Skip to content

The Original Baldur's Gate Better than Baldur's Gate II?

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    For me, the sweet spot of the power curve, where the interaction of PCs to monsters is both engaging and rewarding, is late BG and early BG2 - these are the parts of the game that are most fun to fly around fighting stuff and finding other creative uses of abilities. From that perspective, early BG2 is more accessible than late BG, stones to rate well.

BG2 also rounded out and completed the game mechanics in very satisfying ways. Character kits, weapon skills and styles, more magic to aspire to, keeps (which are a P&P reward too) etc. I believe Monks, Sorcerers and Half Orcs are added to the game at this point too?

The BG2 NPCs are the earliest gaming experience I remember with real characters. The BG2 area artwork is painted on a larger scale, captured at a higher resolution. The locations serve many purposes, rather than the mostly directionless wandering around BG1 sword coast.

And yet I really liked that freedom to wander. I prefer the green forests, and the little villages that populate BG1. For all everyone seems to rave about Irenicus as a villain, he left me cold, the weakest part of the game. Sarevok is a villain I relish taking down at the conclusion, every time. BG1 yields my favorite treasures with the stat tomes, that help me feel all godly.

With the EEs, the mechanical gap closes even more, although I do feel the kits are out of place without a rebalancing of the first game. On balance, I will still edge it to BG2 for just having the more rounded experience, but the most out-and-out fun, as I said, lies on the border between the two (although perhaps not right on the border, Chateau Irenicus does start to drag in the end).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I got the impression that BG1 was more popular because more people seemed to favor it in these discussions. When people would argue over whether BG1 or BG2 was the stronger game, more people would seem to favor the former.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    JLee said:

In all honesty, your conclusion regarding the forum.baldursgate.com snapshot is somewhat flawed (I can't speak to Metcritic).

There was only the General Forum for a long time on this site. It wasn't until ~BG2EE (I can't remember the exact timing) was announced that the BGEE forum was created. A lot of the general forum posts pre-BG2EE were BGEE related, a fact which is not communicated by your screenshot.

That is true. Plus the BGEE mods vs BG2EE mods isn't also the most accurate thing given that the section wasn't made until a year after BGEE was released (prior to that it was just called "modding").
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited January 2015
    JLee said:

In all honesty, your conclusion regarding the forum.baldursgate.com snapshot is somewhat flawed (I can't speak to Metcritic).

I don't Like Metacritic's conduct very much myself.. There are too many corrupted reviewers giving 100/100 to shite-ly games and too many Bull-'carp' 45/100 reviews by a crappy 'critic' whom is just an attention 'Hoe'-'Ore' trying to generate traffic to their (usually crappy and or dying) website. So yes 'Metacritc sucks' -Hard and I use it as a 'tongue in cheek' review source and I rather look intently at the comments and I seek out the actual critics: mostly common people who actually play the 'damn game' vs. the [usually crappy over inflated 'pompous'] 'critics' whom just play a 15 minute beta demo and write a willfully ignorantly, community disservice of a down right Sh-'crappy' review acting like they played 100 hours of the game. I also look at other websites and review 'respectable' videos to gauge a game fully.

What'd you think?
    edited January 2015

For me, the sweet spot of the power curve, where the interaction of PCs to monsters is both engaging and rewarding, is late BG and early BG2 - these are the parts of the game that are most fun to fly around fighting stuff and finding other creative uses of abilities. From that perspective, early BG2 is more accessible than late BG, stones to rate well.

BG2 also rounded out and completed the game mechanics in very satisfying ways. Character kits, weapon skills and styles, more magic to aspire to, keeps (which are a P&P reward too) etc. I believe Monks, Sorcerers and Half Orcs are added to the game at this point too?

The BG2 NPCs are the earliest gaming experience I remember with real characters. The BG2 area artwork is painted on a larger scale, captured at a higher resolution. The locations serve many purposes, rather than the mostly directionless wandering around BG1 sword coast.

And yet I really liked that freedom to wander. I prefer the green forests, and the little villages that populate BG1. For all everyone seems to rave about Irenicus as a villain, he left me cold, the weakest part of the game. Sarevok is a villain I relish taking down at the conclusion, every time. BG1 yields my favorite treasures with the stat tomes, that help me feel all godly.

