Skip to content

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Comments

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    It's definitely on my wish list. I like the video reviews that I have seen on youtube
    Still wont get a round to it for at least a year or two.
    LazarusNine
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Has anyone played it yet? What are your impressions?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2014

Has anyone played it yet? What are your impressions?

I was just about to make such a post. Give me a while, I want to fit as much as I can. I can safely say right now that it is better than DA2
    the_spyderAristillius
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I wish I could say, but apparently because I have a dual-core I can't play. However, from what I understand, some quad-core players can't seem to even get on to play DA: I on the PC because of a Black Load Screen of Doom/Death right before the main menu. And some Xbox players are starting to have the same Black Load Screen problem.

I've seen pictures of the graphics on last gen consoles, they're horrid. I've heard that controls on PCs are god awful, and really only work well if you're using a controller.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm waiting to hear from more people as well. The thing I find most worrisome is the PC controls. It keeps coming up again and again in consumer reviews I've seen so far that you have to use WASD to move the camera, there is very limited key rebinding, you can't use programmable mouse buttons, you have to press tab to target enemies by cycling through them (no click to target or interact), and you have to keep the left mouse button pressed to autoattack.

It sounds like a nightmare to control on the PC, so if I don't hear that all of the above info about the interface is wrong, I don't think I'll be buying this - especially since I prefer to control my games with my programmable trackball mouse and little or no keyboard use.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I found this thread at Bioware on the isuue of the PC controls. Now I *know* I'm not buying this game. The game itself may or may not be good, but the interface for PC sounds like my worst nightmare.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/520902-the-controls-for-this-game-on-the-pc-need-attention/page-1
    JuliusBorisov
    I tried to get this to work my mom's laptop, but it freezes on the load screen after picking what race/class/custom world state I want to import. Its not good, at the moment.

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    has anyone got anything to say about the character creation ? whether its good or bad and how it works?

I found this thread at Bioware on the isuue of the PC controls. Now I *know* I'm not buying this game. The game itself may or may not be good, but the interface for PC sounds like my worst nightmare.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/520902-the-controls-for-this-game-on-the-pc-need-attention/page-1

well so far I am playing it like a PC version of DAO but without using the tactical camera. i agree the tactical camera is horrible as they didn't truly design it for PC, and I will only use it is I need to give a move command to get squishies away or rogues at an enemy's flank. however, it doesn't feel that bad after I did adjustments to be more like DAO.
    element said:

has anyone got anything to say about the character creation ? whether its good or bad and how it works?

it took some getting used to. rather than sliders or something like Sims 4's dragging morphs, they have a square that you move a point around, sort of like the triangle in MMOs to set your physical build. after getting used to it I didn't find it too bad, but I am still not entirely satisfied with my character. however, I never am. only time I was satisfied was Mass Effect, where I could look almost identical to myself. pretty much I just put a helmet on and I am happy :)
    NonnahswriterelementAristillius
    thx @ChildofBhaal599 much appreciated.

can you be a dalish?
    The elf race is exclusively dalish.

After playing for a couple of hours, I actually enjoyed myself. :)
    ChildofBhaal599elementNonnahswriter
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I haven’t played the game long enough to review it, but I did want to comment on the PC controls, as I was getting worried about those myself with so many negative comments having been posted about them. Though not optimal, I have been surprised to find them not nearly as bad as I had been reading. You can’t map the mouse to keys but everything else I have tried to remap has worked well for me. The tactical camera would benefit from being able to pull it back farther then you can and I don’t personally like the direction they went with the loot search, but remapping that helped me a bit as well.

I personally find the world truly gorgeous and the characters interesting, so far. I can’t comment on the story as I’ve been to busy exploring to find out much about it. :) You can wander around getting lost and forget what you originally set out to do. At least that is how it has worked for me so far.

