Skip to content

Activity

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2014
    Hey, our Mac has been completely full lately, and today minecraft wouldn't launch and IWD crashed as soon as I tried to change areas. We've been getting "your startup disk is full" for months. I tried to restat it and when it turned back on I got this screen. Does anyone know what it means?
    I does this for a while then turns off. If I turn it back on it repeats the process.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @meagloth‌ you have the startup hard drive full so it won't start up :)

My recommendation is install an Unix-like OS on an external drive (you'll need another computer) and then press the ALT key when the computer is starting up. Delete some stuff (leave at least 1GB free!) from the HD and you should be good. I think installing GNU on a pendrive should be enough :p

@old_jolly2‌ I'll surely take part (if have the time at that right moment...).
    @meagloth‌ alternatively, you could go and buy a new computer (isn't what everyone would do?)... :p
    edited November 2014
    @CrevsDaak‌ yes, I know this now. I ended up at the apple store and was able to show them the pic. The HD was *completely* full. Well probably take it to the apple store to get it going. We've got 150GB of iPhoto that we've been trying to move to an external drive, but it hasn't taken yet. We'll probably also get on of the shiney new iMacs come thanksgiving(Black Friday sale), but we'll see.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    meagloth said:

We've got 150GB of iPhoto that we've been trying to move to an external drive

Photos can be unnecessarily and insanely large these days (with like 16-20mp cameras being common). If you do end up getting a new computer you may want to look into finding a program online (hopefully for free) that can set all these to say 5mp (or whatever amount).

Unless you plan on printing out huge photographs the photos quite possibly really don't have to be as large as they may currently be. Its just a space saver.
    elminster said:

meagloth said:

We've got 150GB of iPhoto that we've been trying to move to an external drive

Photos can be unnecessarily and insanely large these days (with like 16-20mp cameras being common). If you do end up getting a new computer you may want to look into finding a program online (hopefully for free) that can set all these to say 5mp (or whatever amount).

Unless you plan on printing out huge photographs the photos quite possibly really don't have to be as large as they may currently be. Its just a space saver.
    Yes, I suppose. I rather not do that though. I'm quite fond of photography and I would like to keep these of a good quality, or most of them at least. We do occasionally print photos out, or at least use them as wallpapers and screensavers. I do not think I will go that way.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Nimran said:

Nimran, November 2: IWDEE is out!

IWDEE what?;)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Someone should buy an external HDD, here...
    edited November 2014

Someone should buy an external HDD, here...

We have time machine backups on a TB brick. We've tried to move photos to it and store them there but every time we try to copy them we get a pop up saying that it could not be copied because some files where corrupt.
    You should try to move photos in batches: doing this way you'll be able to locate the corrupted files while you move the non corrupted ones.

F.I.: you have 1000 files. You start to move the first 500 ones. If all of them are moved to the HDD, then you'll start to move the remaining part; if an error pops out, then you'll restart moving only the first 250 files.
    Acting like this will take you to a relatively quick exclusion process, depending on the transfer ratio of course, allowing you to locate the corrupted file/s. ;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Or zip all of them in a single file. It has the advantage of being faster to move to external storage than multiple files.
    When I want to store stuff I tarball, gunzip and then zip it. Kinda saves some space (but takes lots of time to decompress).
    so it got taken to the apple store today, I wasn't there and my mom is not particularly tech-literate so I can't tell you exactly what happened, but it's at the store right now and the hipsters in blue t-shirts are trying to move files to a new iMac. :/
    mlnevese said:

Or zip all of them in a single file. It has the advantage of being faster to move to external storage than multiple files.

It depends, as I've seen in my experience a zipped file, even if is a single object, takes different amounts of time to be moved in another location, in a situation where the size of the zip (or whatever other format) is the same but what it contains is one single file or a thousand little files.
    How long have I had that third promote?
    O_o
    I was just able to delete an image thumbnail!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    meagloth said:

How long have I had that third promote?

No problem ;P
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    The river of time always flow it isn't waiting for anyone.
    elminster said:

Guess I did a lot of posting between April and June!

The number of your posts is too damn high, I have to say:)
    It's a necessity. If @elminster‌ does not practice talking all the time he may mispronounce a word while casting a spell and that would be disastrous... :)
    bengoshi said:

elminster said:

Holy crap he broke 9,000. O_o
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    mlnevese said:

It's a necessity. If @elminster‌ does not practice talking all the time he may mispronounce a word while casting a spell and that would be disastrous... :)

Like forum crashing level of disastrous!
    All hail our new.... whatever species @meagloth is, seriously, this place is worst than the Galactic Senate sometimes... Overlord...
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    meagloth said:

bengoshi said:

elminster said:

Holy crap he broke 9,000. O_o