Skip to content

[MOD] v3.3 Dorn romance expansion for BGII:EE

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
edited March 2022 in BGII:EE Mods

CURRENT VERSION: 3.3

ABOUT

I strongly recommend you read this whole post again if you intend to install this mod.
This mod is a romance expansion for Dorn, and NPC character added into BG2:EE by Beamdog. This brings content to about 29 talks in SOA and 6 talks in TOB, including some interjections for TOB.
The expansion adds new talks, expands and modifies existing ones and sometimes changes their order. It adds Bodhi abduction and new/modified epilogues for romanced Dorn. Some of Dorn's unused voiced lines in bg2:ee and few voiced lines from other games (bg:ee and sod) were added to make the talks feel more alive. With the permission from Aeryn, author of Haer'Dalis Romance over at Spellhold Studious, I used her code and template from her mod to add three additional talks in Underdark. This adds some content to otherwise empty stretch of the game.

I believe this mod brings the content to the same level as the vanilla romances, at least quantity-wise. If you happen to like it, I'm glad, if not, it's ok, I'm interested in feedback in both cases. :)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

when you download rar file from github (simply click download button when you open link), unrar it and drop "dorn" folder and "setup-dorn.exe" file into installation folder of your BG2:EE game, double click setup-dorn.exe and follow instructions.

DOWNLOAD LINK

: https://github.com/trinit2/Bg2Dorn/archive/master.zip

README-

1. Install this mod before any other mod that affects Dorn. Starting a new game is STRONGLY recommended, as the romance might not make sense otherwise. Post 2.0 patch update of the Infinity games, the mod seems stable.

2. I tried to remain in-character for Dorn, taking into account what we learned from bg1:ee. It is still the same character, but with added talks comes a bit more depth and reasons for affection toward CHARNAME. I guess it makes him a bit more tolerant over time, although he he is still evil.

3. The expansion is written for Dorn FREE OF PATRON. Seriously, it will not make sense otherwise.
Consider it like this- if Dorn has a patron, he is effectively slave/bound to someone else. He has no reason to open up to CHARNAME or make any concrete plans for the future, even if he does care for CHARNAME. Perhaps he might have an ulterior motive for romancing you. Thus, the original romance (no bodhi abduction, old epilogues etc.) makes sense and this mod should not be installed. Different romance path (as presented in this mod) is a roleplaying reward for making Dorn mechanically weaker, something often used in CRPGs.

4. Somewhere in the romance (SOA), there is an alignment shift on chaotic/lawful scale. Dorn stays evil! There are no variables tracks implemented because of my limited coding knowledge, so try to give Dorn more or less consistent responses for the sake of your roleplay.

5. If you notice grammar and similar errors, point them out to me please.

6. CREDITS:
- Credit must go to Grim Squeaker, since I took his code from Tyris Flare mod (on G3 site) to make a few interjections for Dorn in Watchers Keep and TOB. I also used his code to make bodhi abduction and epilogues work.
- Big credit also goes to @EekanImp for great suggestions, hunting typos and corrections of the text that helped to integrate this mod more seamlessly into the game. Thank you very much!
- Thanks to @WhiteAgnus for help with the coding side of the mod, eliminating "begin" for installation. The mod should be safe(r) to use.
- Thanks to Aeryn who permitted me to use her template and code from her Haer'Dalis Romance mod (Spellhold Studios) to create few additional talks
- PaulaMigrate added EET compatibility
- Thanks to Aeryn, author of Haer'Dalis Romance over at Spellhold Studious, for her permission to borrow the code from her excellent mod

Thanks, all of you!

7. I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your game, computer, mental health or otherwise if you decide to download, install and play this mod. You have been warned.

8. KNOWN BUGS- - stuttering bug when initiating terpfen questline should be fixed in version 3.1!

- when you exit underdark, sometimes the cutscene will interrupt romance talk. If dorn doesn't talk to you after elhan, try talking to him manually (click talk icon and then click on dorn).

This is it, I hope at least someone enjoys this mod :) Please leave feedback and such. I would appreciate it and it might help me improve this mod. also, if someone wants to help and improve the technical part of the mod, I welcome it!
Post edited by trinit on

Comments

• agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    Hi @trinit - I'd like to add your mod to BiG World Setup (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/704157)

Would you consider hosting it on GitHub? With GitHub we can set up download links that automatically update whenever you release new versions.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited February 2016
    @agb1 wow, I consider myself well informed on mods but I never took a look at this awesome project. perhaps it is because in my mind I confused Big World with with Big Picture mod.

In any case, I would be glad if you would include this mod in the setup. I 've also updated OP with the download link to github!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    @shawne , take a look
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited February 2016
    I have - and out of respect for trinit, I'll keep my $0.02 to myself.
    Post edited by shawne on
    @shawne fair enough
    @trinit please lay out the files on GitHub instead of putting the package link in the description of the tagged release

I want to use this URL: lynxlynx.info/ie/modhub.php?trinit2/BGII-Dorn-EE

This redirects to the latest release zip, which is currently empty.
    edited February 2016
    @agb1
    I think I got it this time, here you go: https://github.com/trinit2/Bg2Dorn

and thanks for the help! :)

@bengoshi can you please move this thread to "bg2II:ee mods" section?

edit: Thank you, @bengoshi! :)
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Wait wait wait... you use BEGIN for .d files? That means the original dialogue will be replaced by your files. If other Dorn-affecting mods (other NPCs that interact with him, quest with his interjections etc) and then your mod is installed, Dorn may become unplayable and in critical moments even crash the game.
    edited February 2016
    @LavaDelVortel

well, Dorn was my first attempt at modding so I went into decompiling Dorn with weidu blindly to get dialogue files, since i actually wanted to make changes even to existing dialogues (order, choices etc.)

I will simply say that I learned the hard way that any additions should be put at the bottom of the files. The basic code is still untouched, i just changed a few numbers to reorder lovetalks and change a few pointers, so I'm hoping that will minimize the potential risks...

Since then I did another expansion using existing mods that allowed me to understand some my errors more clearly but I'm still far from being competent.
    Thank you for your links, I already checked all of them before, and I thank you for your LaValygar and White mod (hope to see him or some variant of him in bg2 someday!) :)
    Changes can be done to original lines with the safer method, that's something people did before. If any BG2 mod that may add Dorn a single line is installed before you'r mod, it's almost 100% sure that dialogues will break.

I really like the idea of your mod, but you may consider asking a coder for help and making some notes like which lines were modified/added or something.

Sorry I can't help you more, but I kinda retired. I'm more like a guest modder right now. Too much stuff to do at the Uni and work... :(
    edited February 2016
    No problem, thank you for pointing it out, I've updated the OP.

Open call: if any experienced modder is willing to take a look and play around with this mod, be my guest. you may modify, add and/or take at your leisure, you have my permission, just mention me in the credits.

If required, maybe I can make a list of changes that were made to the original files. Can't say for sure though.
    A tool like WinMerge might help you compare your version against the originals.
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    Sent a pull request with not that much destructive code: https://github.com/trinit2/Bg2Dorn/pull/1 ;)
    @WhiteAgnus thank you very much! I've accepted the changes, and updated the readme credits! Yay, you have made my day (and week)!
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Just wanted to say thanks for doing this.

I am waiting for SoD to come out before I try another run through but I will definitely use this when I do.

Love Dorn and his romance, but I did feel it wasn't fleshed out enough, so maybe this will help.

Thanks again :)
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    Hi @trinit,
    Just wondering does this mod change the epilogue (ending) for Dorn?
    I have to say the original epilogue is *very* disappointing, and I would like to try your mod on my next run.
    @sansserif i did make epilogues but they are not included since they are not completely my work. i recommend you take a look at ascension mod and install shawne's epilogues for ee npc's. that will at least provide satisfying conclusion for dorn romance if you choose to ascend (but not much difference if you decide to reject godhood). hope this helps :)
    edited March 2016
    trinit said:

@sansserif i did make epilogues but they are not included since they are not completely my work. i recommend you take a look at ascension mod and install shawne's epilogues for ee npc's. that will at least provide satisfying conclusion for dorn romance if you choose to ascend (but not much difference if you decide to reject godhood). hope this helps :)

@trinit i just saw the part in your post about the ascension mod section of shawne's ee npc epilogues. do i install them in this order?

>Dorn romance mod>ascension>bg2fixpack?

Currently the only other mod i have aside from Dorn's romance mod is the Keeping Yoshimo mod, and am considering to install fixpack.

[edit]
    I tried both endings with the epilogues and while the ending for godhood is still tragic, it is *somewhat* more satisfying. Still better than Rasaad's, though, or Yoshimo's fate. Oh welll.....

So if you wrote epilogues, what would you like for the Dorn ending?
    Post edited by sansserif on
    How can I find shawne's epilogue for bgee npcs? I would love a better ending for a romanced Dorn....
    edited March 2016
    @sansserif i think fixpacks have to go before installing any other npc mod if i'm not mistaken. take a look at this list: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1

as far as i'm concerned, the ascension epilogue for charname that choose to ascend looks fine to me, and original epilogue fits charname that refused godhood and romanced dorn that still has a patron (two masters and all...). the only thing that is missing is charname and free dorn trying to carve the realms to their will, IMO

@Madrict you want the ascension mod (be sure to read the readme for it) shawne's EE epilogue component. you can find it here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/45563/ascension-v1-5-beta-enhanced-edition-release-updated-1-20-2016/p1

and thanks for the words of support. i really hope the mod will be to your liking!

take note that only romancing dorn and ascending to godhood makes noticeable difference from the original

oh, and if you haven't, please download the latest version of the mod (as of today), since there were some missing tildes preventing proper installation.
    Post edited by trinit on
    edited March 2016
    trinit said:

@sansserif i think fixpacks have to go before installing any other npc mod if i'm not mistaken. take a look at this list: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1

as far as i'm concerned, the ascension epilogue for charname that choose to ascend looks fine to me, and original epilogue fits charname that refused godhood and romanced dorn that still has a patron (two masters and all...). the only thing that is missing is charname and free dorn trying to carve the realms to their will, IMO

@Madrict you want the ascension mod (be sure to read the readme for it) shawne's EE epilogue component. you can find it here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/45563/ascension-v1-5-beta-enhanced-edition-release-updated-1-20-2016/p1

take note that only romancing dorn and ascending to godhood makes noticeable difference from the original

oh, and if you haven't, please download the latest version of the mod (as of today), since there were some missing tildes preventing proper installation.
    Hi there again,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Just wondering if these mods are compatible with the beta patch (v2.0)?

