Skip to content

I am shocked...

...to learn that Beamdog is boasting about Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition having cross-platform multiplayer functionality when this feature doesn't work on your existing products. You might be able to get Touch Arcade, etc. to repost this stuff, but people who have already spent money on your products know better. As someone who got burned by buying two copies of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in December 2013, STILL can't play a cross-platform multiplayer game in September 2014 and has received NO support from Beamdog regarding this issue, I believe someone has their priorities mixed up. You're releasing new content when a prominently advertised feature of your existing content doesn't work and hasn't worked for at least nine months. Haven't you learned yet that it's much easier to retain existing customers than it is to acquire new ones?
QuartzbooinyoureyeselminsterErgzupskyajwzLipshennanDarkDoggshawneNarcissistAdulryuken87kamuizindarkkhaineSoren_The_WildPalanthisAristillius

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    :(
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Oh my what a shocking revelation?! You could also say this was a very En-lighting post.
    But with the puns out my system I just find it hard to sympathies with you as the few times I have tried multiplayer went well for me. There was that constant bug of the sprites of the other player characters who always look like they were attacking I didn't experience anything that ruin the experience for me. I found out from looking a threads like these various ones there are a mixture of people who had their whole game ruin by some form of bug and others like myself who have yet to encounter that. Another reason why I lack sympathy for you is because this post comes off as an attack and very unprofessional and as someone who has worked in customer service I know I feel very unmotivated to help someone who acts in that matter. Even though devs are falling behind on their promises and it's taking them a long time to make multiplayer bullet proof you got understand Beamdog is not a huge corporation that has hundreds of empoylee's and vast amount of resources, but their instead a small company with limited resources and thats why it takes forever for them to get things out like patches and what not. So I know that you're upset, but please have a little patience and faith that this problem will eventually get solved.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Wow, an actual criticism of an EE game. I think this might be a first. At least, it's the first I've seen.

But, I don't have any experience trying cross-platform multiplayer. Sounds like the new patch may have got it working, though? Pretty great news.
    GodKaiserHell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @‌goldenguinea

As elminster said have you tried it recently. I went and found the problem you posted in January and this message:

"The multiplayer session has been terminated. The program version numbers for the server and client programs do not match. Server program version: v1.2.2000 Client program version: v1.2.2031."

means the two versions of the game are not on the same patch. As stated, the issue revolves around the Apple App store having to approve of content being updated. Once Apple approves it and the patch is pushed through their store, you'll be able to play cross platform.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Eliminster this Eliminster that give me a few months with out problems with atari and things could have gone better.

Seriously tho, people can't seem to understand that
    1. Overhaul is a small team of people, their trying
    2. Its not Overhauls or anyone who works there's fault that they had issues with atari. Patches and work got delayed, it happens, other companys have had it happen too, not just overhaul
    3. Doing anything cross-platform is not easy it takes time.
    JuliusBorisovGoturalkaguana
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2014

The announcement was two-part, I talked about how we had failed with the launches of the BG:EE and BGII:EE games by launching before we had solved some issues.

That would mean a lot more if you hadn't used the exact same line at last year's PAX before BG2:EE launched.

ErgQuartz
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Ohohoho, that's right! You guys acquired the rights to IWD outright, didn't you? I remember reading that, I think. So, no Bioware or WotC breathing down your neck, eh? That sounds, gah, uniquely liberating.

I doubt WotC is out of the picture. Even if Beamdog owns the code to IWD, WotC has the underlying rights to Icewind Dale (the setting), Forgotten Realms, D&D, etc.. Also, the logos are the bottoms of the icewinddale.com page are Hasbro (owners of WotC), WotC, and Beamdog.

I've gotten the impression, however, that WotC are very supportive of the EEs.
    AndrewFoley
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Actually, it landed on the shark. :p

Its like jumping the shark but goes downhill very quickly. And with more bloody dismemberment. :p
    Fandraxx
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    DreadKhan said:

Actually, it landed on the shark. :p

Its like jumping the shark but goes downhill very quickly. And with more bloody dismemberment. :p

@DreadKhan‌ Along with the dismemberment BOO WILL FINISH THEIR EYEBALLS ONCE AND FOR ALL.
    DreadKhan
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Heindrich said:

Wow, an actual criticism of an EE game. I think this might be a first. At least, it's the first I've seen.

Erm... there's actually an incredibly tolerant attitude to critical comments on this forum, and there are plenty of them around. Of course this is the BG EE forum, so the community can be expected to be generally positive about the games, but there has never been any policy to censor or discourage critical comments unless they cross clearly defined lines like personal attacks and/or trolling.
    I probably should have used the word "legitimate." This is the first grumpy post about EEs I've seen that actually had a good point. I wasn't implying any censorship or drowning out on the forums' part. Like you say, it's pretty tolerant, sometimes too tolerant of people who come in here with a bullet point list of baseless nonsense.
    QuartzGodKaiserHellAristillius
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I agree with the OP. I paid good money for a game which still isn't really finished, and is worse (from what I want out of the game) than the version I was playing five years ago.
    shawneErg
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    If by cross-platform multiplayer you mean a Windows and a Mac, then I'm playing some cross-platform multiplayer with 2 friends since months with no problems at all.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2014
    Heindrich said:

Erm... there's actually an incredibly tolerant attitude to critical comments on this forum, and there are plenty of them around. Of course this is the BG EE forum, so the community can be expected to be generally positive about the games, but there has never been any policy to censor or discourage critical comments unless they cross clearly defined lines like personal attacks and/or trolling.
    From the devs and moderators, surelly. It's rare to see an post closed based on direct criticism.

From the community? You end becoming quickly an persona non grata in the forum. Sorry guys, it's the truth.
    darkkhainebooinyoureyes[Deleted User]
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Gotural said:

If by cross-platform multiplayer you mean a Windows and a Mac, then I'm playing some cross-platform multiplayer with 2 friends since months with no problems at all.

Yeah, me too (played with @Quartz‌ a lot), but actually iPad and Androind weren't included there.
    elminsterGotural