Skip to content

BG1 NPC personas vs. BG2 NPC personalities

One of the most prevalent (and valid) complaints when comparing BG1 and BG2 NPCs is that the BG1 NPCs have substantially less dialogue and interactions than the BG2 ones. While this is certainly accurate, I don't agree that this is entirely a drawback for the BG1 NPCs.

While the BG2 NPCs are more talkative, I've always felt that the BG1 NPCs projected the more interesting and memorable personas - i.e: Kivan as the quiet, no-nonsense tough guy (picture Dirty Harry with a bow instead of a magnum), Shar-Teel as a defiant, man-hating ultra-feminist, Eldoth as a charming scoundrel, Ajantis as a youthful, overzealous do-gooder, Safana as a conniving seductress, etc. By contrast, many of the BG2 NPCs, despite talking a lot more, often seem either forgettably bland (i.e: Keldorn, Mazzy, Cernd, Valygar), or just annoying (Anomen).

I'll admit that there are definitely times when playing BG1 that I wish the NPCs would interact more than they do. At the same time though, I also appreciate that the "less is more" approach of BG1 interactions allows you to form your own interpretations of the characters. For example, although not explicitly scripted, I've always imagined that there was a burgeoning romance developing between Kivan and Branwen, based on the obvious admiration that they show for each other (which is especially significant since Kivan never seems to have anything nice to say about anything else).

I also find that in many cases, the more a BG2 NPCs talks, the less likable or interesting they actually become. For example, the interactions between Mazzy and Valygar, while admittedly humorous, also make Valygar look like a lifeless wuss and Mazzy like a bit of a naive snob - which is not how I would picture either character otherwise. In BG1, Viconia presented to me as a sympathetic, persecuted character, and I was only too happy to accept her into my party and keep her under my protection. While she initially presents the same way in BG2, as soon as you rescue her, she starts berating Aerie (and also has some unkind remarks about Imoen IIRC), so much so that I just can't bring myself to accept her into my party (at least, not as long as Aerie is still in it). Likewise, Anomen is just such a flat out jerk to other party members that I often come to wonder whether I should keep him in, and whether I really should care whether he ever becomes a knight (heck, for the sake of the Order, I should probably not want him in it, LOL).

As I'm currently playing BG2 with BG1 NPCs imported through multiplayer, I currently have a party that is a mix of BG1 and BG2 NPCs, and I've been able to observe the differences side-by-side. While the interactions between the BG2 NPCs can make the game seem more spontaneous, I just can't bring myself to feel bonded to the BG2 NPCs the way that I am to the BG1 ones. For example, I recently swapped out Branwen for Anomen, but after playing with him for a while, I quickly felt so disinterested in him (and the game in general) that I revisited the save from prior to the swap and restarted playing without him.

So, if anyone out there has had the patience to read through this post, do you share any similar feelings?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

So, if anyone out there has had the patience to read through this post, do you share any similar feelings?

I do, the BG1 NPC project gives more background and makes the NPCs have *one* attitude, and an original personalty of they aspects shown in the original game.
    Anomen is a great character, I don't like him personally, but, it makes you *feel* something against or for him, that is what tells if he was good written, plus originality and player initiated dialog.
    Right. I generally prefer bg1, but I do wish there was more interaction, and I really want to play npc project(unfortunately, IPad, Mac App Store, modding difficulties) and I really like seeing them talk to eachother. It never seems to happen a lot with me(and all my romances have been broken, for some reason) so it's a nice treat. Also, crevs has a point. If you hate a character , then somebody in the writing department is doing it right.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My biggest complains are that BG1 Faldorn and BG1 Xzar have sadly almost nothing in common anymore with their BG2 counterparts. That, and they ceased to be joinable.

My love... I miss thee, Faldorn. :'(
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @SharGuidesMyHand, if Shar really guides your hand, then I don't see how you can bear with Aerie and refuse to have Vicky in your party ;)

Anyway, I can agree with you up to certain point.
    The BG1 NPC project is very well written, so it's natural that one starts comparing between the original BG2 banter and that of BG1 NPC project. I think that much depends on personal tastes and 'head canon'. To me, as to you, some of the BG2 banters feel out of character. The Mazzy-Valygar relationship you mentioned is a great example where I fully agree with you. But there are other BG2 characters/relationships that were really well-written imo. I for one, think that Anomen is amazing, for the reasons @CrevsDaak mentioned. He's easily one of my favorite BG2 NPCs (especially the Chaotic Neutral variant).
    At the same time there are NPCs I really like in BG1 NPC project (Dynaheir, Xzar, Khalid), and others who imo fail to transcend a basic stereotype. An example: I understand that Branwen is a no-nonsense type of woman, one who values actions over words. But that doesn't have to mean you can't get to know her well. Maybe it's just my perception but I felt that even when romanced there was little depth to character.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    meagloth said:

If you hate a character , then somebody in the writing department is doing it right.

But does it really take a whole lot to make a character unlikable? It seems to me that making a character likable is a distinctly bigger task.

For the record, I actually do like Anomen's overall subplot, which I feel provides some of the most poignant moments in the entire BG series. But this poignancy is very nearly undermined by the way Anomen just acts like a senseless jerk, even a bully, throughout the rest of the game - i.e.: berating Mazzy about her size and race for no apparent reason. I know Anomen is supposed to be overly anxious to prove himself, but the writers went way too far in that direction IMO, to the point where his behavior is simply indefensible and he loses some of his intended depth. IMO, it makes his efforts to become a knight just seem phony and superficial.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmm, I see your point to some extent, @SionIV - I guess the BG2 NPCs average a little blander. Nevertheless, several of the BG2 NPCs seem to me to have quite distinctive and engaging personalities - it's not necessary to have mental issues (Xzar, Tiax, Shar-Teel) to have a personality!
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    @SharGuidesMyHand‌ - You find Ajantis interesting but Keldorn bland? I don't know, I've always thought that Ajantis was horrifically stereotypical, whereas Keldorn had some actual depth to him. I'm not 100% happy with the Keldorn characterization, but way more so than I am with Ajantis.

I do think that there are NPCs in BG2 who are colorful (Haer'dalis is easily a match for anyone in BG1), and NPCs in BG1 who are forgettable (for me, Safana is the only female thief who doesn't feel like a carbon copy of the others). But I definitely agree that sometimes the banters do more harm than good when it comes to characterization.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014
    Mazzy - Good paladin type.
    Keldorn - Good paladin type.
    Anomen - Trying to be a good paladin type.

Aerie - Life sucks and i'm crying about it.
    Nalia - Life sucks for other people and i'm crying on their behalf.
    Valygar - My life sucks and i'm cursed, i'll brood instead of crying.
    Imoen - I feel that life does suck a bit, but i'll try to be happy.
    Viconia - Life does suck, but i'll try to make it seem worse to keep you away (romance)

Korgan - Life is fun!
    Jan Jansen - Life is fun! As long as you ignore my personal quest.
    Minsc - Life is fun!
    Haer'dalis - Life is fun!

Jaheira - I meddle in EVERYONES business.

Cernd - I'm my own person.
    Yoshimo - I'm my own person.
    Viconia - I'm my own person (no romance).

Edwin - Gets a category on his own.

This is generalizing, but compared to the NPC's in BG1 it's quite the difference.

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Quartz said:

@SionIV I would urge you to play through Jaheira's romance; she displays quite a bit more depth than being a meddling Harper. That said, I do find it obnoxious that you have to have a relationship going with her to actually get to know her. Silly.

I have done so several times and her romance is by far the most well made romance out of the bunch. I just feel that outside of the romance she does nothing except meddle and annoy.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I feel the same applies to how often I find myself 'favouriting' lesser characters in TV series- the type of people that populate the space, and ultimately are accessories to the development of the main characters.

