Skip to content

Tenya Thermidor v1.5

CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
edited August 2023 in BG:EE Mods
Tenya for BG:Enhanced Edition

Tenya:- No! Bring her back! I want to kill her again!

--

I took a little break from working on my Aerie mod for BG2, to try something a little more fun. This is a mod that makes 12 year old Umberlant Tenya a joinable NPC, after you help her of course. Yes, if you like character like Arya Stark or Hit-Girl, but feel they don't talk about carnivorous sea snails or sing shanties enough, now you can become guardian of your own darling little tempestuous ball of fury.

BGEETenya15c.rar

Tenya has a low strength for a cleric, but makes up for it with some special abilities and unique items. She can cast Storm Shield once per day like a cleric of Talos. She also of course has the Bowl of Water Elemental Control... but her mother never even told her how to make it work, so she has to learn elsewhere.

She has at least one interaction with every Bioware and Beamdog NPC as well as several comments along your main quest and a few interjections elsewhere, (in particular around the temple of Umberlee, of course).

Otherwise, what is there is to say? Tenya is a twelve year old priestess wielding a lot of power for someone so young. Her earth-mother never treated her well, but a child's love for her mother is unconditional. After her mother's murder she, consumed by anger, turn to Umberlee. She wished for vengeange, but it was the bowl her mother had entrusted her to protect Tenya most wanted back. She had hoped she would be able to scare the fishermen who stole the artifact into returning it, but they were proving more stubborn than she had anticpated and she was starting to consider more desperate measures, when of course, you step in.

In addition to banters, small quest, and interjections, Tenya now has a small number of Player Initiated Dialogues... press on the speech button and then on Tenya while she's in the party to have a little chat.

Here is a big portrait. The actual in-game portrait has been redone a little by @Asthner, adding a bit more tecture to her scarf.

Some other notes:

Class: Cleric

Stats:

STR 9
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 16
CHA 13

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral ( I changed her alignment to CN, for several reasons. First, I don't really go along with the idea in a lot of other media that the field of child psychology is really just a diversion from the truth that all children are possessed by the spirits of evil aliens. Second, I feel it better reflects her personality anyway - she is quick to anger, abrasive, and like children do will sometimes try to test the limits of people around her to see how much she can get away with. But, she can actually be quite helpful and even nice, on occasion. Lastly I just wanted to leave it open so that maybe in some future expansion she can develop either way due to your influence.

Her stats are not magnificent, but she has a fair bit of stuff. Like a ring that gives an extra cleric spell each level and also functions as a ring of protection +2.

She has a bunch of mephit spells she can cast (steam and ice shards etc... basically all the ones that have any sort of connection to water. She's a waterbender). Not really very powerful, but can be useful on occassion.

She can also cast Storm Shield once per day like a Cleric of Talos.

Spoiler:

At the end of her 'quest', she'll be able to use the bowl. It allows her to summon a Water Elemental once per day, which gets stronger as she levels up (Lesser, norm, Greater). It improves every five levels, so since she caps at level 9 I think in BG1, you won't get the first upgrade without removing the XP cap first. Since I couldn't find any water elemental creature in BG1, I had to make up my own, just taking the fire elementals and swapping around damage/resistances to fire and ice.

Hi guys. I haven't been around for a long, long, time, but I'm glad people are still enjoying Tenya. Just a reminder that if you want to contact me for any reason, the best bet is probably using Tumblr - its the only platform I check semi-regularly. Although bear in mind I'm not modding this game anymore - I haven't even played it in years so wouldn't know how to begin. Might go back to it after playing Baldur's Gate 3 for a bit.
Post edited by Coutelier on
CrevsDaakCaloNordlolienElrandirSharGuidesMyHandAwong124 TheArtisanGodKaiserHellJuliusBorisovelminsterkamuizinAerakarRaistlin82Zaghoulmashedtatershanhwisooevzhy

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Wonderful! I like Tenya and I'll definitely try her out :)
    Coutelierlolien
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Haha what a beautiful idea I love it! :) Cheers!
    CoutelierlolienWise_Grimwald
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I also assumed she'd be either a lobsterwoman or a chuul... but this sounds good too.
    CoutelierlolienAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Little update. Just fixed and corrected a few things.

BGEETenya11.
    CaloNordlolien
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    She always seemed like a good candidate, keen to see how she works out!

