Skip to content

[MOD] [BETA] Monastic Orders of Faerun

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Okay, you have used a different method to fix the avatar than I have, but you have the same problem: Your shorty monks will use their two-handed animations while making unarmed attacks.

I have confirmed that this is the case with a created Hin Fist. I believe that this is hardcoded. I have made a request in the feature requests forum to fix this, but I have no idea if dev's even read that forum anymore.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I would rather halflings look like halflings that have good unarmed animations, but neither situation is ideal. Maybe this will be fixed... Until then, we're stuck with 2H animations.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Heh, perhaps someone could take all of the monk animations, and reduce them down to half size :) That's probably thousands of frames though...
  • MenkalinanMenkalinan Member Posts: 17
    I've tried this mod again. It seems that the SQL errors are now gone when installing and everything else seems to be working well in BGEE.

However, I'm still seeing the same messed up strings in BG2EE. I've done a complete reinstall since the last time I tried this mod and I don't have any other mods installed. As before, reinstalling the mod doesn't help either.

Otherwise everything seems to be working well so far. I really like having some new Monk kits!
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73

I've tried this mod again. It seems that the SQL errors are now gone when installing and everything else seems to be working well in BGEE.

However, I'm still seeing the same messed up strings in BG2EE. I've done a complete reinstall since the last time I tried this mod and I don't have any other mods installed. As before, reinstalling the mod doesn't help either.

Otherwise everything seems to be working well so far. I really like having some new Monk kits!

@Menkalinan‌ i believe the sql errors are actually harmless. it's something to do with bg2ee not being updated to 1.3 yet though i can't remember the specifics.

Glad to hear that the SQL errors went away from v1.2 to v1.3. I have my suspicions about where the messed up strings are coming from and I'll look at them once I have time. (I should in a week or two...)
    elminster
    Good! I'm hoping that they'll release 1.3 for BG2EE soon so that I could start a proper playthrough with one of these new monks and see how it goes through both games.
  • JamieWroeJamieWroe Member Posts: 3
    Fantastic mod, I've been loving it so far and gotten to level 7 in BGEE but I've noticed a problem now - I still haven't gotten +1 fists. I've tried reinstalling everything and creating a new character to test but no luck. Everything else seems to be working - I'm getting all the abilities I'm supposed to get, not getting weird strings like some other posters and my fists are doing the correct damage... they just aren't magical.

I've tried leveling up from 1 to 20 with a fresh char and found two problems:
    1. Fists don't go from d6 to d8 at level 5, they change at level 6 instead. Other than this damage seems to increase properly so this isn't a big issue for me.
    2. Way more importantly fists don't become magical until 15th level, and even then are only +1. They become +2 at level 20 but I couldn't see if they become +3 at 25 since I've only raised my XP cap to 20th level.

Any idea if this is just a conflict on my end or if it is a bug with the mod itself? Really enjoying it so far, finally able to play a monk in BG1 without feeling gimped. Only thing that seems a little OP is some of the monk gear, but having said that my Monk isn't overshadowing Dorn or anyone like that so it's probably fine.
    Glad you enjoy it. Thank you for bringing these to my attention.

I'll definitely look into these issues, although it probably will be next week, as I am currently preparing another mod for a major update. If you find any other issues with the mod, please let me know.
    @JamieWroe‌ , thanks to your description of the issues you were encountering, I have managed to figure out the issue. The level 5 vs. level 6 d6->d8 has been fixed, and apparently the d8 fists weren't considered enchanted, which explains why you didn't encounter it. The item names (i.e. Fist +1) are actually independent of the enchantment level and are completely screwed up in regards to the actual enchantment level. I'm fixing this now.

@Menkalinan‌ , I believe that in my searching for the screwed up monk fist enchantments, I also figured out why you are getting the weird string errors in the inventory screen. It should be fixed in the next (coming shortly) release.
    Grammarsalad
    Monastic Orders (v0.2) is now available!

Several bugs have been fixed and the descriptions have been updated to be more informative.

Ideas, comments, criticism and requests are welcome, as always.

Enjoy!
    KamigoroshiGrammarsalad
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Aquadrizzt thanks for this lovely mod, I love that you use every bit of new features introduced in EE to your mods.
    I found that from major monk orders in Faerun there is one missing in your mod, which is:
    - Monks of the Yellow Rose - order devoted to Ilmater, the god of suffering and endurance. Their main monastery is called The Monastery of the Yellow Rose and is situated in the Earthspur Mountains in Damara. (ref. The Bloodstone Lands, 1989 p. 41]

Tried to find some info about other orders but there is too little info to do a proper kit from it. But Yellow Rose monk would be a nice addition:)
    GrammarsaladFunkave
    Earlier sketches of the mod did actually include Yellow Rose monks, but they are described in source material as monks who dedicated themselves to genealogical records and brewing wine, as well as diplomacy. While those are all great, they don't lend themselves particularly well to a kit that is useful or relevant in combat.

Beyond that, there is the slight overlap issue where the main descriptors of both the Yellow Rose and the Broken Ones are that they are disciples of Ilmater, and I've already made a nicely thematic Ilmateran kit with the Broken Ones, so there would likely be a lot of reused features if I tried to force both to work. If I came up with an original idea or a unique starting point for Yellow Rose Monks, I would definitely include them, but for now I'm feeling uninspired.
    Cahirelminster
    Fair enough:) Just thought you may forgot about them, but apparently not:) Do you plan some content addition to this mod or simply bug fixing and balancing stuff? Honestly this mod seem quite complete to me but who knows, what do you have up your sleeve:)
    edited January 2015
    There is a nice list of monk orders maintained at candlekeep.com that could provide future inspiration. While for now, I probably am only going to be doing bug fixes and rebalances and other minor changes, there is always potential for the mod to grow. Given that the Enhanced Editions seem to be expanding the boundaries of what is doable in the game engine, I wouldn't say that I'm done yet.