With the EEs, the mechanical gap closes even more, although I do feel the kits are out of place without a rebalancing of the first game. On balance, I will still edge it to BG2 for just having the more rounded experience, but the most out-and-out fun, as I said, lies on the border between the two (although perhaps not right on the border, Chateau Irenicus does start to drag in the end).

I like that Level 6 / 7 to Level 12 / 13 experience (also do most Pen and Paper player from what I gather) where your character has a mostly full fleshed ability set and there are more options in combat with them as a result. The all monsters (not just Liches dragons and god-mages) are still relevant (while not super-gear dependent) and all classes have a broad purpose in combat and the power curves are very close together. After which it evolves into a 'clash of the titans' with with oxymoron 'lowly guards' which are gear dependent +3 Weapons and +1 Full Platemail in front of 'super mages'; It makes one think why not just retire and start an adventuring / mercenary subcontracting business? Or start a Kingdom, build a town?

So can you 'lean in on this' @sharguild ? It sounds like you played 'your share' of the Pen and Paper Role Playing Game. What do you think of my points, what did I miss and what did you think was 'bang on'? Where are my errors and where are somethings that you agree on or maybe thought needed more work? I would love to hear your perceptive and to have your Pen and Paper knowledge brought to the 'table' (puns:-P).. I too have have an interesting experience myself with the Original Baldur's Gate: I literally learned how to read for Baldur's Gate.
    @Tuth: "Am I somewhere in Saudi Arabia? Where is the medieval city of Baldur's Gate?"

I see what you mean. Try playing TOB; the characters in Amkethran actually have non-European names. What is this, the Middle East? It's not fantasy if it's set in Calimshan!

In all seriousness, I'm actually quite pleased with the environment of BG2. Not every fantasy story has to be set in a temperate forest with Western European people and customs. That's why people created Calimshan, Kara-tur, and Maztica--to have additional options. I and many others are actually very interested in non-stereotypical fantasy settings. We do not consider it a weakness or a source of confusion that Waukeen's Promenade has dome-shaped structures, just because the Islamic world had more of them than Europe.

I came to Baldur's Gate after playing Morrowind, a game widely known for its great depth and color, and the setting was decidedly not based on medieval Europe (medieval does not mean European, incidentally). After playing Morrowind, Baldur's Gate seemed terribly generic. But then, BG1 was a game of a different time, and I don't consider it a lower-quality game just because of its setting... as you seem to feel about BG2, whose setting is closer to Calimshan.

Saudi Arabia might be a backward country by modern political standards, but there's nothing wrong with playing a game whose setting is inspired by medieval Saudi Arabia. I don't know why you express such surprise by the Promenade's non-European architecture.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    @BelgarathMTH That is an excellent comparison and I felt similarly with the Empire Strikes Back and it grew on me as my favourite. Though BG2 did not, I might give it another try. It is not a bad game by any means, it is just not as good as BG1 in my eyes. Apart from the artstyle, I could not invest myself into the story. I like more complex and darker stories, so BG2 should work for me more than simpler BG1 plot. Yet somehow it is the other way round.

Thinking about it, maybe after a such long time I might like it and try seeing it in another light. I think I would appreciate it if it was just a different game, not a sequel to Baldur's Gate. It is the whole reason, why it is not working for me.

Throne of Bhaal was just a busy work to do, I was glad that there was no Irenicus at least. The final battle was trying so hard to be epic, but it took way too long. The godlike levels and the magic equipement was silly, I imagined how it would felt to be there as a level 1 character. Overall The expansion did not bother me as much, it was meh.

I do not like Icewind Dale series as much, it always felt like a huge level grinding and tedious dungeons with like 5 levels. It is great for multiplayer though and I enjoyed the game much more that way.

@semiticgod It is not the setting itself that bothered me, it is the huge differential gap between the two games. It was my expectatins that ruined the experience for me, rather than just the game itself. I have nothing against the Saudi Arabia scenery, I just was not ready for playing a Baldur's Gate game in it.

