Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Although I don't think finding ToB anti-Climactic counts as an unpopular opinion!

I've finished it a couple times, but really I sort of Peter out at that point. But I gather that is common!
    BelgarathMTHMalicron
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    The underdark iss actually my favorite part of bg2... So many Drow females...

Plus, Viconia actually shows a hinge of jealousy if you're romancing her.
    SmilingSwordQuartz
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2015
    Unpopular opinion number.... uh, what number were we up to? This thread needs to become another one of those silly numbered list threads to realize its full potential, in agreement with @Alesia_BH .

So, uh, where was I? Well, I'll just arbitrarily guess that this one is about number 30, unless some kind forumite will come along behind me and actually organize this mess into a nice, neat ordered list of all the "unpopular opinions" expressed thus far - heck, I actually spent an entire four-hour afternoon of my life once creating a glossary of game acronyms over at the old Bioware forums, so maybe somebody else will do that for this thread as far as the numbers....

Ahem, I'm rambling.

Unpopular opinion number .... da DAH, da DAH, .... ummm..... 30:

30) I think dark elves are overrated and ridiculous as a story concept. I've never used Viconia in any of my games. I have no interest in using Viconia in any of my games. I couldn't care less about Drizzt, the novels about him, or his fracking scimitars. I help him defeat the gnolls in my BG1 games because I always play good alignment, and that's the end of it. Dark elves, Schmark elves. I honestly don't get the appeal. I think they're a misandrystic race that only exists in the Forgotten Realms for some kind of misguided fan service. Bleagh.

"Male, get me something to eat!" Puh-leeze. What would be the reaction if some fictional male character actually said in a game, "Female, get me something to eat!" Honestly, some people!
    atcDaveFinneousPJJuliusBorisovGrum
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Someone add this as an option into Unfinished Business, or make a Post-Spellhold Imoen-be-gone mod, and replace her with Alora.

and replace her with Alora.

Alora.

Alora

YEEEEEESSSSSSS
    BlackravenQuartz
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    33. There should be more exploits in games.

34. There needs to be more fanservice in BG2.
    BelgarathMTHDJKajuruJuliusBorisov

33. There should be more exploits in games.

34. There needs to be more fanservice in BG2.

Viconia shower scene, it needs to happen!
    semiticgoddessNimranSmilingSwordQuartz
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Francois said:

-Invokers, conjurors and necromancers are a waste of wizards. Never waste time specializing in what you can achieve with a suffusion of wands or in what a cleric can do better. Enchantment and illusion are what real wizards do.

Francois said:

necromancers are a waste of wizards.

We can't be friends anymore.
    JuliusBorisovGrumDragonspearQuartz
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    -RPG don't need romances, but Aire romance is the best one.
    -D&D level progression should stop at level 10. Above that: special feats, divine favours or just strategy.
    -The mad cleric Tiax should have been a joinable npc in BG2. His quests would be around the conflict between Cyric and Bhaal. After ToB he ascends as a semi-god and kicks your arse.
    -Jaheira should have been killed, not Khalid. Or both. I also feel a bit dirty about her romance.
    -I don't like Dorn. I find him deeply disturbing (that's the point, I guess). It doesn't help I had sex with him while playing as a male gnome. Visualizing that almost gave me nightmares.

Well, don't know if they are really that unpopular.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovGrumBaptor
    edited August 2015
    Francois said:

-
    -Invokers, conjurors and necromancers are a waste of wizards. Never waste time specializing in what you can achieve with a suffusion of wands or in what a cleric can do better. Enchantment and illusion are what real wizards do.

Francois said:

--Dragons are not that interesting

We can never be friends now!

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @Vallmyr - Semi-Confirmed that SapphireIce101 likes Alora more than Imoen? Well, technically confirmed now, right? :P

Since mod NPCs have been added to this discussion...

- I don't like Kelsey, infact, I'd rather have Adrian in my party. All day, everyday.

- I think Tsujatha is actually kind of okay.

- I don't think the Imoen Romance mod is incest.

- I kind of wish Khalid were still alive in BG2, and I tried to play with the Khalid mod, but...it wasn't exactly translated into English very well.
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisovmashedtatersAlexisisinneed
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    jscohen said:

32) I like Tashia better than Kelsey.

