Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    edited April 2014
    In this case it's probably a bug - NPC Project and cap remover are the only modifications I currently use. Last time I did that quest there were no problems with it and the only thing I installed since then is BG1 NPC.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2014
    @Winters - I think I've got it... I assume this issue happened *after* the Sahuagin save you sent, correct? I see in that save game that you were already in Chapter 5. The Aldeth-Seniyad encounter only fires if the current chapter is < 5. You must have bypassed Aldeth on your way to the Cloakwood Mines.

The dialog is functioning as it should - nothing from BG1NPC is affecting it. If you don't talk to Aldeth before starting Chapter 5, the Aldeth-Seniyad encounter just won't happen.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    A question in between - is anyone collecting the bugreports or even (shocking) fixing them in any way, currently? (All this knowledge going.. where?)
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    @AstroBryGuy that's what I suspected at some point, but I couldn't see any logical reason for it, especially that I encountered some druids *after* finishing the mine and the dialogue lines addressing my charname looking for bandits appeared anyway. I think that knowing that this issue is not connected with BG NPC is enough then :)
    AstroBryGuy
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @jastey In a kind of ramshackle way, yes. @AstroBryGuy‌ and @Isaya have been providing fixes at an impressive speed for bugs that have been reported in the very limited testing carried out on this version, and few currently known issues are unattended.

At this point the general indication is that the current state of the mod is mostly playable and contains few if any bugs severe enough to wreck the game. A lot more work will seemingly be needed with identifying all NPC Project features that are at least partially dependant on BG2 assets though, to get everything working properly.

I don't know if there's any communication with the G3 people who worked on this though. I think it depends on the activity level of @cmorgan‌ and @LiamEsler‌.
    AstroBryGuyjackjack
    @AstroBryGuy , @Shin It's great to see you people putting work into this! cmorgan and LiamEsler both are not really active currently, did they say anything about how to carry on the official transition? From how I see it, they kind of disappeared into RL (but I didn't read all that is in this thread).

I have some corrections for the liam_bgee_vars.tpa, do you want me to post them here or how would I participate in GitHub (if that is possible)?
    AstroBryGuy
    edited April 2014
    @Jastey - No official transition, really... I, @Shin, and others had been making bug reports to cmorgan late last year, but I haven't seen cmorgan on the boards here for a while.

I'm happy to be helping out! As @Shin said, there's lots of work to be done, but there's nothing game-breaking yet - except maybe the romance challenges component (it needs resources from 2 BG2 areas). Makes for some amusing bug reports (see @winters encounter with the sahuagin :-) ).

Please post the corrections. That would be great! Or, you can make a fork of the repository on GitHub. BG1NPC is a "public" project, so anyone can make a fork.
    Shin
    Indeed no word as such on an official transition, though cmorgan and Liam both indicated that we were welcome to help in getting things up and running, and by extension that's what led to the current situation.

Now obviously things are playable to a degree where combining @AstroBryGuy‌'s version with any additional work as of yet done by the original team and building from there would seem like the wisest option.
    OxvaAstroBryGuySirK8
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    I do wonder tho where @cmorgan and @LiamEsler‌ disappear to ?????
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Using GitHub and a fork from the master from cmorgan is in my opinion the best way to ease transition to cmorgan. Git will make it very easy to spot what was changed compared to the master.
    The only issue is with binary files, which can't be compared. A detailled history of changes would be necessary to provide feedback to cmorgan on the changes and the reasoning behind it in that case.

@jastey, I saw you made a post in the workroom for BG1 NPC on G3 (for some reason people not allowed to get in still see who made the last post). Do you know who is in charge? Do you thing it would be possible for the people involved here (providing fixes, I mean) to apply for being invited in?
    I believe this topic is not pratical to discuss fixes and to organise work between contributors. We could discuss in the regular BG1 NPC forum, which would allow to create multiple topics. Still the idea of a private workroom looks better to me.
    AstroBryGuy
    jastey said:

@AstroBryGuy How would I do a fork - I really have no idea how it works, sorry...

