Skip to content

Best possible character build?

Comments

• MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited March 2016
    I understand you. You don't understand me.

Your problem is the same that any "expert" on any game: you disregard any ability that is useful for regular players, like, here, all tools that can compensate for a lack of foresight.
    You know the game so much that you do not "need" anything to save you from ambushes, pitfalls, uncommon spells... you know where they are, and you are prepared for it.

For someone who knows everything, a mage is probably an extremly powerful character. Because he has a lot of tools. So with proper knowledge, you feel you can do everything better with it.
    But really, understand this: the game is not meant to be played by someone that knows it by heart. So the needs for a "powerfull" character can change with a regular player.

Passive abilities can save a regular player from reloading where spells will not. And it doesn't prevent him to beat the game at all neverless.
    You disregard them because who you are, failing to take the whole playerbase into account.

Thus, you're not wrong at all, but your evaluation only fits people like you. People who beat the game several times already
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited March 2016
    You changed your post after I replied, so I have to distress some more points:
    Moonheart said:

You know the game very well, so you could have forget that notion, but you are not truly supposed to play the game knowing what fight is coming, and what you have to protect against, before it even begins.
    Most players play the game the regular way, and for them, a mage is not -that-powerful at all.

Why? Very simply because a mage is only as powerful as you -know- what is coming at you. So you can prepare your spellbook, buffs, sequensors, accordingly.
    There is no "high % of success" with when you do not have that prior knowledge. If you keep using all your buffs every 2mn to have them all always ready, you're just going to turn nuts.

It doesn't work like this.
    On my first (and on Insane + SCS installed) run through Black Pits II with a solo Sorcerer I reloaded just once due to a multiplayer bug.
    Are they easy fights? Not particularly.
    Did I know what I was gonna fight? Not at all.
    Did I had top gear equipment? Not till the very end.
    I'm pretty sure tho, that with an end-game Sorcerer I can deal with any encounter.
    Unless we talk about mods that completely change spells behaviours or have scripts specifically designed against spellcasters (which I've never found so far).
    Moonheart said:

For a regular player, i.e., most of players, a 100%MR character, or a berzerker, is a -lot- more powerful than a mage. Simply because it counters almost everything without that prior knowledge.

Call it "noob friendly" if you want, but be "always ready" this is a form of power. Your knowledge as a player compensate for the weaknesses of the mages which is the need of foresight, but it doesn't means they have no weaknesses to start with. Your knowledge of the game only make you forget about it, and from a certain perspective, what is "powerful" here is not the build, but the player.

I'm positive that a solo 100% MR Berserker won't make it in a no-reload even before the end of SoA with just SCS installed, EVEN metagaming. With a Sorcerer is fairly doable tho', and it is also because:

- it can deal Fire, Cold, Magic, Acid, Poison and Electric damage bypassing MR.

- can render itself immune to every physical, elemental and magical damage with literally a couple of spells.

- has the highest damage/round with an infinite loop of Alacrity/Time Stop/deplete spells/Wish.

- has the best 360° defense and is able to tank everything in the game potentially forever.

- has the strongest summons.

- if you're not against the use of exploit he becomes a completely broken God (the fixes of the 2.0 berely scratched the surface)

- it is a single class, which means that it levels-up relatively fast.

- has the largest amount of crowd-control, aoe damage-dealing and debuff spells.

I could go on...

If you add this to game/class knowledge and good strategies you have the answer to this thread.
    Moonheart said:

I understand you. You don't understand me.

Your problem is the same that any "expert" on any game: you disregard any ability that is useful for regular players, like, here, all tools that can compensate for a lack of foresight.
    You know the game so much that you do not "need" anything to save you from ambushes, pitfalls, uncommon spells... you know where they are, and you are prepared for it.

For someone who knows everything, a mage is probably an extremly powerful character. Because he has a lot of tools. So with proper knowledge, you feel you can do everything better with it.
    But really, understand this: the game is not meant to be played by someone that knows it by heart. So the needs for a "powerfull" character can change with a regular player.

Passive abilities can save a regular player from reloading where spells will not. And it doesn't prevent him to beat the game at all neverless.
    You disregard them because who you are, failing to take the whole playerbase into account.

Thus, you're not wrong at all, but your evaluation only fits people like you. People who beat the game several times already

You are definitely right here, I'm not sure I understand:
    why would someone not "expert" puzzle himself about the "best possible character build"?
    I thought it was a topic for people with a certain knowledge about the game mechanics.
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on
    edited March 2016
    There is a difference between "to have knowledge", and "to think only for people who have knowledge".
    In my eyes, if it takes an expert to achieve great results with a build, this is not the build which is powerful, but the player.

A powerful build is powerful no matter who plays it. But can you say that someone achieve great results in BG2 using those builds you say "powerful", if he knows nothing of the fights to come?
    I have my doubt on it.
    Post edited by Moonheart on
    edited March 2016
    Moonheart said:

But can you say that someone achieve great results in BG2 using those builds you say "powerful", if he knows nothing of the fights to come?
    I have my doubt on it.

