Skip to content

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jackjack If you have a controller for PC it's apparently fine.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

@jackjack If you have a controller for PC it's apparently fine.

Fair enough, but I sold my PS2 many moons ago and don't really have any desire to buy a controller for my computer.
    BelgarathMTH
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2014
    If anyone is interested in another perspective regarding pc functionality (graphics options, controls, etc.), check this out:

He seems to think that keyboard and mouse is a viable option for controlling the game. Although, like many people, he did find the controls awkward specifically when in tactical view.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i think the most important thing to do is to change the "move camera left and right" and "move left and right". by default A and D rotate camera while Q and E strafe, and it feels stupid. do this and then either keep using Q and E as keys to rotate camera or use right click to move the camera around. i personally made space bar my pause key as well, and made E my jump. it feels extremely good to me. I don't remember if I am missing any other changes I made, but it feels extremely natural. the tactical camera, however, is still stupid no matter what. not enough zoom/no mouse control, instead using WASD, and more problems make it not something I want to use unless I absolutely must position my team or set individual targets.
    JuliusBorisov
    bengoshi said:

One thing I can't understand is how on Earth did they let a game with bad tactical camera when it was undoubtedly one of the most important things for nearly every IE and DAO fans.

I think it's a very strange move by a company, no matter how BioWare changed with these years...

because now the consoles have it also and they were too lazy to make a different one for consoles and PC. honestly they could've made it even better the way things are but they just didn't design it well. for example they certainly could have a zoom feature even on a controller, or make it not have to follow the path like a player does (meaning to get across a bridge in tac cam you actually need to move the center across rather than just keep moving until you are on the other side) all in all though i have no trouble controlling in the other mode. at least no more than DAO, considering no other game must I hold right click to rotate the camera, but it isn't very burdensome.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited December 2014
    bengoshi said:

it was undoubtedly one of the most important things for nearly every IE and DAO fans

Sorry, but we're irrelevant.
    jackjackelement[Deleted User]
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Killed my first dragon. Except my character was dead when the killing blow was struck so it wasn't to her credit
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    For what it is worth, I've been playing Inquisition lately. Overall, I like it a lot. I can, however definitely see why so many people are comparing it with Skyrim as it feels a LOT like that. I also agree that it is better than DA2, which I thought was a significant let down, and not as good as DA:O.

One funny thing did happen. While executing one particularly tough (for my characters) mission, we ended up accidentally facing the Boss. Well, he proceeded to take out all of my group except Varrick. I ran away, only to find that my group was stuck. Every time I went back to rescue one of my team, that member would immediately agro and attack the bad guy, thus causing him to kill my party again. After about 15 attempts at this, because Varrick was plinking the baddie for 1 point per hit, I finally got my mage back and we then took out the baddie at range.

What really bothered me on this, and it happened again later, was that if you are low on potions and get wiped out, you pretty much have to "LET" everyone die or you end up running around being chased by bad guys until that happens. There is no tactical retreat that I was able to find. There should be a bit old "Run Away" button somewhere for these situations. Basically in the second scenario, Varrick (again. He seems to live the longest) ended up running through the woods being chased by a pack of bears, and then wolves, and then Chantry guards until he could sneak back and raise the rest of the group. it took me 40 minutes.

It's a flaw. Just sayin.

For what it is worth, I've been playing Inquisition lately. Overall, I like it a lot. I can, however definitely see why so many people are comparing it with Skyrim as it feels a LOT like that. I also agree that it is better than DA2, which I thought was a significant let down, and not as good as DA:O.

One funny thing did happen. While executing one particularly tough (for my characters) mission, we ended up accidentally facing the Boss. Well, he proceeded to take out all of my group except Varrick. I ran away, only to find that my group was stuck. Every time I went back to rescue one of my team, that member would immediately agro and attack the bad guy, thus causing him to kill my party again. After about 15 attempts at this, because Varrick was plinking the baddie for 1 point per hit, I finally got my mage back and we then took out the baddie at range.

What really bothered me on this, and it happened again later, was that if you are low on potions and get wiped out, you pretty much have to "LET" everyone die or you end up running around being chased by bad guys until that happens. There is no tactical retreat that I was able to find. There should be a bit old "Run Away" button somewhere for these situations. Basically in the second scenario, Varrick (again. He seems to live the longest) ended up running through the woods being chased by a pack of bears, and then wolves, and then Chantry guards until he could sneak back and raise the rest of the group. it took me 40 minutes.

It's a flaw. Just sayin.

There is a disengage button at the bottom right, where there is also the wait all and attack all commands. Using this sheathes weapons and they follow you as though there is no combat. Another more annoying way to retreat is to keep commanding each of them with the broken tactical cam...