I love Planescape: Torment as much as BG1 and it has really strange and unusual artstyle, but I knew it would be that way. I can appreciate different styles, not just the European one. I grew too close to BG1 and its setting and felt discontinuity after the change in BG2.

In the same way I would not expect a second book in a series, like Lord of the Rings to drastically change the setting. I know that Forgotten Realms has a wide variety of styles, but maybe it is the lack of transition between the two games that soon should will be filled.

It is time to find out whether BG2 will be better if I will give it one more chance. I know it will not be as good as BG1, but maybe it will not bother me as much anymore.
    @Tuth: My apologies if my post came off as harsh. I did not mean to be.

It makes sense. We fall in love with a game and then it changes.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2015
    It depends. I just love love love the story of both games, but I lose interest in the mechanics after level 14 or so. Levels 5-14 are the sweet spot IMO. On the other hand, I do miss the interactions when playing BGEE. But this is easily alleviated with the BG1NPC Project, a mod that I personally feel puts the first game over the top. But only by a hair. Just don't ask me about ToB :|
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2015
    What do you think of the ending of BG?

I'm curious because despite how much I love the game, I find the ending to BG1 to be among the worst I've ever played. If you happen to find Sarevok to be the biggest threat in the fight (I know I do) and take him out first, the battle is inexplicably and abruptly ended. It remains very jarring to this day to me. After that a very strange, anticlimactic cut scene takes place and you are kicked back to the main menu??? The endings to SoA and ToB are FAR better imo and am curious to hear your thoughts.

Also, I find the enemies far more interesting and iconic in BG2, but that is a matter of opinion. For example, and since you mentioned it, the demogorgon encounter has a moral complexity that BG1 never comes close to approximating.

Finally, I find that BG1 is in fact more limiting in the classes that are successful, especially in the beginning. By the time you reach higher levels, every class is feasible, not the other way around.

I enjoy reading everyone's opinions here and have found them insightful and, even if I don't agree with all of them, I am thankful to you all for sharing such thoughtful posts.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I agree with you on the ending.. I have the same problem with the expansion pack and the conclusion of Durlags Tower and dealing with Aec'Letec. It was a challenging, strenuous and fun battle for sure, but I didn't really feel anything after I was done talking to the dwarf.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    JLee said:

What do you think of the ending of BG?

I'm curious because despite how much I love the game, I find the ending to BG1 to be among the worst I've ever played. If you happen to find Sarevok to be the biggest threat in the fight (I know I do) and take him out first, the battle is inexplicably and abruptly ended. It remains very jarring to this day to me. After that a very strange, anticlimactic cut scene takes place and you are kicked back to the main menu???

As much as I adore BG1, I won't pretend that it's perfect. The manner in which the game ends so abruptly, without any explanation as to what the future holds for you and your newly-acquired powers, is one of the standout weaknesses of the game IMO.
    JLee said:

The endings to SoA and ToB are FAR better imo and am curious to hear your thoughts.

SoA ends with a cliffhanger that implies that there will be a coming showdown between you and the Cowld Wizards, which is then completely ignored in ToB, which seemed to be thrown together hastily to give an ending to the saga before Black Isle disbanded.

ToB gives the most fleshed-out ending of the three, but by that time the game had departed so far from both the style and storyline of the original game that I really didn't care that much anymore.
    JLee said:

Finally, I find that BG1 is in fact more limiting in the classes that are successful, especially in the beginning. By the time you reach higher levels, every class is feasible, not the other way around.

BG1 can be difficult for virtually any class at the starting level(s), but IMO, all classes come to improve and distinguish themselves at fairly equal rates over the course of the game. The only possible exception is the monk IMO, and that's a class that was specifically designed for BG2.

By contrast, single class thieves are badly nerfed in BG2, and will often feel like dead weight outside of the isolated moments when you need a trap disarmed or a lock picked. In BG1, thieves like Imoen, Alora, and even Skie can still distinguish themselves as decent backup archers.