:)

I didn't get fixpacks, but saw online that Ascension comes first. I got a bug though, both Ascension and EE epilogues were showing up.
    edited March 2016
    i have no idea actually. i saw bugfix and changes list for 2.0 version and dorn has quite a few fixes (finally). if content was not actually added i think everything should be fine. but we'll know when it comes out, since i have no access to beta (and then i hope i will be able to track changes etc).

@sansserif did you install JUST shawne component? ascension is divided into components so you can choose which to install, and it has multiple variants of epilogues. take care you install only one of them. if you did that, then i'm afraid i have no idea what went wrong
    edited March 2016
    @trinit thanks very much for the extra info about the ee epilogues and for working on this mod.

Dorn is my favourite npc romance so this is awesome. Good work! :)
    trinit said:

i have no idea actually. i saw bugfix and changes list for 2.0 version and dorn has quite a few fixes (finally). if content was not actually added i think everything should be fine. but we'll know when it comes out, since i have no access to beta (and then i hope i will be able to track changes etc).

@sansserif did you install JUST shawne component? ascension is divided into components so you can choose which to install, and it has multiple variants of epilogues. take care you install only one of them. if you did that, then i'm afraid i have no idea what went wrong

I reviewed modlist thread here and it says Ascension has to be installed first, I think this is where I went wrong, but at the same time, v2 is not confirmed stable enough for mods since it's not encouraged for beta testers to use mods, so I will test out the mod compatibility when v2 comes out officially.
  • IdeasofMarchIdeasofMarch Member Posts: 14
    I joined this forum just to extend my profound thanks for this awesome romance expansion!
    When I was a fifteen something I wondered if I would still be playing BG and BG 2 fast and furious into my thirties. The EE content cemented my love for this iconic game and hooked me right back in! My paladin pc has never had the time of day for any of the evil npcs, however, the introduction of the brutally badass half orc blackguard spelled my Cavaliers instant doom; hot damn! He fell from grace just to be used and abused by this hunk of a blackguard, those tusks were too irresistible :P

The whirlwind romance left me craving for more and I, like my cavalier charname, went against my staunch principles and installed this mod to get some more half orc sugar, and it didn't disappoint! My hat is off to you, trinit; excellent job! You gave Dorn depth, intelligence and dark grace without straying from the Canon concept with exceptional results! Thank you so much for this! Cheers :)
    @IdeasofMarch thank you for the positive feedback, I'm very glad to hear you liked the mod :)
    trinit said:

@IdeasofMarch thank you for the positive feedback, I'm very glad to hear you liked the mod :)

"Like" is a gross understatement ! :-) I loved it, and as our valiant mazzy would say, you deserve my support!
    I.couldn't find a single thing I didn't enjoy about the way you handled this project, as npc expansions and modifications may get clumsy at best, disastrous and out of character at worst.
    Your work definitely set the bar high, and this is no reflection or criticism on others hard effort but both novice and veteran modders can learn a thing or two from you about how it's done.
    I particularly enjoyed your intelligent take on Dorn`s willingness to learn from charname after his initial, instinctive refusal to submit and the clever handling of his evil alignment axis, and his particular brand of obtuseness before succumbing to charname body and soul without going all mushy.
    Way back when SOA first came out, I stumbled upon the romances quite by accident like some BGamers out there. I didn't really have a favourite, though my clueless and idealistic Cavalier leaned toward Aerie as she appealed to his maiden saving, Dragon slaying knight in shining armour thing (yes, I have always been in the habit of creating paladin pcs, big surprise :P ) though he always rescued Viconia and was intrigued by the idea of the redemption angle, it got a abit tiresome.
    Then lo and behold, years later Beamdog created Dorn il Khan, praise the gods! :) You, dear Trinit, took this brilliant, passionate, strong, rough, power house of a character and unlocked his true potential thru your romance expansion. Especially in TOB, as Destiny pulled the fallen knight charname and his blackguard champion inexorably toward the end, the way Dorn voiced his struggle and turmoil about letting go was a poignant moment. The half orcs declaration of dark love and separation anxiety rendered him even more adorable in my opinion. I'm aware Dorn is Beamdogs creation and an awesome one at that, but your character development made him officially my favourite romance! Bravo!
    @IdeasofMarch thank you very much! :D Your previous feedback and some free time inspired me to make some additional expansions to the mod.

Title and OP updated with new info! Hope you all like it!
    Fantastic news! You made my day, Trinit. I can't wait to try this newer installment! I'll definitely let you know how it goes but I'm absolutely certain it will be even more amazing and our favourite shmexy half orc will be even dreamier :wink: