Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited September 2014
    Belanos said:

argent77 said:

If you're ever experiencing more lags or performance degradations while working with scripts, you can try to disable the feature Options->"Interactive script names" in the menu.

What exactly does that option do?
    This option caches all area and creature (script) names of the game. It's mainly used for additional warning or error messages when compiling scripts.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Belanos‌ Your issue sounds very much like what happens when NI runs out of memory. As argent77 suggested, try something that starts NI with more memory.
    Side note: how much memory your machine has or what bitness anything has is quite irrelevant at this stage. By default, Java starts all programs with a fixed amount of memory (the exact amount escapes me at the moment, but it's measured in MiBs, and it's a pretty low amount). Additionally, Java programs are garbage collected, so it's entirely possible to exhaust the available amount of memory if you manage to open enough sufficiently big resources (and in this context, resources are whatever NI allocates, not just the files themselves) in-between GC runs. The syntax highlighting and other bells and whistles would carry a higher overhead than going without, so it'd be entirely unsurprising if turning things off helped alleviate the problem (essentially by making NI run leaner, as it were).
    As Wisp mentioned, features such as syntax highlighting or code folding require additional resources as well. You can individually disable each feature for script files in Options->Text Editor->BCS and BAF.

Btw, I have noticed that you have less memory-related problems if you've installed the 64-bit version of Java on your system (provided you are running a 64-bit OS).
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited September 2014
    Yes I do have the 64 bit version of Java though oddly enough, when I had a look I noticed that there was a Java folder in both of the Program Files folders. So I'm wondering if at some point the updater added a 32 bit version and maybe NI was using that instead. So I uninstalled Java from my system completely and added the 64 bit version back in afterwards.

So I've just run the Hide NI Dos utility, do I need to make any changes to the Config file or are the defaults good enough? Now that I think about it, the lag is what I would expect to occur if the program was running out of memory. I hadn't really considered that with just a simple text file, especially since I have 8 gig of RAM.
    The defaults of Hide NI Dos are fine. NI does a lot in the background when working with scripts (generating cross references to all kinds of resources and more), but your system should handle it unless the game installation contains tens of thousands creature or area resources.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    OK, thanks for your help. You too Wisp.
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    odd problem, when I try to make a copy of one .ITM (in this case DART08.ITM) From BG2:EE, it lets me put the name in, then no matter what I put, even tried a simple "SERE01" it says there was an error when it tried to make the copy, I have no lag, nothing else is wrong really, just bothersome, as I needed to make a copy of DART08.ITM as it has a script i'd like to look at and see if I could use, I wanted to make a copy so I could get a good look at it without worrying i'd mess up one of the best darts in the game, it's the Crimson Dart +3, i'd hate to muck with the original copy, that's just dangerous.....not really sure why it's happening either.....memory is no issue on my computer, btw it's not just DART08, I can't even copy a base potion of healing, any thoughts?
    Do you have the game installed into either "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)"? In this case you should start Near Infinity as administrator to have the proper write privileges in the game folders.
    The quickest way is probably by opening the Windows Explorer as Administrator and start Near Infinity from there.
    edited September 2014
    you'll love this, since I am the only admin on my comp, everything I do is run automatically as an admin, could it be because I have windows 8 64bit?

btw I just discovered that after looking at my permissions and the programs, that not only do I have full permissions but so does the program.

I may have found out why it's doing this too, I opened the debug console in NI, it said that when I opened it for the first time, that it failed to create Utility preferences for the program, I suppose that would be the major hiccup here, and I have no idea how to go about fixing it.
    I can't say much about Windows 8. The previously mentioned folders are specially protected by Windows however. I'm not even sure if you have the proper rights without manually starting Near Infinity in Administrator mode even if you are logged in as Admin. To avoid all the hassle with access privileges and so forth I'd strongly recommend installing the games somewhere outside of these folders.
    ummmm.......I tried right clicking the NI icon and "run as administrator" doesn't even show in the menu, not just grayed out, but gone, just, just gone, oddest thing is I have saved htmls that let me run as admin, what... I mean... hell I've never even heard of this happening......I managed to create a copy by export though, now... I suppose I could take the other file I need, by export......hmmmm this warrants research, I do believe it is occurring as I have windows 8, hmmmm, well, I suppose I could ask a person who was generous if they could help, if they had the time and inclination.....ah well, my creativity is once again stymied by my limitations, thank you for trying to help however @argent77, it is not unappreciated, if you ever need an interesting idea for a mod or something just ask I've got thousands written and never seen by any save myself.
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!!

