Skip to content

"Stuff I think is cool that you probably didn't notice" Thread

13»

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Remember that there is a CHANCE to break. If your weapon happens to break, you likely had one of the unfortunate weapons coming from the Nashkel mines, while if it didn't break, well, then fortunately, it's either an older weapon from before the crisis, or arrived from elsewhere. Sounds reasonable to me.

Perhaps having the chance to break be reduced after a certain chapter makes sense, but eliminating it seems odd.

true 18 STR shows 18/0 for me. Is it a bug?

Admitedly I use EEkeeper to get rid of exceptional STR from my fighters, but the /0 still never showed up before.

UI change. It's now 18/0 for non-warriors and 18/01 to 18/100 for warriors. I welcome it saying 18/100 instead of 18/00. I can totally see how that is confusing for new players. I know why it's /00, because that's how you get the number with IRL percentile dice, but honestly, the whole "exceptional strength" option is such an arbitrary thing. It's a perk for warrior classes, but only if they were lucky enough to roll triple 6 one one of their 6 ability score rolls.

2nd is full of such weird things. Did you know that the P&P rules had a rule that if your main ability score was very high (somewhere around 16+, though I forgot the exact detail), that you'd get an experience bonus (of around 10%). Not only were you lucky enough to get a solid primary stat, but you were rewarded extra for that as well.

It's a bit of a shame that BG didn't appear like 4 years later, as the 3rd edition rules are so much more robust in these regards.
    justfeelinathomeGrammarsaladCaradoc
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314

true 18 STR shows 18/0 for me. Is it a bug?

Admitedly I use EEkeeper to get rid of exceptional STR from my fighters, but the /0 still never showed up before.

Its a bug, we're on it.
    SirBatince
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2016
    Is there a keyboard shortcut (Tab?) for toggling
    1. Quickloot bar
    2. Health bars
    or are they only activated with mouse clicks - on quickloot button and options menu, respectively?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    So, did you know that in the beta blind enemies don't wander around?

It was an EE thing that blind enemies wandered around, to simulate the real behavior, it worked like that pre-beta and was a change from the pre-EE times.

I made a report about it some time ago and got an answer today from the developers that this an intended change.

"Intended behavior. Previous blinded behaviour caused AI script issues."

So from now on blind enemies stand still, without wandering around.
    justfeelinathomeluskanbob_venglolien
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Killing Drizzt is easy in LoB mode when he's surrounded by uber-gnolls.
    GreenWarlockJuliusBorisovlolien
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2016
    bengoshi said:

So from now on blind enemies stand still, without wandering around.

Good. Specially if they attack back. The way it used to be they it was not much different from casting Horror, and it was specially aggravating when your Fighters chased them around and sprung traps or encountered another group of monsters. And if you let them go then you had to wander around yourself looking for them since Aldeth is not going to give you a reward unless *all* the druids are dead. Argh.

Now you have a completely different effect from other popular disabling spells: Horror makes them flee, Hold makes them helpless, and Blindness makes them... er, blind, as in with serious penalties but not unable to fight back.
    mlneveseGate70mashedtatersJuliusBorisov
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    It's impossible to start BP1 in Legacy of Bhaal mode with the pre-gen party. The three tasloi mop the floor with you.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    bleusteel wrote: »
    It's impossible to start BP1 in Legacy of Bhaal mode with the pre-gen party. The three tasloi mop the floor with you.

Well, I reported a bug that members of pre-gen parties don't have spells memorized. If this was fixed, Sleep spells could help to defeat these taslois.
    bleusteellolien
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Pecca wrote: »
    Stupefier got a massive nerf (10% chance to stun for a single round, save negates). For once I welcome a nerf, that weapon wasn't fun at all. I had to mod it myself after a fight with a Demon Knight took like 15 seconds.
    What about Celestial Fury in BG2? It's even more powerful in my opinion. It could be nerfed the same way.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    i agree on CF in BG2 ... i like that weapon a lot, but it would be more fun if not tempted to use it in every playthrough just because it's so good ...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    i agree on CF in BG2 ... i like that weapon a lot, but it would be more fun if not tempted to use it in every playthrough just because it's so good ...

When we were creating the backstory for the Celestial Fury (it didn't have one in the original game), there was a strong temptation to modify its abilities to suit the backstory and make the weapon a bit more "fun" and a little less "super-duper powerful". In the end we left the abilities alone, but I agree that that weapon is very, very powerful.

