Skip to content

Will we ever see "Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition"?

As the title says.
RavenslightPibarospacejawsClumsy_Dwarf

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    There is Torment: Tides of Numenera as a compensating factor :smile:
    jackjackStormvessellolien
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Please! With a cherry on top? I would offer my first born, but that might backfire on me…

Unfortunately, I’m beginning to fear that they will be moving on to a more modern engine before they have a chance to do Planescape.
    AstroBryGuyPibaroillathid
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Ah! Then all hope is not lost! In that case, I shall continue to make my nightly sacrifices.

Thank you for renewing my hope @Amber_Scott
    Amber_ScottJLeeBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    I think the problem with PS:T is the addition of content. It would take a huge amount of work to seamlessly integrate it.

PS:T is even more highly regarded from a writing standpoint than the BG series and I can already hear the complaints.

Good luck and may Tymora smile upon you.
    jackjackPibaromlnevese
  • SymphonyofSwordsSymphonyofSwords Member Posts: 40
    And eyeball. And intestines.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakPibaro
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I used to be into action man when I was little. I remember having a doctor x with a hook instead of a hand. It wasn't an original feature, my dog chewed his hand off so my dad replaced it with a small hook, made the toy WAY cooler though.
    PibarololienMoradin
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i feel like with the widescreen mod and stuff it's fine the way it is. just played it recently after 10+ years and enjoyed it just as much as i did back then
    Musigny
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

It's pretty much a maybe. A lot of people in the office (including me) would LOVE to a Planescape update. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Trent has said "we'd like to, there are issues to work out first but we're interested" (I paraphrase). So nothing is officially in the works but maybe, someday, hopefully.

Updated my journal

I think that as soon as Torment: Tides of Numenera is out, there will be a big, huge wave of nostalgia among the fans (they say it "late 2015" but I believe it will be 2016). Plus there will be new players who only try the new game.

This is when Beamdog should act ; )

And now, we're are in front of tormently waiting.
    RavenslightPibaroMoradin
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    cmk24 said:

I tried to play it with the widescreen mod, but I find myself missing the abilities to zoom in and out and using the middle mouse button to move the map around. If these were the only two things added to the Planescape:EE I would buy it. The EE's have made it very difficult for me to go back to the IE+mods version.

I totally agree. You are either too zoomed out for fights or too zoomed in for general gameplay.

@CrevsDaak‌ I've never had any crashes with the widescreen mod.
    If you follow this guide, everything should work perfectly:
    http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Meyahi‌ I have, but it still crashes (I use Wine to run it on OSX, which is why it tends to crash). Still I have to try again since the last time was an year ago almost.
    jackjack
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    @CrevsDaak‌ You can give Aqrit's DDrawFix a try. It solved many graphical issues including freezes caused by visual effects on my system (although I don't know if it works as intended on non-Windows systems).
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Planescape EE would be awesome, especially for non-Windows users. The Wine versions are ok to use, but they are less stable than a native version in my experience (IWD2 in Wine causes me headaches). Plus, they tend to run the CPU load way up compared to the EEs.

Of course, I'm still hoping for a Gold Box games in IE-Plus announcement :wink: . That would be cool!
    jackjackCrevsDaakPibaroJuliusBorisov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited January 2015
    Wouldn't a Planescape Torment EE be under the same contract restrictions as BG1-2 was?
    I don't want new content in the game anyway though.. About the only thing I would have liked fleshed out is the scrapped Pendant of Yemeth sidequest.

I always found that pretty intriguing. Although I guess you would have to ask Chris Avellone what the plan for that really was.
    CrevsDaak
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Amber_Scott -

bengoshi said:

Updated my journal

I think that as soon as Torment: Tides of Numenera is out, there will be a big, huge wave of nostalgia among the fans (they say it "late 2015" but I believe it will be 2016). Plus there will be new players who only try the new game.

This is when Beamdog should act ; )

And now, we're are in front of tormently waiting.

Remember, too, that it's not really up to Beamdog (other than in how hard we campaign to do a PS:T:EE). Wizards still owns the game and has the final say in if, when, and how we can make an enhanced edition. That's high-level stuff Trent handles so I have no insight into the whole process, but it's more than just a matter of us deciding to update Torment.
    You say that as if Wizards wouldn't love to give Monty and Numenera a digital kick in the behind :P
    JuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2015
    argent77 said:

@CrevsDaak‌ You can give Aqrit's DDrawFix a try. It solved many graphical issues including freezes caused by visual effects on my system (although I don't know if it works as intended on non-Windows systems).

Most of the crashes happen when the game wants to load areas or creatures animations (probably to due my low RAM the last time I tried), and are mostly random.
    Also it tends to corrupt saved games and crash while saving, but that's another problem (and happens even more randomly).

Edit: I'll give it a try though (even if I don't even have an Nvidia card nor DDraw, just an Intel GMA950 and tell the game to use OpenGL for rendering (at least for bg2:tob) and stuff)
    jackjack