well this is good, I found a work around, while I cannot copy, I can get copies by way of export, look at their scripts in NI, find what I need, write it down, for later reference, and do everything else I need to do to create the item I wanted to make, it seems only the copy function will not work, everything else functions nominally, and as a result my plans can proceed, now, back to work on this for me............. oh and once again I must thank @argent77, he is afterall the one providing the updates, and the advice out of his(?) own good time, as a result I will have the tools I need to create a Weapon or robes for my mage, who knows maybe i'll WeiDU in some special abilities that unlock the higher your level gets......seriously though i'm uber-noob for not realizing NI could open individual files after export, I soo could've had a V8 *SMACK*
    but enough of my long-winded rambling, ttyl guys an gals, and many blessings to you!
    After doing more tests I have found another possible source for this error. The action "Add copy of" doesn't work correctly if the override folder does not yet exist. I'll fix it in the next snapshot.
    ErgSereverusCrevsDaak
    oh wow, but my override file is in existence too, huh, interesting, but I could send you the error code I get when starting it, it only displays in Debug menu.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Nice job on the new release :) An issue though and this could very well be just me but I am unable to load any dlg files. Nothing happens.
    ErgCrevsDaak
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Balquo said:

An issue though and this could very well be just me but I am unable to load any dlg files. Nothing happens.

I've the same problem.
    What happens exactly when you select a DLG file? Does the Debug Console show anything?
    Nothing happens. You can't even select the dialogues. You can right click on them and get the options but only 'add copy' and 'export' do anything.

Here is what I get from the debug console
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at infinity.resource.dlg.TreeViewer$ItemInfo.createTitledBorder(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.resource.dlg.TreeViewer$ItemInfo.(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.resource.dlg.TreeViewer.(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.resource.dlg.DlgResource.getViewerTab(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.gui.StructViewer.(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.resource.AbstractStruct.makeViewer(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.NearInfinity.setViewable(Unknown Source)
    at infinity.gui.ResourceTree.valueChanged(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTree.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTree$TreeSelectionRedirector.valueChanged(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.notifyPathChange(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPaths(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPath(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JTree.setSelectionPath(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.selectPathForEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.handleSelection(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
    It looks like an issue with a missing or undefined font. What's your operating system?
    Win 8.1 64bit - English.
    I have Windows 7 64bit. Locale is set to Italian, but some stuff like display language and language for non-unicode programs is set to English.
    I've tested it on Windows 7 as well. It might be a compatibility issue with one of the latest Java Runtime packages.

I've uploaded a new release: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141003a

Can you test it and tell me if it solved your problems?
    ErgBalquoAstroBryGuyCrevsDaak
    argent77 said:

I've tested it on Windows 7 as well. It might be a compatibility issue with one of the latest Java Runtime packages.

I've uploaded a new release: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141003a

Can you test it and tell me if it solved your problems?

It works for me, including the new tree view.
    That did the trick! Great job!
    hmmm, my error in debug, is but 2 lines really, should I post it?

Sep 30, 2014 9:45:54 AM 1)java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences
    2) WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
    3)

I dunno if it will help, but here is what I have, oddly it only prevents me from copying, nothng else is blocked so I have the fortune to be able to ignore it.
    @Sereverus‌ From what I could find out, it's either an issue with insufficient write permissions to the registry or a missing registry key.

Let's try the easier option first. Open the registry (by running regedit.exe) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft. There you should find the key "Prefs". If it isn't there, create it by right-clicking on "JavaSoft", selecting New->Key and entering "Prefs" (without the quotes) into the edit field. Then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft and check if you can find "Prefs" there as well. If not, create it.

If NearInfinity still doesn't work correctly afterwards, you might have to change registry key permissions. This is more complicated, so I hope the first option solves your problem. ;)
    @argent77 YUP!!!!!! that fixed it thank you!!!!!! now I can resume my creation of unique weapons for the pc
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Guys, does the dialogues really show up in trees now? This was the sole reason NI wasn't a perfect, but just very good, tool for me!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Cahir said:

Guys, does the dialogues really show up in trees now? This was the sole reason NI wasn't a perfect, but just very good, tool for me!

Yup!