Oh Ros...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

I feel the same applies to how often I find myself 'favouriting' lesser characters in TV series- the type of people that populate the space, and ultimately are accessories to the development of the main characters.

Oh Ros...

Autolycus, King of Thieves!
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I don't download any of the mods or packs etc. etc. that add dialogue to any of the BG1 or BG2 NPCs, and I haven't downloaded any additional NPCs created beyond the original production of the games (with the exception of the EE NPCs, I guess). As such, I don't have any bias or additional attachment to any of the characters that has been spawned by additional content.

What I would say is that the NPCs of BG1 create a sense of the D&D world, the adventuring archetypes, and the vaguely filled-in stencil sets of the kinds of PCs you might expect to find in a P&P game. They create a legitimate and enjoyable spread of personalities and attitudes that might span throughout the dungeon-delving world of Faerun.

BG2, on the other hand, gives you characters. Personalities that have been fleshed out by dialogue, and don't necessarily have much of an interest in being a race or a class (with the exception of Keldorn, and Cernd, but their classes sort of demand such a thing RP-wise). I really like the writing, and find it is engaging and credible to the character. Some characters definitely got screwed in how much dialogue they were actually given (Valygar, for example), whereas others were spoiled by an over-abundance of repetitive motifs in their dialogue (Aerie, Anomen).

To each his own, however.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @recklessheart‌ This is when a simple "agree" is not enough. I've deliberately refrained from commenting in this thread because on one hand I didn't want to offend the OP in the slightest but on the other hand I thought that NPCs in two games are just different, their concepts are different and they're presented to us by the Devs differently.

But you've managed to find the particular words I share wholeheartedly. Indeed, BG1 NPCs, just as BG1 as a whole, create a piece of the D&D universe and this is why I love BG1 so much, this is why I'm so tied to BG1 NPCs. And BG2 NPCs, just as BG2 as a whole, create something different. You're right to call it "more fleshed out". Not so old-school but entertaing in its own way. And I love it too. But just differently.

So, like some people often say on this forum, "this, this so much" (regarding @recklessheart‌ 's post).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'd like to state that in BG2 all the NPC's have a dark side.

Aerie is sweet and naive, but has a traumatic past. VIconia is arrogant and evil, but that is more of a defense mechanism. Anomen wants to become a knight of the order, but he doesn't respect others below his own station...

Back in BG1, NPC's were more "innocent" . In fact, even Charname was more innocent.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    DJKajuru said:

I'd like to state that in BG2 all the NPC's have a dark side.

Aerie is sweet and naive, but has a traumatic past. VIconia is arrogant and evil, but that is more of a defense mechanism. Anomen wants to become a knight of the order, but he doesn't respect others below his own station...

Back in BG1, NPC's were more "innocent" . In fact, even Charname was more innocent.

That's kind of the point. BG1 is kind of Charname's backstory, the quest that made him/her into a badass by the time the second game comes around. Seeing your father murdered before your eyes, forced to fight and kill countless people who're after your head, discovering your true ancestry as a child of Bhaal, and confronting your psychopathic half-brother... Not a lot of people can come out of a quest like that and retain their innocence.

As for the NPCs, another large part of it is that we didn't have the writing ability to develop any of their stories or histories. You had a biography that you could choose to read or not, and little snippets of dialogue to flash some personality; certainly not enough to give a really detailed character and their many aspects. I feel like "innocent" isn't the right word to use on the BG1 NPCs. Maybe "basic" would be better?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited November 2015
    @Nonnahswriter
    I think "Empty" is the word your looking for.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I usually prefer the approach "less is more" and this is the case here as well. To me those several dialogues and spoken lines of BG1 NPCs are way more memorable than the "in your face" overall feel (quests, dialogues, dreams, etc.) of BG2. I really like when there's room left for your imagination. That's how the whole BG1 actually works, many locations don't have fleshed out story, the player can create his/her own.

Besides, I enjoy reading BG1 NPC's biography, there's some very interesting background information about them. There are also some conflicts ending in actual fight as well an actual banter, but ocurring quite rarely - it's a nice surprise when it happens.

