Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• charlienailcharlienail Member Posts: 15
    what? there are (frustrated) paying customers on all of the platforms
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited August 2014

what? there are (frustrated) paying customers on all of the platforms

Nobody has bought BG2EE on Android yet, have they? Your question can't reasonably be answered without those sales figures.
    Regardless, since they promised to deliver it, the loss of credibility that would come with failing to do so would be unacceptable from a business standpoint.

Edit: Or am I mistaken, and is BG2EE available for preorder on Android?
  • charlienailcharlienail Member Posts: 15
    The question was: what inspired the team to make such a large and more ambitious patch compared to the last patch releases?

The answer was: Android's release, mainly. There was a lot of architectural work that needed to be done in order to make it work on the Android platform, and as a result a lot of polish as well.

My post
    "so was Android worth the trouble financially? compared to the effort it took to release on PC/MAC/iOS are the profits there from Android to justify the delay for all of your other platforms?"

is referring to BG:EE and patch 1.3.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417

Dee said:

@dreamrider‌ @Anduin‌

What sort of flicker do you mean? Is it an occasional frame of black, or is it more like a slow strobe?

At what point during your ten-hour session did it occur?

Single flash of black screen.

First time was early, prologue or maybe even character creation. However, it only occurs at long intervals (1-2 hours?), and I have seen no consistency on when. Does not seem (to me) to be in conjunction with screen loading, nor any particular action. I have had a blink while moving, in a skirmish, and while messing around with inventory in Kagain's storeroom.

I CAN say that it is not a general graphics glitch in the system. It isn't happening when I a browsing, reading e-mail, playing Torchlight, etc.

Sorry. I know that is not much evidence.

I'll try playing the current game file in 1.2 and see if I notice.
    OK, just played 1.2 looking for the 'black flash' (or at least had the game up through ~9 hours including family supper, kids homework, ...and about 3 hours of playing off and on.)

I DID note the 'black flash' type flicker in 1.2. Saw it about 4 times while I was actually at the computer. Longest interval between (while I was actually at the computer continuously) was about 90 min interval; shortest interval between was maybe 15-20 mins.

Sometimes I was in an Inventory screen, sometimes party was just walking the map, twice while messing with stuff stored on the shelves in Kagain's store. I return to Kagain's a lot, however, as my preferred cache, so I don't think that is significant.

Characteristics of the effect, again, is just a single flash to black across the entire screen. Play is barely interrupted, and there is no continuing performance hit.

Since this is now demonstrated present in v1.2 as well, I assume that per announcement there will be no fix effort, no further reporting needed except to enter it in Bug Reports, pending the swing around to v1.4 BG:EE work somewhere down the road.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I have noticed the same behavior on one of my systems running 1.2, though I must admit I chalked it up to my display adapter being weird.

It's not really even an inconvenience, it happens so quickly; it's just a little odd. As stated by dreamrider, it happens at random times. I believe I have had it happen on both short play sessions and long, but I can't be certain of that. I shall try to pay more attention. One thing I am certain of is that it only happens on one of my two systems. I play BG:EE on a laptop at times, but more often play on a beefy desktop rig. Only the desktop has ever had this happen.
    Note, however, that I am always playing on my 3-4 year old laptop, albeit a hefty i7 device, top notch "just-short-of-gaming-rig" of that timeframe.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @jackjack: It's still a valid, albeit somewhat morbid, question - if BG:EE succeeded on Android, you can at least argue that PC, Mac and iOS users didn't get shafted this past year for nothing... *shrug*

Dee said:

@dreamrider‌ @Anduin‌

What sort of flicker do you mean? Is it an occasional frame of black, or is it more like a slow strobe?

At what point during your ten-hour session did it occur?

Single flash of black screen.

First time was early, prologue or maybe even character creation. However, it only occurs at long intervals (1-2 hours?), and I have seen no consistency on when. Does not seem (to me) to be in conjunction with screen loading, nor any particular action. I have had a blink while moving, in a skirmish, and while messing around with inventory in Kagain's storeroom.

I CAN say that it is not a general graphics glitch in the system. It isn't happening when I a browsing, reading e-mail, playing Torchlight, etc.

Sorry. I know that is not much evidence.

I'll try playing the current game file in 1.2 and see if I notice.
    OK, just played 1.2 looking for the 'black flash' (or at least had the game up through ~9 hours including family supper, kids homework, ...and about 3 hours of playing off and on.)

I DID note the 'black flash' type flicker in 1.2. Saw it about 4 times while I was actually at the computer. Longest interval between (while I was actually at the computer continuously) was about 90 min interval; shortest interval between was maybe 15-20 mins.

Sometimes I was in an Inventory screen, sometimes party was just walking the map, twice while messing with stuff stored on the shelves in Kagain's store. I return to Kagain's a lot, however, as my preferred cache, so I don't think that is significant.

Characteristics of the effect, again, is just a single flash to black across the entire screen. Play is barely interrupted, and there is no continuing performance hit.

Since this is now demonstrated present in v1.2 as well, I assume that per announcement there will be no fix effort, no further reporting needed except to enter it in Bug Reports, pending the swing around to v1.4 BG:EE work somewhere down the road.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I have noticed the same behavior on one of my systems running 1.2, though I must admit I chalked it up to my display adapter being weird.