With a Sorcerer? Yes, that's what I said.
    If I see a vampire I know I have to cast a PfMW, or kite it around while using spells. Same goes for a Planetar (The Winged, for example). If it is a Mage I pop-up my Spell Immunities and so. With a beholder a Spell Shield/invisibility depending on the mods settings. And so on.
    There is a solution for everything.

And I hope that some dev is reading this and find a way to create a challenging encounter.

That's why I'm really looking forward to the Black Pits II continue.
    edited March 2016

Moonheart said:

But can you say that someone achieve great results in BG2 using those builds you say "powerful", if he knows nothing of the fights to come?
    I have my doubt on it.

With a Sorcerer? Yes, that's what I said.
    If I see a vampire I know I have to cast a PfMW, or kite it around while using spells.(...)
    This illustrate perfectly what is the problem with your evaluations: you cannot get past your own case.
    I speak you of people who doesn't know and have to make up for solutions once they face the real problem, without any fore-planning, and you and answer "I know I have..."

In the hands of someone who doesn't know, which is 90% of the player base, the Sorcerer is bound to a lot of difficulties, because of missed spell picks (what do you do when you DIDN'T pick PfMW, because you didn't know how Stoneskin will fail so badly against those vampires?), because of poorly matching buffs choices before the engagements (that's easy to say "You need to buff with Resist Magic prior the fight" when you know. A regular player will be within the Horrid Withering cloud when he suddently understand what he needs, and casting it will be a LOT more difficult then)

-You- win with a Sorcerer not because of the class, but because you know -what- counter, -when-, and -how- and come prepared for it. You'll do the same with scrolls and potions anyway, or even a fucking Blade, if you cared to try, but it is much more confortable to go with a auto-resupplying provider of those counters like the Sorcerer, if you can fore-plan the spell picks a dozen hours before you truly need them.

The Berzerker, in the other hand, doesn't requier to know everything. It comes already loaded with an ability that solves 90% of the problems, making your failure rate inferior to 10% even if you don't know a shit about what is coming next in the game. You fail a lot more with a Sorcerer if you don't know what you'll have to do before you start the encounter.
    Post edited by Moonheart on
    @Moonheart I suggest you to read the original post ;)
    I did.
    That discussion doesn't seems to progress much...
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Half elf FMT

In BGI, you'll primarily be cosplaying as Drizzt. He's got the best weapons and armor, and I really only cast invisibility and identify in BGI. You can do well with magic missile against Sarevok, if you so choose.

Level 1:
    ** scimitar
    ** two weapon fighting

Level 6:
    ** flail (I'd buy the +2 one sold in Sorcerous Sundries in case you meet something resistant to slashing)

Note: in BGI, you'd be better off getting *** in TWF, but this way is better in the long run.

Level 12:
    ** hammer

Level 15:
    *** two weapon fighting

Level 18:
    * bastard sword

Your primary weapons will be the Flail of Ages and Crom Faeyr. Your best off-hand weapons are Belm (early game), Scarlet Ninja-to, and the Purifier.
  • tarasistarasis Member Posts: 20
    I have to say I find the thread interesting. I am going to play through the game again for the first time in ~14 years, and want the character to continue on to the new expansion and BGII EE.

I never completed BGII, and what I remember from BG1 is incredibly vague. I certainly don't remember spell lists, what works as good counters and so on (I believe I was a Ranger last time I played through).

Part of me is tempted to play through as a Bard as I enjoy the character type in D&D, though they often get a short changed in games. Kensia/Mage sounds tempting but it sounds like it might require fore knowledge to pull off decently (likewise a straight Sorcerer which I also love the idea of).
  • franiofranio Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    I want to start BG2:EE for the first time. Ofc i have an experience in BG2 and TOB. I played it 3 times: 4 ppl NPCs party, 3ppl power-build party, and solo as F/M/T. I think i screwed the last game cause my FMT had troubles with ToB bosses :open_mouth:

This time i want to pass the game with 2 characters (1 is boring, 3 is already a crowd) :
    - F/M Gnome multiclass (considering 13ber/ken -> mage dualclass too)
    - F/T multi or Ber/T or Ken/T duals (dont know yet which variant will be best)

Goals:
    - Party must be playable from first chapters of SoA, and be absurdly overpowered in ToB.
    - cheats/mods i will be using : remove XP cap, unlimited bags/stacks (also considering True-Gand-Mastery)
    - adding one NPC for first chapters is acceptable (in dual class FT variant) but not exactly wanted. For both dualclass variant its a pain that must be accepted.

Questions:
    - I have no idea where to spend the stars, especially when i choose dualclass variant for 2nd character, cause picking granmastery makes me to choose one weapon type from start.
    - What is ur suggestion for weapons and gear for both of them? My tought is Flail of Ages + Crom/speed weapon for F/M. Completely no ideas for F/T
    - Will lack of kleric be problem if there is only one amulet of power in game? Are there any other items to prevent negative energy / levels drain? Or i should just keep on scrolls and potions?
    - Maybe i should make 1st character 13ken/ber - Mage dualclass aswell? I get more hp, lower thaco, and i loose fighters HLA. Also early game is more frustrating. Is it worth or not?
    - *NOOBy Question* Really there is NO BENEFIT AT ALL from increasing thief skills above 100points (except hide and move silently)?