A couple days ago I rewatched the first Predator movie and in my head I heard Shar-Teel saying "If it bleeds, we can kill it" and "I don't have time to bleed".
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Tuth said:

A couple days ago I rewatched the first Predator movie and in my head I heard Shar-Teel saying "If it bleeds, we can kill it" and "I don't have time to bleed".

That's the slight difference between the movie line and the game line. In Predator, Dutch says "If it bleeds, we can kill it", whereas in Baldur's Gate, Shar-Teel says "If it bleeds, I can kill it".

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Tuth
    And that is where we disagree my friend, bg1 is a big open world that ultimately feels empty because there is minimal interaction between the npc and the world itself. I for one got tired of some of the characters constantly repeating the same lines when I clicked, for example I didn't find anything Shar-teel said memorable because because none of it held any weight or worth it. "If it bleeds, I can kill it " So what? So can any mini miny mo, catch a tiger by the toe -pick any random recruitable npc.- It was generic, it was boring, she was lifeless. At least with Jaheira she said a thing or two that broke the fourth wall which her memorable, "yes omnipresent authority figure."

The very problem with bg1 is one of the things that people hated about shadowrun returns, hell even the companions in skyrim would make a statement time and again about a cave or an fortress. The npcs you put on your team were just lifeless shells. They were just there, even if the story is about you, you're not alone. This is why bg2 was better, the npc interacted. They ACTUALLY had personality and a bit of semi awareness. It isn't about more or less, its about giving these characters sentience and BG1 fails at that.

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Shar-Teel as a defiant, man-hating ultra-feminist,

*clears throat* Sorry for derailing this thread abit, but I don't think this warrants a thread of its own. I just wanted to point out though, that Shar is not a "man-hating ultra-feminist". Male chauvinism and misogyny is about inequality and the idea that one sex is below the other (in this case females). Feminism is about equality, meaning both sexes are equal and should be treated that way. This means Shar, who without doubt hates men, is a misandrist and not a feminist. No offense to the OP, but it's descriptions like these of 'feminists' that makes people shy away from it instead of embracing it.
    /end rant.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think the problem is that, though feminists like me are in favor of gender equality, misandrists like to justify their sexism by calling themselves feminists.

I could say they're not really feminists, but I don't control the English language. English is determined by usage, not by fiat. And if misandrists call themselves feminists, then that's at least part of the definition.

They're just not my kind of feminist.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    @Gallowglass
    I know there's the difference in that quote. It would be silly for her to say "We can kill it" when there's not that big of a chance that the rest of the party would like killing as she does.

@DragonKing
    It's all a matter of opinion, intepretation and immersion. To you BG2 NPCs feel like alive and to someone else it's just scripted piece of text. You can immerse yourself no matter how much character talks. When there's little dialogue (or none like in IWD games) you have a lot of room for your own imagination, if you're willing to fill that room of course.

To me it's actually better to leave some aspects of the story (locations, characters etc.) for the players to fill out. There's something fascinating about things shrouded in mystery, or not given on a plate. I accept that I'm a minority in that aspect.

It goes quite similarly with books and creating your own image of the world and characters vs how the movie adaptation presents them. You will almost always prefer your own vision to someone else's. As I said before it's a matter of opinion and it's always better to separate it from facts.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

I think the problem is that, though feminists like me are in favor of gender equality, misandrists like to justify their sexism by calling themselves feminists.

I could say they're not really feminists, but I don't control the English language. English is determined by usage, not by fiat. And if misandrists call themselves feminists, then that's at least part of the definition.

They're just not my kind of feminist.

If a mod want to stop this discussion right here and now, let me know and I will stop posting about it here.

I just want to point out though that if your example would stand true, Shar'teel would have to call herself a feminist, which she doesn't. It was the OP that called her that and I corrected it, therefore even if I concur with your reasoning it still can't be applied to this particular case.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Skatan: I was speaking more in general. I don't think Shar'teel even knows the word feminism.