Skip to content

Heya, it's me Cortana!

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
... Uhm... Where's Imoen?

Would you like to check out my features?

What!?! No! I mean yes! I mean maybe... Look my foster fathers just died in an amb-.

Ask me what the weather will be.

... We are outside... Its Sunny. Are y-

"Sunny" by Bobby Hebb. Would you like me to play it?

... So your a Bard... That explains everyth-

Ask me a Joke.

... A jester. Great.

As a free upgrade, Windows 10 is going to make BG:EE, BG2:EE and IWD:EE unplayable on your chipset.

?!? Now your just being looney... I'm leaving....

*Cortana casts slow*

*Cortana casts slow*

*Cortana casts slow*

N--o--o--o--o-o-o-o-o!

*Anduin runs away at a slower than snail pace*
JuliusBorisovQbertronaldowoowoovoodooBelgarathMTH[Deleted User]SmilingSwordlolienTroodon80YupImMadBro

Comments

• AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Just buy a macbook.
    meagloth
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'm really with @BelgarathMTH as of this post - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/670638#Comment_670638 - on the topic.

This thread is making me glad that I rejected Windows 10 on sight for my Windows 8.1 computer.

"Even my newly purchased WIndows 8.1 computer, after I tried and rejected its included "free upgrade" to Windows 10, after about ten minutes of seeing that it was not compatible with my new computer's graphics card interfacing with my HDTV, is trying to throw Microsoft Network (MSN) in my face, at full screen, with no visible means of closing it. Thank the gods I know how to get it off my screen and out of my face by pressing alt-F4, because it wants to hide *all* of my computer controls and force me to spend time with it trying to get control of my computer back. "

Think about making a villain called Microsoft...
    lolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Mistress Microsoft... Lures you in, before putting out your eyes with a needle and silken thread...
    lolien
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I managed to get BGEE working on Windows 10. It does something whacky to file access permissions, so the game can't write to the disk, but going through the local group set up seems to fix it.

The problem is more to do with the upgrade process than Windows 10 itself, which is just a cross between Windows 7 and iOS.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Anduin said:

Mistress Microsoft... Lures you in, before putting out your eyes with a needle and silken thread...

Well that escalated quickly.
    Almateria said:

Just buy a macbook.

Just buy Linux.

Oh, wait... ;-)
    [Deleted User]FinneousPJlolienAnduin
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Almateria said:

Just buy a macbook.

HAHAHAhahahahahahaha

Wait you weren't being serious were you?

Because if you were being serious, you're being silly Mac is horribly overpriced and extremely weak hardware wise. The OS is ok to work with and even nice for 2 design "if you keep your file sizes small." I had to work on Mac for 3 yrs while studying 3D and the difference between my home PC and the Mac at college was immense. A render that would take 20 min on the Mac, would take 30 sec on my PC and it's not like my PC cost that much more than the mac, it was something like $200 dollars more, I did the price check. Mac is not very customizable, it's overpriced, it uses weak hardware, it's overpriced, it tries to charge you a arm and a leg to upgrade it's weak hardware, it's overpriced and you can't really game on it.

Besides 2D design work and maybe some audio stuff, I don't understand why people use Mac. A PC can do anything a Mac can do and do it better and faster.

People are gonna start going on about viruses, but just get a antivirus program and keep it up to date. Even the free avast will keep you safe for the most part. If you don't specifically tell it to install something dodgy and then ignore it's warnings.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    People use a mac because they want to be a guy who uses a mac. The no viruses stuff just isn't true.
    SmilingSwordTroodon80
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2015
    For the record, my MacBook Air runs many processes considerably (edit: considerably faster is what that was supposed to say) than my custom-built PC--and the MacBook Air was cheaper and didn't have to be assembled from scratch. Like anything else, the speed at which a computer will accomplish a task depends entirely on the task and the hardware. If you're trying to render an HD video on a MacBook Air, you're going to have a bad time because that's not what it's designed for, just like if you try to render that same video on a barebones PC with no graphics card.

Programs built from the ground up to work on Mac typically run much faster than programs built for Windows and then ported to Mac, because they're designed to take advantage of the hardware Apple has specified. Affinity Photo, for example, runs smooth as silk on a MacBook Air, whereas Adobe's Photoshop frequently brings both my MacBook Air and my desktop PC to a grinding halt.

The Unreal Engine runs a lot better on Windows than on Mac, largely because it was built for Windows first. I imagine that if the same engine were built from the ground up to run on Mac, it would offer the same performance boosts that Affinity Photo does.

That being said, let's not turn this thread into a Mac vs PC argument. There are perfectly valid reasons for preferring either platform, and the "PC Master Race" stance I see elsewhere on the internet frequently borders on antagonism. So just don't.
    lolienTroodon80mlnevesemeagloth
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I have to say I am really enjoying Windows 10 on my Notebook. It's quite faster than the previous Windows 8.1 installation. I literally could turn on the computer and go to the kitchen make some coffee while the computer was booting with Windows 8. Now the boot process is over in less than a minute.

Of course there are rough edges, mainly in the drivers department. I related a problem I had with the EE games in another thread, although I found a pretty simple solution (Windows was not dealing well with scaling a high DPS display, just had to turn in off in compatibility options).