Also I would always leave a save in long missions when I arrive at a resupply, and fully heal the party before resupplying. Only really annoying moment of having no pots for me was the last mission of chapter 1, as you stay in one area but you don't know that. I wasted resupplies because I thought we would move on, and so I had to deploy cheap tactics to fend off some waves off enemies that were already a higher level than me while my party was one hit away from death...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @ChildofBhaal599 - thanks very much for the info. That was one of the most frustrating afternoons in gaming for me in a while. It was quite funny, for the first five minutes, of Varrick running through the woods with bears chasing him. Then when the wolves joined in and finally the human warriors, I got quite sick of it. THEN 20 minutes later, I finally got my party back and shut the game down.

I'll look for the stuff you indicate.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    IMO the mouse and keyboard critique is overblown - it is mainly different and takes some getting used to. I agree that the tactical cam is clunky, but that goes for all platforms. You can still plan your moves however. I think the story and all the new features, not to mention the playtime makes this a great purchase.

@ChildofBhaal599 - thanks very much for the info. That was one of the most frustrating afternoons in gaming for me in a while. It was quite funny, for the first five minutes, of Varrick running through the woods with bears chasing him. Then when the wolves joined in and finally the human warriors, I got quite sick of it. THEN 20 minutes later, I finally got my party back and shut the game down.

I'll look for the stuff you indicate.

out of curiousity, is this the hinterlands quest where you learn of a bounty on bear claws (or something on bears) and have to go kill them? i remember that quest and those bears were unusually hard AND more were constantly joining in. i was near camp and I spamming the rest button lol. i think I even had human enemies join in and attack the bears, which helped a bit and gave Cassandra a chance to revive the party. speaking of which i can not stress how great I found the charging bull ability for warriors. so many purposes from running through destructable objects, charging a line of enemies down, charging to someone for revival, faster travel in areas where you can't ride your horse, charging out of danger... I won't go on lol
    Schneidend
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238

IMO the mouse and keyboard critique is overblown - it is mainly different and takes some getting used to.

Yeah it's going to take a while to get used to. Now to decide on a class :/
    Aristillius
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited December 2014
    I love Inquisition. Gameplay for the most part is pretty above average; and the take on the new healing system doing away with healing spells is interesting to say the least. On top of it all the interactions with the characters are top-notch. Banters between party members are better than they've ever been, and character interaction between you and the NPCs is great too.

EDIT: Also they made Sword and Shield *NOT* boring. HOW CAN YOU HATE THAT!?
    wubbleTJ_HookerSchneidendAristillius
    edited December 2014
    @shandyr well I am playing on nightmare my first playthrough and I quite hate the tactical cam. i only use it to tell people to move places and perhaps hold in specific places, as well as placing barriers properly when needed. it could really use some height adjustment I think, because my biggest complaint is how time consuming I find it to move the camera where I need it. also I hate that it always centers when you choose who to order rather than staying in position

the controls I am also fine with after adjustment. my controls are basically DAO default controls after I made adjustments. it is very fluid for me now, but I hated the defaults. every game I played strafes with A and D, not turn the camera.

the healing I am also fine with. you need to quickly get the neccessities to avoid damage and then all you need to ever do is avoid it. I made it through a long stronghold sort of place at bare minimum health with no potions, and Cassandra and Solas together lead the group through to the end. the only problem I had was the last mission of the first chapter because there were plenty of resupplies but you are in that area longer than I thought and wasted some. my next playthrough I should have no problem there as I'll just resupply if I need it.

it is a good game for what it is that I enjoy. I need to get back to it soon actually before my restartitis kicks in from being away too long. it is a long game and I wouldn't want to start again, and with that said I will also probably not play it for a long while as it is a journey that really takes time if you have the completionist nature like me. if you don't then I'll be like many people and say that you should do the bare minimum of side quests and rather just get the power you need for the story. this should be easily achievable on normal, but on nightmare you may want to do a bit more just for experience. it is an action RPG, but it is fun as an action RPG. if anything, get it on sale, and this is coming from the forumite that has hated on anything Bioware that comes up here. no, I have not placed full trust in them, but this game is a step in the right direction.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovkaguanaelminster
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    What I would really need to get me to buy this game, other than a patch that improves the controls, would be not for someone to wrtie convincingly that it's like Baldur's Gate, but for someone (several people, actually) to write convincingly that it's like Dragon Age: Origins.

Besides the massive complaints about the controls, the thing that most puts me off buying Dragon Age: Inquisition is that the majority opinion of people who have it already seems to be that it isn't like Dragon Age: Origins at all, and that it should have been, or at least that it wasn't what they hoped for from it, or wasn't what was promised by the developers.
    wubblejackjackJuliusBorisov
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It's probably the best fantasy RPG I've ever played. I got my start with Baldur's Gate like most of you, and DAI tops it. That's all that really needs be said.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

It's probably the best fantasy RPG I've ever played. I got my start with Baldur's Gate like most of you, and DAI tops it. That's all that really needs be said.