/added to list for next playthrough
    Coutelierlolien
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I like it! I especially like the portrait. I don't know how well it fits in, but she actually looks like a young girl. Can you post her stats on this page so we can see them?
    lolien
    Elrandir said:

I like it! I especially like the portrait. I don't know how well it fits in, but she actually looks like a young girl. Can you post her stats on this page so we can see them?

I remember seeing a guide to 'baldurizing' photos somewhere on these forums. I might look that up at some point and see if I can apply some of the same techniques to this picture. I had orignally wanted to put in a voice set as well, but unfortunately I don't know any twelve year olds or voice actors who can sound like one, so I started experimenting with changing the pitch and tempo of some of the other voice sets in game, but didn't really get anywhere. But that's why there's a sound folder in the download, even though all it contains is a slightly modified version of her existing voice ('Umberlee guides my way', basically it...)

As for her stats, IIRC they're:

STR 9
    DEX 16
    CON 14
    INT 12
    WIS 16
    CHA 13

If it's interesting to anyone at all, the stats for the original in-game creature file for Tenya were:

STR 9
    DEX 11
    CON 10
    INT 14
    WIS 14
    CHA 13

Given her low STR for a cleric and her being unable to wear heavy armor, I decided to increase her DEX a bit, and tweaked her INT and WIS to favor the cleric side. She's a bright girl really, even though her education was a bit different to the norm. None of her stats are maxed, but like I mentioned she has a few unique items and abilities.
    CrevsDaakElrandirlolien
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited July 2014
    I haven't even downloaded it yet, and already I've "liked" it.

But how does the mod handle the fact that Tenya would normally (re)appear and assist you during the quest where you retrieve the boy's body from Umberlee's temple?

Also, if I also intend to install the NPC Project mod (pre-release version), does the order in which I install each of them matter?
    Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited July 2014

I haven't even downloaded it yet, and already I've "liked" it.

But how does the mod handle the fact that Tenya would normally (re)appear and assist you during the quest where you retrieve the boy's body from Umberlee's temple?

If she doesn't join you, she should still reappear later in the temple, I hope, and you can recruit her then if you want and she'll give you the body when she joins. Actually now I think about it I don't recall if I checked the other Umberlee priestesses dialogue to ensure the option to summon Tenya doesn't appear if she's joined you. Unfortunately, if you did recruit Tenya outside the city you'll probably end up having to pay for the body,

I'm afraid I don't know about other mods, but it should only be mods that affect Tenya there might be issues with. Otherwise it shouldn't matter too much about the order, but I guess I'll figure it out as I try more different mods with it.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    That is a gigantic-ass portrait.
    CoutelierCrevsDaakWise_Grimwald
    Awong124 said:

That is a gigantic-ass portrait.

Well, when I render things now I typically render them much larger than the actual final product is going to be. The portraits in the download are just the normal size, I assure you.
    Awong124CrevsDaakWise_Grimwald
    I tried out the mod, but unfortunately, it appears that when I accept her into my party, the game's original version of Tenya is added rather than the modded version. See screenshot below.

Notice that the original CRE file doesn't have any weapon proficiencies.

Be warned that if you give, or already gave, the modded version of Tenya weapon proficiencies, she won't be able to equip certain weapons (like flails, even though they're her starting equipment) due to her low strength.

See the below screenshot - the flail in her hand is "redded," meaning that if I were to unequip it, I wouldn't be able to equip it again.

Elrandirlolien
    edited August 2014

I tried out the mod, but unfortunately, it appears that when I accept her into my party, the game's original version of Tenya is added rather than the modded version. See screenshot below.

I've no idea why that would be happening. She installs fine for me, so maybe it is because of some other mod. I only have the tweak pack installed right now. Or had you already visited the area she's in before installing the mod? It's possible then your savegame will have the original creature, maybe. I seem to recall that happening to me once.

I already changed the modded version from flail to a quarterstaff. She'll come with a staff +1 as it does the same damage, and has proficiencies in staff and sling.

lolien
    edited August 2014
    Coutelier said:

Or had you already visited the area she's in before installing the mod? It's possible then your savegame will have the original creature, maybe. I seem to recall that happening to me once.

That would appear to have been my mistake, thanks.

I tried again using a saved game from before entering that area, and it appears to work fine now. Fantastic job!

