Skip to content

Not a bug but near gamebreaking for wizards:

ArminWArminW Member Posts: 8
Have Orrick sell spell scrolls of level 3 and above!
All other classes can acquire the tools for their trade, so why are wizards prevented from actually using their alloted spell slots at level 5 and beyond? That's just silly and in dire need of fixing.
Post edited by Cerevant on

Comments

• ArminWArminW Member Posts: 8
    Yeah I know that.
    It still makes no sense whatsoever. A warrior is not denied a weapon, a cleric, bard, druid and sorcerer all get their spells, just a wizard levels up for no reason and is unable to function like all the other classes do, just for the heck of it? What was the point of leveling again?
    In a pen&paper campaign I wouldn't let the DM get away with willfully crippling a character by denying the very basic tools of the trade.
    Bad desing, bad balance, bad player motivation, easily remedied.
    I know that, too.
    he does NOT, however, let you buy level 3 spells at Character level 5 or level 4 spells at level 7, when you NEED them. So the Wizard class is the only one that is forced to run around, for quite a while, with newly gained levels that give them abilities they cannot actually USE.
    Is there anything more pointless and frustrating than having earned a new level and being denied the benefits???
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you will find all spells in time. there are more and better scrolls in various shops in iwd:ee than bg2, i think.

if you are a level 9 wizard and orrick only sells scrolls up to level 3 than you are not at a point in the game where you "NEED" level 5 spells.
    *sigh* is it REALLY so bloody hard to understand my point?

When I play the game in a completely straightforward, standard fashion, go along with the story and do the quests I have where I'm supposed to be at the time, my party will, at some point be level 5, and *everyone* in it will be able to do the job of a level 5 character except a wizard. (and, again, later at level 7 or 9).

My cavalier has a +1 bastard sword, a +1 mace, some armor, a magic large shield and all his abilities are available *as they are supposed to*.

The barbarian has Kresselacks 2-h Sword, Armor, everything else needed and *all abilities work*.

The cleric has armor, a +1 shield, +1 warhammer and all spells she's supposed to have (lvl 1-3) can actually be cast.

The archer works...

The swashbuckler has 2 magic weapons, +1 armor, and *all abilities work*.

The mage is effectively a level 4 mage with a few extra hp, because her blasted main ability doesn't work correctly, as, while she should be able to cast two 3rd level spells per rest period, none are available...

Is there any reason why mages are hindered like this and put at a disadvantage? With a sorcerer the party has access to arcane spell levels when they are supposed to.

It's an oversight, a plain design flaw, bad balance, unfair and easily corrected. Why does everyone insist to ignore that?
    it is ancient wisdom that equal things are to be treated equally and unequal things unequally.

every class is it's own thing and comparisons such as the ones that you make are unwarranted.

a sorcerer is a sorcerer a mage is a mage and a cavalier is a cavalier.

in terms of game balance, as i have said and you have neglected, you will find all spells in time. a mage is perfectly playable.

until then, you will have to be patient and survive, that's what the game is about after all - among other things it's about survival.

---
    however, you are on to something - sorcerers are simply better than mages in iwd. much better.
    this is a fact but it isn't a problem - "not everything which we don't like is a problem" is another ancient nugget of wisdom. some things simply are the way they are.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I do agree with the original post.
    I found Orricks supply of spells very limiting. I went for a sorcerer for this very reason.

To add spells from scratch up to a certain level would indeed help, and since you can't use them before you reach the proper level, it's not a game breaker to have them available.
    (And I highly doubt someone will waste scrolls on a single cast, considering the limited availability)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited November 2014
    Sed said:

I found Orricks supply of spells very limiting. I went for a sorcerer for this very reason.

To add spells from scratch up to a certain level would indeed help, and since you can't use them before you reach the proper level, it's not a game breaker to have them available.
    (And I highly doubt someone will waste scrolls on a single cast, considering the limited availability)

A wild mage can abuse the high level scrolls, by writing them to his book and trying to cast them via Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. This can cause game balance issues as iwd is a rather linear game.
    edited November 2014
    Sed said:

you can go to lonelywood and get scrolls in the heart of winter quest.
    Post edited by bob_veng on
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    True, you can do that. But why not just add a few levels to start with and remove the hassle?
    it's not hassle it's adventure :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    someone can mod in easily enough additional scrolls on the scroll seller dude.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    Start with a sorcerer. I gave all found and bought scrolls to my bard, who didn't cast at all with the exception of occasional fire/acid to a troll, and buff spells before battle.
    edited November 2014

