Skip to content

[v2.8] Sirene, a tiefling paladin of Ilmater NPC for BG:EE and SoD

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited May 2020 in BG:EE Mods

Introduction

Sirene is a tiefling paladin of Ilmater, the Crying God, patron of endurance and martyrdom. While she is still new to her responsibilities and uncertain of herself, she is a loyal follower of her faith and devoted the protection of the innocent. At the same time, the stigma of her infernal heritage has made her a lonely and withdrawn individual who desperately seeks the comfort of friendship and trust.

She can be found and recruited outside of the Song of the Morning Temple by a PC of non-evil alignment at level 2 with a minimum of 2500 experience, though she will gain experience to match the PC at the moment of recruitment.

In Siege of Dragonspear, she can be found in the Iron Throne building.

Race: Tiefling
Class: Martyr (Paladin)
Alignment: Lawful Good

Strength: 15
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 17

Mod includes:

– One new party member with a custom kit
    – 14 friendship talks with the PC in BG1
    – A full romance in SoD for a non-evil PC with 9+ Reputation
    – Banters with every joinable NPC
    – A small encounter in SoD
    – Crossmod content

Post edited by TheArtisan on
GodKaiserHellGrammarsaladspacejawsAedanRavenslightOxvaSionIVSmilingSwordlolienJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesiakensaiCaszidySo_LoWEekanImpthelovebatelminsterGirewancorvorosso610booinyoureyesFina92SCARY_WIZARDBlackbɨrdmademan2Maurvir

Comments

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Looks like a pretty great character. Like the theme of the skills, having to weigh the option of sacrificing some benifets to buff others a bit like a berserker but aimed at buffing others instead of yourself. To encourage the use of martydom might be nice to add a protection against fear or mind control as in the target has fortified courage after seeing your sacrifice?

Also really like the stats alot of modded npc's seem to have maxed out stats and the ones for Sirene are good but not excessive.

I'll certainly give it a go when she is released. Any plans to bring her to baldurs gate 2?
    Grammarsalad
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Thank you! I am already planning the expansion to BG2, though it will be larger and more fleshed out so it won't be released any time soon, unfortunately.

I could give a morale bonus to the target, but I think Martyrdom is probably strong enough as is. There are already many clever uses that can make a second tank practically invulnerable. I won't be messing with the kit too much before I release a version 2.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Looks like a great mod!
    @Grammarsalad Thank you!

Screenshots are now being added as playtesting goes through.
    Grammarsalad
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    She looks pretty neat. :) Good luck.
    edited July 2015
    More screenshots! Greywolf and Xan this time:

I know some people dislike it when a party NPC takes over the PC's decisions, but this is perfectly in character. She will also attack you if you try and kill Prism beforehand.

Keep in mind this interjection will not trigger if you installed Isra as that mod overrides this dialogue. It happened here because I altered a global script for the sake of showing, which amusingly also caused Isra to walk away saying I stood aside when she stood around doing nothing while we killed Greywolf ¬_¬

Good old Xan. They do not get along well, at least to begin with.

Edit: aah, I realized the screenshots are fairly difficult to read because I unscaled the interface. Sorry. Opening the images in a new tab will show a slightly larger version.
    Looks alright but I must admit I'm one of those people who don't really like when someone takes decisions away from me without at least a conversation... I dunno. Sometimes it works though. :)
    JediMindTrix
    @Vyrulisse: Well, she is a paladin, so it's natural that she'd speak up when it comes to evil acts or defending the weak. Examples like that one only appear at blatantly evil moments, and some just result in her turning hostile. If people really don't like it I may just change all incidents to her leaving the party or some such.

Bumping the thread with more screenshots! Finally figured out resting dialogues.

One of the mid-point friendship talks, with an example of the optional flirting.

NPC paladins react to Sirene's presence. Since they can detect evil, though, it doesn't result in violence. This is actually helpful in one particular encounter. (guess which)
    Yeah, sometimes it works though, just depends on if it's overwhelming or not. I've played a few mods where a character would take over so many decisions it was almost like it was no longer your party. I'm not worried about this mod doing that, like you said, Paladins are never shy about speaking up and doing what's right.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Looks like a great NPC, cant wait to download this when it is ready :)
    @Madrict Thanks so much! Encouragement gives me motivation to work harder :smiley:

After much hair-pulling and shuffling through scripts (and stealing some from other mods) I think I've finally got the Dorn conflict to work as intended.