Even her bio is great! - though I should point out that there does appear to be a small typo where it says "Her mother allowed, nor Tenya to venture..."
    Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on
    CrevsDaakElrandirlolien

Even her bio is great! - though I should point out that there does appear to be a small typo where it says "Her mother allowed, nor Tenya to venture..."

I'm glad it's working. :) I'll correct that on the next update and a little bit more stuff like some player intiated dialogues.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    This is a great idea, one of the most memorable encounters from the original game, great portrait as well.
    Does everything else remain, such as the option to side with the farmers and take her out??

This is a great idea, one of the most memorable encounters from the original game, great portrait as well.
    Does everything else remain, such as the option to side with the farmers and take her out??

Everything else should be the same, yeah. You'll have the option of recruiting Tenya after helping her. If you choose not to, you should be able to ask for her later in the temple as normal during the quest to get the boy back. You can recruit her then and get the body, and everything else should remain the same.
    lolien
    Coutelier said:

If you choose not to, you should be able to ask for her later in the temple as normal during the quest to get the boy back. You can recruit her then and get the body, and everything else should remain the same.

In one of the original dialogue options, Tenya would return the boy's body, but then instruct the others to attack so that you would basically have to run a gauntlet to escape - does this option still exist with the mod installed?

Also, how does the situation play out if Tenya is already in the party? I'm mainly curious as to whether the game would mistakenly spawn a second Tenya to bring the boy's body to you.

Coutelier said:

If you choose not to, you should be able to ask for her later in the temple as normal during the quest to get the boy back. You can recruit her then and get the body, and everything else should remain the same.

In one of the original dialogue options, Tenya would return the boy's body, but then instruct the others to attack so that you would basically have to run a gauntlet to escape - does this option still exist with the mod installed?

Also, how does the situation play out if Tenya is already in the party? I'm mainly curious as to whether the game would mistakenly spawn a second Tenya to bring the boy's body to you.
    All the original dialogue should still be there - if you annoy or upset her she might set the other Umberlants on you. You'll only have the option to recruit her if you helped her before.

If you go to the temple to get the body with Tenya already in your party, you'll have to deal with Jalantha Mistmyr instead. Tenya will interject some dialogue, but you'll likely have to pay the high priestess for it.
    lolien
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2014
    Hey. Just wanted to say that I'm using this mod and enjoying it. Found a game-breaking issue (in a separate playthrough) though if you don't have Tenya in your party and go to the temple of Umberlee later, her dialogue when she beats up the priestesses loops endlessly. Screenshot below:

Cause: in B2#NAIDA.dlg file the following lines cause an infinite loop.

APPEND B2#Ran
    IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 8
    SAY ~.....~
    IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~TENYA~ B2#TF2i
    END
    END

APPEND TENYA
    IF ~~ THEN BEGIN B2#TF2i
    SAY ~Grrr! If... If the priestesses catch you out here, they will likely punish you for losing. Run.~
    IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~B2#RAN~ 8
    END
    END

The last part should be: IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~B2#RAN~ 9

Edit: Actually after fixing this myself I've found another problem: the following cutscene never ends. I have no idea what causes this, I'm bad with cutscenes :/ so I've just edited the strings to remove the cutscene altogether. Might want to look at this.
    CoutelierCrevsDaaklolien

Hey. Just wanted to say that I'm using this mod and enjoying it. Found a game-breaking issue (in a separate playthrough) though if you don't have Tenya in your party and go to the temple of Umberlee later, her dialogue when she beats up the priestesses loops endlessly. Screenshot below:

Edit: Actually after fixing this myself I've found another problem: the following cutscene never ends. I have no idea what causes this, I'm bad with cutscenes :/ so I've just edited the strings to remove the cutscene altogether. Might want to look at this.

Thanks. I'll look into it. I've had no problems with the cutscene when Tenya is in the party so I'll have to compare and see what's diffferent.

lolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I took a look at the cutscene scripts and some are missing an end for the CutsceneId("blahblahblah") action.
    Here I listed them in a screenshot (since I am too lazy to actually read and the write here the files' names):

Nice mod BTW! I don't usually play with a party (unless I am testing something that requires to use a party), but if I do play with a party someday (WARNING: that might never happen) I'll surely consider this mod ;)
    lolien
    edited August 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

I took a look at the cutscene scripts and some are missing an end for the CutsceneId("blahblahblah") action.
    Here I listed them in a screenshot (since I am too lazy to actually read and the write here the files' names):

I think it might just be the CutSceneId in cTS06 is set to Tenya, who leaves the area. I'll try changing it to Player1.
    Nice mod BTW! I don't usually play with a party (unless I am testing something that requires to use a party), but if I do play with a party someday (WARNING: that might never happen) I'll surely consider this mod ;)
    Thank you. :) I'm just going to work out these bugs, maybe add a few more little bits like some Player initiated dialogues, then it will be done, in case you ever do decided to play it.