Claiming that a player can cast spells of a certain level, but not actually allowing them to do so, is not good game design, it's just silly.

that's an interesting way to phrase it...in order to cast a spell of a certain level, you must have an available memorization slot and the spell memorized. the fact that those two conditions aren't always met at the same time is not 'disallowing things'.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    In the original game I played I don't remember it was too big of a trouble. Now with ee, if you play on insane difficulty the xp doubles up so you can end up with higher levels. Too high lvl a mage for the games intended purposes and structure will cause this trouble with the lack of the appropriate higher lvl spell scrolls. Especially if you start with HoF and make it alive to Kuldahar you will be very high level, way higher than the intended lvl of a single classed mage in normal mode.

One solution may be playing a sorcerer and you can end up casting lvl5 spells when you reach Kuldahar in HoF.

Or a mod that checks your mage lvls and replace scrolls sold by the vendors appropriately might be nice to have, as well.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The OP has a good point. This issue has always been a very frustrating problem in IWD for mages and bards. (It's not EE, though, the game has always had the scroll problem.)

Most of my parties in the past would have a mage and a bard, and both of them would always have empty high level spell slots through most of the game. I agree that it's a basic design oversight in the original implementation of the game. I don't think the original devs intended for mages and bards to have no access to the appropriate spell scrolls at character levels 3, 5, and 9. Rather, I think they didn't do all the math on the experience rate for a six person party playing the game normally at core rules and adjust the availability of scrolls accordingly. If they did it on purpose, then I think it was a bad decision.

This is why in all my parties I've started so far in EE, I've used a sorcerer for my arcane caster, because I was very aware that any mage would be starving for spell scrolls.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    ArminW said:

*sigh* is it REALLY so bloody hard to understand my point?

Disagreeing with your point is not the same as not understanding it.
    ArminW said:

Is there any reason why mages are hindered like this and put at a disadvantage? With a sorcerer the party has access to arcane spell levels when they are supposed to.

They might be hindered but even then that does not necessarily make them disadvantaged. Different classes function differently: your Sorc5 is not casting any power3 spells either, and your Wiz5 gained an additional power1 spell.
    ArminW said:

It's an oversight, a plain design flaw, bad balance, unfair and easily corrected. Why does everyone insist to ignore that?

It is clearly not an oversight. Whether it is a design flaw, bad balance, unfair and/or easily corrected are all debateable.
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    edited November 2014
    While I get the point the OP makes and subtledocter's point as well, I feel this scroll starved place is what IWD should be. I hope I can explain with the following.

Comparing wizards to sorcerers: Wizards are always starving for knowledge and seeking out new ways to perform magic as they should. They invest every bit of their life to understand magic. Compared to this, sorcerers just run around, grow and do amazing stuff. They are not devoting their life to magic, they just use it.

Lorewise: Getting spells in Kuldahar means buying them from the local mage who has no real interest in his surroundings, let alone some wanderers that come pester him at his home. Once he notices you gaining in power he starts to take an interest and slowly starts providing you with more materials to test your mettle.

Having said this, I do agree it is a bit silly that singleclass mages lag behind when it comes to what they can do, but they do make up for it at a later stage. And you can circumvent this by taking a bard or a multiclass mage who are usually right around the right level for the spells this game offers you. Or as others suggested, you can simply go for a sorcerer.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

This was the case in vanilla too, so it is definitely not gamebreaking, considering the many happy people who finished vanilla. Changing this would actually make IWD easier on core rules, which we didn't intend. I don't even want to think about all the flame we would receive should we dare this.

Is it possible to put higher level spell scrolls for people playing below core rules?

Like a shop dialog that only appears when the game is in easy mode? So it is there for the people want it, but out of sight of those who Mau frown upon their inclusion.
    it's not possible to introduce items appearing and dissapearing from the game by sliding the difficulty setting left or right
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The OP makes a very good point. I wouldn't mind it at all if they adjusted this. It does seem to make wizards lag behind a bit, and the only way to fix it would be by cheating in scrolls with the console (I might actually do this for one "average" spell per level when I finally get to play this game).

I do think it is balanced out a bit by how amazing the high-level spells will be in Heart of Winter. Wai lof the Banshee and Meteor Swarm will probably be quite impressive in Heart of Winter's biggest fights. Still, I would like to make wizards a bit better earlier on. Empty spell slots is frustrating.

I feel like the game really pushed people toward multi-classing and dual-classing.