Skip to content

The cutest little elf you will ever see!

AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
My eldest son has seen me play the Baldur's Gate series since his birth. Until now, I've told him the games are too complex for children. But when he recently turned nine I realized that argument wouldn't work on him any longer. So despite not really understanding the rules - or even English very well, for that matter - he started playing BG1 on his Android tablet last week. He was very determined to play an elven archer, so I helped him with that. Before leaving for a week at his mom's, he made it so far as to the Friendly Arm Inn. When he arrives home again tomorrow, this portrait awaits him:

I still have a little work to do on it, but I'm more or less done. Below is the original I worked with:

Post edited by Astafas on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Impressive.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @Tresset, Well, he's a smart kid. :-D
  • McTaffMcTaff Member Posts: 3
    Awesome!
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I'm sorry but that's a bit to deep into the valley of the uncanny for me. Creeps me out just a bit.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I started playing it with my older brother back in the days, i was 7 and he was 10 at that time. A girl introduced him to the game and i remember that we called her every time we got stuck, which was several times a day.
    He named his character Elric, which is also his real name. :-)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm afraid no one said this yet, but I have to say it. I'm not nearly as good as you in digital art, and yet there is one thing I can critique on. The angle of the boy's eyes are placed in makes them look... not cute at all, but utterly creepy.

I am saying this because I consider it a artist's mistake.
    @O_Bruce Elves are otherworldly creatures, not humans. Please see attached from the Player's Handbook:

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Seems legit. I still can't say it's cute, thought ;p.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited February 2015
    I agree with you @Astafas. Just look at Aerie's portrait, or Jaheira's and Viconia's BG2 portraits. They all have eye shapes similar to Elric's, in accordance with D&D lore.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited February 2015

I'm sorry but that's a bit to deep into the valley of the uncanny for me. Creeps me out just a bit.

It must be the eyes. I also find them somewhat unnerving, but the rest of the portrait is great!

But the real story is how awesome Astafa's son is! Cute kid, and must be fairly quick if he can pick up this game at that age.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    That's awesome!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Astafas said:

Also, it's amazing to see how a child still find the game so attractive, as it came out long before he was born. A lot has happened since, but a great game is still a great game :-)

My little brother loves it, and he's 8 and been playing for a few years.
    "playing"