There are several options here - you can defend Sirene, defend Dorn (thus turning the other hostile) or you can let them duke it out (vanilla game style). Additionally I messed with my interface while taking these screenshots to make them more legible.
    Madrict
    edited August 2015
    I think this'll be the last update I post before releasing a playtesting version. So far, the dialogues all seem to be working and I've only got two more friendship talks to write, so I'm aiming for a release by the next two days.

Meeting the grumpy mage Thalantyr. I'm particularly fond of this exchange for some reason, I dunno why, just the bit about the 'personal insult' cracks me up.

Okay, so, there's no actual desk in sight, so I'll probably change that to something else. Just use your imaginations for now.
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Interesting! I'm probably holding off my next playthrough until SoD but when that comes out I'll definitely give Sirene a look.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Really looking forward to trying this, looks like a lot of effort has been put in. Great job! :)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Congratulation for the release!
    Musigny
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Congratulations on your release!
    Musigny
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Great to see this come forth. Can you please add a reply to this thread with more mod: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/

This will help people download and install it.
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    Congratulations for your release! :)

I had a quick look through the code and in c0sirene.baf (13. Post Candlekeep) you're using cpmvars, but you haven't added a tpa, for the variables... ;)
    Musignylolien
    @WhiteAgnus Ah, thanks for pointing that out. That's probably the result of me "borrowing" *cough*copying*cough* similar code from some other mod then being lazy and using the find and replace in Notepad++ to replace the variables. I thought I'd changed all of them but I guess I missed that one. In the process, I removed another useless script for a Viconia banter.

Fixed and updated.
    Musignylolien
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Don't be afraid of criticism when it comes to writing - it can only help you grow. Every hit you take makes you that much better in the long run. :)
    MusignyGrammarsalad
    *long sigh* New update. Again.

To any other aspiring NPC mod makers out there, this may seem stupidly obvious advice, but do read your code carefully, don't half arse it like I have. I've just come to the painful realization through testing that about four of the friendship talks either don't work as intended or just don't happen at all, stalling the dialogues indefinitely. After a lot of tedious backtracking to figure out what's wrong, I've managed to (hopefully) stamp out the issues. Probably. Apologies to any playtesters that are scratching their heads wondering wtf is going on, that was my reaction as well. Coding sucks.

On the bright side, I've learned a few valuable lessons out of all this - both of WeiDU and generally not being a lazy bum. Have a good one.
    cmorganMusignylolien
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    edited August 2015
    @Artemius_I , you are covered by the tagging as v0.beta - in an open beta, players will help you out :) Welcome to the Ancient Arcane Study of I.E. Modding; one of the coolest, most fun, most frustrating, most hair-tearing, most wildly time-consuming hobbies on the planet. Unless, of course, you consider archaeology a hobby, in which case... well, it is probably a tie!
    MusignyGrammarsaladlolien
    edited August 2015
    Two little bug reports:
    - You should append CD_STATE_NOTVALID to your State.ids, if you use it in your mod... ;)
    - You should use I_C_T2 instead of I_C_T for Davaeorn, or Sirene copys the Enemy() action from his dialogue. :p
    Musignycmorgan TheArtisanlolien
    Thanks. Fixed both, though I wish I'd known about that second bit beforehand.
    edited August 2015
    If you want know more about I_C_T, I_C_T2 and INTERJECT, you could read chapters 8.4-8.6 in the weidu documentation (http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html)

Two more little things for the next update:
    - You're using UNLESS ~25POST~ by appending the pdialog.2da you don't need this line, because 25POST is only needed for BG2/EE ;)
    - You should remove the 0 folder in your backup directory before packaging the mod (because this could lead to problems if someone installs and uninstalls your mod ;))
    lolien
    Thanks for the heads up. Fixed.
    lolien
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    not sure why the portrait works, maybe it depends on the system, but it was saved as 36 bit portrait, while it should be max 24 bit. In my game the portrait did not show. When I changed that, it started to work.

I attach the modified portrait that should work for everyone.
     TheArtisanlolien
    Thanks. I'm not sure why the portrait would work for some people but not others, but I'll add the 24 bit portrait for the next release.
    lolien
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    I have no idea, too. I always thought it just wouldn't work, and them puff - it worked everywhere else but not at my PC :P It's strange, but hey -- that's how modding in BG series is!

BTW - very interesting mod. Maybe once you finish everything for BG1EE we may write a crossmod with my White NPC.