One of the super long term goals for this mod might be a more fitting Stronghold in BG2, but given that I have never done area or quest coding before, it will likely be a long time before this is implemented.

In short, this mod isn't done, although future content expansions will probably not occur in the near future.
    KamigoroshiDrow_Arrow
    @Aquadrizzt‌ hmm i've got one tiny problem.. when i go to install this mod it installs the core revisions fine but skips everything else stating that the core revisions part of the mod is required even though it literally just installed the stupid thing. XD.. it's a clean installation other than your sorc mod

@Aquadrizzt‌ hmm i've got one tiny problem.. when i go to install this mod it installs the core revisions fine but skips everything else stating that the core revisions part of the mod is required even though it literally just installed the stupid thing. XD.. it's a clean installation other than your sorc mod

This should be fixed now... the conversion from Monks Remastered to Monastic Orders didn't catch everything it was supposed to.
    edited January 2015

This should be fixed now... the conversion from Monks Remastered to Monastic Orders didn't catch everything it was supposed to.
    i'll re-download and give it another shot then and let you know.

EDIT: installed fine now, thanks.. i'll try it out tomorrow when i get a chance.

@JamieWroe‌ , thanks to your description of the issues you were encountering, I have managed to figure out the issue. The level 5 vs. level 6 d6->d8 has been fixed, and apparently the d8 fists weren't considered enchanted, which explains why you didn't encounter it. The item names (i.e. Fist +1) are actually independent of the enchantment level and are completely screwed up in regards to the actual enchantment level. I'm fixing this now.

@Menkalinan‌ , I believe that in my searching for the screwed up monk fist enchantments, I also figured out why you are getting the weird string errors in the inventory screen. It should be fixed in the next (coming shortly) release.

Yeah, it's fixed! Excellent work! :)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Monks are my favorite class after the Kensai, so I approve this mod wholeheartedly. I noticed there aren't any mentions of HLAs in the readme. Any intent on creating unique HLAs for each kit? Or at least HLAs that better fit monks as a whole? Whirlwind Kick (+2 APR increase) and Ethereal State come to mind.

Monks are my favorite class after the Kensai, so I approve this mod wholeheartedly. I noticed there aren't any mentions of HLAs in the readme. Any intent on creating unique HLAs for each kit? Or at least HLAs that better fit monks as a whole? Whirlwind Kick (+2 APR increase) and Ethereal State come to mind.

I did plan on doing a round of HLAs, including some custom ones for each of the kits, but I never got around to it. For the time being, I believe that there is a Monk Overhaul mod kicking about that uses Oversight's Monk HLA table.

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    While it does that it also changes the way with how the fists progress, which I would only assume would affect your mod quite negatively. Also while it's nice to have those HLAs, they are quite admittedly over-powered.

Regardless of whether you work on them or not though, this is a nice mod; keep at it :)
  • silversnuffsilversnuff Member Posts: 16
    I can't seem to select monk of the long death with a half-orc. Possible bug?

I can't seem to select monk of the long death with a half-orc. Possible bug?

Are you sure that you installed the Expanded Race Options component? I just did a clean re-install in BG1 and had no such difficulty.

Also, is the option appearing but not selectable, or is it not appearing at all?
  • silversnuffsilversnuff Member Posts: 16
    I'm playing in iwdee, the latest version. Definitely installed expanded race components. The option is appearing but not selectable for quite a few of the expanded races. Halfling can select a regular monk, but not Hin fist.

I'm playing in iwdee, the latest version. Definitely installed expanded race components. The option is appearing but not selectable for quite a few of the expanded races. Halfling can select a regular monk, but not Hin fist.

I am able to recreate this issue in IWD:EE. I also was able to figure out the issue relatively easily. When I updated the mod for IWD:EE, I forgot to update the EE_Add_Kit library to an IWDEE compatible version.

Redownload the mod from the top post and it should be fixed now. :)
  • DraylynDraylyn Member Posts: 7
    i found a bug your cla..... .2da files for each sub kit of monk refers to ga_apmnka3.spl at lvl 10....
    no such thing exsist as SCS is quick to tell me when i install it later...
    after deduction i belive it was a typo and you really meant for it to point to abundant step /shadow step qdmnka3 i know this error is present on the monk 2da the dark..moon 2da and the sunsoul 2da.. havent checked the others...
    @Aquadrizzt I managed to squeeze some time to translate this lovely mod to Polish. Here is the package with .tra file. If you could update the mod I'd be grateful.

I've been thinking to translate also Tome & Blood, but I've read that you plan to release new heavily modified version soon(ish), so I think I'll wait for it, before starting to translate.
    IchigoRXC
    Ok, I don't know if the UTF-8 without BOM coding is needed these days, but here's the file coded that way (file from previous post is UTF-8 only).
    Wow thanks @Cahir ! I really appreciate it. I'm going to be pushing out a wave of mod updates at some point this summer; I'll be sure to include your translation for MOoF when I do.
    elminsterIchigoRXC