Skip to content

Man, Half-Orc Barbarians sure have it easier in the beginning.

"Oh hey, a locked drawer in Winthrop's Inn... hmmm"

*tries to break lock.... fails*

"....STUPID LOCK!"

*uses rage and tries again... succeeds*

"Haaaaa.... oh sweet, a star sapphire!"

*sells sapphire for 1,000 gold*

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I had a half-orc barbarian once. I can't remember if I did that or not though...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

"....STUPID LOCK!"

You don't need to be a half-orc in order to open that lock with rage - I think your str can be as low as 16 and the +4 bonus will still enable you to open that lock.

Either way, it's just another reason that barbarians are better than berserkers. ;-)

Ironically, I feel that getting 1,000 gold so early actually makes the game too easy from thereon in, so now I deliberately avoid finding it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Half orc Berserker is pretty hilarious at lvl 1 raged. What, 30 hp?? Hits like a wrecking ball.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

"....STUPID LOCK!"

You don't need to be a half-orc in order to open that lock with rage - I think your str can be as low as 16 and the +4 bonus will still enable you to open that lock.

Either way, it's just another reason that barbarians are better than berserkers. ;-)

Ironically, I feel that getting 1,000 gold so early actually makes the game too easy from thereon in, so now I deliberately avoid finding it.
    negatory, you need 65% in open locks or higher to get that gem, I believe 22 str is the lowest it can be to open that chest, str has a bash % rating which equals the open lock skill

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

"....STUPID LOCK!"

Seriously? It pains me to make a starting character that DOESN'T have 65% or so Lockpicking (the gem is nice, but missing the experience you get now for locks/traps is actually the dumb reason why it pains me).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    sarevok57 said:

"....STUPID LOCK!"

negatory, you need 65% in open locks or higher to get that gem, I believe 22 str is the lowest it can be to open that chest, str has a bash % rating which equals the open lock skill

You can get it with the equivalent of 60 (21 strength). It just will take a few tries.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Hulk Smash.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Tresset said:

Looks like you forgot to tell the nobles to take of their jewelry first. If you do that there is even more expensive loot in the chest! (18 charisma required)

Seriously?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Klorox said:

Tresset said:

Looks like you forgot to tell the nobles to take of their jewelry first. If you do that there is even more expensive loot in the chest! (18 charisma required)

Seriously?
    Yeah. If you have 18 cha and tell them they should take off their expensive stuff that the chest has a necklace and another gem or something.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    What you actually do in the dialog is convince them that they are offending the monks with their showy ostentation. They'll then decide on their own to stash the jewelry - in the same strongbox with the sapphire.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited December 2014
    Barbarians are better than berserkers in BG1. If you are a level 1 berserker and you use enrage, when it wears off you die. I learned this the hard way.

Or was this patched?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    That was what would happen in vanilla. AFAIK now it just inflicts nonlethal damage and knocks you out if you're too low (like being attacked with fists)