I've found equal success at BG1 using completely contrasting combat styles - sometimes playing as a ranged/sharpshooting party augmented by invoker (fireball, cloudkill) spells, other times playing as a melee-oriented party backed up by sleep/command spells. Neither of these approaches are particularly effective for much of BG2, because both missile/piercing weapons and many lower-level spells are badly nerfed in BG2.

Single-classed thieves are terribly weak if you don't manage them. I used to just have my thieves equip the Tuigan Bow and spend every battle firing arrows. But if you make the most of their abilities, they're absolutely murderous. Their backstabs can be instant kills on many enemies, and they get a +4 THAC0 bonus when attacking from invisibility or when hidden. The damage multiplication and THAC0 bonus make a thief nearly as good as a fighter in combat. With Belm and proper maneuvering, you can backstab twice per round, without even needing Haste.

Traps also add a lot to battles, and not just by laying down 7 traps where a Lich is about to spawn. A single extra trap can cut short an enemy's life by a round or two, and on higher levels the traps do lingering damage that can continually interrupt spells. Plus, pickpocket can add many nice resources to the party overall, disarming traps and lockpicking add to party XP, and Detect Illusions can obviate the need for True Seeing.

The overpowered thief HLAs are well-known, but I don't think it's much appreciated how useful thieves are in the early- and midgame as well.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    One thing I always found weird is this item appearing in BG2 http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Harbringer
    in the underdark of all places. There are probably several items you can say that about, but this one stuck out like a sore thumb. At least to me.

I always thought this item seemed perfect for BG1..Although one might say it's too powerful for BG1, it would have certainly been fun imo.
    edited January 2015
    batoor said:

One thing I always found weird is this item appearing in BG2 http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Harbringer
    in the underdark of all places. There are probably several items you can say that about, but this one stuck out like a sore thumb. At least to me.

I always thought this item seemed perfect for BG1..Although one might say it's too powerful for BG1, it would have certainly been fun imo.

Hey.. I'm working on Baldur's Gate II items for the Orginal Baldur's Gate Standard (No crappy blurry paint 'rush' jobs, all 3D modeled and practical in real life combat).

Current 'Finished' Armour From Baldur's Gate II roughly concieved / prototyped / 'alpha-ed' for the Original Baldur's Gate.

Also I watch this YouTube Channel on mostly practical knowledge of historic personal weapons:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson
    Here is an example weapon video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsLd3dVNz8&index=4&list=PLxClq4a6GD73kaPeAWbchwwixKl7z1oFS

Take Care Everyone; please speak freely!
    Post edited by WithinAmnesia on
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I recommend everyone to watch this video, the designers are trying to hard to create "unique" feel to thier games. So much stuff pointing out of the weapons is just distracting and not fun.

One thing I wanted to add to my rant about BG2 is my problem with romances. I never liked them. In fact, I finished the game without romanceable NPCs. To me it felt forced and unecessary and I am glad there will be no romances in Pillars of Eternity. Maybe it is just me, but when I think about adventure I do not associate it with flirting, relationships etc.

I used to joke about mods that added NPCs and of course they have to be romanceable, are gamers that horny these days? Having all party able to romance, I can just imagine the sexual tensions within the group. To me a romance does not make a character interesting. I want to like NPCs, not get turned on by them.

Again, example from Lord of the Rings. The popular joke is that Frodo and Sam had something going on between them. Whereas Tolkien wanted to show the power of friendship. It may be the fault of the movie adaptation, I personally would not think for a second that there could be a romance between the two hobbits.

Planescape: Torment did it so much better with Anna and Fall-from-Grace. The first one had a very subtle romance and the second was an example of a strong friendship. Fall-from-Grace even tells that she will find The Nameless One no matter what and I do not think she meant to confess her love to him by that. I know that there were complains about Anna and that her romance was "just a kiss". Well, that was enough for me. Paradoxically, I felt the stronger bond that way.

Morte's story has more impact in my eyes than both females in Planescape: Torment. I love Anna and Fall-from-Grace as much as any other NPC in this game (pun intended). So, romances are a kind of big "no no" for me in games, I can give a pass to subtle ones. I will however, try to avoid romanceable NPCs.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm sure this question doesn't have one straight answer.

Tastes differ and it seems there will be always several opinions on this.

For e.g., check http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1466/baldurs-gate-1-better-then-baldurs-gate-2 - it's a discussion from the Dawn of the forum (July, 2012).

I always try to look at BG1 and BG2 as at one long and exciting game, starting from Candlekeep and going into ToB.

Yes, I like the feeling I get at the first levels, when every other encounter with a pack of wolves can end your run. I like the feeling I get when I think about characters' development: which proficiencies should I take, which companions should I choose, in which order should I explore locations and complete quests.

But in the same time I like the feeling I get when I have to think about breaking enemy mages's defences. I like the feeling I get when Cromwell makes those artifacts for me. I like the feeling I get when going through Jaheira's romance and watch her changing.

I'm just so glad we can play both games so that the journey of Charname takes not 100+ hours but 200+ (and even more) of play.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Whilst there have been threads like this before, this one has really got me thinking about the 'how and the why' of our development as players - given that as we gain experience with each playthrough we hone our tactics and strategies just as our characters become more proficient in their skills and find their own optimum roles.

With that in mind, I have become more of a role player (due very much I think to the lack of a DM to instil vibrancy into the game) so it is important for me to be able to take ownership of the character and put his 'head' on when I sit down to play a session. For this reason I only play BG2 with characters that I've imported from BG1 - and therein lies the rub:

For obvious commercial reasons BG2 has to be a stand alone game that can be (and often is) played without having played BG1 first, yet it is also trying to be a sequel and this where I think it falls between two stools. I think the transition between the two games hasn't been handled as well as it could have been for existing players and that is why we talk about them as two different games rather than one long saga.

When TotSC came out as an expansion pack you had the option to import your entire party from BG1 and then return to Baldur's Gate for a much tougher (retrofitted) final battle. With the situation we have now, in BG2 you are not only forced to start the game with NPCs that quite possibly weren't in your BG1 party but you can also meet NPCs that died in BG1! Also, I don't like the feeling of being sent back to kindergarten every time I start BG2 - how did my very experienced BG1 veteran manage to do something so monumentally stupid as to get imprisoned with no apparent reason or warning?

For me the whole discussion about which game is better is in itself a problem. If the start of BG2 had been thought through more thoroughly and written differently this question wouldn't keep on cropping up.
    edited January 2015
    Hmmn, *A long minute of Silence*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You know I was going to say something rather mundane as to respond to @dunbar and @bengoshi‌ 's 'brother from another mother' thread 'point out', but I just don't feel like it. I feel as to do something more in depth. I want to tell a story that is somewhat more of a 'release of emotion' than a reply and or a 'related statement'. *Eh hem -clears throat* ("One who clears throat".. what a name that would be.. anyway)

You know, I never really liked being poor in spirit. I never really understood why hardship can be a good thing when I was very, very young. I never really fancied myself as a person to stay in place and stop 'moving on' both in mind and location; and I have 'mostly' lived my short life as such - always progressing within hardship.

I have always known that I and many others can do amazing things and feats of accomplishment that no 'absurd' science fiction story nor wildest fever-dream could concoct nor match in protest. Although sadly many of the people who could change our imaginative landscapes within our lives never do. We give up and stop fighting. We mostly give in to the obstacles of pain and failure and begrudgingly and numbly accept the world as a place to live, to simply exist and not to thrive within, engaging in all of our combined senses; we are mostly gray and struggle within silence.

I once found that pain was something to be.. Always destructive; until I listened to the flowers that grew from within my own scared mental landscape. I looked around and found many people around myself living within a haze of blank emotions and a rut of human abstinence of existence; missing of true feeling and not hitting one's emotional boundaries. I realized that growing within life is not living comfortably nor always feeling successful. No, only arrogance can and will eventually come from those continued emotions for one never feels defeat and with it humility and humblity.

You see a hero or a regular human being or even a general character is not judged based on their successes after successes but rather their ability to deal and choose their path based on how they cope, deal and create success from debilitating failure; failure of peace, harmony and or freedom of themselves and perhaps others.

