliusBorisov
    @Sjerrie: speaking of 'cheating', wouldn't t a berserker Wizard Slayer be a beautiful thing?
    NecomancerSjerriejackjack

Confession:One of my most roleplayed and beloved characters was inspired by a very low content NPC mod about a insane assassin obsessed with little lambs. Though he already had form, she inspired a bit of his past.

Ahh, Silver Star was her name iirc! :) I had her installed once, but was playing good-guy that moment and after that I got drawn to other pursuits.

@Blackraven Interesting (especially RP-wise!) but wouldn't it be a bit redundant? :p
    BlackravenNecomancer
    @Sjerrie I wouldn't consider a berserk ability redundant until late in the game (when the WS has high MR), I think it would rather make the WS more viable (or maybe even OP) against mages. I mean, how convincing is a WS if they can be confused/charmed/panicked etc by every mage they encounter...
    Sjerrie
    Ok, so no CN Anomen for my CN-leaning-to-evil Avenger. Dorn it is then.
    booinyoureyes
    Jenzafar said:

Unfortunately, you can't romance CN Anomen. If he goes CN, it's *your* fault, not Anomen's. It's one of my main issues with the romance ...

I see now. That's why Anomen had no interest in my stunning, charismatic and pragmatic CN elven Fighter/Thief... I turned him CN :( What a bummer, but she simply wouldn't have matched with rigid LG Anomen.
    Jenzafar said:

Confession: in my head canon, even if I make Anomen do the right thing and not get revenge, I secretly pay Aran Linvale to "take care of" Saerk. Hey, the Shadow Thieves know everything that goes on in town, right?

Just a thought: Is it not possible to go over to Saerk's and exact revenge after Anomen reached knighthood?
    @SapphireIce101 Confession: I give almost every npc a kit appropriate to the character and my needs at that time. Including:

- Imoen as swashbuckler/mage or illusionist. Or necromancer or assassin after Spellhold (death is pretty...)
    - Jaheira as Totemic or berserker (going to try barbarian next)
    - Montaron as assassin or berserker
    - Tiax as assassin (next up: shadowdancer)
    - Aerie as conjurer/cleric (quite powerful combo)
    - Jan Jansen as bounty hunter or wild mage
    - Yeslick/Kagain as dwarven defender, Faldorn as avenger, Xan as abjurer, Kivan as archer, Mazzy as undead hunter, etc....

Just a thought: Is it not possible to go over to Saerk's and exact revenge after Anomen reached knighthood?

I think Saerk and his henchman disappear from the mansion.
    Jenzafar said:

Confession: in my head canon, even if I make Anomen do the right thing and not get revenge, I secretly pay Aran Linvale to "take care of" Saerk. Hey, the Shadow Thieves know everything that goes on in town, right?

This. :D
    SapphireIce101BlackravenCrevsDaakForgottenMyth

Confession: When I have Minsc in my party, I make sure that he is the Berserker kit, because it fits Minsc better than being a plain ranger.

Confession: Sometimes I change Khalid into a Fighter/Mage, or Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Confession: Sometimes, I change Imoen into a multiclass Mage/Thief.

Confession: Sometimes I change Jaheira into a Fighter/Totemic Druid.

Confession: I have changed Viconia into a Cleric/Thief a couple of times.

Confession: When playing the Xan mod, I change him into a Fighter/Enchanter.

Confession: I've only done a 'No-reload run' once, and It was while I was doing a minimal reload run.

Confession: I think that the Dragon Disciple kit is way better than a regular Sorcerer, unless its Baeloth the Entertainer.

Confession: I intend on using all the 'worst' kits in several playthoughs of the BG Saga. I've already completed a Wizard Slayer. Next one is probably Beast Master.

I do all these things as well, except Imoen, who I tend to edit into a Bard (Blade), or sometimes Swashbuckler->Mage.

Congrats on the Wizard Slayer, and on playing 'underdog' classes. I'm more interested in these kinds of characters rather than the Kensage and Sorcerers so many people run. (Though I love Sorcerer-style casting.)
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Confession: I just finished my first playthrough of BG:EE (my second BG1 playthrough of all time) and honestly, apart from a few high moments such as Durlag's Tower and a couple of sidequests, I found the game wholly inferior to its sequel. There's hardly any intra-party banter and only a handful of genuinely challenging tactical encounters. In fact, most of the games difficulty comes from lulling you into bored confidence and then suprising you with a few strong, yet dumb-as-bricks monsters such as Battle Horrors. The story is pretty flat and underwhelming and the ending is totally anticlimactic.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good game with many redeeming qualities. It just does not have the replayability and emotional/tactical pull of its sequel, which I have started and finished several times.
    booinyoureyes
    @Ballad, I agree with you on the lack of banter (though that is easily remedied with the BG1 NPCs mod).

It's funny that you prefer BG2's tactical challenge. In BG1 you face potentially deadly archers (bandits), rogues (Slythe, Silke), fighters (Greywolf, Sarevok), priests (Bassilus, Mulahey), wizards (Davaeorn, Mutamin, Red Wizards) and hybrids (Nimbul). This gives quite a lot of variety IMO. In BG2 on the other hand enemy arcane casters are prety much the only class that really constitute a danger to a decent party. Warriors, rogues, and (to a lesser extent) priests are not only less common as enemies but also generally easy to deal with. So in BG2 all you need to do to survive the most difficult battles is (learn to) cast the right debuffing spells on superprotected enemy mages, depending on the types of protections they're using. I find that this can turn battles into chess games that can become quite reptetive after a while.
    SjerriejackjackcasualtTuth
    edited March 2014
    @Ballad, I agree with @Blackraven. Due to legal reasons fan-made mods could not be included in BGEE. I myself am playing BGEE with BG1NPC right now for the first time, and I don't think I'd ever want to play without it anymore.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project

Check it out. It's not officially supported yet, but I got it running with the help of those who hang out there, with no significant problem sofar.
    jackjack
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Just to note, you can romance CN Anomen. I'm not sure why people are saying you can't. Just don't let him kill his father (that dialog branch is a bit hard to get through- save before doing it), and he'll be fine to romance. The romance is a bit different, in some lines: he talks about how he's happy to get rid of the Order to you, for instance, and he's a bit more forward then he is as LG.

If you play with the flirt pack from PPG, there are basically two completely different packs for LG versus CN.

Um, confessions?

Confession: I hate the Jaheria romance so much, because I feel it's unfair to Khalid, who is one of the nicer characters in BG1 and that it ruins her character.

Confession: I actually hate all four of the original romances in slight ways, because they're more about playing therapist to someone then actually having a romantic relationship. Haven't played the EE ones to see if they're the same.

Confession: So I play a lot of mod romances, and generally find them better then Bioware's. Meh.

Confession: Half the time when I'm playing these days, I just cheat myself through the game with CTRL+J's and CTRL+R's. The other half of the time I'm playing SCS and playing for keeps. It really depends on if I just want to see the story or if I want to actually play a game.

Confession: I can't play BG1 unless I have the NPC Project installed. The characters are too quiet and thus they bore me.

Confession: All my CHARNAME casters are inevitably CN so I can get the kitty for a familiar.

Confession: I've played solo, but hated it. It was too easy, and I missed the interaction.

Confession: Sometimes, if I'm really bored, I sit around and try to come up with ideas on how to mod Cernd so he'd actually be interesting. So far, nothing usable has come to mind.
    SjerrieBlackravenSCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisov