Skip to content

There's a hint that the next project for Beamdog will be NWN

Comments

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I don't think there's much to salvage in the NWN OC sadly.. Remaking the campaign in some ways could be potentially interesting I suppose.

Then there's the problem of trying to ''revitalize'' the NWN modding community, I don't think it's completely dead, but most of the currently interesting singleplayer modules seem to be active in the NWN 2 community. Also NwN 2 has Mask of the Betrayer which is a huge advantage over anything nwn 1 has(including Hotu)

There's a french module for NWN 1 called Bastard of Kosigan which I really enjoyed, but the final modules havent been translated into english yet. I'm not sure if he's going to finish it, but I still haven't completely given up hope.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I agree - the tweets posted by @bengoshi are newest.
    Anyway, while I like the idea of NWNEE, I would rather see Neverwinter Nights 3. A great single player campaign with great companions, memorable plot, deep friendship/romance/quests - give me that and I would dance naked just for you, Trent :wink:
    JuliusBorisovNonnahswriterNimran
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The strength of NWN was always the toolset, so if there was to be a NWN 3, it would have to have a great toolset over all else.
    JuliusBorisov
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

The strength of NWN was always the toolset, so if there was to be a NWN 3, it would have to have a great toolset over all else.

And unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you see it), such an endeavor would in variably be 5E.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    teleporting fighters ftw
    the_spyderJuliusBorisov
    In Diablo 1 I remember teleporting in increments all the way across the board. A friend of mine and I had races. It was quite fun.

Of course then he would charge into a room full of enemies, swinging away with his sword. I would electrocute the entire hoard (including him) with my waves of chain lightning.

Chain casting Chain lightning ftw.
    SethDavis
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Looks like @Aedan will escape from dancing naked... for now... :)
    AedanJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Althouth the tweet means there will be work on NWN by Beamdog for a while, I see the word "confirmation" as something that shows they really "made a go" for NWN this time. At least, we could read about their attempt to start the work on this project.

On the contrary, we still haven't got anything on PSTEE or IWD3 fronts. Now, the chances of these two projects have increased.
    Aedanmlnevese
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    procco said:
    Good, now Beamdog can focus on something realistic, and leave NWN3 to Sword Coast Legends.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    procco said:
    Damn it!
    Last time I danced naked for Trent, we got BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE!
    This time, it did not work. Perhaps I should ask my brazilian friend to join me in my dance...

mlnevesewubbleSharGuidesMyHand
    Fardragon said:

Good, now Beamdog can focus on something realistic, and leave NWN3 to Sword Coast Legends.

I am still not 100% convinced that Sword Coast Legends is going to be an adequate successor to NWN in any degree. From what I've seen it would appear to be more of an ARPG than an actual RPG. But that is merely my subjective opinion.

edited May 2015

Fardragon said:

I am still not 100% convinced that Sword Coast Legends is going to be an adequate successor to NWN in any degree. From what I've seen it would appear to be more of an ARPG than an actual RPG. But that is merely my subjective opinion.

ARPG is, at least to a degree, dictated by the 5th edition ruleset, which NWN3 would have to use too. A true successor would be a Pathfinder based game, I believe Obsidian have the rights to that system.

I would still rather see a non-postapocalyptic SF or superhero CRPG though.

I believe someone is looking at KOTOR2. I hope they finish it rather than just port it.
    That's kind of disappointing to hear about 5th edition, though not terribly a surprise.

KOTOR:EE (1 or 2) would be another really awesome thing to see in my book. I'd buy that for a dollar.