The trade-off, I guess, is that it's only a +3 weapon, meaning that in Throne of Bhaal you're forced to make a decision about whether or not its special abilities are worth keeping it in use.
    Abellolien
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    There's also a huge difference in fighting a mid level party (after getting past some demons) vs walking into a open room and picking/bashing an unguarded lock right at the start of the game...
    Abel
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, that is a very sensitive issue. Best left to mods.
    Erg
    edited March 2016
    The cheat console accepts multiple lines, so if a forum note says:
    C:CreateItem("SW1h01")
    C:CreateItem("SW1h02")
    You can cut&paste both lines in a single action.

When i noticed this, i was very happy!
    Hmm... You still need to repeat the command though. Still, nice find!
    In case some people don't know (was there before v2), you can also add quantity: C:CreateItem("SCRL75",99)
    lolien
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Because scrolling for more options than space.
    Have you ever seen a list of buttons to be scrolled? It feels oddly wrong physically.
    Also, a bunch of buttons are not the right interface representation for a option list where you select one of them, then confirm somewhere else. Buttons are intended to activate or confirm something directly, not selecting something. It always felt wrong to me since 1998, but of course one gets used to it.

Besides that, talks about the style(!) of this new option lists are an ongoing topic in the forum.
    illathidThe_Guilty_PartyIthual
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    Because scrolling for more options than space.
    Have you ever seen a list of buttons to be scrolled? It feels oddly wrong physically.
    Also, a bunch of buttons are not the right interface representation for a option list where you select one of them, then confirm somewhere else. Buttons are intended to activate or confirm something directly, not selecting something. It always felt wrong to me since 1998, but of course one gets used to it.

Besides that, talks about the style(!) of this new option lists are an ongoing topic in the forum.

Most back lit buttons that I press in the real world will likely toggle the back light on/off. It's not at all nonsense. You are right though that very few have a secondary "confirm" button.
    Post edited by Franpa on
    XKalInsultion
    Finally, an in-game exit confirmation! No more switching to do after an ALT+F4 to select the exit window!
    o5fyllybobre.png
    cmk24JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladlolien
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Abel: I actually found that rather inconvenient when trying to close the game while it is minimized.
    Ithual
    @Thels I see what you mean though it automatically switches to the game in that case. Before this, I always had to switch manually to the exit box so either way it's an improvement for me.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Well I'm sure everyone noticed but.. such zoom, much wow.
    lolien
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Tresset wrote: »
    I don't know how I missed it for so long, but I just noticed that the XP value of all greater basilisks is now set to 7000. All of them! 7k! Now if only they could still attack...

Was it not 7000 before? I think it has always been that?
    Dharius wrote: »
    Thank you a lot for "Recruited BG:EE NPCs now appear with experience close to the player's total" and expecially for "Recruited BGII:EE NPCs now appear with experience close to the player's total" That is an excellent change in terms of how can I distribute develop NPCs I meet and distribute their proficiencies and abilities.

My 8th level Avenger at the start of BG2EE met 7th level Minsc.

It makes the game more challenging, as it looks like it's harder now to get higher level versions of NPCs. Combined with possible additional XP from SoD, it should help us to develop NPCs as we exactly want them. It would help greatly with BG2 Mazzy, for example!

Oooh, does this mean that Spellhold Imoen might reflect the party level better? I wonder....

@Dharius Now, thanks to answers of Dee and AlexT (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/722241/#Comment_722241 and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/728243/#Comment_728243) I can finally answer your question.

In 2.0 Imoen whom you meet in the Spellhold reflects the XP of your main character, and she can scale up to 1,250,000 XP.

Before 2.0, for BG2, NPC's XP has been determined by your party's level, not the main character's level alone (and take a note - not the XP, level). This has meant that when your party consisted only of characters (especially if there were multiclass characters) with different levels, you could get mixed results. And there were only certain versions of each NPCs, not for all possible combinations of levels.

Add to this the fact that in BG1EE a different system was used, and only your main character mattered, not the whole party (with different approaches to vanilla (who looked at your level) and EE (who looked at your XP) NPCs - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44897/how-is-companion-level-determined-when-they-join-you), and it's clear the previous system was very complicated.

Now, we have a system that is easily understandable and works like it was the case in ToB.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited April 2016
    Cerevant said:

Yes, indeed it does. QA threw a party for the dev team when this was implemented. I'm pretty sure it is implemented for most of the cutscenes in BG2, and we're looking to get it in for the Gorion cutscene in BG1.

Could these cutscenes (all cutscenes) be paused? That would be fantabulous!