Skip to content

Crevs Daak has lost NetHack yet again

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
edited April 2014 in Off-Topic
...in the Gnomish Mines on dungeon level 5 with 7260 points, and 0 pieces of gold after 3502 moves. He was level 8 with a maximum of 56 hit points when he died.
Post edited by CrevsDaak on

Comments

• DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    dude..
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    One time I got a scroll of genocide in the gnomish mines. It was the best. Until I fell through two trap doors into a room full of ice wolves.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80‌ @Blackraven‌ @Dungeonnoob‌ sorry, I didn't thought much about that. I'll change it's title now.
    @Anduin yes, the game is called NetHack. You were trapped in a machine with your apprentice whom you helped to kill. I am playing n my phone a lot lately and as I can't play BG (because no one released BG:EE for iPhone but yes for iPad...), but really, it's a good game.

@Coriander‌ I got a scroll of genocide only once, and discovered that it was such when I died and identified my posessions, I started playing almost three weeks ago and I love the game already (despite of dying and dying all the times).
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Nethack is still a thing? And its no longer ASCII?! My mind is blown.

Nethack is still a thing? And its no longer ASCII?! My mind is blown.

You can play in ASCII, but in iphone you don't see a crap, so it's better with graphics.
    In computer I play with ASCII, I like it better (well, I play Angband in the computer to be precise).
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    You know, this makes me wish I knew how to play dwarf fortress. I'd start up a Boatmurdered scenario with everyone.

For those who don't know google boatmurdered and prepare to enjoy. It was a fortress people would build for a year, then pass it onto someone else, and keep doing so until the end of its days. Sadly, it did end, but it was one helluva trip and people treated it like a actual RP thing. Choosing one of the dwarves in the fortress to be and then imagining they're still in it after passing it on.

...One guy spent his whole year making his own tomb if I remember right. My hero, right there.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    What is net hack and how can I play?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

What is net hack and how can I play?

NetHack is pure iOS awesomeness and is available at an App Store near you. It will cost you nothing but time. So much time…
    It may also be available for Android.
    (It is).
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252

You know, this makes me wish I knew how to play dwarf fortress. I'd start up a Boatmurdered scenario with everyone.

For those who don't know google boatmurdered and prepare to enjoy. It was a fortress people would build for a year, then pass it onto someone else, and keep doing so until the end of its days. Sadly, it did end, but it was one helluva trip and people treated it like a actual RP thing. Choosing one of the dwarves in the fortress to be and then imagining they're still in it after passing it on.

...One guy spent his whole year making his own tomb if I remember right. My hero, right there.

This sounds like godsdamn' Durlag's Tower...
    ... and it's creepy.
    And even more amazing.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Damned I'm getting old... I still remember when nethack's revolutionary UI improvement was colored ASCII instead of monochrome... Though honestly I always preferred Angband.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really wish someone would port Zangband to iOS or Android...
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    colored ASCII??!!! Heretic!!
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    http://thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com/

I haven't seriously played Nethack for about 10 years. I'm very bad at it. I don't think I've made it below floor 30. And that was an accident from a cursed teleport scroll. I used to play loads of text based adventure games, roguelikes and MUDs. Nethack is definitely my favourite.
    @Anduin I always kill my pets. They are terrible.
    And if you do that with a Knight, your Pony give enough XP to reach lvl2.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I got to level 8. I then died from eating the corpse of white naga.

I think the only cure is to download BG...
    I found a leash! Cat come hither!

Now let me scribble Elebreth again...

Okay. Give me another week and this game is beat.

...Along with tiny death star, Sorcery, Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and Out There... All great games... for a phone...

Nethack by far the best. It is flappy duck meet bg no reload goodness...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Anduin said:

I found a leash! Cat come hither!

I have tried that on a cat before... It doesn't work. As soon as they feel a tug on the leash they just plant themselves and try to hold their ground. Truly there are only two ways a cat will move: Picking them up, or letting them go where they want to go.
    Yes... but it is always great to read the message "The leash has gone slack" and then backtrack to discover your tiger has fallen down a pit trap or teleported across the map... Actually the levelling up of the pets in Nethack is really intuitive.

Kitten
    Housecat
    Large cat
    Giant cat
    Massive cat
    Tiger...

Why can't BG do the same with pseudo dragons?
    Died surrounded by werewolves... Elbereth did not work... Oh shucks...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Try Angband. I always seem to die around level 23 to various hazards. One time it was Nether Hounds (Breathing Nether- ::shiver::) And once to an endless succession of Trolls from a Troll Pit. Seriously, I have never beaten Angband- It's old skool Nintendo Hard. I always play a Warrior, though, as they get access to special Level ::Feelings: that can give you hints if a Artifact, special enemy or such exists on the level. Then again, I have died on Level 1 to ticks as well (An entire 9 by 9 room full of ticks? Oh, look, all my blood is now gone! ::dies.::)
    Got blinded by a trap and then killed by some critters, at level 7, DL3, Gnomish Mines.