Skip to content

Real life class and stats

124»

Comments

• wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @mashedtaters "Have I told you about the time my great-uncle Tim McTurnippison founded the world's largest golden turnip company? It all started with....."
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Svar
    I love it!!
    It's almost like you realize just how dangerous the Realms are when you can't lift and carry almost 500lbs up a mountain (18 str), while balancing upside-down on a tight-rope (18 dex) and chewing poisoned, rusty nails for breakfast (18 con).
    Poor noober. He wants to be an adventurer but realizes the truth:
    He is just a gamer.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited February 2016
    @Svar , Were you by any chance playing badly with that character just to make your point? There's no way that wolf should have gotten anywhere near you and Imoen. You should have both started running in opposite directions and firing arrows on sight of the wolf. Whichever one it chased would keep running, the other would shoot it down. Dead wolf.

You did take the bow as a proficiency for yourself, didn't you? With your dexterity, you should be at least decent at archery. Did you gimp your proficiencies to club and staff, maybe, because you've never taken archery or fencing in real life, or participated in one of those medieval re-enactment clubs? Imoen should still have been able to shoot the wolf while you ran away.

That "mage" part of your multi-class means you are gifted with magic powers as soon as you enter this world, which will grow over time. Didn't you get "Sleep" as one of your first spells? You could have helped Imoen with magic missiles, both by using your spell slot, and by using the wand Imoen should have lent you, which never misses.

You're only going to get killed in the BG world that fast if you're so scared you've completely turned off your brain, or if you don't know how to rely on capable friends. You don't control what they would do in the real scenario either, so we can safely assume the whole cast of characters all know what they are doing, since they are part of this hypothetical, imaginary world you find yourself transported to.

BTW - To be clear, I'm just teasing a bit here. I know you made the post as a joke.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    @BelgarathMTH , my proficiencies are in dagger and shortsword, because I'm good with small blades in real life. I chose Magic Missile and Identify as my first spells.
    @Svar, so, with a dagger and a bit longer dagger, and four hit points, why in the world did you choose to directly engage a wolf, or, well, anything? Why wouldn't Imoen give you her Wand of Magic Missiles?

I can only think that you got killed in the BG world because you marched right up to enemies and engaged in melee. That would make you a fool. Yet I see that your wisdom score is 13. That means that either the wisdom score is wrong, or you deliberately committed suicide just to make a foolish point that belies your supposed wisdom. Which also belies your supposed wisdom. I'd suggest you change that wisdom score to a 3.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

@Svar, so, with a dagger and a bit longer dagger, and four hit points, why in the world did you choose to directly engage a wolf, or, well, anything? Why wouldn't Imoen give you her Wand of Magic Missiles?

I can only think that you got killed in the BG world because you marched right up to enemies and engaged in melee. That would make you a fool. Yet I see that your wisdom score is 13. That means that either the wisdom score is wrong, or you deliberately committed suicide just to make a foolish point that belies your supposed wisdom. Which also belies your supposed wisdom. I'd suggest you change that wisdom score to a 3.

Ever try to outrun a wolf? Something tells me it is harder than BG makes it seem.
    edited February 2016
    @Grum, perhaps you couldn't kite a wolf in real life, but I think we can assume that, upon being transported to the world of BG, that the BG world's rules apply, not our world's.

BTW, real life wolves don't depend on outrunning their prey. They depend on coordinated pack efforts.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    @BelgarathMTH , you're making a lot of false assumptions about my intentions, the exact circumstance in the game, and how I played. There's no need to be rude about it too.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @BelgarathMTH Turn and face the wall in shame! >:(
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    *glares at BelgarathMTH to try to fit in
  • LCrockettLCrockett Member Posts: 7

I'd recommend that those who think they have high intelligence take the test for that though, just to sort of "put your money where you mouth is."

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/back/xstattest.html

I love how this tests makes it clear how subjective the idea of intelligence is. Some of the questions directly probe a kind of basic reasoning that could be used as a proxy for a certain kind of intelligence, but others are just a test of cultural knowledge (the question about composers, for example) or even what you consider to be significant in abstract categorization. The question about the veggies is great. Are you more or less smart if you think the significant distinction is what letter the word begins with in English? Or if you have been taught that something with seeds (a cucumber; I don't remember if eggplants have seeds—does that mean I'm less smart than if I did?) is a fruit and something without isn't, so that's the important distinction. Or maybe you think root vegetables is the important distinction, because they are less perishable. Or maybe you believe the only way to be healthy is to eat lots of leafy veggies, so that's the important distinction. Which means whatever the test author's correct answer is, it's no more or less correct than anybody else's answer. Which seems to be true of a lot of internet "IQ" tests.