The sheer amount of energy of prevalent Pain and Suffering can either destroy you as a being or one can 'Pull a Yoda' and absorb and re-channel the 'negative force lightning' for the mediums and intentions of good. Unfortunately the people whom seem to create the best tales of adversity, adventure and overcoming huge epic obstacles are the people whom have or currently face adversity with or within their past of present lives. Although that is just it: progression and advancement comes from adversity. Although for most 'Could be William Shakespeares' of a field never get to accomplish their potential for they become scared and or mundane and or are too 'emotionally broken inside' to pursue their dreams; content on living a mostly trivial, un-influential, comfortable, and numbingly mundane life with no fight to grasp at their dreams nor willingness to face and overcome devastating hardships.

You see I know what I want to do and I have faced much pain and hardship in my life where others have not. I feel that If I live I will still be pursuing my dreams for I know how important it is to 'live life for dreams', and not 'the dream of living life'. I have hit 'absolute rock bottom' before and have had my 'close circle' crumble and implode around myself; "but I kept writing the next cipher". I was broken emotionally from emotional trauma and a slave to many burdens emotional and physical; but I did not break where many do and or did before. I believed in myself and 'stuck around above ground' where ours now fertilize the 'daisy mound'.

You see all of these / those 'doubts' of never being able to do the things that you want to do within your very, very, very short and delicate life are no more than challenges waiting to be just that: Challenged. You know, have you ever been in a competition where you know you will lose but try anyway? Death, we all die in some shape or another and I feel the importance of life from that very graphic realization: Life is here, thus LIVE IT. In the last glimpse of your life, what are the things that you do not want to regret never having done when you could have or would have done if you just tried a bit harder?

I want to die feeling accomplished and even exhausted from living my life to the fullest rather than feeling that deep down I lived comfortably when I and many others could have thrived. I do not want to live by the 'idea of action' nor by toothless words, hopes, dreams and love. I want to never regret believing in myself enough to fight, not compromise and to progressively evolve myself and others for my dreams and theirs, win or lose; do you not agree?
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    It's tough to choose. I do enjoy the low levels and all the roaming about finding adventure in BG1, as opposed to it coming to you most of the time in BG2. OTOH, BG2 does have better and more fleshed out characters. By the end of SoA I do start to feel a little bored - I think that's because it starts to be all about the main plot, which is the least interesting and original part of the game. And then ToB always feels just a little rushed.

If I could, what I would do is just add several new areas to explore in BG2. Like TotSC, you would just find new areas, characters and quests which don't really impact the rest of the game at all, except in terms of items and experience.
    @bengoshi‌ Thank you very much for your most recent post, I greatly enjoyed it and I was extremely impressed with the commentator asking the questions. Thank you very much and it was a literal gem to read. I wish I had more 'insightfuls' to give you friend. Bravo!
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Personally I much prefer BG2 to BG1.

I find the open wilderness areas of BG1 a chore to explore - I have to grit my teeth at times to get through them all. By contrast I much prefer the more detailed and focused areas of BG2.
    karnor00 said:

Personally I much prefer BG2 to BG1.

I find the open wilderness areas of BG1 a chore to explore - I have to grit my teeth at times to get through them all. By contrast I much prefer the more detailed and focused areas of BG2.

To each their own. If that is what you like in an R.P.G. who can say that is incorrect? Good Luck and Take Care Friend.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I consider BG2 the better game in terms of challenging combat and NPC banter, but prefer BG1 in many other respects. It's to do with points already mentioned, such as BG1's open, explorable world, its more medieval atmosphere (as opposed to BG2's almost sci-fi feel), more NPCs, Charname's naiveté with which I identify easier than their BG2-superstardom, magic being useful but limited rather than limitless in its power.

All character classes and item types are quite viable in BG2, but in BG1, the best strategies are fairly narrow.

Hmm, I find that in the second game the contrast between classes/kits like Shapeshifter, Wizard Slayer or Beastmaster on the one hand, and Sorcerer, Inquisitor, Berserker, Mage etc on the other is as stark if not starker than the contrast between BG1's stronger and weaker classes/kits. And in BG2 the best strategies seem quite narrow to me as well (namely: use arcane magic to buff, debuff and destroy).