Looking for ur suggestions.
    Post edited by franio on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @franio I would choose a multiclass Fighter/Illusionist and a multiclass Fighter/Thief above dual-class options as you want to use characters right from the first chapters of SoA.

You'll have plenty of options where to spend your proficiencies - no need to concentrate on one weapon.

For a Fighter/Thief I'd take staff, two-handed weapons, two-handed swords, halberds

For a Figter/Illusionist I'd take flails, two-weapon fighting, scimitars and longswords

A lack of a cleric can be counteracted with items, but there's only one amulet of power. So your Figter/Illusionist can tank vampires while your Fighter/Thief backstabs them and run away, to go invisible again and return for the next backstab.

There's no benefit for increasing thieving skills above 100, yes, except for HiS and MS and Pickpocketing (but you have potions for increasing you PP skill).
  • SaulerSauler Member Posts: 100
    With an increase of exp limit cap, F/M/T can become now a powerful multiclass combination for a full run (with SoD in middle obv) ?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Sauler It's already a very powerful class. With the XP cap removed it's insanely powerful.
    Sauler said:

With an increase of exp limit cap, F/M/T can become now a powerful multiclass combination for a full run (with SoD in middle obv) ?

Has this (in vanilla) happened?
    Hmm no the XP cap of the trilogy is still 8 million AFAIK. I assumed he was using a XP cap removal mod.
  • SaulerSauler Member Posts: 100
    Of course, in vanilla version if you not install mod with XP cap removed, you can't reach some high level spell (level 9 i suppose and no HLA i think), but what i want to know if with SoD, xp cap has been increased or not. If not, i think i continue to use xp cap removal xD.
    @Sauler SoD is before BG2 so I don't imagine it is going to affect the BG2 cap.
    So, what's your proper spell picks for a sorcerer?
  • sernsern Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    ArchGhost said:

-Lotsa stuff, well written-

Agreed, let's hear your sorcerer spell picks. I'm thinking about playing the EE's for the first time, and I figure it'll be as a sorc (though not solo).

I might've tried for a fun wild mage, but they nerfed its exploitables quite a bit, I read lol. Sorc was always better anyway, though.

I played the first game a ton, but I've only ever gone through the whole series contiguously as a fighter/illusionist; by the end of the game, though I could melee like a god or w/e, it was obvious to me that arcane spellcasting is way more powerful, and more elaborate, than any other character path. It's kind of a shame, really, that everything else is so bare and boring.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    I must say, regardless of mod combination(s), be it SCS-SR-IR-Anvil or whatever, there is one single class I cannot play the game w/o - Sorcerer. All others fall behind it. Is it the *best build* I don't know - but it's the most flexible character you can get.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Aasim said:

I must say, regardless of mod combination(s), be it SCS-SR-IR-Anvil or whatever, there is one single class I cannot play the game w/o - Sorcerer. All others fall behind it. Is it the *best build* I don't know - but it's the most flexible character you can get.

This just proves everyone is different. I used sorcs in the past but now I can't stand them anymore, regardless of mod list - amusingly because they are way too inflexible for my tastes.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Level 40/40/40 fighter/mage/cleric
  • AlmahnsorAlmahnsor Member Posts: 4
    There are 2 schools of thinking when talking about the "best" character. The first extreme thinks their character is the best if they can adapt and come with the best tactic for each situation. The second extreme thinks their character is the best if he doesn't need to adapt and can use a single tactic that works for all situations.

The first requires of course meta gaming knowledge and careful planning. The second makes the game trivial and requires no thinking. Of course these are the extremes and all builds require a little bit of both. Casters are closer to the first extreme, while fighters are closer to the second.

We know many classes/combos can solo the game with less or more micromanagement or meta gaming knowledge, but it would be interesting which builds are considered the closest to the 2 extremes, considering the entire journey, not only the end game...
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Why would a sorc be better than a M/C?
    At least on LoB the M/C is stronger because of the insane saving throws of enemies.
    Only a M/C has Doom-Malison-Chant and can for example turn Belhifet into a squirrel. (Big B has -1 saves vs wand on LoB and goes Imp Invis)
    Ofc if you play on Insane this might not make an impact, since you can just AC tank enemies and kill them whichever way you please.
    Also LoB makes stuff like Sleep and Turn Undead almost irrelevant because of higher enemy HD.

If you disable the XP-Cap you just plain cheat yourself of any challenge and get HLAs in SoD.
    Any char wrecks the game free and if you also disable level cap F/M/C and F/M/T just straight outperform sorc by miles.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Sorc do have an edge over fmt, they don't need to pick each spell, so if they find they need 4 PFMWs, they can do that, while a fmt is stuck with what he thought he'd need. Also, they'll hit higher level spells MUCH sooner, even with the cap removed.

I think Sorc isn't strictly worse than a fmt or fmc.