It's actually really simple. Just create an account on GitHub and then click the "Fork" button in the upper right. GitHub takes care of the rest.
  • SHAZAM73SHAZAM73 Member Posts: 11
    Hey I have been excitedly watching the increase of activity the last few months and was thinking I might be able to lend a hand for the next week or so. Warning: I have no experience modding whatsoever but if you need somebody to test it and look for bugs I'm your man. Just tell me what you guys need I really appreciate the work you have been putting in.
    Itomon
    edited April 2014
    jastey said:
    @jastey‌ - Ok, I've made the following changes to liam_bgee_vars.tpa:

/* tp2, d, and baf parsing variables */
    OUTER_SPRINT "tutubgtbgee" "bgee"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdreams" "Dream"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdream1" "2"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdream2" "3"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdream3" "4"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdream4" "5"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdream5" "6"
    OUTER_SPRINT "bgdream6" "7"

/* BGT Chapters */
    OUTER_SPRINT "tutu_prologue" "0"

OUTER_SPRINT "NashkelCarnival_ArmorTent" "AR4901"
    Did I miss anything?

Thanks!
    SirK8
    @AstroBryGuy Yes, that is the three changes I listed, thank you very much!

@Isaya The hidden workroom is officially called "BG:EE Testing" forum, but I don't see a problem having a hidden forum for your activities of preparing the BG:EE version. I don't think cmorgan would mind, either. I will ask the G3 admins.

Your work is very much appreciated. I will ask at G3 for a possibility to provide a forum for focussing the work.
    jackjackSirK8AstroBryGuy
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

kaguana said:

I do wonder tho where @cmorgan and @LiamEsler‌ disappear to ?????

LiamEsler is working on Project Eternity, so it looks like he has his hands full:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/27828/a-bit-of-exciting-non-ee-news#latest
    Hoo I see, good to know that, I wish him good luck, thank you for the info :)
    JuliusBorisovmodestvoltalolien
    @SHAZAM73‌ Essentially play it with as many of the mod NPCs in your party as possible; do their quests, try out the full content of a romance and see if anything goes wrong or behaves weirdly.
    Itomon
    Will do
    jackjackItomon
    @AstroBryGuy @Isaya @Shin I asked the G3 admins and they are ready to set up a hidden BG:EE workroom. Please register at G3 (if you haven't yet) so you can get access. Who else would best get access?
    AstroBryGuyShinjackjack
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    As someone just following the progress from the outside, I'm wondering if a private forum is the best way to handle updating the mod. To me, it looks like a lot of work gets done as a result of random folks jumping in with questions and bug reports that wouldn't happen if the work was hidden from most people.

(I could be missing the point entirely of the private workroom, but just my 2 cents.)
    Rasekov
    A valid point, but I am sure the hidden forum will be mainly for co-ordinating the bugfixing etc. I applied for a hidden forum because I understood that's what Isaya was aiming at, but it can always be turned public if wanted.
    jackjack
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    @Isaya‌ I figured I was missing something. I'm all for whatever helps you work on this!

Continuing my bad habit of asking unnecessary questions: is a private forum necessary for the work or would keeping it open help attract more potential developers/coders (of which I am not)? Would someone update/monitor this thread?

And hopefully these questions don't come off as overly-critical - I'm just throwing out ideas. (And being super impressed at the work you all are doing and the time you're putting in!)
    Ok gonna go ahead and put on my noob/dunce hat on. Can't figure out how to install. Can someone direct me to the resources necessary? Is there an installation guide maybe?
    @Jastey - I'm already regsitered on G3. Same username.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @jastey‌ @AstroBryGuy‌ @Isaya‌ @Shin‌ Would you like me to close this thread so that you can open a new clean thread for bug reporting?
    Fina92
This discussion has been closed.