I tried and tried to like Freedom Force. I booted it up and started it about a dozen games. While I am a huge Superhero fan and clearly like that style of game, I just couldn't get into it. I did play (and like... don't kill me) the Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Xmen Legends games. I don't and won't play any MMOs, so Champions online is right out. What other Super Hero games are out there worth playing currently?
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    edited May 2015
    All of this talk about KOTOR makes me miss the greatest SW game of all time, Jedi Knight and the MotS expansion.... :disappointed: The mods were amazing. People created multiplayer maps of the Deathstar, complete with trash compactor, and even the Temple of Doom. You weren't supposed to be able to use skins or cheats in multiplayer unless the person with whom you were playing had the same things installed (at least in MotS), but I managed to hexedit it such that I worked around that restriction, giving my character a jet pack in multiplayer or even using an AT-ST skin. Ha ha ha ha! I'll never forget the reactions when a couple of users ran into a room only to find a giant AT-ST start to move and shoot at them. It was ridiculous and ridiculously fun. I'd love to see those ones come back, especially if they were mod friendly. Shamefully, I also modded my multiplayer characters to have absurdly high health... It was just one of the first games I brutely deconstructed and I was fascinated by looking at all of the strings and figuring out what did what. I presumed (rightly) that I could bypass the multiplayer restrictions by rearranging preexisting code since the remote users would still have it in their own game files (nothing new was added; things were just rearranged).
    elminster
    edited May 2015

That's kind of disappointing to hear about 5th edition, though not terribly a surprise.

KOTOR:EE (1 or 2) would be another really awesome thing to see in my book. I'd buy that for a dollar.

I tried and tried to like Freedom Force. I booted it up and started it about a dozen games. While I am a huge Superhero fan and clearly like that style of game, I just couldn't get into it. I did play (and like... don't kill me) the Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Xmen Legends games. I don't and won't play any MMOs, so Champions online is right out. What other Super Hero games are out there worth playing currently?

I used to play City of Heroes MMO until it shut down. I loved that. None of those other superhero games came close to being a RPG. Before that I played Golden Heroes PnP game. There is nothing else that I know of. That's why I get frustrated by the endless tide of fantasy. I don't dislike it, but there are so many other genres pretty much untouched by CRPGs.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited May 2015
    Aedan said:

@Sylvus_Moonbow Proof link, please?

@TrentOster May 20

@nivviv @Mordaedil @Henesua Sadly, just got confirmation that we can't do anything with NWN for a while.

@TrentOster May 21

@Mordaedil @nivviv @Henesua Can't really go into the details. Hopefully things can change in the future.

Fardragon said:

I used to play City of Heroes MMO until it shut down. I loved that. None of those other superhero games came close to being a RPG. Before that I played Golden Heroes PnP game. There is nothing else that I know of. That's why I get frustrated by the endless tide of fantasy. I don't dislike it, but there are so many other genres pretty much untouched by CRPGs.

Unfortunately with as popular as Super Heroes are in TV and movies these days, I would suspect that there are or will be a slew of mediocre (at best) games in that genre. Like I said, I actually liked the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, but they weren't exactly 'Good'.

I do imagine that it would be really hard to make a game like Champions (the PnP game, not the MMO) into anything "Good". Balancing would be a nightmare. But it could be loads of fun if they made something I guess.
    edited May 2015

Fardragon said:

Unfortunately with as popular as Super Heroes are in TV and movies these days, I would suspect that there are or will be a slew of mediocre (at best) games in that genre. Like I said, I actually liked the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, but they weren't exactly 'Good'.

I do imagine that it would be really hard to make a game like Champions (the PnP game, not the MMO) into anything "Good". Balancing would be a nightmare. But it could be loads of fun if they made something I guess.
    I hate balance anyway. I don't think there is a place for it in single player games. Golden Heroes had completly (and wildly) randomised character generation, and was the more interesting for it. The other RPGs I used to play - Traveller, FASA Star Trek - had random rather than balanced character generation too.

The City of Heroes system could be adapted into an infinity engine style top down single player CRPG.

The biggest mistake developers tend to make with superhero games is trying to make them look like a comic. Freedom Force and Champions Online both do this, and it is immersion-destroying.