Impossible :D
    jackjackChildofBhaal599RavenslightUrsu
    @Schneidend‌ In what aspect, though? Story, gameplay, etc. And how?
    @Schneidend Thanks for that. Another game to add to the list, I guess :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjack
    edited December 2014
    @shandyr it is pretty good if you had the warden in a romance with Lelianna if you ask me. considering she is an advisor it gave me the chance to talk to her and get some more insight into what he is up to. i won't spoil any of it, but I did get a war room mission related to my warden. hopefully that all turns out fine because I care more for my warden than I ever did my Hawke

@schneidend i've said a good few times since it released that I enjoyed it, but I feel it has too many problems for me to call it my favorite fantasy RPG ever.

- you no longer choose skills (strength, cunning, etc) on level up. in DAO i often put a lot of strength into my rogues and they were more of a dual wield warrior. that would be impossible with DAI system
    - a lot of side quests are dull. like the majority of them. it just feels like this is a single player MMO when it comes to side questing
    - controlling the party is difficult. i won't talk about the tac cam again here. i made a lot of use of the tactics menu in DAO that I often could leave my party members to do their own thing. most I just moved them and set specific targets. in DAO I had to disable most of the skills for the AI so I don't have barriers going on people who don't need it, etc. i did reactivate them on Varric and my main rogue because they can spam abilities due to my perfect ability set up though
    - i don't find the party members the best ever. on a related note I think these are some of the best written romances ever, but there is noone who is an absolute standout to me in terms of the character itself. i like the starting party, iron bull, and dorien most, but they are nowhere near my favorite Bioware NPCs, which generally at least one in a game can make it to.
    - i started to really hate the war room idea. if they gave me a companion app I would hate it slightly less, but it is an annoying idea. in future playthroughs i will probably do the time forward trick to bypass any of the special ones, and just let the collection ones run while I am on missions and collect them when I feel like returning
    - companions feel a bit like ME2 where they don't have enough dialogue to speak to me throughout the game. this is one of very few things I found ME3 did right. this is a very picky one considering the huge amount of side content, but I just had to include it. too bad nobody at least speaks a "i don't want to talk" line that could become a meme...
    - i said before I like that they allow you to put armors on your allies but it is sad that if they aren't special armor (like the warden and inquisition armors I showed before) the appearance will barely change. it is at least good that there are some drastically different armors, but most of the time you will be wearing pretty much the same armor throughout the game if you are only going for the best armor

i could go on longer but it's been over a week since I played to remember all the details I would like to get into. in the end I can also say I find tactical combat more enjoyable than action combat. I like both, but I have a preference. in this DAO and BG both beat DAI. i find DAI greatly beats DA2 in this regard at least, but it is far from the other 2. i do enjoy some moments where it becomes quite tactical. my favorite moment may be where I had Cassandra survive against a horde of about 30 undead (on nightmare) while she constantly revived the team (mostly solas) to help until they got too much aggro and died again. in the tactics way I find DAI warriors to be the best actually in terms of the class. however, as party tactics and many of the other classes (especially mage) go, DAI is behind and so I know where my preference lies.

this is not to change your view, but to state the opposing. again, I also enjoy the game which is great after talking so much about how it would suck. i can thank The Crew for being postponed and creating the urge for me to play this. i will likely one day even have a second playthrough, and then a third. that is something DA2 never got out of me in all this time. still, I think I am likely going to play both BG and DAO (maybe twice) for every DAI playthrough.
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
    jackjack[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovkaguana
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2014
    Well I just found an issue that needs to be addressed immediately:
    No proper beards for my lady Dwarf :(
    The stuble just looks weird...
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackAristilliuskaguana
    Shandyr said:

Very beautiful and wonderful romance with Dorian so far.

This is the first game however where I also have a little crush on my main character, lol.

I like the way the game lets me play my mainchar as a young man who is yet naive, but his heart is in the right place. He tries to do the right things and often succeeds but he sees himself not as a Chose one, as someone special. He's very modest.

And it's very interesting when someone like that meets Dorian.

So double thumbs up for mainchar & Dorian!
    Does anyone know how I can add a little heart-smiley here? ;)

yeah, I like that I've been able to kind of choose how my character feels about the whole chosen one business. i played him a bit confused and not sure what to think, as that is kind of how I was. he didn't completely dismiss it as an andrastian, but a lot was happening and he wasn't sure what to think. he allowed others to think of him as the herald of andraste, though, as it made people look upon him as a gift from god and their only hope. it wasn't forced upon me to have my character just understand his new powers or anything. my character does try to not be too serious though. he is the jokester rogue who also flirts with just about anybody. well, he flirted with just about everybody until I locked into the Cassandra romance lol. he still likes to keep high spirits though, at least when the moment calls for it. he was certainly not joking at the aforementioned moments from you, but he is a cocky rogue also and showed no fear

at least the jokes are better than DA2 though. there they were honestly extremely innapropriate most of the time. I just thought my guy is just a random dude given a random task and doesn't act super professional as such :)
    [Deleted User]