Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced! (Release Date: October 30, 2014)

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited September 2014
    kaguana said:

Ofc it wasn't did you expect something else ??? beside it better that it take them more time then be release when it isn't ready, so waiting it is.

beamdog said it was likely to be released within a month. An empty assessment it would seem they had no real ambition or hope of meeting that timeline.

• RuscoeRuscoe Member Posts: 126
    so when is the release date?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ruscoe said:

so when is the release date?

"Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition has entered beta and will release "when it's ready" to ensure the best experience for players"
    edited September 2014
    kaguana said:

Let me ask you a question, do you want IWD:EE to be release like BG2:EE was release in a hurry ????

I don't want it released in a hurry or anything, I want it done too. I'm more commenting on empty promises. I lived in the Netherlands and they took stuff that you said a lot more seriously there. So it still gets me when people make promises they know they won't be able to keep. If in Holland someone said "yeah I'll call you back" they actually did it lol - imagine that. They take their word as meaning something and not keeping it is something you can expect them to notice. I'd at least expect an update from someone who noticed the milestone has passed and had meant to keep a promise. Like a "well we were way too optimistic, but work is going on and we'll get it out as soon as we can" or something.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited September 2014
    @smeagolheart‌ They didn't promise anything that my point, and I don't take promises lightly.

@Dee , @LiamEsler‌ and Trent said it time and again that it will be release when it ready not before they never gave a certain date, and if you had follow the forum you would have know that! and not stick to the "likely within a month", likely isn't a promise it a possibility.

Also from the site :

Q: When will Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition release?

A: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition has entered beta and will release "when it's ready" to ensure the best experience for players, likely within a month.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Well, the fact that the beta tests have not yet been started (or at least they hadn't three days ago) tells me that the "within a month" scenario was never realistic. Beamdog usually takes 3+ months to beta test a patch (for reference: the last one for BG:EE took 6 months), so it stands to reason that a full game would probably take just as much time, if not more.

I don't expect IWD:EE or BG2:EE v1.3 this year.
    @Adul‌ I see your no optimistic at all that a pity, I on the other hand do hope that at last one of them will be out before the end of the year.
    @kaguana I do hope we get BG2:EE bugfixes or IWD:EE this year, however, there's a difference in what I want to happen, and what I think will happen. The former is mere wishful thinking, while the latter is grounded in my perception of Beamdog based on their past practices.
    @Adul‌ well then we will just have to wait and see don't we ?? life is full of surprises, and 2 months is a long time :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2014
    I still hope both these things will be released in 2014:

The newest tweet:

as an answer to this question:

Taking into account IWD:EE is their priority (as follows from the tweet below), IWD:EE should be finished "late this year too"

And I still take it as a word from Trent that we'll get Christmas presents from Beamdog :)

Well @bengoshi‌ I hope so too
    Trent's estimates so far haven't been successful in predicting release dates, and the BG2:EE patch estimate keeps getting pushed back every month. Although it's nice to see an actual hard estimate, I'll believe it when I see it carried out.
    BGII:EE 1.3 Update is going to be huge.
    And that's really the problem, in my opinion. The multiplayer component of BG2 is riddled with bugs and TBP2 is downright unplayable in MP (just try it - I dare you), while Overhaul Games cram every possible improvement into a single gargantuan patch that takes more than a year to deliver instead of taking care of urgent issues as quickly as possible.

I've been drilling this point in the past, and it does feel strange to bring it up months later pretty much unchanged, but nothing actually changed on this front so all of it is still sadly relevant.
    @Adul‌ I understand you frustration, but one thing change and that BG1 patch was out, I know I know BG2 need it more, and it gonna happen at one point hopefully sooner then later (hard to say but well still).

True true Trent's estimates aren't really successful in releasing date but he is hopeful too I bet that it will happen as he said it will. And yeah what they should and what they are doing is two different thing but as @Dee said they will try to avoid big patch in the future.

So hope and fate that what we got to hold on, hoo and the games too ;)
    kcwise said:

It said likely, it didn't say how likely. There are all sorts of likelies, ranging from quite likely to not very likely. It's a whole spectrum.

This is why companies avoid saying anything at all about release dates. No matter what target they give, it's usually going to be wrong. Unless, of course, they force a half finished game out the door just to meet the date regardless of flaws. I'd rather have a stable game than a buggy game released early. Keep hope alive though, it's only October!

This. I'm saying don't make promises, even half hearted ones, you know you can't keep. I guess they did it to get people to pre-order and stuff so they felt they had to put something there to push out the imminentness of it all. But still...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Damn. I wanted to work on this one. Any jobs at Beamdog I could take? Do you, by any chance, need a studio deity? >:)
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    Will buy it when it becomes available on steam platform
    @dreamtraveler‌ That I think will be only when the final version will be out.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @kaguana‌ then i ll have to be patient currently i am spending my allowance in hearthstone so i dont mind waiting
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @urbanwarlord‌ Welcome, have fun and good luck :)
    @urbanwarlord‌ Welcome, welcome enjoy your staying :)
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    @urbanwarlord Hail and well met! Pull up a chair, grab some grog, and enjoy the show.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

pre-ordered and beta sign up, cant wait to play this game, literally ruined my school life with the original :)

also im new here so want to say a big hello to everyone

"HELLO"

Hey.
  • gwenoxgwenox Member Posts: 18
    Hello, i'm french and i want to know how can i join the beta. I have already pre-order the game. :)
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    gwenox said:

Hello, i'm french and i want to know how can i join the beta. I have already pre-order the game. :)

You needed to fill up the form on icewinddale main page, the beta started and I don't know if they will send it to more people also I am afraid beta testers are the ones that are involded in the community for a certain amount of time already, if you are fresh new here, I think you can apply for iwd2 beta -_-
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Icewind Dale EE was not released within a month

I would probably give it another month. They just sent out the first beta invitations Wednesday. The testers have barely had a chance to even play the whole game. Honestly, did anyone really expect it to come out within a month of release? Beamdog's "soon" is a year. What did you think their month would be? (Not to start a flame war but it is kinda true)