Skip to content

the most embarrassing way you have lost a fight in BG2.

As the name states, well here's mine.

Ok Elder Brain boss fight in the flayer city, this is a SCS and BP playthrough so flayers are hella scary.
So yeah I'm all buffed my CHARNAME is a thief/mage so he has all the basic melee mage spells up and mislead because why not?

Well I'll tell why not, attacking from mislead breaks invis for a millisecond and in that time the elder brain dominated CHARNAME and then CHARNAME was invis to me.
Can't kill the clone because it's locked outside, don't have time to cast anything because CHARNAME has improved haste and isn't wasting any time just standing around.
The next events happened in a time period of no more than 15 seconds. "minus the pause."
CHARNAME proceeds to 2 shot Keldorn "whack" "whack" chunked, 1 shots Aerie "whack" chunked and then Jaheira "whack".

I paused at this point, sitting in my chair mouth agape, knowing a reload was imminent, but I had to see the outcome so I unpaused and watched the carnage with some sort of bizzare fascination.

"whack" Jaheira dead, "whack" Imoen chunked and finally "whack" "whack" "whack" "whack" "whack" "whack" Minsc chunked.
Minsc was a barb in this playthrough so immune to backstabs, hence the many whacks.

After that I just kinda sat there staring at the aftermath both dumbfounded and amazed.

Anyways keen to hear your stories.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    For me it was getting several fireballs off of Club of Detonation in short succession and a REALLY bad situation. Killed almost all my party.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Really early on going to try and take out the magicians in Prebeks home. minsc and Nalia get dominated (or is it confused) and wipe out the entire party. Second time round, it happened again - Minsce and Nalia go beserk. I had the nous to dive out the door, so they didn't kill everyone ... just each other.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    My most embarrassing defeat was in Black Pits 2. First tier fight #4, the Umber Hulk Elders. I was redoing this fight after gaining HLA's, and ofc, I summoned my Planetar. Should come as no surprise, that the Planetar doesn't take it too well, when the F/M in my group gets confused and starts hitting the planetar.

I did kill all the Umber Hulks but after this the hostile Planetar proceeds to vorpal slice-n-dice everyone in my group. :smiley:
    -> Power Word:Reload
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    With HLA and decent weapons from tier 2+ you should have wrecked the planetar.

My biggest shame was certainly when I lost the fight to that BP2 vampires after my F/M got dominated while using BBoD and improved haste ( which is 10APR along with Kundane), and resisted the dispel from my inquisitor. Yeah you know, the 1% chance the spell fails even if you are supposed to have 100% with calculation. It did not work that one time. My Inquisitor was desintegrated, the rest of my team was utterly destroyed (because he also had stoneskin, go try and kill a 120 HP pal with 400 damage per round and ten stoneskin left.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Well, I just recently cast timestop while fighting Balthazar. He was immune at the time and decided to attack my Charname... That didn't end well...
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Arunsun said:

With HLA and decent weapons from tier 2+ you should have wrecked the planetar.

Well, that planetar was my only HLA actually. Only my Dragon Disciple was on a level required for HLA's, since the others were multi's and dual's. Except my monk who got him near death but he somehow insta-healed and vorpal hitted the monk right after. :neutral:
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    One of the enemies in the first test chamber of Throne of Bhaal cast Dominate Person on Sarevok, who immediately turned around and obliterated my CHARNAME with a Deathbringer Assault.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @bengoshi: I've been dealing with SCS Beholders exclusively using invisibility and summons for the past several runs of BG2. Same with Protection from Undead scrolls for vampires. It's just less of a hassle.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @DreadKhan: The Mind Flayer form gives 90% magic resistance. Chaos and Domination should be all but worthless. That's pretty bad luck you've got there!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

@DreadKhan: The Mind Flayer form gives 90% magic resistance. Chaos and Domination should be all but worthless. That's pretty bad luck you've got there!

Lets just say Aerie found a way. :expressionless:

Fortunately, so did Sarevok...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2015
    Ha! I have had the same occur when I changed the spells of the nymph to include call woodland beings and was stupid enough to lower its cast time and make it the primary spell they would cast. 1 nymph became 2 - 4 -8 -16 -32 -64 -----> oops. Video driver died.

Most embarrassing was doing the spellhold riddles in too much of a hurry at 5hp because after a decade I knew all the answers by heart (without reading the actual riddle) and I was super impatient with my solo no reload druidic sorcerer. Hey I have a ring of regeneration now.... those hp are soon back to full...... right.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    The mad cleric of cyric is to strong. Killed Charname with his annoying rants.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

the most embarrassing moment, im walking with my ward trying to keep him safe. then suddenly an armored figure, two ogres, and mercenaries appear. No matter how many times i reload, my ward runs off and i die. suggestions?

Invisibility can buy you time, can you afford a Potion of Invisibility?

Maybe level up before the fight a bit? Sounds like you're too low level for that encounter.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    DJKajuru said:

I don't know why, but being killed by kobolds in BG2 seems pretty embarassing .

Honestly not necessarily. If its an Kamikaze Kobold then you are forgiven :D