Skip to content

Your favourite BG2 romance including the new enhanced edition characters?

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    At the moment Jaheira is my number one pick. Reasons:

1. She's as blunt and sometimes as unpleasant as me.
    2. I've never finished Aerie's romance, so I can't say anything about hers.
    3. I don't have a Drow Fetish.
    4. I don't really feel comfortable of romancing a guy, even while roleplaying female character, thought I understand and appreciate the guy much more than vast majority of people here.
    5. I haven't even bought BG2:EE for a particular reason yet, so forgive me, Rasaad, Neera and Dorn. Also, Hex-something.
    JuliusBorisovkillerrabbit
  • SardorimSardorim Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    I like Neera's romance, though a shame there's no carry over, but her and the other new characters currently suffer from lack of mods to expand them a bit more in BG2:EE. BG1:EE had a Neera Mod, I believe, because I remember using one that gave her more dialogue.

Hopefully that'll be fixed with time.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Sardorim said:

I like Neera's romance, though a shame there's no carry over, but her and the other new characters currently suffer from lack of mods to expand them a bit more in BG2:EE. BG1:EE had a Neera Mod, I believe, because I remember using one that gave her more dialogue.

Hopefully that'll be fixed with time.

I think the. 1.3 patch will carry over romance variables, @Sardorim‌.
    jackjack
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @meagloth I'm a-workin' on it - it's looking like players might need to re-load their BG:EE save before importing it into BGII:EE in order for it to be effective due to some fun with the way saves and variables work. It's a fun one. ;)
    meaglothjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • SardorimSardorim Member Posts: 4
    Hmm.. Is it for SoA -> ToB or BG1 -> BG2? Haven't gotten to ToB yet, too much to do in SoA.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    BG:EE -> BGII:EE; BGII:EE -> BGII:ToB works fine. :)
    jackjack
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I have grown to love the Aerie-Jaheira-Viconia triangle over the years. I wish there were some three way banter between them.
    ChildofBhaal599
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I guess Noober is out of the question, then?
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Fantastic! This is where Anomen beats Dorn.

I must admit I am pleased with the progress this ill conceived thread has made, I did not think such a thing was possible.
    Skarose
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Jaheira all the way. She just seems the most human of the lot, even if her romance takes forever and a half (I mean, her husband just died, the extra time is probably healthy). Rasaad and Dorn are also quite good, because Rasaad is adorkable and Dorn is remarkably... Dorn, which has gotta be hard to write in a relationship. Haven't finished Neera's romance, nor started Hexxat's, so I can't really comment on them, but I'm enjoying Neera's so far. All in all, I like the EE relationships more than the base game's, but Jaheira is just such an outlier that she wins out anyway.
    NonnahswriterT2av
  • squidddsquiddd Member Posts: 7
    15 years ago, when I first played BG2, I was a kid, and my favorite is of course Aerie.
    15 years passed, I am married, and my daughter is 3 years old.
    I have played probably 100 times of Bg2/TOB.
    And my favorite is still Aerie.
    Seriously, If I take some other girl to the adventure and leave Aerie in the circus,
    I feel like cheating.
    NihilusEmpyrial
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Neera a dwarfs only hope
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I'm surprised Jaheira was so popular; I've heard quite a lot of people complaining about her over the years. She's one of my favorite romancable characters, even outside BG. She's wise, intelligent and a very strong woman.

I especially liked the fact she wouldn't just get all pissy when you disagreed with her. It's rare to find a romancable character in games who won't break things off just because you don't always see things the same ways.
    meagloth said:

I did neera in bg1,

Whoa, what happened between you and Neera is no one's business but yours.
    Jarrakul
    Many romancable characters in games demand that you agree with them. Jaheira has some of that, but more often she demands that you be wise. That's pretty cool.
    ChildofBhaal599
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Viconia -- stories about the drow and a redemption arc. Followed by Neera romance and the Sarevok redemption story. More redemption plz.

The Jaheria romance was well written but also disturbing -- she and the protagonist are in a committed relationship two weeks after finding her husband's body? Creepy.
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    Aerie was always my favorite. I haven't had a chance to do the EE romances, but of the vanilla romances I liked Aerie best.

Viconia's is really interesting; she is a great character with excellent growth. My biggest hang-up with her is that she's evil, and I never was good at roleplaying attraction to an evil woman.

Jaheira is my least favorite of the three; she seemed to get over Khalid too fast, and I felt like I was spitting on his grave by making moves on Jaheira.

Aerie was annoying at first, but she grows a ton. And you get a kid.

