Skip to content

Flaming Oil

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
Does anyone ever use these? I occasionally will use them against dying trolls. But that is about it. I just find my inventory is clogged up with them by end game.
lolienJuliusBorisov

Comments

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I think that's why they give them to you. I always end up selling them in bulk to Oswald after Dragon's Eye. It would have been nice if they were allowed in the Potion Bag.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    they're good to keep around for if your fighter ever gets separated from the rest of your party, like in the watchknight crypt in trials of the luremaster
    JuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Eventually I realized I didn't really have a use for them and started chucking them at enemies willy-nilly. It was pretty fun for a bit, actually.
    atcDaveJuliusBorisov
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    Yep, exactly. Funny thing is the FO you get in Dragon's eye has an area of effect, whereas the FO you get in the latter part of the game effects only a single target. There aren't a lot of flaming/acid weapons in IWD (unlike BG1 and 2).
    meagloth said:

I use it all the time. It's nice to have a small AoE for trolls, especially in the one level of dragons eye with like 900000000 trolls in one spot.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, don't believe the hype, Ogresol doesn't work worth ****, it's also a toxic radioactive carcinogenic semi-caustic gas.

But flaming oil is fun for the whole family!*

Really!**

*Except anyone young, stupid, reckless, unwise or pyromaniacal. It's not for them.

**Not really.

On a more serious note, the flaming oil gear is worth using. Great to have in an emergency. Weapon Ineffective eh, well LET IT BURN!
    lolienJuliusBorisovJLee
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I also use them to kill trolls. They are a handy way to save up Aganazzar's Scorchers and Acid Arrows when you don't have a flaming sword or other means to deal fire or acid damage at will.
    lolienatcDaveJuliusBorisov
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Would be nice if some could mod the flaming oil to coat your weapons for a short time to give fire damage. Would be more useful when fighting the trolls and undead.
    wubble

Would be nice if some could mod the flaming oil to coat your weapons for a short time to give fire damage. Would be more useful when fighting the trolls and undead.

...this would not be a good idea on a sword, unless you like ruining the temper... oil burns pretty hot, and it only needs to heat the metal to a few hundred degrees before your sword holds an edge as well as a farm hoe.

Then again, magic. *shrug*
    baldurskjdlolienby_the_sword
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    I guess you would not care in BG with the iron crisis and all. Stupid weapon is gonna break anyway.
    DreadKhanlolienJuliusBorisovCalmar

I guess you would not care in BG with the iron crisis and all. Stupid weapon is gonna break anyway.

Heh, that used to drive me up the wall early on, especially when I did not know where to find goodies! Everybody had to carry 3 of their weapon until they nabbed magic gear.

You know, the REAL cause of the iron crisis could be someone tried to make flaming weapons... :open_mouth: Mulahey was innocent!
    baldurskjdlolienCalmar
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I often use them, just to see how many trolls I can get at once.
    wubbleJuliusBorisovlolienreivision
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The only flaming that is permitted, is the flaming oil.
    wubblelolienJLeeCalmar
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I use flaming oil on chickens, they taste better when fried :)
    elminsterJuliusBorisovatcDavelolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited January 2015
    DreadKhan said:

...this would not be a good idea on a sword, unless you like ruining the temper... oil burns pretty hot, and it only needs to heat the metal to a few hundred degrees before your sword holds an edge as well as a farm hoe.

Then again, magic. *shrug*
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    The flaming oil was made in case you have no one that can cast a flame or acid spell., or don't have a weapon that can kill the trolls. It's essentially a fail-safe when you think about it because if you did fall into the aforementioned category you would have no way to kill dem trollz. And dem trollz are like internet trollz when they stand back up. YA JUST CANT GET EM TO GO AWAY!!!1!!!
    wubbleJuliusBorisovCluaslolien