I haven't done Kelsey myself, but Tashia herself desperately needs voice-acted lines. All she's got is a soundset, but none of her actual dialogue is voiced. Maybe Isra spoiled me, but I now kind of expect a few voiced lines to really consider a mod NPC grade A material.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452

We can never be friends now!

Well I like the fairy dragon in Resurrection Gorge. Does that count?
    semiticgoddessBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015

Minsc is bad, everything about him is bad, his stats are bad, his class is bad, his proficiences are bad, his entire character and the Boo shtick is bad, Boo himself is bad(takes up a quickslot), he is so bad that even his girlfriend is bad.

Jan is also bad.

Multiclassing beats dualclassing every time.

Ranger/Cleric is overrated, and if you restore the druid spells via the .ini that's basically cheating.

Imoen is essentially the best NPC in the game.

Irenicus is not the greatest villain in the history of videogames. He's probably not even in Top 10.

Romances in videogames are a waste of time and resources. The only videogame that did romance well was King's Bounty: The Legend.

Baldur's Gate games are not a proper cRPG, they're dungeon crawlers that do a good job pretending.

Baldur's Gate is better than Baldur's Gate II.

Pillars of Eternity was a joke(like all the other spiritual sequels, reboots, and re-imaginings)

Multi classing beats dualclassing every time.

Jan - Multi-class
    Imoen - Dual-class

Jan -> Imoen.

This is in your own words, and i have to say i do agree, Jan is better than Imoen. :wink:
    JuliusBorisovGrumQuartzmashedtaters
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    SionIV said:

scriver said:

Nope! But I would not rate it as particularly good from an RPG standpoint either.

This might be a little bit of topic, but could you explain? Planescape: Torment is one of the true RPGs out there. Your choices make a difference, tons of different dialogues depending on your attributes, party members and even choices earlier on in the game. There are many consequences, especially when you take into consideration the different factions. Your alignment changes depending on your actions, if you keep flirting with zombies in the mortuary you'll gain points towards chaotic. The game is brilliant and one of the true RPGs out there, it even puts Fallout to shame.

It is possible to complete the entire game without killing a single person.
    I agree with everything you said. It's a great game from a narrative standpoint. It is one of my very top gaming experiences. But it's greatness in plot and setting does not have an equivalent great rpg potential and I never felt as if different roles mattered very much. I will admit to using the wrong phrasing in my quote above as I wanted to echo my first post and it came off as if I think PS:T is bad from an RPG standpoint, when I really feel it's just not great from an RPG point of view.

And it may be possible to complete the entire game without killing a single plot-related person, but I highly doubt anyone could complete the game without killing a single thing given that the game is absolutely stuffed to the brim with filler combat.

It still better in the RPG aspect relatively to the BG games though ;)
    SionIVJuliusBorisov
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117

I haven't done Kelsey myself, but Tashia herself desperately needs voice-acted lines. All she's got is a soundset, but none of her actual dialogue is voiced. Maybe Isra spoiled me, but I now kind of expect a few voiced lines to really consider a mod NPC grade A material.

Isra is awesome, that's not an unpopular opinion!

Tashia is a product of a different time, and her soundset isn't the only element of the mod whose design is a little rough by modern standards. I've always liked her character and her storyline, though; some of the themes in it remind me of Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages trilogy.
    Oh I've got a good one...

- Having an injured warrior drink a healing potion during combat is generally a bad idea.
    Circumstances can vary (that's the fun of the game!). But even though healing spells are slow to cast, its usually better to have a cleric cast healing magic on a warrior than have him waste an action drinking a potion. The warrior likely has a much better damage per action than the cleric does, and its not a good use of his/her time to waste an action drinking a potion. Obviously this can vary if the warrior needs immediate healing, or if the cleric has something clearly more important to do.
    But in melee I most often prefer to keep my damage dealers dealing damage, while my support characters provide support.
    SionIVJuliusBorisovlolienmashedtaters
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @atcDave: Er... I do kind of agree, but I'm almost certain that's not how actions per round works. You can definitely drink potions and attack on the same round. Now, when it comes to using other potions, like a potion of magic blocking, then that's a different matter.
    FlashburnJuliusBorisovlolienQuartz
    The first potion might be a freebie, but a second definitely is not.
    JuliusBorisov