Never played a female charname, so can't say on Anomen. But I hate him as a regular NPC anyways, so I can't see enjoying that story.
    Elrandir
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I haven't road-tested them all (must be getting slow in my old age), but for obvious reasons I prefer the more 'mature' or 'difficult' relationships (ones that you need to work at) so after Vicky my next choice would be Jaheira.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    For me it's Viconia's. I liked the way she slowly opened up to you, and the moment you think it's all peace and sunshine, you get the full load of Drow temperament. I've always thought she was just a heartless harpy, but after the romance and after getting to know her better I actually began to feel sorry for her.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited December 2014

Viconia -- stories about the drow and a redemption arc. Followed by Neera romance and the Sarevok redemption story. More redemption plz.

The Jaheria romance was well written but also disturbing -- she and the protagonist are in a committed relationship two weeks after finding her husband's body? Creepy.

Just rest in an open field for a year or two when you escape Irenicus' dungeon :p
    killerrabbit
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    wubbleNonnahswriterkillerrabbitAndreaColombo
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

None. 'Cuz romance is icky. :P

Also, Anomen isn't dead last?! o_O You guys are crazy! :u

He's not? o_o Hmm, I wonder who is in last place...

*goes to look at the poll*

DORN!? You guys are crazy!

*goes to give Dorn a vote just to help him out a bit*

There. Now at least he's tied with Hexxat. :P
    JuliusBorisovelminster[Deleted User]Jarrakul
  • missescallamissescalla Member Posts: 17
    Right now, I am in love with the Keldorn Romance Mod by Berlinde.

The only thing that makes me sad.. I cannot find any evidence of the romance following through into Throne of Bhaal. I played the romance through twice, expecting him to come to his senses and stop being so noble.. and nothing. *le sigh* (if anyone knows of a place to get the mod complete with TOB in it.. please please let me know!)

I did enjoy the Rasaad romance, but it went buggy on me.

Anomen, so much potential there.. but he is constantly yelling at the female PC that I wish there was an option to tell him, he is being abusive verbally to her.
    killerrabbit
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    Viconia.

She makes you understand how hypocrisy is a common trait for all those paladins out there.

If we talk about mod added, I guess Fade and Dace.
    killerrabbit
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Scourge said:

Viconia.

She makes you understand how hypocrisy is a common trait for all those paladins out there.

I always like playing paladins with at least slightly above average intelligence and wisdom and make them not hypocrites...
    wubbleScourgekillerrabbit
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I'm just waiting for Jan to accept someone into his life after Lissa...
    killerrabbitJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    Elrandir said:

Scourge said:

Viconia.

I always like playing paladins with at least slightly above average intelligence and wisdom and make them not hypocrites...
    int-wis-cha

12-16-18

This is keldorn for you, and he tries to kill Viconia :p
    killerrabbit
    Scourge said:

Elrandir said:

Scourge said:

Viconia.

int-wis-cha

12-16-18

This is keldorn for you, and he tries to kill Viconia :p
    In his defense, Drow are a race of undeniably evil beings. Their entire culture is one based on evil, and because "misunderstood good guy from a bad background" is such a popular and overplayed trope, we have characters like Drizzt and (to a lesser extent) Viconia. BG1 Viconia is rather nice, but if she had a dozen more drow with her, she'd likely have no issue with slaughtering people. BG2 Viconia is forgiven for any evil actions because she's "not as immensely evil", she was "brought up in a bad society", and because she's "so hawt". Not to mention, you can "redeem" her. Which only brings her to a neutral alignment. Wow. So redeemed. While I feel her character is less evil than her alignment states, she's still technically evil.

Xenophobia (racism doesn't really qualify in a world with such diverse races as D&D has) isn't good ever, but when you're someone who works to destroy evil and protect the innocent, a being from a race known for literally BEING EVIL is something you'd at least want to watch closely, if not imprison immediately, possibly even killing on sight. Writers try to make the D&D races like our world's races by humanizing them, but it's a world where there ARE absolutes. For instance, gnolls ARE disgusting hyena men with a sickening culture and truly evil souls. (any gnoll lovers can back off. I like them too, but read up on their culture. It's kind of horrific.) Drow are just dark skinned elves with a sickening culture and truly evil souls. Occasionally a good soul comes out of it, but the chances are in the 0.something percentages.

Now. Looping back around from my massive and incredibly off-topic tangent, I prefer more passive paladins who never strike first at anyone. If they are attacked they defend themselves. If someone they believe to be good is attacked, they will defend them. I play guardians.
    JuliusBorisovkillerrabbit
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I think this argument has happened before...
    Probably. Also da** my opinions. I try to avoid arguing ever, and yet people say things and then I feel compelled to open my big mouth.
    There are a million counter-arguments I could make, but I'm gonna stick to the one that's demonstrably true. There is a drow goddess of redeemed drow. She's an intermediate goddess, which means that in a world where power is determined by number of worshipers, she's on the same level as favorites like Rillifane, Bhaal (when he was alive), and Helm. In light of that, it's hard to argue that non-evil drow are as rare as their detractors like to claim.