Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

lacks any real atmosphere imo.

Hacknslash? Nope.

Atmosphere? Yeah...

But really, that's hard to tell what a game is, without having tried it. Just looking at a vid is not the same, as playing it yourself.

I agree it 'looks' a bit arcade, but I assure you, there is plenty of roleplaying and atmosphere : )
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    all the vids ive seen so far are all pure hacknslash fests.

Ill conceded, that could be folks wanting to try the mechanics.

so there is decent plot/char in this too?
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

all the vids ive seen so far are all pure hacknslash fests.

Ill conceded, that could be folks wanting to try the mechanics.

so there is decent plot/char in this too?

The writing and the story are hands-down the best part of the backer beta in my opinion. Given that the backer beta is only one town that isn't a part of the main plot, I'm confident that this area of the game will not disappoint.

Most people streaming the backer beta will likely not focus on the writing because it's awkward to wait around for the viewers to read all the text, and from what I've seen of Josh streaming the actual beginning of the game, he just quickly skips through a lot of the text and outright cuts some of it to avoid spoilers and keep the stream full of action.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

... Can the party members walk? I don't doubt the battles take pause and command to succeed... but everyone jogging around reminds me of Diablo 2.

There is no walk feature planned at the moment as far as I know, although the issue has been raised on the forum and quite a few (myself included) agree that a walk feature would be a very good thing.

There is a "slow mode" and a "fast mode" right now that slows everything down and speeds everything up, respectively.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    what about velociraptors?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    wubble said:

what about velociraptors?

They are for fleeing from!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Actually, the thing that annoyed me most with the jogging (in the videos I have seen) is that everyone one jogs perfectly in time - it is like a party of line dancers. If they would just offset the timing of the animations for each party member at random when you start jogging, it would look better (IMNSHO).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Another patch was promised for this week but we will get it later.

The developers reflected on it: "Too much stuff trying to finalize the PAX demo we are going to be streaming with our panel. Sorry about getting your hopes up.

That said, make sure you check out the panel on Saturday at 12:30. We are going to show off a few areas that you haven't seen before and then do a question and answer session. I think the stream is being shown on the front page of the PAX South site and on the front page of Twitch."

And, by the way, this will probably be the last backer beta that they do.

How does it feel to think that we will get the last beta patch? : )

Actually, the thing that annoyed me most with the jogging (in the videos I have seen) is that everyone one jogs perfectly in time - it is like a party of line dancers. If they would just offset the timing of the animations for each party member at random when you start jogging, it would look better (IMNSHO).

They (Obsidian) talked about doing the offset, but was unsure, if there was time enough...
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

Agreed!! One of the things I really liked about Rome: Total War was this off-setting of animations for individual soldiers, so that it looked like a group of soldiers acting like soldiers. Small, subtle touches like that made them look disciplined, yet not perfect, making them more realistic.
    Squire said:

Agreed!! One of the things I really liked about Rome: Total War was this off-setting of animations for individual soldiers, so that it looked like a group of soldiers acting like soldiers. Small, subtle touches like that made them look disciplined, yet not perfect, making them more realistic.
    On the other hand you did get groups of 240 identical men.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    wubble said:

Squire said:

I believe the clone wars happened in another universe :)
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    wubble said:

True, but you don't notice that unless you zoom right in on their faces. Besides, where in the gaming industry do you have thousands of men on a screen, and each one looks distinctly different? ;-pp
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    release date is march 26th!
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Awkward interviewer. ^^
    I am hoping for a new build today. But it will probably be next week ... :/
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    How do you backer folks feel about the combat? I feel like it looks a little... off for some reason I can't put my finger on when I watch footage.
    The combat can be a little confusing, and it needs to be tweaked a little more. But overall, I actually started to enjoy the combat, after learning the rule-set and different systems... It does not feel like IE though ...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    ^
    That is a big list (like always, though). I just hope that the release build is as smooth as possible.

7 WEEKS to go!
    I know they haven't released the system requirements yet but can anyone who's played the backer beta shed some light on how powerful a pc is needed?
    wubble said:

I know they haven't released the system requirements yet but can anyone who's played the backer beta shed some light on how powerful a pc is needed?

From the kickstarter:

"Our target is to run on older machines and to support a wide variety of hardware. We will be announcing the system requirements at a later date so stay tuned for an announcement down the road."

That said, I'm on an average pc, and having some freezes and lags, but hey, it's still beta...
    edited February 2015
    Uh, I'm surprised there are some nasty bugs with music not playing, my combat log messing up, and still some other broken combat stuff.

Otherwise lots and lots of improvements, I really like the spell-book. Solid background for the GUI, improved elf models (that I complained about earlier) a few new portraits and even a new Obsidian logo intro ...