I also wanted to let @element know that you can, or rather are dalish if you choose to be an elf.
    elementJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2014
    element said:

thx @ChildofBhaal599 much appreciated.

can you be a dalish?

as sapphire said, yes, the elves are exclusively dalish, humans are exclusively noble, and I don't know about dwarves and quanari.
    element
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Dwarves are exclusively casteless.
    thank you @ChildofBhaal599 @Ravenslight @SapphireIce101

my favourite part of the setting was the Dalish so that's reassuring to hear.
    im actualy looking forward to giving this game a go now
    Ravenslight
    after 3 days of playing I've finally both gotten to skyhold and completed everything (except the dragon) in the hinterlands. this is going to be a long game. i think most players will reach skyhold around 15-20 hours through, though it could vary depending on how you play. honestly, I grew kind of attached to haven before leaving it, so it feels weird leaving it for a different home, but I am sure skyhold will grow on me with all it's customization.

at this point I can tell they were very serious on customization, as I've run into all sorts of different looking armors and weapons. when you find a special weapon or armor, it's look screams unique, not just it's stats and name.

that said, I am still searching for new armor for my rogue that I actually like the look of. i like metal armors, but most of them are jackets and stuff. i plan to check the Val Royaeux markets for schematics and maybe find something I can craft that I like. otherwise I can eventually unlock some rare schematics through an inquisition perk. i did, however, need to change Cassandra up, as much as I didn't want to remove her own Inquisition armor. she is now wearing warden armor because as my tank she needs the armor more, though it doesn't feel right to me putting her in the warden armor just because I know she is not a warden. still, it does look nice. would've given it to Blackwall, but I think we all have that party we stick to in Bioware games that we don't switch from unless we must for a mission, and mine is Cassandra, Varric, and Solas, the starting party. I'll probably move it to Blackwall when she moves on just for the sake of having the warden in warden armor.

I must say too that this is the first DA where I really enjoy sword and board fighting. I actually play about 50/50 between Cassandra and my rogue in combat, although part of that has to do with her being a tank and me a squishy rogue so she just survives :) it feels great using the charging bull ability though. Just make sure you disable it in the AI tactics, as they tend to charge the wrong way. I've also learned it is great for bashing through barricaded doors to save people from burning houses! The best part, however, is that it builds guard, and that is what tanks are all about. Guard is temporary health that is taken away before permanent health.

The most important thing for mages is barrier. Just like BG it is better to prevent the loss of permanent health before it happens, and that is what barrier and guard are there fore. Overall, however, I find mages quite boring more than ever. Maybe I just haven't found that great spell that is fun to use yet.

I enjoy rogues equally, if not a bit less than, tanking. While I haven't given two handed warrior a shot, I have a dual wield main and Varric to speak for both rogue types. Archery is decent, and a bit more fun than mages for me due to the positioning. There is an ability that increases damage if you are above the enemy and another that does loads of damage at a distance. The more fun option is dual wield though, which is also about positioning because you want to get behind the enemy. Always try to get behind then use twin strikes. It is great, especially if a mage freezes the target. Overall they also do loads of the damage.

I am still enjoying the game, although sometimes it gets on my nerves. That is most due to the tactical cam. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I just must trust in the AI to do their own thing because they are so hard to all control at the same time. That either ends good or bad. Also, I ran into a lot of trouble with healing flasks on a main quest due to a bit of backtracking, leaving me with not enough healing to go around and I had to resort to cheesy tactics like running away so dead bodies teleport to me for revival. It is an unfortunate side effect to removing healing.

Question to u all: when do we capture keeps/where can I find one? I want to make an attempt soon to unlock some perks. There were none in the hinterlands, and I would like to go to one next.

Sorry for any typos caused by auto-correct
    elminsterRavenslightAristilliusJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Grrrrr. ...

You're making me want to buy it @ChildofBhaal599‌

Here is a question. How much of he first two games get carried over?

Is it better playing the first two to completion before picking up Inquisition or does it not matter?
    edited November 2014
    Well, some of the characters do acknowledge some of the events that happened in the previous games such as...

Leliana actually acknowledges the fact the Warden did kill her in DA: O.
    Varric mentioning what happened to Hawke's companions at the end of DA2, if they're alive.

So, its a good idea to play the first two games, and put your choices and stuff into the Dragon Age Keep thing.

I will warn you though, there are a couple of bugs. Sometimes the world state doesn't import properly, the male inquisitior is recognized as a female, The Inquisitor's voice can change if you decide to customize
    Hawke.
    Oh, and there's that black screen of doom/death/despair thing that is hindering people on all platforms.

My advice? If you're planning on getting DA: I wait until the first patch.
    deltago said:

Grrrrr. ...

You're making me want to buy it @ChildofBhaal599‌

Here is a question. How much of he first two games get carried over?

