Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced! (Release Date: October 30, 2014)

Comments

• kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @ifupauline‌ I don't think it about the time one involved in the community, it about the system one got on his pc / mac that they wanna test.

@meagloth‌ Ofc I didn't expect for a month of release but I think it a good sign that the beta did started after a month time it does show on a progress that they are making.
  • TeleranTeleran Member Posts: 1
    I've been scanning the forum over the last few days and can see everyone is excited for the upcoming release. But I'm going to try and keep things positive. The fact the guys at Beamdog have already been through the ringer with BG and BG2 should mean that a lot of the "gotchyas" which crop up in Software Development should be anticipated (in theory).

I read an interesting Q&A with Trent Oster over on RPGamer about dev of Icewind EE, might be worth a read as he discusses similarities between this and BG 1 and 2: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html
  • SpeakingBeastSpeakingBeast Member Posts: 1
    Very excited for this - I enjoyed BG:EE, and was hoping you guys would work on IWD:EE - awesome!
  • FRUTZKFRUTZK Member Posts: 18
    Yes indeed! Getting very excited now, not long to go. Finally got internet back and a new TV so I'm all set!!! Already got my whole party sorted, but with new kits I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend at least an hour on party creation haha. I think it's mainly new cleric kits, but we'll see.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    FRUTZK said:

Yes indeed! Getting very excited now, not long to go. Finally got internet back and a new TV so I'm all set!!! Already got my whole party sorted, but with new kits I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend at least an hour on party creation haha. I think it's mainly new cleric kits, but we'll see.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/558608/#Comment_558608
  • adormituladormitul Member Posts: 63
    Well I am excited a little because that might mean that might do a Icewind Dale 2:Enhanced Edition I think the 3rd edition is the second best edition after the 3.5 ones who knows the might even remake Neverwinter Nights 2 since to be honest it was the best Forgotten Realms game I ever played.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I have to admit, my initial enthusiasm is slowly coalescing into apathy. The lack of ANY news after missing the rough 'within a month' estimate is drawing parallels to the BGEE1+2 droughts of info (and I don't really count Twitter updates - this is the official forum, not Twitter).

Come on devs, throw us a bone or two to chew on. You can still keep your secret surprises but give us something.
  • DrakeloreDrakelore Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2014
    adormitul said:

Well I am excited a little because that might mean that might do a Icewind Dale 2:Enhanced Edition I think the 3rd edition is the second best edition after the 3.5 ones who knows the might even remake Neverwinter Nights 2 since to be honest it was the best Forgotten Realms game I ever played.

I would not get my hopes up for IWD2:EE. Below is an interview with Trent Oster.

JS: Without getting too technical, what is the nature of differences between Icewind Dale II and Icewind Dale? Any specific examples of challenges that have to be overcome?
    TO: Icewind Dale II implemented the 3rd Edition rules and has a completely different UI scheme. We're really not sure how deep those changes run. The move to 3rd Edition rules would invalidate all the character classes and require a pretty thorough rework of the entire game to bring in the features from our Infinity Plus Engine. At minimum, nightmares abound.
    source: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html

Unless they create IWD2:EE running 2nd edition rules. That would IMO be better than no IWD2:EE at all.
    @Dee is that even possible ?
    Post edited by Drakelore on
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I've never played IWD 2:EE and probably never will unless it goes 2E in an EE.

Neverwinter Nights brings 3E to CRPGs successfully. It doesn't really work in an infinity engine game.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Adul said:

Neverwinter Nights brings 3E to CRPGs successfully. It doesn't really work in an infinity engine game.

Let's not sidetrack this topic, because I'm sure there are many of us who would love to jump on the chance to refute that statement.
    In my opinion, the feats system and abilities were much better implemented in NWN than in IWD 2. For example, the basic power attack was something in NWN that you could turn on an leave on until you turned it off.

Could you do that in IWD2? How do feats that you can turn "always on" work in IWD2? IIRC not at all.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    bengoshi said:
    I'm taking this to mean IWDEE will be out by the 25th. Wishful thinking, perhaps?