Skip to content

Help me out, please: an excess of reputation

So, I'm in a bit of a bind here. My reputation is 17. My party consists of Charname, Dorn, Viconia, Imoen and Baeloth. I just let Neera go, because I intend to get both Minsc and Dynaheir. I am in Nashkel.

I tried to leave Dorn and replace him with Minsc, but the problem is, the moment Dorn leaves, my reputation jumps to 19, so Viconia and Baeloth both leave. Baeloth actually asks to rejoin, at which point my reputation drops back to 17, but Viconia has already left (and disappeared!) at that point. Apparently, there's no way to juggle this without losing Viconia for good. Or at least, I didn't find a way.

I tried stealing. Two guards were called. I killed them. My reputation plummeted to 3. I don't want that.

So, is there a way of losing a couple of reputation points so that I can ditch Dorn without losing Viconia?

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yes, get caught stealing in Baldur's Gate or Beregost (shoplift or open a container owned by someone else; do not pickpocket) and say anything to the Flaming Fists that arrive. You will lose 1 point of reputation. Note that this stops working if your reputation is 8 or lower.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Thank you so much! Will try that.
    edited October 2015
    @Jalily: But the Flaming Fists attack me (regardless of what I say, apparently). Killing one of them costs me 9 additional reputation points.
    Oh. Running away is apparently an option. They don't seem to follow. I suppose it works, then...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Unfortunately, punching people unconscious doesn't lower reputation as I remembered it doing, but an easy and rather, uhh, evil alternative is to go in people's houses and randomly kill the poor unsuspecting targets. It lowers the reputation, and you have "commoner number 24" on your conscience.

There is a couple of quests you can complete to lower reputation. Prim's quest at the Nashkel Mines can be done by lowering reputation, killing the Cloudpeak dryad west of Nashkel also lowers reputation if I recall correctly.

There is a quest in Baldur's Gate about a girl and her kitty - if you kill the kitty (that's even worse than a random commoner you monster!) you lose some reputation.

In Baldur's Gate's south-western section (Flaming Fist HQ) there is an inn facing the southern wall. Entering with an evil party member will make the paladin inside go crazy and attack you. Killing him lowers your reputation.

Last but not least, killing the woman that tells you about Brage, south of the Lighthouse area, lowers reputation if memory doesn't fail me - she initiates the conversation too.

There's likely a few more that I'm currently missing. Likely killing the Archeologist in the same area as Brage will lower your reputation - I never did the quest the evil route though. Siding with Silke might lower reputation too, but again I'm not entirely convinced.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    In Beregost and Baldur's Gate City (not sure about Nashkel) if you can find a house with an unnamed occupant (i.e. commoner) and charname goes in alone (for some reason this is important) and kills the occupant the party rep drops two (iirc) points.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    dunbar said:

In Beregost and Baldur's Gate City (not sure about Nashkel) if you can find a house with an unnamed occupant (i.e. commoner) and charname goes in alone (for some reason this is important) and kills the occupant the party rep drops two (iirc) points.

The amount your reputation drops for killing an innocent or a Flaming Fist soldier depends on your starting rep and ranges from 10 to 1 (or 0 if you're already at rock bottom). The higher your reputation, the more it drops with each murder.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Murder the innocents
    Solution to all problems in life, really
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Killing is our father's work. Embrace it as I have!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    There are also some easy-to-miss side quests that can lower rep if you choose the right responses. For example, in the area north of Nashkel, you can find Coquetle's amulet in the trees west of the hobgoblins that are ambushing travelers along the road. Take it back to Beregost and enter one of the houses near the town square (I forget which one). A butler will be standing at the entrance. Anyway, go to the other man standing inside and talk to him. The necklace belongs to his family. If you keep the amulet for yourself, you lose 2 rep.