It's not really even an inconvenience, it happens so quickly; it's just a little odd. As stated by dreamrider, it happens at random times. I believe I have had it happen on both short play sessions and long, but I can't be certain of that. I shall try to pay more attention. One thing I am certain of is that it only happens on one of my two systems. I play BG:EE on a laptop at times, but more often play on a beefy desktop rig. Only the desktop has ever had this happen.
    Note, however, that I am always playing on my 3-4 year old laptop, albeit a hefty i7 device, top notch "just-short-of-gaming-rig" of that timeframe.
    This report has been copied to BG:EE Bug Reports. Title: BG:EE for Windows (v1.2 &v1.3 beta) "Black Flash".
    Dee said:

We're pushing out a new update to the Windows and Mac betas; Android will be coming later this afternoon or early tomorrow, depending on how long it takes to upload.

Highlights for this update, 1.3.2053:

- The Pre-generate character screen truncates the file name for exported characters to 8 characters, just like the Export screen in-game.
    - Info-spot text that hits the edge of the area will now shift itself so that the text does not get cut off. The text size should also stay the same unless it's a really long description.
    - There is no more hanging indent on the second line of dialogue, no matter what font size you're using.

Oh darn! Now I have to DL =another= improved beta.
    edited August 2014
    Just an operating question that might aid my bug hunt a little.

Is it possible to play in windowed mode?

If so, where/what is the magic button/command/etc.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Alt-Enter toggles it for you.
    edited August 2014
    shawne said:

@jackjack: It's still a valid, albeit somewhat morbid, question - if BG:EE succeeded on Android, you can at least argue that PC, Mac and iOS users didn't get shafted this past year for nothing... *shrug*

How did you get shafted? Did they take away your QUITE REASONABLY PLAYABLE game??
    Quit whining. Especially in this thread - it's a venue for work on the game.
    edited August 2014
    @dreamrider: You have a very interesting definition of "quite reasonably playable". And we'll leave it at that. I was responding to other comments made on this thread, so if you don't have anything to contribute to that discussion, go about your own business and stay out of mine.

The question was: what inspired the team to make such a large and more ambitious patch compared to the last patch releases?

The answer was: Android's release, mainly. There was a lot of architectural work that needed to be done in order to make it work on the Android platform, and as a result a lot of polish as well.

My post
    "so was Android worth the trouble financially? compared to the effort it took to release on PC/MAC/iOS are the profits there from Android to justify the delay for all of your other platforms?"

is referring to BG:EE and patch 1.3.

Fair enough. But I'm willing to bet the sequel will bring in the majority of their revenue, so asking if it's been financially worth it before BG2EE's Android release is asking for an incomplete answer.
    jackjack said:

Fair enough. But I'm willing to bet the sequel will bring in the majority of their revenue, so asking if it's been financially worth it before BG2EE's Android release is asking for an incomplete answer.

How so? There can't be that many people who are interested enough to buy BG2:EE on the one hand, but not interested enough to get BG:EE last year on the other. There's probably going to be significant overlap in terms of sales, so BG:EE's success can be used as a fair-to-decent projection of how well BG2:EE will go.
    I, for instance, didn't buy either until the release of BG2EE. But I suppose I'm an outlier. I waited a year so bugs could be sorted out…
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I bought it immediately because I was never bothered by bugs. At least not enough to not play the game at all.

I am long-suffering but impatient I guess.
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    I know im about half a page late to the party but as an owner of the original games and enhanced additions for PC and a beta tester and user of the android version, I can say that the Android version was definitely worth the effort and time put in by the team. it's fantastic. The game almost feels like it was meant for touch. It was the main impus for buying a tablet and im not alone in that. The nexus 7 is a great portable and now realitively inexpensive platform for the game and it didnt play bad on my galaxy s3 and s4. If you want I believe you can cast it to a tv and use bluetooth peripherals with it... and trent said it surpassed their sales expectations. In short, totally worth the delay... must have bg2 android...
  • Airman1991Airman1991 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 50
    @Dee I think I found an old bug, that was supposed to be fixed with this patch. I set one of my character to the (FIGHTER2) script which is the Fighter Defensive script, and it causes the containers to open and then immediately close, but I am pretty sure this bug was supposed to be fixed earlier in this patch. I was playing on my nexus 7, but can give you the save file if you need it.
    Here is the save file.

@Dee I think I found an old bug, that was supposed to be fixed with this patch. I set one of my character to the (FIGHTER2) script which is the Fighter Defensive script, and it causes the containers to open and then immediately close, but I am pretty sure this bug was supposed to be fixed earlier in this patch. I was playing on my nexus 7, but can give you the save file if you need it.

I don't see anything about that in the change log; where did you see that it had been fixed?
    edited August 2014
    @Dee Sorry. must be wrong. thought it said it was fixed when I was reading the very first changelog of 1.3.

EDIT: Yeah looked over the first changelog and didn't see where it said it had been fixed. Sorry about that.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited August 2014
    Dee said:

We're pushing out a new update to the Windows and Mac betas; Android will be coming later this afternoon or early tomorrow, depending on how long it takes to upload.

Highlights for this update, 1.3.2053:

@Dee‌ I'm not getting much luck :'D
    There may have been a problem during the build process; we'll take a look tomorrow.
    Mac update is uploading now; you should be seeing reasonable download rates sometime in the next hour or so.
  • griever0483griever0483 Member Posts: 129
    edited August 2014
    Hi @dee i just installed and tested the new version of the Beta.
    Great Work.
    I set the text font at the third level (the first that allow me to read the text of the dialogue window on my 15 inchs laptop), but I noticed that the upper right window of the Record screen and the Journal have very big fonts in this setting.
    This is very different from the original Bg1, the 1.2 patch and the first versions of the 1.3 Beta.

Is possible making something for this?
    P.S. I admit I liked more the original fonts

Thanks in advance, Marco
    The text in the journal screen is the same size; that's going to be the size of that text at that font size setting.