Skip to content

Things you have always wondered about

Comments

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited May 2014
    if my halfing has a kid with Aerie is the child a Halfling with wings? I really hope it is

I think that came from some mis-read Victorian text, or something. I'm not quite sure, but swear I recall having read somewhere that that whole claim was a load of palookie. Like Vikings being unwashed and smelly, or ALF being an enjoyable show to film.

yeh, ive heard this too, by and large I try not to put to much stock in these kind a things one way or another. Regardless of factual merit its still probably were the concept for D&D came from.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Apocrypha said:

he just used his divine essence to impregnate the women. Like Zeus in the Perseus myth;

or, recently, jesus

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tresset said:

Another thing I have always wondered is who is this "Mr. F" that those two idiots outside the Copper Coronet talk about? You know, that guy who attacks you for being in his way and the dwarf that he has with him.

Could be Fael. They could be there to clear up loose ends.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited May 2014
    simples said:

Apocrypha said:

he just used his divine essence to impregnate the women. Like Zeus in the Perseus myth;

or, recently, jesus

Maybe some deities get their spell lists from third-party supplements, the names of which I will not utter here.

What I want too know, is where all the khopeshes are. Those things are neat.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I've always wondered what they had planned if Imoen was killed off. Was it the same game basically, only she's dead once you get to spellhold? Would she still have even been a Bhaalspawn or did they add that?
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    edited May 2014
    If you play as an elf at the beginning of BG, doesn't that make you little more than a child? And does that then imply Aerire and Viconia are paedophiles for romancing you?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    An elf become adult when he is 115+ years old so yeah, Bhaal foresaw his death a long time ago ...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Tresset said:

How long, exactly, did the Time of Troubles last for Bhaal to have so many kids?

Also, what race was he? You can be human, half-elf and half-orc. But why pure elf, dwarf and halfling? Why not half-dwarf or two-thirdsling?

Because if you could be half everything that a lot to code game mechanics for, and I don't think 2/3 anything works with sexual reproduction.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2014
    meagloth said:

Tresset said:

How long, exactly, did the Time of Troubles last for Bhaal to have so many kids?

Also, what race was he? You can be human, half-elf and half-orc. But why pure elf, dwarf and halfling? Why not half-dwarf or two-thirdsling?

Because if you could be half everything that a lot to code game mechanics for, and I don't think 2/3 anything works with sexual reproduction.
    I can say that being of 1/3 or 2/3 of one race is mathematically impossible.
  • CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    dustbubsy said:

One thing I always wondered...

In my original, unmodded game from when BGII first game out, there was a mysterious potion on a shelf either in the Temple of Helm or Lathandar, in the Temple District. I can't remember the exact text but it was supposed to only work on Ogre Magi (you couldn't drink it yourself). I've no idea what it was used for and it's disappeared in the EE. If I had to guess it may have been something to do with the Gong quest, since an Ogre Mage appears in that, but was cut to save time.

That is relevant to a mini quest involving Mazzy where she fights a big ogre in the Copper Coronet. The potion you find is the same one the shady dealer offers to sell you to drug the big oaf(without Mazzy's knowledge)

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    While talking about clerics remember we also have paladins, who fill the gap a little. There is also a balance component.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Kinda don't see the balance there.

Clerics aren't prohibited from inflicting all sorts of blunt damage on an enemy that can very well result in their death, or break their bones, damage their organs, rupture the skin.

They get all sorts of buff spells to enhance their STR.

Having a rock hurtling at someone at incredible speed will still mess them up

So they're still causing a world of pain on their enemies. Prohibiting bladed weapons because they make people bleed seems silly when a well placed blow to the face with a magical war hammer wielded by a divinely buffed up guy will rip off jaws and cause blood to spurt everywhere.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    What were the illithid up to in Athkatla with this whole "Hidden" and "enlightened ones" and "Lady Jysstev" and "the Tumb" stuff? Also, why were they being led by an alhoon? I thought that illithid absolutely hated the alhoons.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Why does Bodhi have a cold when you first meet her? ;-)

Is Viconia really guilty of the murder that she's accused of in BG1?

More details on Shar-Teel's childhood and upbringing by Angelo.

What's the story behind the minotaur-led party that you briefly come across in the room full of myconids in the sewers under the Copper Coronet (presumably another loose end like the Guarded Compound)

Who was behind the creation of the Ice Island?

More details on the backstory behind the Harrower - did the heroic female paladin manage to take the evil vampire queen down with her?

Who was that little old guy that you meet early in BG1 who basically predicts your final battle with Sarevok and gives you a protection from magic scroll?

Who the hell leaves something like the Mace of Disruption just lying around in some random drawer??
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited May 2014

What's the story behind the minotaur-led party that you briefly come across in the room full of myconids in the sewers under the Copper Coronet (presumably another loose end like the Guarded Compound)

Oh yeah! That was what I was forgot to ask! I am so absent minded sometimes...
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    TheElf said:

I've always wondered what they had planned if Imoen was killed off. Was it the same game basically, only she's dead once you get to spellhold? Would she still have even been a Bhaalspawn or did they add that?

I imagine it would be the same game, just with slightly more incentive to want Irenicus and Bodhi dead(as if you need any)

Honestly it would make the final confrontation with Bodhi more climactic. It is kinda meh. Up the difficulty and the drama.

in cernd's quest, where does the secret door in the step-father's house go?
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798

TheElf said:

I imagine it would be the same game, just with slightly more incentive to want Irenicus and Bodhi dead(as if you need any)

Honestly it would make the final confrontation with Bodhi more climactic. It is kinda meh. Up the difficulty and the drama.

Maybe. The reason I always wondered about the Bhaalspawn thing in particular is that in BG2 suddenly they act as though Imoen was raised by Gorion too (without stating it I don't think) and that 'you must have suspected'. But there was no indication of it in BG1, even Gorion had no idea unless he was just a jerk. It all felt very retconny.
    simples said:

i REALLY want to know the answer

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    edited May 2014
    simples said:

simples said:

i REALLY want to know the answer

A wondrous ladies bathroom.
    With a stripper factory inside.
    And a beer volcano.
    that does not explain why a lich was hidden in there
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've always wondered why is raven like writing desk?
    Loub said:

simples said:

that does not explain why a lich was hidden in there

That wasn't a lich - it was a stripper who had fallen too far in her addiction to meth.
    i've heard of blacking out before, but casting time stop?

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    CrevsDaak said:

I've always wondered why is raven like writing desk?

Whaaaaaa...
    Go home Crevs, you're drunk.

That was a joke.