Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I just had a quick question. Can you use EEKeeper to remove weapon restrictions on certain classes, or would I have to find a mod for that? For example, monks can't use quarterstaves. I can give him the proficiency points, but I still can't make him able to equip the weapon.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Nonnahswriter, only a mod can do that, or you can manually edit the files yourself with either DLTCEP or NearInfinity. In the latter case, you will need to edit WEAPPROF.2DA and add a 1 where the QUARTERSTAFF row and the MONK column intersect. Then you'll need to edit any staves and set the Unusable flag for which you want to allow a monk to use.
    SjerrieNonnahswriterjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @Troodon80‌
    I had some issues when trying to edit exported characters in iwdee ipad.
    First of all, i couldn't edit a path, I had to move the characters file to the characters folder under documents\icewind dale enhamced edition. There's no options for looking for a different path.

Then I tried editing some of them, and I renamed them.
    When I was moving them back to the iPad, I noticed that I only had 1 file (instead of three) with the new name, for every renamed char.
    When I tried to create a new party in IWDEE, the moment I clicked on "create" the game crashed.
    I tried many times, and it was crashing everytime (I never had the chance to click on import, because the game was already crashed).
    I tried many things, but I can't remember what I tried (maybe I even tried to not rename them, but I'm not sure).
    When I deleted from the Ipad all the characters in the characters folder, the game worked again.

Editing a savegame worked like a charme,
    @Pibaro, I think my only suggestion for editing characters in a custom location outside the normal Documents directory would be to recreate the basic folder structure for characters.

So, in the example I gave for the instruction text box: C:\mybgsaves\

It would probably be best to create a \save\ folder and a \characters\ folder inside 'mybgsaves', and then direct Keeper to use C:\mybgsaves\ as the main save data folder (without checking the Use Custom Save Location box). This is how I do it for Android. The 'Use Custom Save Location' option is only for save games.

No idea about the crashing, though. I'd need a step-through of what you did. Example: copy one character to the characters folder on Windows, edit it, then copy it back, start the game and if it crashes. This way I can at least determine if it's something Keeper is doing. :-)
    PibaroJuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited November 2014
    Troodon80 said:

@Nonnahswriter, only a mod can do that, or you can manually edit the files yourself with either DLTCEP or NearInfinity. In the latter case, you will need to edit WEAPPROF.2DA and add a 1 where the QUARTERSTAFF row and the MONK column intersect. Then you'll need to edit any staves and set the Unusable flag for which you want to allow a monk to use.

AFAIK, a mod can't make monks able to use staves. There is no staff animation for monks. if you make staves usable by monks, it will crash the game.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/239350/#Comment_239350
    SjerrieNonnahswriterjackjackJuliusBorisov
    @AstroBryGuy, I haven't seen any crash yet, but as you stated there are no proper attack animations for monks. As such, they operate independently of their staff.
    CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisov
    Good to know. I thought it crashed the game like creating a 1-handed crossbow would.
    CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234

Troodon80 said:

AFAIK, a mod can't make monks able to use staves. There is no staff animation for monks. if you make staves usable by monks, it will crash the game.

This could be solved by changing the monk's paperdoll to that of another class.
    CrevsDaak
    Sjerrie said:

Troodon80 said:

This could be solved by changing the monk's paperdoll to that of another class.
    True, but then you'd miss out on the Monk specific animations like high kicks.
    SjerrieCrevsDaakjackjack
  • marcosmarcos Member Posts: 70
    I downloaded v.1.0.2.6. I can't get it to open.

And then I get the following message from Norton: "SONAR has removed security risk eekeeper.exe. Your computer is now secure."

Looking into Norton, it classifies eekeeper as "high risk."

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution or work-around?