CrevsDaaklolien
    Sorry. I should have posted this weeks ago, but so much has been going on.

My old dog had to be taken to the vet to be put down. :( She was over 14 years old though, which is, what, 98 in human years? It's a good old age anyway.

I am also now officially a Mac user. That is I have a Mac in my home. I still have my old PC for working on stuff like this, because it's better, but that won't stop me from hanging out at the Apple Stare drinking small cups of coffee and scoffing and turning my nose up at you poor, poor people stuck with your Windows PC's.

Anyway, when I haven't been snooty, I have done a bit of work on my mods. I've fixed all the things mentioned above, I think, added a couple of interjections, and also some Player Initiated Dialogues with Ten. Even though she hasn't any voice acting, I wrote out some different lines in her creature file anyway. Don't know if they show up in the game or not.

BGEETenya12.

I can't imagine doing much more with this Mod. She already has a lot more than a vanilla BG1 NPC. I may bring her back for BG2 some time with a lot more in depth banter, quests, etc. But in the meantime I'm back to working on the Aerie mod for BG2.
    lolien TheArtisanrufus_hobart
    Coutelier said:

My old dog had to be taken to the vet to be put down. :( She was over 14 years old though, which is, what, 98 in human years? It's a good old age anyway.

I am also now officially a Mac user. That is I have a Mac in my home. I still have my old PC for working on stuff like this, because it's better, but that won't stop me from hanging out at the Apple Stare drinking small cups of coffee and scoffing and turning my nose up at you poor, poor people stuck with your Windows PC's.

Anyway, when I haven't been snooty, I have done a bit of work on my mods. I've fixed all the things mentioned above, I think, added a couple of interjections, and also some Player Initiated Dialogues with Ten. Even though she hasn't any voice acting, I wrote out some different lines in her creature file anyway. Don't know if they show up in the game or not.

BGEETenya12.

I can't imagine doing much more with this Mod. She already has a lot more than a vanilla BG1 NPC. I may bring her back for BG2 some time with a lot more in depth banter, quests, etc. But in the meantime I'm back to working on the Aerie mod for BG2.

Very sorry to hear about your dog.

And your mac. ;-)

Will there be any problems if I install this mod update with a game already in progress? I have an older version of the mod installed, but I haven't yet entered Tenya's area, or even the ankheg area.

Coutelier said:

BGEETenya12.

Very sorry to hear about your dog.

And your mac. ;-)

Will there be any problems if I install this mod update with a game already in progress? I have an older version of the mod installed, but I haven't yet entered Tenya's area, or even the ankheg area.
    The Player-Initiated-Dialogues all seem to work fine with a game in progress and with her already in the party, which is the only major new addition. Maybe some of the lines for select and action, battle cries, etc, that I added to her creature file won't appear, but like I said there's no voice acting for those. I slightly reduced the weight of a special Quarterstaff/Halbard you can pick in her 'quest', so if you already picked that up you'll probably be stuck with the heavier version, but otherwise I think it should all be fine.

But if you haven't even been to the bridge area you first meet her in yet, there should be no problems at all.

SharGuidesMyHandlolien
    Coutelier said:

I slightly reduced the weight of a special Quarterstaff/Halbard you can pick in her 'quest', ...

I haven't encountered anything associated with her quest yet, but just out of curiosity, is this weapon usable by people proficient in staffs or halberds?

Coutelier said:

I slightly reduced the weight of a special Quarterstaff/Halbard you can pick in her 'quest', ...

I haven't encountered anything associated with her quest yet, but just out of curiosity, is this weapon usable by people proficient in staffs or halberds?
    It's intended for Tenya, so it uses her staff proficiency, although I think any cleric should be able to use it as well. It's quite a powerful weapon anyway. I intend when I get on to BG2 to have opportunities to further upgrade it to +3 and +4 versions.
    Sereveruslolien