Skip to content

The Only Poll That Matters: Are You Buying SoD?

Comments

• ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    batoor said:

Hmm does this mean every Npc in Shadows of Amn will automatically scale to lvl 12 as well then? If it was just the main character, I wouldn't mind that much, but if every single npc all of sudden scales to 12... I am not entirely happy about that.

...why not? Aside from the fact that they always scaled before, what is so bad about it?
    Or is it just the proficency points?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    batoor said:

Hmm does this mean every Npc in Shadows of Amn will automatically scale to lvl 12 as well then? If it was just the main character, I wouldn't mind that much, but if every single npc all of sudden scales to 12... I am not entirely happy about that.

npcs are based on your level, so if you are level 12 in SoA all the other pcs will be level 12 as well, for example if you were a thief character in bg1 hit level 10, then start of SoA minsc will also be level 10 in the first dungeon, and then the time you get out you will probably be around level 11 and the other pcs that join you are around level 10 or 12 when you ask for them to join you
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    It's actually an average in BG 2. There is another topic about this issue. And, there's a way to limit the effect of the 12th level. Pick up Wilson from Rasaad's quest (he's still level 9 when you are 12), and make sure only he and your level 12 PC are in the party when you pick up other NPCs. In Mazzy's case that will give you her Lvl 9 variant.

Another way, if you're against mods but don't mind using the cheats, is to mind control a low level NPC (CTRL Q), like a guard from the Copper Coronet. They are only level 2, I believe, so that should drop your average enough to get people at their lowest. The only two characters you can't keep artificially low without a mod are Jaheira and Minsc since their level is set by your PC when you enter the game.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I suggested a tie in campaign a long time ago. For those of us who don't mod at all, this is a big deal.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    but if you pick up characters at level 12 they will have more HP than they were when they were level 8 or 9
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    batoor said:

It's only level 12 if you are a thief, bard, or druid.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Well yes but of course, I'm not deranged.
    Alexisisinneed
  • TolkienBardTolkienBard Member Posts: 13
    For me, pre-ordering this game is a complete no-brainer. I have fully supported Beamdog's efforts to revive interest in the BG (and IWD) franchise of games. I intend to keep doing so. It's only through supporting efforts like this that we get to finally see new content in our favourite CRPGs. Nothing being released these days holds a candle to the epicness that was BGII+TOB. I have to support any efforts to bring that community back to the forefront. Hopefully this completely original expansion arrives without delay and is well-received. Maybe then we can all look forward to yet more adventures related to the storyline.

With NWN and NWN2 all but dead and buried, I find there just isn't enough BG awesomeness to go around.
    Silverstar
  • PhooeyPhooey Member Posts: 17
    I don't preorder games. To be honest I don't buy games until they go on sale on Steam.

BUT, this is different. Baldurs Gate I/II were THE games of my video game past. No other video game comes close. I usually play BG II every year, but have been holding off on a new playthrough ever since whispers of Adventure Y surfaced.

Day 1 preorder purchase, then I'm going to play from start to finish, BG I > Dragonspear > BG II.

I'll pay full price and hope for massive sales in the hopes of BG II getting the Adventure Y treatment. I've always felt that, after defeating Irenicus and waking up in Suldanessar/talking with the queen, would be a perfect place to start an adventure/expansion. The elven city just screams to be the center of a TOTSC like expansion in my opinion.

The start of TOB with the infodump about armies massing and battles happening between bhaalspawn would take awhile to explode, and the time could be used to send the PC on an adventure.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I'll pre-order when the release date is announced.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Pre-order if possible.
    JuliusBorisov
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    mmmm.... now? What about now?...... Now?...... Please? Pretty please?
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    I'm dyin' for more info over here... just a smidge? :P
    JuliusBorisov
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Pre-order if possible.

For a moment I kept reading that f as s.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2015
    "Waiting to hear reviews/feedback as to SoD's quality"

I am cautiously optimistic.

Unlike others that are certain of beamddog's infallibility, Threads like "The tragedy of Hexxat" were really eye opening for me.

The only thing i am 100% of i will not buying is IWD2:EE

That was an abortion of a game i do not intend to repeat playing that ever again.
    Flashburn
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Woah, wait-- people bashing her for no reason? I need my morning supplement of hilarity and failed reasoning, please supply me with a link!
    edited August 2015

Unlike others that are certain of beamddog's infallibility, Threads like "The tragedy of Hexxat" were really eye opening for me.

So did you see an opinion/analysis and decide to adopt it as your own or did you actually experience 'The tragedy of Hexxat'?

Edit: That thread 0.-
    Post edited by JediMindTrix on
    The Hexxat story arc is horribly railroaded, but so is some of the original (poison quest, whole of ToB). It's still better than most of what passes for computer games these days.
    jamoecw
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Fardragon said:

The Hexxat story arc is horribly railroaded, but so is some of the original (poison quest, whole of ToB). It's still better than most of what passes for computer games these days.

Not by a long shot, and certainly not by the standards established by BioWare. That said, I'd rather this didn't turn into another Hexxat debate thread - let us simply acknowledge that, at the very least, Beamdog's circumstances are different now, and it's within the realm of possibility that they might do better this time.

(Which isn't to say they shouldn't do something about Hexxat, because really, they have all the tools they need to smooth out the wrinkles, and most fans want to like her. But that's neither here nor there.)
    Nonnahswriter
    The millions of trivial "kill X goats" quests in DAI destroyed Bioware's credibility in the storytelling department.
    JediMindTrix
    I watched Chris Avellone's interview, whose writing I respect in general, and he seemed impressed/satisfied, and that's good enough for me. I've never been disappointed by anything he's worked on and I think if it sucked, he'd say so (since it isn't his game)
    JuliusBorisovshawnejamoecw
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Fardragon said:

The millions of trivial "kill X goats" quests in DAI destroyed Bioware's credibility in the storytelling department.

Not where characters are concerned - companions like Iron Bull, Varric, Cassandra and Dorian are almost universally adored, and with good reason.
    cmk24
    edited August 2015
    shawne said:

Fardragon said:

Not where characters are concerned - companions like Iron Bull, Varric, Cassandra and Dorian are almost universally adored, and with good reason.
    Universally? Certainly not, you don't have to look far around the internet to see DAI totally slated.

Personally, I thought the main characters and quest where quite well done, but that didn't come close to making up for the vast number of dreadful sidequests. You can't call yourself a good writer of story driven computer games when you include all that lazy crud.
  • QuarfrynQuarfryn Member Posts: 3
    I'll buy this instantly once it appears @gog.com
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I think that a discussion about DAI, if continued here, would be too much off-topic. We have a topic for DAI, you know? https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29470/dragon-age-inquisition

So did you see an opinion/analysis and decide to adopt it as your own or did you actually experience 'The tragedy of Hexxat'?

Edit: That thread 0.-
    here you go

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/28102/the-tragedy-of-hexxat/p1

Valanar
    After Watching the interview with Chris Avellone on Matt Chat

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42678/new-chris-avellone-siege-of-dragonspear-interview-with-matt-chat

I am A LOT more excited now, may even pre-order it if i can scrape some funds together.
    JediMindTrix
  • steelchasersteelchaser Member Posts: 72
    As soon as I am certain of a Mac version for my laptop
    I will buy/preorder