Thanks for your hard work!
    @marcos, does it tell you why it removed it? Someone else reported an issue with Norton a couple days ago. Unfortunately, I cannot create a fix or workaround without knowing why it is treating it as a security risk.
    Norton says:

Suspicious behavior detected: eekeeper.exe

Threat name: SONAR.heuristic.120

Details: Very Few Users, Very New, Risk High

Origin: Not Available

Activity: Actions Performed, 29

____

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
    marcos said:

Activity: Actions Performed, 29

@marcos, if these are the actions that Keeper did, then I need to know what they were. :-)

Troodon80 said:

Ah, I see. Does this also apply to ranger/clerics and bows? Or would it be all right, since the ranger paper-doll has bow animations?
    jackjack
    Does this help?
    There are also some registry actions and system settings actions. Screenshots of those too?

marcos said:

There are also some registry actions and system settings actions. Screenshots of those too?

@marcos, yes, please. :-)

I can only assume the keystroke capture is the MFC part -- that's when entering your game path, it does a sort of on-key-press-do-this-thing, in which it scans for your available languages (and populates the list of languages you can pick from).

I may need to find a better way to do that in the future.

Troodon80 said:

Ah, I see. Does this also apply to ranger/clerics and bows? Or would it be all right, since the ranger paper-doll has bow animations?
    Cleric/Ranger using bows should be fine as far as animations go, but you will need to use NI or DLTCEP to edit WEAPPROF.2DA and as well as the bows and arrows for usability flags.
    Alrightie, sounds good to me. Thank you! :)
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    The systems settings actions:

Pretty much the same actions for PID 8660, 9256, 7448, 4212, 8614, 9628, 8204
    I can do multiple screenshots of the system settings actions to catch all of them if you'd like.
    @marcos, after doing some reading about user problems with Norton, specifically what Norton classifies as SONAR.Heuristic.120—the only suggestion I can offer is that you set an exception for EE Keeper. Norton doesn't seem to have any defining attributes for SONAR.Heuristic.120 (e.g. registry scanning, keylogging, etc.), but I can tell you that heuristic detection is not infallible as it uses some guesswork as to what a process is trying to do. If a certain piece of software has no history, then it is more likely to be picked up if it looks even remotely suspicious.

I'll look into what I can do to limit to what Norton classifies as suspicious behaviour, but if you have any method of doing so I would also urge you to submit EE Keeper to Norton. They have a process of whitelising software that would otherwise be seen as suspicious, but it relies on the software having a safe history.

Aside from setting an exception for EE Keeper, your only other option until I can work out a solution is to not use it.

I'll investigate, though, and see if there's something I can do. That is, short of purchasing a code signing certificate since this is free software. Unless someone wants to stump up the money for that (Comodo starts at at €166.95/year, VeriSign/Symantec starts at $499.00 for one year). :-)

What you can do is try an earlier version of Keeper and see if this is just a recent thing (possibly brought on by the INI config file or the language DLLs). If it is a recent thing, then I'll compile a minimalistic version to try and avoid Norton's detection.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Can't you simply disable Norton? Or has it evolved up to the point that is has taken complete power over your computer?
    I think it is a recent thing--I was running an earlier version and it worked fine. And then I downloaded the most recent version so I could use it on IWD, deleting the earlier version.

I'll grant EE Keeper and exception and submit it to Norton too.

Thanks again for all your work!

Troodon80
  • Lord_KaneLord_Kane Member Posts: 1
    I want to just add that the EE Keeper does work with the GOG edition of BGEE, I have not tested it with the GOG editions of BG2EE or IWDEE yet.
    jackjackTroodon80
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @marcos you can also report this as a false positive to Symantec. They're usually quick to fix those.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovTroodon80CrevsDaak
    Lord_Kane said:

I want to just add that the EE Keeper does work with the GOG edition of BGEE, I have not tested it with the GOG editions of BG2EE or IWDEE yet.

I've tried with the GOG version of Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition on Linux using Keeper with Wine—it seems to work, though there is one minor hiccup when saving—it ignores whatever name the user put on the file and instead uses a default name. Due the aforementioned limitation, I made certain to actually give files a default name (otherwise it wouldn't save).

I'll probably be putting more effort into the Qt version now that there are more platforms being supported by Beamdog. I just need to find the time.
    jackjackCrevsDaakAstroBryGuy