Skip to content

It is time!!!

So, I think I'm finally giving into the masses. It is time for me to do a no reload solo run.

Class: Mage
Kit: wild mage
Race: Human

Things I must do to keep this a solo run;
Ctrl j away from Imeon before she can talk to me after Gorion's death.

Don't rescue the chocolate maiden, don't even go into the vicinity! EVER!

Don't rescuae Neera, or go into that vicinity ever!

Every other npc I have no problem saying get lost to.

So, what are some tips to survive the magic starved world of bg1?

What are some tips to survive the opness of mages in bg2?

What are some tips for surviving the long winded battles of TOB?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Wands. Especially of monster summoning. That and kiting.
    semiticgoddess
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited October 2015
    Grum said:

Wands. Especially of monster summoning. That and kiting.

@Grum
    I don't remember that wond being too plentiful in 1. Also I may need to know what potions to hold onto, I have a habit of. .. Never using them at all.

Edit
    Fuuuuu... I just remembered the Maze after spellhold...I'm going to be forced into talking to Imeon.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    you will need to do the sell back trick on the wands to resupply the charges. There is a wand of monster summoning in the ghoul caves east of nashkel that you will really want to get. Mostly though...good luck. Solo no reload was hard as a dwarven defender. As a wild Mage? Good luck.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @DragonKing: It's common practice and acceptable in solo runs to accept party members into the group just to gently eject them a second later, or even initiate a quest. I often let NPCs into the party in solo runs long enough to remove them. It avoids certain unpleasant dialogue options. I don't like telling them to get lost, and inviting them into the party makes their exit a little more gentle.

You should be able to talk-block Imoen in Spellhold if you want, though. A Power Word: Stun spell should also work.
    GrumJuliusBorisov
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    So your first decision is to play a human wild mage.

Even if it's just vanilla, I can't see this ending well.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    No reload with a Wild Mage? Good luck.

Note that Wild Mage's biggest perk, the Reckless Dweomer (casting lvl9 spells at the price of lvl1) FORCES a wild surge.

I just hope that you won't be too mad after losing tens of hours of play to a random Wild Surge.
    edited October 2015
    @Meyahi
    Yes, I already know this, I only play two classes wild mages and sorcerers and yes I know dwemer forces wild surges, ora part of the fun of the class.

@Jaheiras_Witness
    No, my first decision was whether or not to actually do this. Which class/race I'd use was practically already set in stone. There is only two classes I favor in this game, both deal with the arcane and the only real decision is do I want spammability or versatility with a side order of 'fireball to the face!"

Now that I think about, I still haven't done the Viconia and Charname duo run.

@semiticgod
    So, make sure to have power word stun ready by then. I still need to just avoid Viconia... Damn Drow has a hold on me lol.

@Grum
    Ok, I'm not going to lie, i don't really see how I'm going to solo some of these fighta even with the wand. Hell. I don't even know how I'm going to survive waylay from archers. I feel spamming spiders and web may help, if I live long enough to get both. Sleep may win me a few points against some of the more extremely easier swarms, but against things like golems, I don't really see a victory for me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    I think the point we're all hinting at is that wild mage is almost doomed to failure, even from just a mathematical perspective. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, work out how many spells you will have to cast, work out the odds of a wild surge and work out which surges are potentially showstoppers. And if you do that, you'll see your odds are already terrible, even before we get onto the dangers enemies pose.
    @Jaheiras_Witness
    Then let the show be stopped when it happens, the purpose of playing a wildmage is that very uncontrollability. I'm fine with, the point is to have fun is it not?
    semiticgoddessKilivitz
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    No, the point is to win, always win.
    Joking aside, since I'm not a gambler by nature I don't see the appeal of randomness dicatating succes or failure. I'm much more of a chess guy.

Controled randomness is fine since I can make out the odds and set up a plan. Solo no reload wild mage is not.
    Meyahi said:

No, the point is to win, always win.
    Joking aside, since I'm not a gambler by nature I don't see the appeal of randomness dicatating succes or failure. I'm much more of a chess guy.

Controled randomness is fine since I can make out the odds and set up a plan. Solo no reload wild mage is not.

@Meyahi
    See, I never liked that comparison, "I'm not a gambler." I'm not a gambler either, but I also don't see the appeal in treating games like a science, and I've been playing mmo for years. Which are notorious for it.

Yet that's what people do in this game, treat it like a science, anything that doesn't work x/y/z; it loses its appeal, hence there is a lot of hate I've scene towards willdmage on older post. It doesn't act like every otherage, it isn't a exact science since it has a probability of doing something else. So only those who like to gambling will like it. Even though I hate gambling...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We'll listen to your experience of playing a wild mage nevertheless, @DragonKing .
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hoard wands and use them all the time.
    Hoard potions and use them all the time.
    Do not let either of these collect dust in your backpack.

Use summons all the time.
    Scout ahead all the time. Use whatever scouting spells (like farsight, wiz eye etc) you can, cast them, choose new spells, rest, buff, then fight.
    Know what items you need and selectively go get them as soon as possible (ie boots of speed, ring of wiz, +saves ring/amulet, claw).
    Never forget chaos shield. Ever.
    Don't underestimate buff's like Luck etc. Don't rely on saves, but get them as high as possible as soon as possible anyways.
    Prepare for all fights, even for wolves in the forrest.
    Beware Ghasts etc who can cast Hold or similar spells. Do you homework on what enemies are encountered in each area and buff up on counter spells.

Good luck! You will need it :)
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
    @bengoshi
    I'm actually not starting until Thanksgiving break, only thing I wish right now is that there was some mod out there for wild surges so that there aren't any duplicate effects. That and i wish that I could get the damn wild mage spell mod working -.- the one mode I care the most for and its a no go.

@Skatan
    Lol, thanks.I'm pretty sure there is a poll going on o. How fast I die.
    JuliusBorisovSkatan