Skip to content

Favored Enemy - What's Your Choice?

Comments

• jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    I feel vampires might get a close second to illith
    GemHound said:

@Tad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Its a personal thing as I play thieves the most which means golems have a special place for me.

I also play thief mostly so can appreciate your issue. Quarterstaff plus oil of speed tends to help. Also, traps.
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    I still sometimes have a lot of trouble with golems and demons, so I often choose one of those for BG2.

For BG1 . . . honestly, I always forget that you can choose spiders and then get my ass handed to me in Cloakwood. I'm going to have to write that down this time.
    jesterdesu
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    I almost always choose some form of undead, since they tend to show up a lot, but when SoD comes out and I replay the whole saga with my main Bhaalspawn, I'm going to probably pick dragons in BG2:EE, just because holy crap do I need whatever edge I can get against them. I've probably lost a few years off my life from the stress I get in trying to beat so many bloody dragons.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Svar said:

I almost always choose some form of undead, since they tend to show up a lot, but when SoD comes out and I replay the whole saga with my main Bhaalspawn, I'm going to probably pick dragons in BG2:EE, just because holy crap do I need whatever edge I can get against them. I've probably lost a few years off my life from the stress I get in trying to beat so many bloody dragons.

Ahhh, dragons ... don'cha just love 'em?

But look, every dragon in BG2ee can be beaten by just charging right in and killing it. If you're struggling against dragons (at least in a party game), then that's the game's way of telling you that you're trying to do it too soon. Just come back later, when you're stronger ... and then charge right in and kill it.
    SvarjesterdesuEmpyrial
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Svar said:

Need moar traps :)
    [Deleted User]
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Svar and @Gallowglass
    You both are now on my list!
    [Deleted User]
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @DragonKing

You do know most of them are humans. Your list will have turned withered and yellow before you get to them at this rate, long after they've expired from old age.

Not to mention, I should warn you. As a Paladin and a Cavalier, should you continue this rhetoric, I will be required to slay you myself. I just want us to all be friends here. Even Lord Bahamut knows that Chromatic Dragons and Tiamat gotta go.
    DragonKinglolien
    @Dragonspear

My name might as well be Shendu because I'm a Dragon Sorcerer and I ain't never scared! ,,(two references for the price of one!)

Yet people kill plantinum dragons along side chromatic dragons for fun. I prefer to follow Chronepsis or Lendys anyways.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

@Dragonspear

My name might as well be Shendu because I'm a Dragon Sorcerer and I ain't never scared! ,,(two references for the price of one!)

Yet people kill plantinum dragons along side chromatic dragons for fun. I prefer to follow Chronepsis or Lendys anyways.

Tresset- Lore check failed.

Huh?
    Dragonspear
    Tresset said:

@Dragonspear

Tresset- Lore check failed.

Huh?
    Chronepsis is the dragon deity of Fate, Death, and Judgment. His symbol is an unblinking draconic eye. Chronepsis is truly neutral in all things, dispassionate and unconcerned with the unfolding of events. He observes, but does not act except to guide the spirits of dragons into the afterlife. While he is a god of "eternal law," he cares nothing for justice, as Lendys does. Chronepsis never speaks or communicates. Chronepsis is said to know the future and how all things will end, but he will not reveal this knowledge to others. While all dragons respect Chronepsis, very few worship him, and even fewer become his clerics.

Lendys is the dragon god of balance and justice. Unlike Chronepsis, who judges dragons after they die, Lendys metes out justice during a dragon's life.

The clerics and paladins of Lendys are justice-bringers, often serving as judges and arbiters for local communities.

And lendys says there is no balance here!

@Tresset
    Tresset
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I once played a Cleric of Chronepsis; it was fun. I essentially was a stoic mute character. He could speak but just chose not to.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @Tresset - If you don't know the first couple references, Shendu was a dragon sorcerer from the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon from way back. So there's that bit. Of course, Shendu lost constantly, so I wouldn't be overconfident if I were him.
    edited November 2015
    @Abi_Dalzim
    Shendu lost through a lot of plotholes and deux ex machina, plus it was a 90s kids cartoon the only time the villain ever in was followed by a dues ex machina defeat.
    I mean hell, half the time uncle needed substitute spell components to make a spell. I mean I can give you a spell or two, but more than half of your spells shouldn't work with "substitute" spell components.