Is it better playing the first two to completion before picking up Inquisition or does it not matter?

so far it seems most beneficial to play Origins, both because many fans do not like DA2 (myself included) and because I am seeing so many people and references to DAO rather than 2 so far. Varric and Cassandra are from DA2, as well as
    hawke
    but other than that I haven't met too many faces from it. It could be worth at least a playthrough despite all the repitition, but I mostly recommend Origins just out of it being a great game and all the references.

anyway, the reason I logged on in the middle of playing was to share this funny shield I found:

it is called the wedge of destiny :)

for those who want to find it:

I'll admit, they are doing good at rewarding exploration
    If I get it, it will be on xbox360 so it may just find my saves and bring the info over.

I wanted to play through both games and the expansions again before committing to buying Inquisition. I dont even remember Cassandra from DA2 so I do need a refresher on that game. If Origins is being referenced all the time, then yes, i'm probably going to wait and finish it again.

I think I need to stop reading these threads and just power through origins with my Dalish elf and get Hawke sleeping with his entire party quickly.
    I don't think there is a save import function. I think you actually have to use the keep if you want to keep on with your "canon", but the good thing is, you get 9 world states with keep. Otherwise you're stuck with Bioware's canon of Female Dalish does ultimate sacrifice, and Mage Hawke Sides with Mages.

As for 360, you'll may run into the Black Screen of Doom because that's being reported there. If you're a fan of nice graphics, then get disappointed because the graphics on 360 are atrocious. Here's a thread of some of the issues with PS3 and 360.
    http://forum.bioware.com/topic/522013-old-gen-ps3-and-xbox360-master-thread-bioware-please-fix-these-issues/

I don't like beating down this game. Don't get me wrong, if you can play it, it's really nice in some parts, but in others it isn't really that good at all. However, there are a lot of issues that need to get fixed. The black screen of doom is one of them because all platforms seem to be getting this one.

So, when comes down to it, was Bioware ready to release Dragon Age: Inquisition? It all depends on your platform, PS4, and Xbone? Yes. PC and last gen consoles? No.
    ChildofBhaal599
    deltago said:

If I get it, it will be on xbox360 so it may just find my saves and bring the info over.

I wanted to play through both games and the expansions again before committing to buying Inquisition. I dont even remember Cassandra from DA2 so I do need a refresher on that game. If Origins is being referenced all the time, then yes, i'm probably going to wait and finish it again.

I think I need to stop reading these threads and just power through origins with my Dalish elf and get Hawke sleeping with his entire party quickly.

sapphire is correct. the only method of import is the keep, even if you play it on last gen or PC. and from what I understand and what sapphire also just stated there are problems with last gen. i am not sure on this black screen of doom though. if it is on pc, i haven't had one with over 30 hours of play so it may be an issue with certain hardware.

anyway, if you get it I recommend you get it for PC or next gen. i don't have any problem with my PC copy, except that some things obviously could've used some adjusting in the port, such as the tactical camera that was obviously made with consoles in mind (remember the days only PC had tactical cam and it was good? good times...)
    @ChildofBhaal599‌ - You're one of the lucky ones. While, I'm lucky my mom's laptop can run DA: I though, not as well as I would like it to. The PC version definitely needs more optimization than it got.

There are some people getting black screen of doom on all platforms. Here's a thread of many people having the black screen of doom.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/inquisition-blackscreen-after-messi-loading-screen/td-p/3983595
    My PC won't run it and graphics aren't an issue for me.

Id rather spend just 80 bucks then 480 to play one game. I still think I'll playthrough the first two and wait for a sale.

Its amusing that my first play through was a female dalish getting the final blow in, so the canon may not be that far off for me in one instance.

The keep though, how through is it? Am I still stuck with cookie cut story lines or if I do things uniquely will those carry over?
    it allows you to make just about every choice that could possibly mean anything, and that is certainly to set a log in origins and very little in DA2. it is funny how little content was in DA2 than in Origins on the keep. in fact you remember that dwarf that wants to study magic? if you help her do that in origins she is your enchanter at skyhold. it was a nice little touch for something that didn't seem like it would ever matter.
    element
    Then I am definitely going to play through it before purchasing. It just feels like a chore at the moment.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I saw this reviewed on Good Game, makes me want to play it so bad!
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Just started playing, Im going human mage and Im having a blast so far. Be advised that I found Mass Effect 3 to be a good game (mainly due to story, didnt think the ending was great though). Clunky controls on PC, but Im getting the hang of them slowly buy surely.