Oh, and I think the "Arkham" games are good. They just aren't RPGs.
    I agree that the Arkham games are excellent and can't wait till the final chapter.

I also agree that balance isn't a necessity, although I suspect that we are in the minority on that opinion. Every Hero game I've seen in the last decade has had ridiculous balance such that (as for example) Daredevil could go toe to toe with Thor in a straight up fight. This is absurd on the face of it, but game developers seem to think that if they make (to switch universes for a moment) Superman capable of putting the smack down on Batman, that no one would want to ROLE PLAY Bats (what rot). But then most of these types of games are almost exclusively multi-player (mores the shame).

As with D&D style games, I think that they could make challenges that are specific to the character, thus making equal 'Game play' without it necessarily be 'Balanced'. I think that would BY FAR be more fun to play. Make places, story lines, quest points and even whole areas that are only accessible by certain characters, thus making it 'The same amount of content' without having to "Unbalance" individual characters to "Balance" the game.

But maybe that is why I am not a game developer. I'd want to make games that are fun to play, not that fit into some corporate formula. However, I am going to step down from this soap box before this gets defrayed even further from the topic.

I don't have a problem with the comic looks of these games. Though I do think that Freedom Force took that Too far and that is part of my problem with it.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    No, Trent, please

pls

Im beggin ya

Just make an Enhanced Edition of NWN so I can go back to 2005 when the multiplayer was thriving. I miss the days I spent with old friends playing these modules on populated servers:

Realms of Netheria
    Castle Defense
    Epic Arena
    Darkwood

and I can't even remember the rest because its been an entire decade. All I want is the game to be officially supported again and to have its players come back, just like old times.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
    You need a time machine for that. Simply making an enhanced edition (whatever that might mean) NWN wouldn't bring the community back.
    mlneveseelminster
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No, but we can make an equally good, new community.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2015
    Not with an old game with horrible graphics using a ruleset unfamiliar to teens.

Even NWN3 with modern ruleset, triple A budget and marketing and the most streamlined toolkit ever couldn't guarantee attracting a community. A heafty dose of luck is still required.

Don't believe Kevin Costner. If you build it they might come, if you are very lucky.
    elminster
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Fardragon said:

Not with an old game with horrible graphics using a ruleset unfamiliar to teens.

There's no need to do it, @Fardragon. You've made your point clear in one of the first comments to the OP here. There will always be people who think that a NWNEE is worth it and there will always be people who think that it is not worth it. Just like with any other product.
    Fardragon said:

Even NWN3 with modern ruleset, triple A budget and marketing and the most streamlined toolkit ever couldn't guarantee attracting a community. A heafty dose of luck is still required.

No game is a guaranteed hit. Even blockbusters can fail. And with RPG games being a niche market, even more so.

With that having been said, depending on the cost and the price point, NWN has enough name recognition and enough nostalgia that, provided it offered something that doesn't exist now, I think it could succeed.

However, the argument is academic. It looks like we won't be seeing NWN:EE any time in the next few years at least.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2015
    The problem with nostalgia is it depends on older players, and those older players who where the NWN community will have careers and families. The ones who where good probably have careers writing computer games!

You need a new lot of youngsters coming in, but this generation of teens don't play PnP DnD any more.

The thing about NWN was it was never the plan to be so dependent on the modding community. The original plan was that people would like the OC!
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2015
    Icewind Dale II and Planescape: Torment EEs before anything else.

If people can play Minecraft today, they can still play NwN1.
    NwN1 really has no need of an EE. The engine works great and the main reason you bought it was for the fan-made modules and the multiplayer on RP servers.

NwN2 needs an EE but I would rather see Obsidian making a spiritual successor with the Pathfinder license.
    Also NwN1 campaigns < NwN2 campaigns. Especially Mask of the Betrayer.

I can see Beamdog making an "official" premium module for NwN1 like Ossian Studios did, though.
    Post edited by Archaos on