Skip to content

First video game you ever played (or the earliest you can remember playing)

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    VallmyrJuliusBorisov
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    kcwise said:

The first arcade game I can really remember playing was a Star Wars game in the arcades. You could sit in a cockpit and shoot at little wire frame tie fighters. I was a kid and not particularly good at it, but it was really fun.

I had that on the Atari! :D I love how the TIE fighters fly past you, and shoot slow moving "fireballs" from rear-facing turrets that are big (and slow) enough for you to destroy, rather than using their forward firing lasers to shoot you from behind. XD

I played it before I saw the film, so I had no idea what was meant by "Red Five standing by!", "look at the size of that thing!", and "great shot, kid, that was one in a million!".
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798

TheElf said:

I played a lot of Zelda and punch-out as a tiny kid.

Well elves are tiny, aren't they? n_n
    In LoTR we're taller than you silly hunams, and more graceful too. :neutral:
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited August 2015
    TheElf said:

TheElf said:

I played a lot of Zelda and punch-out as a tiny kid.

Well elves are tiny, aren't they? n_n
    In LoTR we're taller than you silly hunams, and more graceful too. :neutral:
    Them dirty hunams and their shortness! Sorry, THOSE dirty hunams, my manner of speech shone through.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The first game I remember playing was a tennis game I programmed in BASIC on my Apple ][. No graphics, you chose a stroke via text (backhand, forehand, overhead smash). It was a programming exercise in a book.

My first arcade style game was a Star Wars game on the Apple ][ that required rebooting into integer basic to load.

My first CRPG was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. :naughty:

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This is the thing I remember when start thinking about first video-game experience for me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendy_(console)

The first game I played with that console was Mortal Kombat :)
    kcwise[Deleted User]
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Super Mario Brothers arcade game. My brother and I would beg quarters off my grandma and then walk down to the convenience store and play for as long as we could. Mostly he played and I cheered. I think a few months later my folks got us a Nintendo.
    elminsterkcwise
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2015
    Either Pac-Man, Oregon Trail or Asteroids. First video *RPG*-> Sword of Vermillion. Heh, I still have that one kicking around somewhere.
    elminsterkcwise
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Space Invaders in a movie theatre. (Arcades came Way later). I had Pong on some cheap knock-off/ripoff console, along with Tennis and a "shoot the dot" light gun game.
    kcwiseTeflon
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I remember a side scrolling platform shooter on the SNES. No idea about the name. I would have been less than 6 years old.
    kcwiseTeflon
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited August 2015
    I was playing pinball with my older brothers when someone came into the pizza parlor and tried to explain to us what playing space invaders was like :)

From arcade machines, I went to the Atari 2600 (just called an Atari back then) and played most of the old standbys there.

The first RPG-like game I played was Zork - golden age of text adventures!

And the first roll your stats, D&D clone dungeon crawl I played was Temple of Apshai. Came on 2 cassettes for my C64. Character generation took a few minutes to load, then there was about a 20 minute load time to enter the dungeon. I was hooked :)

elminsterAstroBryGuyTeflonJuliusBorisov
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    kcwise said:

The first arcade game I can really remember playing was a Star Wars game in the arcades. You could sit in a cockpit and shoot at little wire frame tie fighters. I was a kid and not particularly good at it, but it was really fun.

I totally rocked that game (probably because I spent more quarters on it than it would have taken to buy the machine itself). I loved it.

I also spent days at a time playing both Gauntlet and Dragons lair.

With the original Gauntlet I eventually got to the point where it was impossible to lose health. Elf with extra speed and extra shot power was unstoppable. Throw in Extra mana potion and there wasn't a board where I wasn't gaining thousands of health every board. Then they changed the pathing in Gauntlet 2 and you couldn't do that anymore.

As a teenage boy, I considered it my honor bound duty to 'Rescue' Princess Daphny from the dragon.
    kcwiseTeflon
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The one game I remember most was SINISTAR! Who could forget those taunts, and "I LIVE!" "RUN, COWARD, RUN!" "RUN RUN RUN!"
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    Baldur's Gate I learned how to read in polish and I remember having nightmares about the armored figure after Gorion being killed , I was 6 at that time. I also remember that I accidently made an ankegh armour and found the wand of summoning and my older cousin who was 12 y/o at the time was so jealous because a six year old did something he couldn't :tongue:
    elminsterFinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Mario and/or Tetris on the Gameboy. Or possibly Duck Hunt on my mate's NES... not certain really.
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    Star Control, I think. I mostly watched my older brother play, though.

The first one I bought (with the little money I had been saving) was Heroes of Might & Magic 2. No other game has given so much pleasure (I mean, the simple act of buying it), it's like those odd kobold gold coins you hoard until you have enough to buy that precious item. It was an adventure in itself.
    JuliusBorisovelminster
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2015
    Pong and mind sweeper on PC.

Edit, thats not counting arcade games.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bengoshi said:

This is the thing I remember when start thinking about first video-game experience for me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendy_(console)

The first game I played with that console was Mortal Kombat :)

I'd never even thought about there being a nintendo clone for a console in the soviet union/russia. Neat. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov