Skip to content

Help me decide on a new pet.

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Hey everybody

I have had cats, dogs, snakes, fish, scorpions, lizards, frogs, toads, terrapin, a tortoise and a micro pig as pets in the past. Now I don't have anything and it's doing my head in. Had to give up Scruppy, my pig in the beginning of the year because of Indians. I run a student house for my parents when I'm not at work and they rented the back house out to Indians. Apparently Hindu's can't live on the same property as swine.

I live in South Africa in the Eastern Cape so anything remotely interesting is illegal to keep as a pet. This isn't really a problem, it just makes it very expensive and hard to find a decent breeder. Also there is the constant worry of environmental people finding out fineing you and killing your pet. This almost never happens, but it is a possibility. I'm a cat person at heart, but my sister lives on the same property as me in a different house and she has cats "that live in my house." I don't want to get a kitten because her cats are two of the lamest cats I've ever met and they would probably teach the kitten to be lame too. Oh also I don't like dogs very much.

Anyways all suggestions are welcome. I want something fairly intelligent, not just a show piece, something that I can chill with. Also I can't get any big lizards, that would want to roam the backyard because the students would all freak out and leave, so no rock monitors or tegu or anything like that.
  1. Help me decide on a new pet.18 votes
    1. Ferret: Illegal
        5.56%
    2. Sugar Gliders: Illegal
        5.56%
    3. Cape Genet: I'm not sure of the legality, but they are local and not endangered. So it could be a possibility
        5.56%
    4. Hedgehog: not sure if they are legal or not. I have heard conflicting stories.
      16.67%
    5. Emerald Boa: Legal.
        0.00%
    6. Leapord Geckos: Legal, cute but boring.
        0.00%
    7. Blue Tongue Skink: Legal
        5.56%
    8. Other
      61.11%
JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]CaloNordCrevsDaak

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    iKrivetko said:

ARMADILLO

Aren't they smelly?
    booinyoureyes
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    iKrivetko said:

iKrivetko said:

ARMADILLO

Aren't they smelly?
    Who cares, they are bulletproof.
    That is true
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited August 2015
    Edit: original reply not PC.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I would have said ferret, but if it's illegal, then probably not a good idea. I do like the word 'skink', though.
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Tiger Shark
    KamigoroshielminsterbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Rats are awesome pets.

They get very tame and mine used to crawl up and sit on my shoulder. They are highly intelligent and very social.
    NimranNecomancerTeflonJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    In the interests of actually being helpful, the cape genet looks interesting. I would warn against having anything to exotic as a pet, especial something that could be damaging to the enviroment. Even something as harmless as a cat is technically invasive; house cats are responsible for the deaths of a great number of endangered birds every year. They have a hard time knowing which is which. My cats, of course, will have nothing to do with the outdoors and are completely blameless:P

I've never heard of a genet before, but they look like raccoon cats, so I'm all for that, if you think you can manage that. I would also warn against anything that isn't really domesticated. People can dig themselves into holes they can't get out of getting pets that are really wild animals. Especially ones that are cute as Cubs but not so much as adults. Nature deserves more respect that a lot of people give it nowadays. People getting things like baby big cats, bears, or monkeys/apes is a real problem in some places. I'm gonna go ahead and tag @Tresset on this one too.
    JuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Because they're cute and have an awesome name.
    TeflonSmilingSword
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    So you don't interested in winged one? I have had canary and it was cute.
    By the way what is terrapin? :smile:
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Teflon said:

By the way what is terrapin? :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamondback_terrapin I think
    Teflon
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I don't think pet choosing is the kind of thing you should refer to a bunch of internet for.

As for...

Also there is the constant worry of environmental people finding out fineing you and killing your pet.

...That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in your animal care skills.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    wubble said:

I can't believe no one has said miniature giant space hamster yet.

I got a miniature (dwarf) hamster with a giant heart, but I'm not sure if she is from space or not...
    wubbleJuliusBorisov
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Leopard heckos are only as boring as all other reptiles :(
    SmilingSword
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    GOTTA GO FAST!
    SmilingSword
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    While I am always for the subjugation/enslavement of all ferrets everywhere, I do believe that hedgehogs have a certain coolness about them that other animals just can't manage. The spikes make them seem unwelcoming but in reality they are all laid back and chill.

TeflonSionIVJuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I have 4 cats and I love them all
    Get another cat
    meaglothSmilingSword
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Chinchilla! Chinchilla!

They are cute, social and curious they don't take up much space and can be a lot of fun when on the loose. They are rodents so they can be a little jumpy and you'll need to earn their trust. They are illegal here but I've always wanted one. And above all, as far as I know their poop doesn't smell neither does their urine as far as I can find out. but seriously, get me one too?

NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovSmilingSwordTeflon
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Chinch'es are cute (I call Chinchillas Chinches…) too.
    CaloNordJuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Fox squirrels are cool but they aren't native of your country or that part of the world.