Other defeats were because of the human he worked with was a complete idiot. Either way, I chose Shendu because he is known as a Dragon Sorcerer, not because of his win/ lose record.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    @DragonKing You should be careful about who you threaten on these boards - there have been way too many advice threads on how to kill dragons for the rest of us to not be ready to take you down. ;)
    [Deleted User]semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    *Memorizes Feeblemind*
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Ghoul wouldn't be a bad choice for BG1 either... They can be quite dangerous...
    TuthJuliusBorisov
    If Ghoul includes Ghasts and those other kinds of super-Ghouls that appear in Durlag's Tower, then yeah, I could get behind that.

If Ghoul includes Ghasts and those other kinds of super-Ghouls that appear in Durlag's Tower, then yeah, I could get behind that.

It does include those two.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    BG2: Illithids are nasty creatures. Let's kill'em. Same goes for vampires (except they're already dead).
    @Empyrial
    My heart only pumps lava!
    Empyrial
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107

@Empyrial
    My heart only pumps lava!

*Quietly notes down "Cold weakness - probable"*
    semiticgoddessTressetDragonKing
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    I created this account just to get some more advice for defeating beholders on scs. I usually only play games with no-reload in mind and at the hardest setting. Not played BG2 since 15 years give or take, so I figured I'd DL scs to give me a fresh start with BG2EE.

I've generally done ok on core settings, insane was a tad much for me now. I've picked the option where the truly OP gear moves to ToB. I have most scs options on and a tad harder spawns (not too bad).

Killing beholders while invisible with skeleton warriors and haste is kind of cheesy. But if I invite them to a fair fight I get crushed.

How do you deal with the unique beholder at the twisted rune in a no-reload setting?! I died the first time since he alone overpowered me (ate my buffs over and over). I am a Zerker9/Mage16, playing with Keldorn 14, Jan 13ish and Aerie 13ish. Aside from that beholder most fights even with liches are ok. Had to cheat and use prot from magic scroll on Kangaxx though and still chose to reload because he imprisoned Aerie and I read it breaks the romance. Dragons are also fine. The Illithid camp in the sewers was ok, the Alhoon was kind of nasty though (shouldn't he give 3-4 times more exp?).

Second time in twisted rune fight I won mostly due to Keldorn tanking quite a few nasty rays and managing a few saves even though he got dispelled over and over. I do have a wand of spell striking from Neeras quest and it helps A LOT with PFMWx100 fights.

So worst enemy is by far the beholder. How do you reliably deal with them without using cheese (summon or shield of cheese) tactics? HLAS?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @Otherguy There are threads around here on the subject. Here's one that I remember well: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/621231
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovlolien
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Thank you Abi_Dalzim!
    JuliusBorisov
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
    Beholders are not immune to magic damage right? so have all ur mage sequence 3x skull trap and minor sequence magic missiles work fine. for the twisted rune can't u skull trap the beholder's spawn location? 6 skull traps should be enough no? In regular BG2EE they can't see invisible does SCS change that?

• I generally go with Demons for favored enemies, because most of the other dangerous options can be defeated handily with the right tactics. Beholders can be handled by the Shield, most liches can be turned (or else confronted with a Scroll of Protection from Undead), and Illithids aren't as dangerous once you can push your Save vs. Spell into safe territory. Dragons are tough, but you always have the opportunity to prepare for a dragon encounter to your heart's content, and you usually fight them alone. Demons are tough, tend to inflict nasty status effects (especially paralysis), and often come in packs.
    semiticgoddessAbi_Dalzim
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Troll, the sooner they "die" the better.
    procco
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

Troll, the sooner they "die" the better.

Yes! I always pick trolls, just because the first time I played BG2 I had a bug with the troll script that would cause them to not fall down, making them unkillable. Ever since, I HATE trolls. Even the easy to kill ones. They are to me what snakes are to Indiana Jones.
    And I can't stand you have to kill them and then kill them again. Ooooo I hate those trolls!
    JuliusBorisovHudzy
    Crom Fayr man, never worry about those trolls again. Or, for something a little more immediate, Death spell.