The current AMD drivers, for instance do not like it when I put my notebook to sleep and will crash a short time after wake up, so I just shut down the computer when I'm not going to use it for a time.

Concerning the Windows x Mac debate, I just like them both. Both have positive and negative sides and you should just use whatever you feel most comfortable with. At home I have Windows machine and my wife has a Mac, no fights whatsoever :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Mac laptops are consistently rated some of the best in the business, and there are significantly less viruses and malware targeted to mac software.

I hated windows 8 and am not looking forward to seeing what they did with win 10.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    See, all this is why I just made a deal with lovecraftian style elder gods to have a computer build out of the flesh and souls of the damned and an OS powered by the souls of unborn babies. Its rea-Wait. Dammit I'll get back to this topic later. My OS is demanding more pictures of fuzzy bunnies.
    mlneveseKamigoroshilolien
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

See, all this is why I just made a deal with lovecraftian style elder gods to have a computer build out of the flesh and souls of the damned and an OS powered by the souls of unborn babies. Its rea-Wait. Dammit I'll get back to this topic later. My OS is demanding more pictures of fuzzy bunnies.

And that, people, is why you should never trust your everyday computer to Cthubuntulhu.
    mlneveseAstroBryGuylolien
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bengoshi said:

This thread is making me glad that I rejected Windows 10 on sight for my Windows 8.1 computer.

Wow, that is amazing. I didn't think that ANYTHING could be worse than Win8 (well, OK, Vista and Millennium but you know what I mean).
    bengoshi said:

Think about making a villain called Microsoft...

LOL. I'm sure it's been done before but I'd sign up to play THAT game. Particularly if you got a really good satisfying death scene once you defeated the boss. Oh, and you could make one of the Interim bosses named 'Fox'.
    mlneveselolien

bengoshi said:

Wow, that is amazing. I didn't think that ANYTHING could be worse than Win8 (well, OK, Vista and Millennium but you know what I mean).

Why did you remind me that Windows ME once existed? :disappointed:
    the_spyder
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Dee said:

That being said, let's not turn this thread into a Mac vs PC argument. There are perfectly valid reasons for preferring either platform, and the "PC Master Race" stance I see elsewhere on the internet frequently borders on antagonism. So just don't.

I agree, the Apple should just be burned down to the ground. End of story.
    Sorry, Dee. But you knew I'd have to say that :D
    mlneveseSmilingSwordSethDavis
    Agreed, but the Big Apple.
    Dee said:

And that, people, is why you should never trust your everyday computer to Cthubuntulhu.

I see what you did there.
    Anduinmlneveselolien
    So we are saying that Cortana is the next Nobber?
    Thank you @Troodon80 I can't believe I missed that... However Cthubuntulhu is now what I am running my infinity engine games on... So be nice...

I reinstalled Win 10 as it appears you can force install old drivers. Just need to figure out how to stop Win 10 REINSTALLING the crap one it comes with onto my machine.

As soon as I figure it out, I will make a thread...
    mlneveseTroodon80lolien
    @Anduin Did you check for new drivers? Windows Device Manager's option to check the internet for new drivers actually work now.
    mlnevese said:

... actually work now.

I am continually amazed how many times this phrase appears, usually months (sometimes years) after any Microsoft launch.
    mlnevese
    Anduin said:

However Cthubuntulhu is now what I am running my infinity engine games on... So be nice...

While Ubuntu isn't my favourite distribution, I'd take it over Windows 8 any day. I have Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mint, and Manjaro, along with Windows Vista, 7, and 10.

I'm still not entirely sure about Windows 10, even with the amount of testing I have done on it. It's jarring going from 7 to 10 and back again. And not in a way where I would think "Wow, Windows 10 made my life so much easier!"

While I would consider Windows 10 less disjointed/schizophrenic than 8—a lot of settings have been consolidated under PC Settings, for example, rather than being split between PC Settings and Control Panel (even though there is still a split for more advanced settings). Other things have been refined as well—I'm still going to keep Windows 7, Vista, and Ubuntu/Mint for my day to day stuff.
    lolien

mlnevese said:

... actually work now.

I am continually amazed how many times this phrase appears, usually months (sometimes years) after any Microsoft launch.
    Wish you'd hear the same for linuxes, huh?
    Okay... @mlnevese I have checked for drivers. My chip has not been given a new driver since Win 7...

Now... oddly, BG:EE is working on my machine using Win 10. I have no explanation apart from perhaps fixing another problem of side by side configuration issues. AFTER LENGTHY AND UNREWARDING READING, I learnt I had to uninstall visual c++ and .NET framework... Yes Win 10 sucks that bad that I am uninstalling programmes that I did not know existed! But I will not give in and I am unbowed! Onward to victory!
    mlneveselolienJuliusBorisov
    Also Win 10 is updating daily... I think it is riddled in bugs and Microsoft know it.
    lolien
    edited September 2015
    Anduin said:

I think (Win 10) is riddled in bugs

Isn't this redundant?

Edit: for clarity.
    Post edited by the_spyder on
    Also to save games on win 10 you need to run the baldur.exe as administrator.
    lolien
    @Anduin actually that is a bug in Windows 10. Remove the read-only flag from your documents :)
    Anduin
    But... But I have thousands of Documents @mlnevese !!!