Skip to content

Misheard quotes!

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
This discussion was created from comments split from: Small things amuse small minds.

Because I thought it deserved its own thread! Post what you used to think the characters in BG were saying.
CrevsDaakNonnahswriterStarflower2525JuliusBorisovlolien[Deleted User]OlvynChuruProont[Deleted User]

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

When I was much younger, I didn't use subtitles in Baldur's Gate (and at that time I hadn't been playing the game for so long), so I misheard a lot of quotes.

Ogrillion: Time for some cod!

Is that not what they say?

I did(do) the same thing. For years I had no idea what Winthrop was saying. Something about an arse....
    One other thing was the first thing mind says to you when you meet him. At this point I think it's "stand and deliver, so that my hamster might have a better look at you!", though I never knew what that first part was. It still sounds like "stand and diddywalk, so.."
    That and spell incantations. That's another story though.
    lolienProont
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    kiwidoc said:

I was always sure Jaheira kept saying "I'm goin' out to buy a new hat" whenever she cast a spell. And yes, that was a small thing that amused my small mind!

Always figured her for a laurel gal... she'd look peculiar in a hat!
    CrevsDaakJenzafarlolienProont
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    DreadKhan said:

kiwidoc said:

I was always sure Jaheira kept saying "I'm goin' out to buy a new hat" whenever she cast a spell. And yes, that was a small thing that amused my small mind!

Always figured her for a laurel gal... she'd look peculiar in a hat!
    I think Jaheira would probably look good in anything
    TethorilofLathanderlolienSmilingSwordThacoBell
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

commoner:

Wahlberg. Mark Wahlberg

Isn't that one of the background ambient sounds in BG2 city areas? I still don't know what most of those are saying, but I thought that one was "Walnuts! Hot walnuts!" as if there was a hawker selling some nuts somewhere.
    lolienBrer_RabbitProont[Deleted User]
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    abacus said:

Dwarf: By Merlin's Hammer!

lol that's not what they say?

abacuslolienAHF[Deleted User]
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    DreadKhan said:

Easy as Goblin Pie... which sounds pretty daunting unless you're @Kamigoroshi‌ !

That said, I've heard Rat N' Pecan Pie is actually delicious. Gath the Half Ogre though is not always a reliable source for culinary reviews...

I always though it was "easy as gobblin(g) pie"
    lolienProont
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

DreadKhan said:

Easy as Goblin Pie... which sounds pretty daunting unless you're @Kamigoroshi‌ !

That said, I've heard Rat N' Pecan Pie is actually delicious. Gath the Half Ogre though is not always a reliable source for culinary reviews...

...it is. :p the irony is that both sre pronounced the same, so its not truly misheard. Just easy to misinterpret after meeting Weenog!
    lolien
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121

commoner:

Wahlberg. Mark Wahlberg

That's hilarious. I'll be hearing that from now on, I'm sure.
    smeagolheartlolienCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

DreadKhan said:

That quote wasn't too hard for me to figure out since there is a dwarf NPC in the docks in IWD2 who says the same exact quote (I believe his name was Jorun Tamewater but I may have remembered it wrong).
    Nimranlolien

And now for the comprehensive list of original BG1 spell incantation subtitles!

(note: if you haven't played the non-enhanced BG1, these will seem unfamiliar to you)

First, the male incantations:

Abjuration: Ya ya popcorna da ni DOODOOOOLO...

Alteration: Mitmo knocked an avu...

Conjuration: Ca migna, lo daaaaarah...

Divination: Avenge me, NaavaataaKAAYAA...

Enchantment: Come, chimera...

Evocation: Boca migna, lo daaaaarah...

Illusion: Pa, no is okay to take part in it...

Necromancy: He therefore va he he ta ta...

Now for the female incantations:

Abjuration: Og why Mahat SEEN A DAY...

Alteration: Forgot to owe, ondukay...

Conjuration: Aye, I'm a bard ukay...

Divination: Aye, Mike a two-ton say naaaah...

Enchantment: Okay tie sayawa...

Evocation: Why no see, why no see Madae...

Illusion: Kah tongue kah tomb may...

Necromancy: Og why Mahatma Day...

So if you've ever wondered what they were always saying, now you know.

i recently looked up the baldur's gate quotes on wikiquote
    to my surprise right at the bottom with the spell incantations(and their translations) i found a new spell that i'd never heard before. some legend had made their own incantation out of naughty words ( i can't remember it exactly and unfortunately it has since been removed) i found this hilarious and immediately emailed my brother with the link. sadly i didn't write it down and it has been deleted.
    in any case here is the link in case anyone wonders

if this was anyone on the forum, thanks for making me chuckle
    lolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    wubble said:

( i can't remember it exactly and unfortunately it has since been removed) i found this hilarious and immediately emailed my brother with the link. sadly i didn't write it down and it has been deleted.

They are actually there, at the bottom of the page and since it isn't a very long article, it's easy to miss. Link.
    JuliusBorisov
    @CrevsDaak‌ no the one that i'm talking about was added by someone else and was an incantation roughly about the male genetalia and what they'd do with it. obviously someone spotted it and had it deleted
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    kiwidoc said:

Oh yes, the original casting gibberish. I always thought it sounded like "argyle nuthatch."
    meagloth
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I keep hearing Cespenar say something about a "wreaking ball"...
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]lolienProont