Skip to content

Which non joinable NPC would you make joinable and why?

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
Hey everybody

Just wondering if you could give a non joinable NPC in BG2, proper voice acting, a decent backstory, a characater arc, some banters and a few quests who would it be and why?

Also please no BG1 joinable NPC's, yes we would all love to see our favorite BG1 characters in BG2, but this is not the poll for that.
  1. Which non joinable NPC would you make joinable and why?87 votes
    1. Gaelan Bayle "cause coo he's just so coo coo cool"
        2.30%
    2. Valen "NOT the Weimer mod, this would be something completely new"
        3.45%
    3. Solaufein "same as Valen, something completely new"
      26.44%
    4. Saemon Havarain "maybe just to make him go naked mind flayer hunting, no but seriously would you consider having Saeman in your party?"
        8.05%
    5. Unger Hilldark "cause Rasaad ended up not being a duergar"
        5.75%
    6. Kruin "Githyanki wild mage, with sword swinging action"
        1.15%
    7. Reyna knight of Solamnia "well there is a decided lack of female frontliners in BG2"
      12.64%
    8. Phaere "Priestess of Lolth"
        9.20%
    9. Ihtafeer "because tigers are cool"
        4.60%
    10. Other/None
      26.44%
JuliusBorisovkcwiseRavenslightBlackravenDjimmy

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Gonna go with Solaufein, because I just think he fits really well into the story, I mean a drow male who has to flee the underdark or at least flee Ust Natha, because a high ranking priestess of Lolth wants him dead, meets adventurers who spare his life and are going to the surface where all of his moon worshiping kin live, why wouldn't he at least try to join up?
    Also learning about his take on Eilistraee, would be interesting.
    kcwiseRavenslightBaldursCatDjimmy
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    I would totally make him go naked mind flayer hunting, but also, I like his voice. Plus he probably wouldn't be half bad, actually.
    wubbleSmilingSwordkcwisejorge duarte
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Knight of Solamnia! Krynn flashback to SSI games... Kender, Draconians, Flying Citadels... good times!
    JuliusBorisovwubbleBlackraven
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Everytime Id issue a command to Gaelyn Id hear 'Coo, COME WITH ME THEN'.
    JuliusBorisovRavenslightBlackravenkcwise
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    There's already a drow party member in BG2 so why not a duergar?
    Blackravenkcwise
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Balthazar.
    SmilingSwordkcwise
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Solaufein seems like a natural to me. We already get some insight into the man in our dealings with him in the Underdark, but I’d love to have him as a party member and learn more of what life was like for a male in that society.

I really enjoyed playing the Weimer mod, back in the day. I thought it was an interesting take on him. There was a time when that mod was very popular. I remember seeing cute little cartoons made by fans. One had Anomen boasting to someone in the foreground, while Solaufein was behind the bushes with the PC… Umm… proclaiming her delight in his company… Very cute :)

Still, I personally got a different vibe from him in the base game. A bit more broody and quiet. A little harder to approach. I have often wondered how the original writers would have written him as a party member and romance.
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenkcwise
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2015
    I agree that Solaufein seems to be a natural. Not only do we have actual dialogue option "You can come with me" which he sadly refuses, it can lead to an awesome karmic encounter once Phaere learns she is going to be killed by the demon. Ideal moment for Solaufein to reveal himself as the architect of her downfall :)
    Post edited by Lathlaer on
    RavenslightBlackravenkcwise
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited February 2015
    How about any of the recurring NPCs - Xzar, Monty, Faldorn, Coran, Safana, Tiax, Garrick, Quayle, or (and this might be pushing it) Khalid and Dynaheir?

Similar to what @Lathlaer said, Coran gets a choice to join, but doesn't. Now that I think about it, how many NPCs have that dialog option? Maybe all of them should come in.
    CaeriaBlackravenkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Kalah. Because he deserves a chance to prove that gnomes are not loosers.
    SmilingSwordBlackravenkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Noober is secretly a berzerker who can solo a dragon. He might be a bit overpowered for a party run. :rage:
    wubbleBlackravenkcwisehispls
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Aedan said:

Damn I hated Kalah. His death scene was so satisfying.
    wubblekcwise
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited February 2015
    Awong124 said:

Aedan said:

Damn I hated Kalah. His death scene was so satisfying.
    I always just think of him as the pantsless red guy from cow and chicken, wow he creeps me out.

I really like what unfinished business adds too his quest,
    although i never save him or his soul, because freeing a djinn from slavery seems like a more important thing to do.

Post edited by SmilingSword on
    Blackravenkcwise
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Neb and his nasty cutter. He'd be a way better evil Thief NPC than Hexxat in my opinion.
    BlackravenkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    Arkanis Gath because... -no one crosses the Shadow Thieves and lives-...

(Unless you side with Bodhi)
    kcwiseSmilingSword
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Schlumpsha, because reasons.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovMortianna
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Sime, but this choice is coloured by the absolutely brilliant fanfic I've read featuring her as one of the main protagonists.
    kcwiseBlackraven
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    How about Garren Windspear's daughter? A classic damsell in distress (kidnapped by a dragon no less!), yet so undeveloped. Could have been a romance option for male paladins as well.

I have googled to remember the girl's name and seen that I'm not the first person to think about this: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=8932.0
    kcwiseBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    I nominate that female paladin in the cleric district that Garrick is always hitting on (I forget her name). I even used to CTRL-cheat her into my party sometimes.
    Blackravenkcwise
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Hendak, because I like his character and is a good example of emancipation, first oppressed as a slave, than running an inn, but I suspect he would be far happier adventuring with charname (though the idea of a female frontliner appeals to me as well for obvious emancipatory reasons, though I hope she won't be as bossy as Jaheira).
    kcwiseAedan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    NPCs from the new content are interesting as well.

Man, I like travelling. With me in a party, you could feel the Universe.

It would be a fun party if Zaviak and Xan were there.
    NatenkcwiseSmilingSword
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Renal Bloodscalp

Because his alignment and personality would fit perfectly in my party (finally, a Lawful Evil Thief!).

I thought the voice actor, Maurice LaMarche, really brought his character to life (he also did Yoshimo's voice). I'm sure much more could have been done to further flesh out his personality and biography with a sharp and witty writer.
    JuliusBorisovSmilingSwordNatenBaldursCat
  • by_the_swordby_the_sword Member Posts: 42
    I would like to have Irenicus in my party. That would tech those elves to be more polite to me when I emerge from the underdark!
    Naten
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Lord Stinky the Buffoon (You meet him at the Nashkel Circus)\
    also, Lord Foreshadow.
    booinyoureyes