Another spot is just northeast of the south bridge in Nashkel. After finding a greenstone ring in the second level of the Nashkel Mine, take it to the house there. The woman inside will recognize the ring as her husband's, but you can keep it for a drop in rep as well.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    If you are able to install the BG1 NPC mod, there is a 'Bardic Reputation Adjustment' option that is the exact opposite of donating to temples - you pay bards to sing of your terrible deeds.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    It would be nice to have donating to the temple of an evil deity lower your reputation.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    There are a lot of annoying nobles in the game, just "accidentally" launch a fireball their way and you're set.
  • I generally keep a mental list of "innocent" NPCs who are profitable to kill and off them at strategic points to maintain reputation. That's more for maintaining a low reputation for the evil Bhaalspawn powers than juggling to stay around 18 rep for the best discount, though.

(For those who are curious, the list mainly consists of Firebead [post scroll case quest], Shandalar, and Drizzt. Not sure if there's anyone else in the game who pays out big and gives a rep hit.)
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    In BG1 there is a halfling or gnome woman in Ulgoth's beard that carries a ring of free action. Killing her gives you the ring and you lose a bunch of rep. Win-Win.
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81

In BG1 there is a halfling or gnome woman in Ulgoth's beard that carries a ring of free action. Killing her gives you the ring and you lose a bunch of rep. Win-Win.

Her name is "Dushai", she is one of my favorite characters. This is because I tried once to kill her for the ring of free action and she punished me for real! With SCS mod she is a very strong cleric/illusionist!!
  • In BG1 there is a halfling or gnome woman in Ulgoth's beard that carries a ring of free action. Killing her gives you the ring and you lose a bunch of rep. Win-Win.

I usually just pickpocket that ring. Do you get decent experience for killing her?

I just started a game today and remembered also that I'll sometimes return Unshey's girdle for the XP and then kill 'em to get it back.
  • stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 30
    I'm playing thru with a 'good' party except Viconia & am wondering if the helm of alignment on her will change all the problems with a high rep & keeping her.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Kill a begger.

They deserve to die considering they beg for one coin while standing next to an unlocked container with loads of coins.
    Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

And why do they never bother picking up all the random armour/weapons to sell that are left in my wake after dealing with an assasin?
    Lazy I reckon.

Nonetheless, it still causes me guilt feelings but if you want to keep people happy, it's the price you have to pay.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @stu-k Yes, if you put the Helm of opposite alignment on an evil NPC, this NPC won't leave when your reputation reaches 19 or 20.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Kaigen said:

I generally keep a mental list of "innocent" NPCs who are profitable to kill and off them at strategic points to maintain reputation. That's more for maintaining a low reputation for the evil Bhaalspawn powers than juggling to stay around 18 rep for the best discount, though.

(For those who are curious, the list mainly consists of Firebead [post scroll case quest], Shandalar, and Drizzt. Not sure if there's anyone else in the game who pays out big and gives a rep hit.)

Well good luck killing Shandalar. He's arguably harder to kill than Drizzt.
  • @OlvynChuru Not if you zap him with a Wand of Paralysis he isn't.

As a general update, it looks like killing Firebead costs you like killing a Flaming Fist these days, so he probably isn't worth killing anymore unless you're planning on just tanking your rep.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Murder innocent people and sacrifice them to dorns patron!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    What I usually do is... cheat.

C:Eval("ReputationInc(-1)")
  • I didn't even know there was a console command that could adjust Reputation.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Kaigen There is a LOT of neat stuff you can do with Eval commands.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Kill a begger.

They deserve to die considering they beg for one coin while standing next to an unlocked container with loads of coins.

And why do they never bother picking up all the random armour/weapons to sell that are left in my wake after dealing with an assasin?
    Lazy I reckon.

Nonetheless, it still causes me guilt feelings but if you want to keep people happy, it's the price you have to pay.

Maybe that container is all the coins they have from begging. They let you take it because you are a well armed adventurer who would gladly kill them. You monster.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    Grum said:

Kill a begger.

Lazy I reckon.

Maybe that container is all the coins they have from begging. They let you take it because you are a well armed adventurer who would gladly kill them. You monster.
    Thank you for making me feel bad about it.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Kaigen said:

@OlvynChuru Not if you zap him with a Wand of Paralysis he isn't.

Well, yes, but all enemies are easy if you manage to zap them with a Wand of Paralysis. However, I tested this some while ago, and Shandalar very rarely fails his save against the wand. (Or maybe it was Magic Resistance, I forget, but either way he usually resists it.)